• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

So looks like I'll be making my first HLJ order soon, they're getting three kits in stock in Jan that I want: HG ZZ, MG Shining, and MG Master. All of them are under $20 too which is awesome. Only thing I'm concerned about is shipping costs.

HLJ is great. For buying anything other than Toku figures, I've had nothing but amazing experiences with them. Shipping will be a bit more, being that it comes straight from Japan, but with their discounts already on the kits as well as the great dollar to yen exchange, it will still be far cheaper than buying domestically. People say that they charge a bit more for shipping, but I've never really had that experience. Granted, I haven't used AmiAmi or HobbySearch much, but when I have the shipping has been right in the same wheelhouse. Their customer service is aces and more than makes up for any potentially shipping increase.

Bleh Amazon sold out of the R-GyaGya, bought from a third party selling for the same price... hope it comes out ok since everyone seems to be sold out. Aside from domestic stores selling it for 30+ #N.O.P.E. Store reviews saying they ship faster than estimates, so hopefully it does get here before the other places were going to restock... whenever that was.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Finally got around to watching War in the Pocket. Bernie
cry.gif

Also, I wish someone gave me a heads up the first episode of ZZ was a complete waste of time. Its a weird mix of backstory and for some reason an abridged version of the second episode. I can't imagine fans were happy seeing it back when it aired.

yami4ct

Final haul of the year.

Already built HG Burning. That kit is so good. Complex in a way HGs aren't. So fun. Also, I really hope every HG that can steals the chest/shoulder assembly. That little bit of sliding helps tremendously in posability and the shoulder design holds together much better than most HGs I've built.

Will probably build RG Wing Zero next as I'm super looking forward to that kit. Took a quick peek at Turn A and was surprised at how few runners there were in that box. Makes sense given the price, but was still surprising.

Acid08

Banned
Not sure how much I even want to panel line the MG Goose. I'll do the major stuff but seriously, I like the clean look of some of the parts without lining the crevices.

Reuenthal

Banned
I haven't watched any Gundam in part because there are a million of them but I am thinking of starting, and starting from the first. But even then there are two choices that seem divisive. What is better Gundam 0079 films or tv show?

Beth Cyra

Final haul of the year.

Already built HG Burning. That kit is solid good. Complex in a way HGs aren't. So fun. Also, I really hope every HG that can steals the chest/shoulder assembly. That little bit of sliding helps tremendously in posability and the shoulder design holds together much better than most HGs I've built.

Will probably build RG Wing Zero next as I'm super looking forward to that kit. Took a quick peek at Turn A and was surprised at how few runners there were in that box. Makes sense given the price, but was still surprising.

Could I ask a favor? By chance can you look at the sticker sheet and see if there y even gave a sticker for the proper head camera color?

I don't it as they do not give them all white hands that Zero is oftentimes shown with.

frye

I haven't watched any Gundam in part because there are a million of them but I am thinking of starting, and starting from the first. But even then there are two choices that seem divisive. What is better Gundam 0079 films or tv show?

Both are worth watching but if it's one or the other go for the movies.

yami4ct

Could I ask a favor? By chance can you look at the sticker sheet and see if there y even gave a sticker for the proper head camera color?

I don't it as they do not give them all white hands that Zero is oftentimes shown with.

Just checked. Only sticker provided for the camera eye is a green one. If you want an anime accurate violet, looks like you'll have to paint it.

To be slightly fair to Bandai, this "Ver. EW" is already a slight redesign of the Custom, so it's not necessarily inaccurate, just a tweaked design.

Alright so I've been wanting to get into Gundam figures for quite a fucking while now and since I got a little extra cash over Christmas I was thinking about getting one of the Burning HGBF's. Maybe Build.

Are these good places to start or am I making a huge mistake?

NEO0MJ

Alright so I've been wanting to get into Gundam figures for quite a fucking while now and since I got a little extra cash over Christmas I was thinking about getting one of the Burning HGBF's. Maybe Build.

It should be just fine for a beginner.

Not sure how much I even want to panel line the MG Goose. I'll do the major stuff but seriously, I like the clean look of some of the parts without lining the crevices.

Yeah. I'd go for the subtle lining, where it just makes the lines look a bit more noticeable but if you didn't know any better you'd swear it wasn't there.

I guess I should get to work lining Nu... but man, it looks so good right now I almost don't want to fuck with it. :( Honestly, there aren't many panel lines on this thing.

Beth Cyra

Just checked. Only sticker provided for the camera eye is a green one. If you want an anime accurate violet, looks like you'll have to paint it.

To be slightly fair to Bandai, this "Ver. EW" is already a slight redesign of the Custom, so it's not necessarily inaccurate, just a tweaked design.
I know it's technically not in correct, I had just hoped they'd have the option on the sticker sheet since the MG only had green as well.

Thanks!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Happy New Years GundamGAF. SD Wing Zero Custom. Not color accurate and just wanted to test some techniques. Not happy with the oil lining but happy with the colors and will use them on the eventual MG.

That was my first paint test build also, it was like 5 bucks on amazon =D I used sky blue for the wing. Using grey or light grey to panel line the wing just felt weird.

------------
In case no one saw this, I found this 1/144 HG Kshatriya on reddit, one of the most freaking amazing mod job I saw so far. I can't believe it was originally a HG.

http://imgur.com/a/5bIxX#A0cUCSP

Almost anything HG (High Grade) is good for beginners. That or a SD Gundam kit, but those are smaller which might make it a bit more difficult for those of us with big hands.

So yeah, HG Build Burning Gundam is a good starter. They are not as hard as they look to make. Even if you cannot read Japanese the instructions for actually putting them together come with almost no actual text descriptions, its all pictures. If there is text its usually just saying stuff you could probably have figured out yourself like "put this piece in upside down" when its the only way it would fit ect.

Acid08

Banned
Well thanks to Amazon having a rare fuck up with shipping my stuff my Real Touch markers won't be here until Friday. Will just continue building the Goose and will see if I can make any touch ups with them when they get here.

It should be just fine for a beginner.

Almost anything HG (High Grade) is good for beginners. That or a SD Gundam kit, but those are smaller which might make it a bit more difficult for those of us with big hands.

So yeah, HG Build Burning Gundam is a good starter. They are not as hard as they look to make. Even if you cannot read Japanese the instructions for actually putting them together come with almost no actual text descriptions, its all pictures. If there is text its usually just saying stuff you could probably have figured out yourself like "put this piece in upside down" when its the only way it would fit ect.

Fuck yea alright! Let's do this shit.

yami4ct

HG Build Burning would be a great place to start. It's not a difficult build, but it's complex in a fun way. Amazing finished product just OOB. I'd also suggest grabbing SD Winning and HG Lightning and its BWS. They interact together in a fun way.

Acid08

Banned

Goose progress. I think this thing looks fucking sick so far, really happy with it. Way less frustrating to put together than the MG God, these newer MG kits really shine. Just have to finish the backpack and weapons now.

Only negative I have so far is the eyes. You just put a clear piece in front of a big silver sticker so the eyes are just clear. In all of the box shots it shows blue eyes so I expected a blue sticker. Kind of disappointing.

HG Build Burning would be a great place to start. It's not a difficult build, but it's complex in a fun way. Amazing finished product just OOB. I'd also suggest grabbing SD Winning and HG Lightning and its BWS. They interact together in a fun way.

Alright yea thanks! Will definitely check those out.

duckroll

Hmmmm. Build the SD Winning Gundam today. Kinda underwhelmed. Haven't played around with the core fighter transformation or the winning knuckle stuff yet, but overall it's kinda boring for a SD kit, at least the more fun ones. Maybe it's because I already saw the Star Winning Gundam designs though. Lol.

Will try and take some pics of Puchigguy playing with Winning later.

Goose progress. I think this thing looks fucking sick so far, really happy with it. Way less frustrating to put together than the MG God, these newer MG kits really shine. Just have to finish the backpack and weapons now.

Only negative I have so far is the eyes. You just put a clear piece in front of a big silver sticker so the eyes are just clear. In all of the box shots it shows blue eyes so I expected a blue sticker. Kind of disappointing.

Wow that does look great, how much added work did you do to it?

Beth Cyra

MG Tallgeese is nice.

I really like the alterations like putting the thrusters on the back instead of the arms. I agree on the eyes and I was reall shocked that there is no mid foot articulation, the design just screams for it.

I love it and it would be and it would be a great base for an MG Leo and Virgo.

Acid08

Banned
Happy New Year everyone! 2014 was a big year for me as a Gundam fan, I got back into the franchise this in a big way. In just the last year I took in this stuff for the first time: GBF(the reason I go back into Gundam), 0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, F91, Crossbone, Turn A, 00, and SEED with re-watches of Wing and G. Some of them were incredible, some trash....but I've really loved getting back into all this stuff, especially Gunpla. This year I definitely will check out 0080, 0083, and 08th. Not sure about the rest but we'll see.

Wow that does look great, how much added work did you do to it?
All I did was line part of the head and the rest of the major channels. I actually like the way it looks with minimal lining. I put decals on it today, I'll post pictures of it tomorrow. Overall I think it turned out really well, was a super fun and pretty simple kit to put together. Highly recommend.

MG Tallgeese is nice.

I really like the alterations like putting the thrusters on the back instead of the arms. I agree on the eyes and I was reall shocked that there is no mid foot articulation, the design just screams for it.

I love it and it would be and it would be a great base for an MG Leo and Virgo.

Yeah the foot articulation is surprisingly sub-par, they barely move at all. MG Leo would be so awesome, I think the only newish Leo stuff out there are the RD figures.

RangerBAD

Happy New Year everyone! 2014 was a big year for me as a Gundam fan, I got back into the franchise this in a big way. In just the last year I took in this stuff for the first time: GBF(the reason I go back into Gundam), 0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, F91, Crossbone, Turn A, 00, and SEED with re-watches of Wing and G. Some of them were incredible, some trash....but I've really loved getting back into all this stuff, especially Gunpla. This year I definitely will check out 0080, 0083, and 08th. Not sure about the rest but we'll see.

Prepare the tissues.

I'm sorry, but you are required to watch AGE.

I blew through Unicorn over New Year's so I could play the series official mode in Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn and not feel bad about it.

So good

PhiLonius

I've seen Seed Destiny like 4 times and survived. Is age really that much worse?

Destiny is train-wreck bad. It's not very good but, in a weird way, it is still somewhat watchable.

AGE is just outright bad in almost every way a show could be.
Characters, designs, motivations, story, depiction of female characters, its predictability. It falls short everywhere.
The few bright spots in the show turn to shit very quickly or aren't even given a chance to go anywhere. It finds a way to run most every Gundam trope into the ground. The last 10 or so episodes still somehow manage to nosedive into new levels of mediocrity.

Having said all that I still think you should give it a watch.

Destiny is train-wreck bad. It's not very good but, in a weird way, it is still somewhat watchable.

AGE is just outright bad in almost every way a show could be.
Characters, designs, motivations, story, depiction of female characters, its predictability. It falls short everywhere.
The few bright spots in the show turn to shit very quickly or aren't even given a chance to go anywhere. It finds a way to run most every Gundam trope into the ground. The last 10 or so episodes still somehow manage to nosedive into new levels of mediocrity.

Having said all that I still think you should give it a watch.
Sounds like a challenge. I even came out of Victory Gundam liking it, but this sounds like shit. I know Corvo rants about it a lot...should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom