• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Wait, people don't own hobby knives yet? How do you build without them? Here's a tip. Grab this thing.

http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives/knives/Z-Series-1-Precision-Knife.aspx

Less than $5 and available at Wal-Mart as well as some major hobby retailers. Also pick up bunch of #11 replacement Z-Blades. That way, you can just toss them out a spoon as they start to dull and you'll never hurt yourself. Best hobby knife I've ever used. Just make sure you get the Z-Series and not the regular stuff. The Z-Series is significantly sharper and easier to use in my experience.

Wings of Light and thruster effects are probably my favorite thing. Shame Bandai doesn't do more of them outside of the RD line. Would definitely import a set of effect parts, even if they were P-Bandai exclusive.
Listen to this person on the knives.

They will cause issues at first as your learn there feel and you will likely cut in the plastic every now and then if your not careful but it will make your kits look ten times better when you clean those nubs

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
A filer will also be useful, you saved so much sandpaper with that you'll recover the money back after a few kits.

NEO0MJ

Beargguy III doesn't have much panels to line... right?

Yeah, there aren't many details you have to fill. Just the groves and holes in the chest near the neck and stomach, paws, and feet. Here's some places I think you can ink.

16071666332_588bc7d4c0_o.png
16070439771_151f028b77_o.png

You should also line the circles under little Bearguy's feet, forgot to circle those.

What do you guys use the hobby knives for? To cut the little plastic feathers that get stuck after taking them from the runners and what not? You know aside from adding your own personal lines and so forth.

I usually just sand mine down ;p Then again I paint as well so cant really notice it haha.

But time for some sad news guys. I asked for the PG Unicorn as xmas gift... apparently I got an Xbox One instead. There's nothing I even want on it.

tumblr_inline_n6mfwgZGc71rynssr.gif

ugh

First world problems.

top coats are usually lacquer I think. You do not want to breathe that shit in.

Hell no. Gotta have ya mask and exhaust current.

Anyway, I thought I went light, basically going for bare-minimum 100% coverage. Looking at another model I tested going heavier with the clearcoat on... Yeah, minimum is the way to go. It makes the colors look more vivid, where I feel the heavier coat made other kit seem a bit dingy. Still looks good, but yeah. Less is more, you know? I'm only wanting to subtract properties from the plastic, rather than trying to add something.

Rewatching G Gundam and just got to the Neo Mexico episode and dear God the shot of Mexico's Space Colony just being a sombrero with some cactus on it killed me.
Like how big are those cacti? Kilometers high?

kpyqut.jpg

Rewatching G Gundam and just got to the Neo Mexico episode and dear God the shot of Mexico's Space Colony just being a sombrero with some cactus on it killed me.
Like how big are those cacti? Kilometers high?

kpyqut.jpg
Could've been a donkey shaped pinata...I'm not sure which is worse. That colony probably just exports churro's.

Acid08

Banned
The leg frame on this fucking MG God. Screws, lining up pistons that aren't held in by anything. That 2003 model.

Some of these lining channels are sooo shallow too. So hard to wipe away the excess without wiping away the actual line too.

Looks cool though. Getting the hang of it more.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So uh... I thought I was gonna buy a typical hoppy knife... apparently there's two of them, a modelling knife and a crafting knife. I bought the modelling knife - did I get the right one? I'm a beginner.

Yeah, there aren't many details you have to fill. Just the groves and holes in the chest near the neck and stomach, paws, and feet. Here's some places I think you can ink.

16071666332_588bc7d4c0_o.png
16070439771_151f028b77_o.png

You should also line the circles under little Bearguy's feet, forgot to circle those.
I guess a gelpen should be enough then?

speaking of which I had a hard time choosing between Beargguy III and Beargguy F. I eventually picked III but I might get F later on.

NEO0MJ

I guess a gelpen should be enough then?

speaking of which I had a hard time choosing between Beargguy III and Beargguy F. I eventually picked III but I might get F later on.

Whoops, thought that you bought the F. Still, what I posted applied to the original.

A gelpen would be terrible, don't use it! You want a small and thin marker/felt-tip technical pen. These work great on plastic and can easily squeeze inside the groves. It should be no thicker than .3 MM.

Acid08

Banned
As weird as it sounds, I switched to using mechanical pencil and I much prefer the look. (Once you clearcoat, it's there forever) I never went in for the really bold lines most people seem to go for.

I think it depends on the Gundam too. For the God I'm going with black lining all over because I think it gives it more of an outlandish, hard edged look. Fits well with the suit. When I get the Goose I'll be doing it in grey, maybe with some weathering, to make it look a bit more realistic.

Boss Doggie

Whoops, thought that you bought the F. Still, what I posted applied to the original.

A gelpen would be terrible, don't use it! You want a small and thin marker/felt-tip technical pen. These work great on plastic and can easily squeeze inside the groves. It should be no thicker than .3 MM.

Okay, any thin marker pen should be cheap, I'll get those.

Did I get the right knife btw?

Anyone reading Gundam the Origin still? Volume 8 came out last week!

I'm only about half way through. It's pretty freaking good. Now that the story is back at 0079, I'm loving the fact that Sleggar joins the crew before Odessa.

Just picked up Sengoku Astray from my local hobby shop. Found out they are participating in the Gundam.info New Year Campaign. I didn't win :( Also found out the guys there are getting first dibs at the PG Unicorn and all of the Build Fighters Try models :(

yami4ct

Still plugging away at the PG Unicorn. Have the body, waist, legs and an arm built so far. Still need to get the LEDs repaired for the one leg, but installing them after shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably do a full build review when I'm done, but let me say this build is difficult. It's not hard in a frustrating way, it's just highly exacting and technical. With the LEDs it's almost nightmare level complexity. Even with a ton of GunPla experience, this guy sort of scares me. The worst of the wiring is done, so it's all downhill from here, but it's certainly been an experience. Would not recommend this guy to anyone who's not build their fair share of kits. It was probably a poor choice of a first PG for me as well. It looks stunning as it's getting completed, but I've probably almost had a heart attack 20 times while building him.

MG Turn X is also almost done. He's quickly become one of my favorite MGs purely from a build perspective. So different and fun. Everyone should buy that kit because it's great.

Boss Doggie

goddamnit I went to the mall and forgot to buy a marker, i guess I'll try tomorrow

Ooo they're selling 7-11 Beargguy... which is really just a green Beargguy. wut

Acid08

Banned
ibjaMupXHsKICS.jpg

Finished up the lower body and head today, had built the arms previously. Had to take apart and rebuild the other leg because I had put the screws in too tight and it was messing with the way all the other pieces lined up. Also a couple of those frame pieces were a bit misshapen, leading to me having to carve them a bit with my hobby knife to get them to fit smoothly.

Lining has been a bit frustrating because the kit doesn't actually provide good channels to line where it's shown on the box. I know the images on the box are professionally done and all but my previous MG experience has always been that if there's lining on the box there's going to at least be a channel for you to take advantage of. Not so on this one, the lines going down to inside and outside of the legs are particularly frustrating. The model on the box shows that there are thick black lines there but the "channel' is actually just a seam line between the four different pieces of armor that make up the legs. So the lining you can do there isn't even noticeable, the pieces also shift around because they fit into their slots pretty loosely. I've had pieces of the leg armor just fall off multiple times while trying to line/clean up the thing. The head is a lining nightmare too with all of the suuuuuuuuuuuper shallow lines in there. I have it looks okay right now but I'll have to clean it up more.

Other cool thing that happened: went to take a sticker off of the sheet and the thing came off without any of the sticky stuff on it! So I just have a useless scrap of paper. I might just have to get my acrylics out to paint the part since the sticker was just a thick black one. I scribbled it in with black lining marker for now. Other thing was the stickers for the camera lenses seemed to be slightly too big so I just painted that with a metallic green Gundam Marker I had around.

I still think the kit looks good but this hasn't been the most fun build. Unfortunate because the God is one of my favorite suits. In better news though, those Xuron cutters are boss and I'm liking the curved blades on my knife! They make it a bit easier to carve the nubs out(though I'm still not very good at it).

Staring at a Qubeley head on, I can see why they scare a little kid.
That's interesting. It always seemed like one of the more non threatening slightly feminine looking mobile suit designs. Maybe I'm just too used to Aila's...then again I'm not 3.
And I just finished looking at the Qubeley Papilion...yeah that can be an evil looking mobile suit.
scx8.gif

Just finished Volume 8 of The Origin.

Hate to say it, but this is the definitive version of the One Year War story. So perfect. A little disappointed with the Gyan's outting though

NEO0MJ

How does one know if it's a panel to be lined anyway?

Also black generally works with all colors yes?

It might help to look at press shots of a model kit if you're worried, but generally anything inside a piece of plastic that can be lines should be lined.

And yeah black works with almost every color of plastic, except for black. If you have a black part you'll have to use a gray/silver color to panel line it which probably means you'll need to do a wash.

Hello gundamgaf!

I'm an recent inductee into gundam models and man I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started this journey.

I knew enough that SD Gundams were a good place, with some help from animegaf as well, to start for a beginner so purchased the SD Winning Gundam off amazon last week. Welp seems my Secret Santa was able to read my mind and got me first model kit instead!

So I'm thinking cool awesome this will be fun!

Then I opened it up:

This shit is fucking scary. I don't have the tools for this simply because I was not expecting to get something like this for Christmas. So now I'm off to study the instructions and try to figure out what I need so I can get some kind of tool kit off amazon.

Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom