• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

ZZ Gundam 47 END

You can tell this show went through a lot of mid-production rewrites. It spent too much time futzing around with side stories and not enough setting up or following up on big events like the colony drop or Glemy's rebellion.

It excelled at action, though. Even throwaway fight scenes were adequately entertaining, and some big moments are basically unrivaled.

Female representation was unexpectedly good, too. There's Haman, of course, but I also liked Elle and Rouka as interesting characters and competent pilots without any Lalah-archetype baggage.

The highs are higher than Zeta Gundam, but the lows are way lower. Still, a very good show. Onward to Unicorn!

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 47 END

You can tell this show went through a lot of mid-production rewrites. It spent too much time futzing around with side stories and not enough setting up or following up on big events like the colony drop or Glemy's rebellion.

It excelled at action, though. Even throwaway fight scenes were adequately entertaining, and some big moments are basically unrivaled.

Female representation was unexpectedly good, too. There's Haman, of course, but I also liked Elle and Rouka as interesting characters and competent pilots without any Lalah-archetype baggage.

The highs are higher than Zeta Gundam, but the lows are way lower. Still, a very good show. Onward to Unicorn!

Glad you liked it! Of the first three shows I kinda feel that ZZ has the best overall female cast. Zeta and MSG have a few women who outshine some of ZZ's, but I still really liked the likes of Haman, Roux and Elle. Puru and Chara are a bit more of an acquired taste, though, hahaha.

edit: and this is my favorite shot of Glemmy

That's the one thing they don't tell you. Living in space leads to various facial deformities.

o8P51.png

I'm really going to have to watch ZZ again aren't I. It seems like there's a lot that I just do not remember outside of Haman being cool, ZZ being giant and Mashymere being a Haman stalker and then blowing himself up towards the end. That and Judau was pretty chill. Outside of that I have almost no recollection of the show, though I do remember like the first 20 eps being awkward and the Moon Moon arc putting me to sleep.

CorvoSol

I'm really going to have to watch ZZ again aren't I. It seems like there's a lot that I just do not remember outside of Haman being cool, ZZ being giant and Mashymere being a Haman stalker and then blowing himself up towards the end. That and Judau was pretty chill. Outside of that I have almost no recollection of the show, though I do remember like the first 20 eps being awkward and the Moon Moon arc putting me to sleep.

ZZ goes like this:

After a long, terrible war, the Argama washes up at Shangrila and Bright gives no fucks anymore.

Judau and company proceed to dick around with the Zeta Gundam for 10 episodes. Everybody gets out of Shangrila and Glemmy starts creeping on girls.

Judau's sister is kidnapped and for a minute it looks like we gonna do serious shit. Tomino changes his mind and we Moon Moon for another two or so episodes.

Dicking around in space continues until we get to the actual moon. Shit goes down on the moon. Judau meets Haman somewhere in this time, becomes King Onii-sama to all Imoutos everywhere, and Haman wears slotted shades because fuck you it's the 80s.

Everybody goes to Earth, shit's terrible on the Earth. Haman is #KWEEN moding it up, but bad shit happens and Judau gets pissed the fuck off to the point of making Haman cry. Also Glemmy spends a week or a month in the desert kicking sand around because there aren't enough girls for him to harass.

AWESOME SHIT HAPPENS IN DUBLIN BUT TOMINO RUNS OUT OF TIME TO TIE IT UP.

We space again and people are dying and cross dressing and having crazy ass mood swings.

Requisite Three-Way battle for the control of the universe at the end. Judau socks Bright Noa in the face and flies off in a cool space ship with his cool mecha and his cool girlfriend.

ZZ goes like this:

After a long, terrible war, the Argama washes up at Shangrila and Bright gives no fucks anymore.

Judau and company proceed to dick around with the Zeta Gundam for 10 episodes. Everybody gets out of Shangrila and Glemmy starts creeping on girls.

Judau's sister is kidnapped and for a minute it looks like we gonna do serious shit. Tomino changes his mind and we Moon Moon for another two or so episodes.

Dicking around in space continues until we get to the actual moon. Shit goes down on the moon. Judau meets Haman somewhere in this time, becomes King Onii-sama to all Imoutos everywhere, and Haman wears slotted shades because fuck you it's the 80s.

Everybody goes to Earth, shit's terrible on the Earth. Haman is #KWEEN moding it up, but bad shit happens and Judau gets pissed the fuck off to the point of making Haman cry. Also Glemmy spends a week or a month in the desert kicking sand around because there aren't enough girls for him to harass.

We space again and people are dying and cross dressing and having crazy ass mood swings.

Requisite Three-Way battle for the control of the universe at the end. Judau socks Bright Noa in the face and flies off in a cool space ship with his cool mecha and his cool girlfriend.
You forgot about Kamille and Fa coming back with Kamille being some sort of a psychic now.

CorvoSol

Yes because you know people would rather watch Judau rescue his hister, booooooring, instead of Captain Bright and the Temple of Doom with Aztect Space Ninjas.

I never said Tomino's decision to Moon Moon was bad, and I hope the day never comes when I do.

Moon Moon was the precursor to Turn A's delicious lunar hippies, so I don't mind.

Acid08

Banned
Lol. Kamille will always be one of my favorites. Not as iconic as Amuro and required like twice the amount of Emma Sheen smacks and Wong beat downs, but I just like how he eventually just grew up, though was still pretty out spoken when needed to be.
Yeah, I'm not a big Zeta fan but I do like Kamille. Was really happy about the resolution him and Fa get in ZZ.

Yeah, I'm not a big Zeta fan but I do like Kamille. Was really happy about the resolution him and Fa get in ZZ.
Yeah in the end he wanted something out of his life and became a doctor with Fa becoming a nurse, unlike Amuro whom just lost himself in battle. He had trouble moving on since the end of MSG. I really don't know what he wanted out of his life to be honest.

Mussah92

ZZ goes like this:

LOL, i legit laughed. thats exactly how i felt when i first saw it.

After reading about ZZ for ages before actually watching it, i mentally prepared myself for stuff like Moon-Moon. I kinda ended up liking it *shrugs*

ahahhaahhaha
Back at home and got my flat coats and my paint gun and my spray box and my cleaner and my tools and oh sweet babies imma build so much
ahahhaaahaha

Beth Cyra

I enjoyed Corvol's description of ZZ, seems pretty spot on but not enough pimping of Judau being awesome and ZZ being an amazing suit.

We just where introduced to Dark Wing Zero EW, the addition of the lower Deathscythe Hell Wings was interesting, seems very much like a call back to Black Wing Zero EW from A New Dawn just a lack of the raven type wings.

Wing Zero EW is now officially the one being used in the Manga instead of Wing Zero EW OVA and that is alittle sad, the bulked up chest and the minor changes add up to being alot weaker suit then Wing Zero OVA.

Though that means that Wing Gundam Ver Ka/EW was the only suit through all of this that didn't undergo a large change from before the Manga to post.

yami4ct

We just where introduced to Dark Wing Zero EW, the addition of the lower Deathscythe Hell Wings was interesting, seems very much like a call back to Black Wing Zero EW from A New Dawn just a lack of the raven type wings.

Wing Zero EW is now officially the one being used in the Manga instead of Wing Zero EW OVA and that is alittle sad, the bulked up chest and the minor changes add up to being alot weaker suit then Wing Zero OVA.

Though that means that Wing Gundam Ver Ka/EW was the only suit through all of this that didn't undergo a large change from before the Manga to post.

Saw Dark Wing Zero over at GG, and man does that suit look stupid. Like 99% of Frozen Teardrop, it seems like dumb fan service made by and for 12 year olds. How is that novel series still going? At least we haven't gotten a model kit series based off it yet. Would be such a waste of Bandai's resources.

Beth Cyra

Saw Dark Wing Zero over at GG, and man does that suit look stupid. Like 99% of Frozen Teardrop, it seems like dumb fan service made by and for 12 year olds. How is that novel series still going? At least we haven't gotten a model kit series based off it yet. Would be such a waste of Bandai's resources.

Given Bandai actually produces stuff like Zeta A1/C1, Zeta Plus, FAZZ AGE FX, shit like Exia Avalanche Shading Gundam, and Banshee (which I love too mind) black versions don't seem stupid/Fan service by youguns any more then the pro stuff.

As far as model kits go? We have, you have to realize that Shenlong EW, Sandrock EW, Heavyarms EW, and Tallgeese EW are all here because of Glory/Frozen.

Now we are getting Wing Gundam Zero EW which is the new form of Wing Zero for these two things, and you can bet your butt that if we do end up seeing that Metoer Frame for the RG's it will be Altron, Sand Kai, Heavy Kai and Deathscythe Hell EW from Fozen and Glory and not the OVA variants.

As far as resources go, if anything it seems like this has been a huge benefit for Bandai so your assesemnt seems really off base, because some of the books sold as well or better then Unicorn novels as well as the model kit resurgence and by all accounts the Wing stuff has moved very well.

Granted one thing I will say is the quality isn't the greatest, however I don't think Wing's quality has ever been very high. Glory of the losers is very much an improvement over Wing TV, but Frozen seems like the quality of Wing TV and a step down from EW and Glory.

If you like Wing and it's characters there are some really fun elements that people will like, if you don't like Wing and hate the fact it did well (not you) then this will just make your blood boil over how anyone can actually enjoy the dreck.

Just think, AGE shows Bandai will pull the Plug just as X did before it. The Frozen/Glory stuff continues to do okay to good and the models and updates for the characters continue to move product with out the need for heavy discounts.

yami4ct

The problem with Wing Dark isn't that it's a black wing. That's a bit boring, but it'd be fine. It's that they feel the need to throw Deathscythe Wings on the hips for no reason. It's such a messy, unattractive design. It's the kind of unimaginative design that you do see from kids. "Wing Zero is cool. Deathscyth is cool. Let's stick them together"! There's no real thought to wether as a cohesive design it makes sense.

I have zero issues with Glory of the Losers. Reimagining Wing with Katoki designs throughout and making the series better is a great idea. God knows Wing needs improvement. Frozen Teardrop is the thing that I kind of can't stand. It's a bigger mess than even Wing TV, which wasn't even good to begin with.

Beth Cyra

The problem with Wing Dark isn't that it's a black wing. That's a bit boring, but it'd be fine. It's that they feel the need to throw Deathscythe Wings on the hips for no reason. It's such a messy, unattractive design. It's the kind of unimaginative design that you do see from kids. "Wing Zero is cool. Deathscyth is cool. Let's stick them together"! There's no real thought to wether as a cohesive design it makes sense.

I have zero issues with Glory of the Losers. Reimagining Wing with Katoki designs throughout and making the series better is a great idea. God knows Wing needs improvement. Frozen Teardrop is the thing that I kind of can't stand. It's a bigger mess than even Wing TV, which wasn't even good to begin with.

I'm actually of a similar mind set with the whole thing. I just don't see it any worse then things like FAZZ or Exia Avalanche.

Glory has been good, well at least an improvement. Frozen has largely been a flop with some good ideas here and there but largely a failure.

yami4ct

I'm actually of a similar mind set with the whole thing. I just don't see it any worse then things like FAZZ or Exia Avalanche.

There's at least some technical reasons for FAZZ or Avalanche to look the way they do. FAZZ gets increased firepower and armor. Avalanche is loaded with extra thrusters to make it even more maneuverable while adding armor. I don't like Avalanche either, but I do think Dark Wing is whole different level of stupid.

Beth Cyra

There's at least some technical reasons for FAZZ or Avalanche to look the way they do. FAZZ gets increased firepower and armor. Avalanche is loaded with extra thrusters to make it even more maneuverable while adding armor. I don't like Avalanche either, but I do think Dark Wing is whole different level of stupid.
Fair enough my friend I shall not challenge your right to that.

I think I may have less venom for it because I totally like the dark color scheme me and given the just bullshit craziness of the novels I'm not nearly as shocked as I should be by it.

CorvoSol

I enjoyed Corvol's description of ZZ, seems pretty spot on but not enough pimping of Judau being awesome and ZZ being an amazing suit.

Judau Ashta is a psychic giant robot piloting harem protagonist, mang. It's like, Hello, Char Aznable? Poptarts? Bitch, please, Judau Ashta is 10 years their junior and still manages to seduce the headdress off of Haman Khan. Ladies of all ages and cultures want his mental D. Whether you're a 12 year old sociopath, a poor african villager, 1980s Cruella DeVille or anywhere in between, satisfaction is guaranteed.

Also the ZZ Gundam has a fucking Hi-Mega-Particle Cannon on its forehead. It's like someone took a look at the Argama, said "Yeah but what if we gave it arms and legs?" and BOOM. ZZ Gundam. I mean it has TWO HANDED LIGHTSABERS. Even fucking Jedi don't go around carrying around beam zweihanders like it's nobody's business.

Someday some smart Japanese kid is gonna realize the potential and combine ZZ's design with Getter's design and build the ultimate combining robot.

yami4ct

Fair enough my friend I shall not challenge your right to that.

I think I may have less venom for it because I totally like the dark color scheme me and given the just bullshit craziness of the novels I'm not nearly as shocked as I should be by it.

I think I sound way angrier about the suit than I actually am. Something about the Frozen Teardrop suits does that to me. I could go on about that White Epiyon Wu pilots as well.

Pointing out more of my hypocrisy, I actually like this edition of the Wing Zero that's quite similar to the Dark.

I think the big difference for me is that the hip wings on the Wing Seraphim are the same angel wings and not just the DSHC's cloak stitched on.

Acid08

Banned
How are the HG Unicorn kits? I saw yesterday that there's a green frame HG Unicorn for waaaaaaay less than the MG costs. I like the Unicorn, but don't love it, so I don't know if I'm willing to shell out MG money for one.

yami4ct

How are the HG Unicorn kits? I saw yesterday that there's a green frame HG Unicorn for waaaaaaay less than the MG costs. I like the Unicorn, but don't love it, so I don't know if I'm willing to shell out MG money for one.

Pretty much all HGs post-SEED are pretty decent. Unicorn is a pretty simple design color-wise, so you don't need to paint it to get the full accurate color scheme. The HGs don't transform, but if all you want is a version of the Unicorn model, you'll do fine with that one. Just don't panel line in black. Looking at Dalong's red version and the harsh black lines make it look awful.

Acid08

Banned
Pretty much all HGs post-SEED are pretty decent. Unicorn is a pretty simple design color-wise, so you don't need to paint it to get the full accurate color scheme. The HGs don't transform, but if all you want is a version of the Unicorn model, you'll do fine with that one. Just don't panel line in black. Looking at Dalong's red version and the harsh black lines make it look awful.

Alright thanks. I really want a green frame model and unfortunately they're only available as Full Armor models. I have zero interest in all that.

Alright thanks. I really want a green frame model and unfortunately they're only available as Full Armor models. I have zero interest in all that.

You don't need to put on all the armaments. It comes with a basic Unicorn. The Full Armor stuff just goes over top it.

Acid08

Banned
You don't need to put on all the armaments. It comes with a basic Unicorn. The Full Armor stuff just goes over top it.

Yeah I know, but all that extra plastic drives the cost up. If it didn't I'd probably spring for the little bit extra for the MG. As it is now they're like $40 apart.

Acid08

Banned
My side cutters should be here just in time for Christmas break at school. Finally will get back to the MG God and it's ridiculously hard plastic runners!

Today's package!

I'm going to be building for a good long while. MG Turn X should be here later this week.

goddamn, nice man.

Those that have the PG Unicorn, how's the build? I've got my eye on one, and I'm seriously considering it..

I'll have to cancel another figure I've got on pre-order, but I mean.. this is the PG they said couldn't be done.

yami4ct

Is the MG TX the one you won? I think the MG QB is coming later for me cuz we ran into some scuffles to even get it, hahaha.

Yeah. The Turn X is the one I won. Mine was ordered after it could have shipped on Saturday, so it didn't ship until Monday. I expect it to get to me Thursday. Heard about the issues with your QB. Glad it got worked out. Can't wait to see it with your ZZ Slim.

Building the Hi-Nu Ver. Ka now and one thing that's so striking is the color. It shows blue in photos, but it's a very purple purple. Looks great. Just like the original art. Even though I did like the original MG, it wasn't accurate at all and it doesn't hold a candle to this kit. Just gorgeous.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My PG unicorn from AmiAmi is gonna get here tomorrow, but my LED kit hasn't even arrived at GGinfinite for them to ship yet T_T

Wubby

Those that have the PG Unicorn, how's the build? I've got my eye on one, and I'm seriously considering it..

I probably won't be taking a crack at mine for a little while. If you are really curious I suggest you watch the series of build videos HLJ did on the PG Unicorn. Then you can really see for yourself. But imo this kit is worth it. Even if you don't spring for the extra LED set it's an impressive kit. They had one built already on display at a local shop. Looks really great!

Link to part one of the HLJ videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gFZEsW-n4E

Also it looks like those who haven't already bought a PG Unicorn or LED set may be waiting a while... The next batch wont be out till spring.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/544447103888416768

I'm glad I ended up deciding to get the LED set too. It's selling for more than 2x what I paid for it on Amazon.jp now. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom