• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Are there any SD Gundam that is HG outside of Winning? Because I want Ryuubi/Lu Bei Gundam.

It might help to look at press shots of a model kit if you're worried, but generally anything inside a piece of plastic that can be lines should be lined.

And yeah black works with almost every color of plastic, except for black. If you have a black part you'll have to use a gray/silver color to panel line it which probably means you'll need to do a wash.

All right, will keep this in mind.

NEO0MJ

I wish I got a Christmas gift ;_;

Yeah but very limited.

There was decent promotion of gunpla by Bandai in the US; I still remember the TV commercials and the level system lol.

Not just Bandai, Hasbro also released US version of Zoids.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A near merchandizing/anime store finally started to sell gunpla. U$S80 for a HG... :(

That is daylight robbery.

Why not just order from the internet? Unless you're living outside of the US?

Acid08

Banned
V5sg9EF.jpg

Christmas was good to this Gundam fan.

I didn't get anything Gundam related this year. Actually, I didn't really get much of anything. I don't mind though, it was a nice morning. Besides, I just bought Volume 8 last week.

PhiLonius

I had a little money left over on an Amazon gift card and figured I hadn't bought a kit in a while so now was as good a time as any.
It was a toss up between a HG Exia or HG Sparrow but I didn't have any 00 kits so I rolled with the Exia. Now to look for the toolbox.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

08th MS Team END

7ddZRba.jpg
gonxlsl.jpg

One of the greatest gundam fights I've ever seen.

And so I have finished my second series in my journey through the history of gundam. I must admit halfway through I honestly considered dropping this. The reason being was not for the battles, or the team dynamics or anything else. I just hated the way way the romance was done in the story and the whole ace solider who constantly disobeys orders and is never punished for it even though his actions, all in the name of love, resulted in the deaths of countless people on the Fed side and honestly didn't really accomplish much in my opinion except get rid of that weapon.

Oh what? The old bullshit line about "Can love bloom on the battlefield between two opposite sides?" Oh fucking please. When you force it as hard as they did from the first episode of course it would. At certain points I'm sitting here watching this thinking "He's just watching her fucking vaporize his comrades and he's still hanging onto her ass all in the name of love!?" And throughout all of this the most his bosses do and give him timeout for a day? Jesus Christ. Oh and of course the one of his higher ups who didn't trust him was of course killed because fuck having someone who didn't like their relationship staying around. And let's not have me get fucking started on the ending cause holy crap. Of course they fucking survived because...because that's a fucking cuter ending even though it makes no fucking sense why they'd still be alive in the first place but whatever this was actually a romance and not a space opera so I should have expected that.

What honestly saved this show for me was the showdown battle with the Gouf Custom and the way his team worked together, argued and struggled for one another despite having such a shitty and unreliable commander.
All and all I'd have to rate this on the lower end of the gundam series I've watched, like below Gundam AGE tier and probably wouldn't recommend it if someone asked.

Onto Turn A Gundam next.

All these divisive opinions on 8th MS team almost make me want to watch. Unfortunately I'll probably find out that I was better of not seeing it after all has been said and done.

Turn A is great though, best thing Tomino has created. From what I've seen anyway, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3 and Let Gaim being my major gaps.

All these divisive opinions on 8th MS team almost make me want to watch. Unfortunately I'll probably find out that I was better of not seeing it after all has been said and done.

Turn A is great though, best thing Tomino has created. From what I've seen anyway, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3 and Let Gaim being my major gaps.
The action is good, the romance it heaps onto you is ham handed and distracting though.

NEO0MJ

No matter how bad you thing 8th MS Team is, you gotta admit that the Gouf Custom VS everything fight was one of the finest, if not the finest fight in the Gundam series.

08th MS Team END
At certain points I'm sitting here watching this thinking "He's just watching her fucking vaporize his comrades and he's still hanging onto her ass all in the name of love!?" And throughout all of this the most his bosses do and give him timeout for a day? .

My memory might be fuzzy...but I'm pretty sure that's not what happened. I don't think there was ever a scene like you described, at least not with anyone dying and
he was almost courtmarshalled and sentenced to death by firing squad

NEO0MJ

Might as well post what I got recently.

16086121636_83fdfda258_b.jpg

I want to just build this simply. How do we cut nubs so it can be easier to split partsi n the future should I want to paint this?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I opened my christmas gift and started building the guy, holy shit I didn't know Beargguy III is huge!

imag0008577x1024tna6z.jpg

Haven't started paneling because holy shit it makes a mess D:

Also I have a qualm about this kit - are its shoulder guards meant to be unattatched/loose?

yami4ct

Slight update on my builds.

PG Unicorn: Still need to find someone to fix the leg LEDs, but confident that won't be an issue. Ran into a problem with the right bicep to elbow joint. A slight mismolding caused the joint to ruin the polycap and no longer hold the arm. Even Future/Masking Tape cannot fix. HLJ will be getting me replacements for the two pieces that make the joint and the polycap, so no big deal, but full picture review is on hold until then. Will likely still decal in the meantime. Whole kit is actually built now, so I'll probably write a build review at some point.

MG Turn X: Build is done and almost finished with decals. Will also do a build review because I adore this thing and want to talk about it. Will write that sometime soon.

HG Build Burning, MG Turn A and RG Wing Zero EW should all arrive sometime next week.

xillyriax

I opened my christmas gift and started building the guy, holy shit I didn't know Beargguy III is huge!

imag0008577x1024tna6z.jpg

Haven't started paneling because holy shit it makes a mess D:

Also I have a qualm about this kit - are its shoulder guards meant to be unattatched/loose?
where's the shoulder armor? o_O
The guards on my bear are loose as well, probably meant to be as it rotates with the arm movement

Been debating what I wanted to spend my xmas money on and could not really find any games I wanted or needed to have... sooooooo I started looking at the gunpla of course. Been thinking I should get a Unicorn of some type to go along with my Banshee BB Senshi, which btw these things are adorable, especially the "bad guy" suits, almost pulled the trigger on 5 of them tonight.

Debating between a the HC versions of ZZ Dreissen, Unicorn Destroy Mode, or Throne Eins. Then I saw this glorious bitch.

I'm going for it guys! Love the character and this suit, which is weird cause I think the original Gyan is a freaking nightmare to look at. All I need now is some $150 figure of Gyanko bent over showing the goods in a lewd completely non-cannon way and I'll be satisfied. There is a delightful/scary amount of *ahem* fan art for her which is great since it means I'm not the only one haha.

Still want to get one more though cannot decide what.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Might as well post what I got recently.

16086121636_83fdfda258_b.jpg

I want to just build this simply. How do we cut nubs so it can be easier to split partsi n the future should I want to paint this?

You cut it at an angle so that the peg have the same height, but less surface tension. It takes a bit of trial and error, if it became too loose just glue it after you done painting. You don't need to do it on every connections, just the one that you need to disassemble to paint.

images

I want to get back to gunpla, but it is too cold to paint :(

edit:
This shit is fucking scary. I don't have the tools for this simply because I was not expecting to get something like this for Christmas. So now I'm off to study the instructions and try to figure out what I need so I can get some kind of tool kit off amazon.

This guide explains everything: http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide

WIP pics on Ver Ka Nu:

A lot more work left to do. But MAN... they should really have a single-piece fin-funnel that is hollow and light weight. It's cool that every funnel can be attached and dispatched in any fashion, but I would like once solid piece, personally, because I like the way it looks on Amuro's back and don't really dig the fragility of it.

Acid08

Banned
So looks like I'll be making my first HLJ order soon, they're getting three kits in stock in Jan that I want: HG ZZ, MG Shining, and MG Master. All of them are under $20 too which is awesome. Only thing I'm concerned about is shipping costs.

So looks like I'll be making my first HLJ order soon, they're getting three kits in stock in Jan that I want: HG ZZ, MG Shining, and MG Master. All of them are under $20 too which is awesome. Only thing I'm concerned about is shipping costs.

HLJ was great when I used them. Them following the trends of the yen vs. dollar is the best thing ever. If I remember right I got their fastest shipping with tracking which came FedEx. Super fast and packed very well. But if I remember right it was a bit more expensive than other places for shipping.

Their customer service and most of their workers in general seem to be all expats with fluent english which is a plus.

Acid08

Banned
Got one of the GP Base action bases

Even though it only cost me a couple bucks I still felt like I was ripped off. What a piece of trash this thing is! Super flimsy and the insert is a fucking piece of paper you have to but out of the instruction manual yourself. It isn't even blue like it the show, it's a shitty grey. Would not recommend at all but hey I wanted something fitting for the Fenice.

Beth Cyra

Got one of the GP Base action bases

Even though it only cost me a couple bucks I still felt like I was ripped off. What a piece of trash this thing is! Super flimsy and the insert is a fucking piece of paper you have to but out of the instruction manual yourself. It isn't even blue like it the show, it's a shitty grey. Would not recommend at all but hey I wanted something fitting for the Fenice.

Yeah the Base has got nothing but horrible reviews from what I've seen.

Honestly I'm hoping they do a round two with a MG 1/100 Base down the line when they do Wing F MG as all the Wing's look much better vertical.

Finish my sd sengoku astray, sd are fun, they took a lot longer than my usual hg kit because I had to sloppily paint the color because the color separation is very basic. Panel lining with gundam marker, a bit messy, but look good in a distance I think, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom