• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zakrello is badass compared to the stupid junk Zanscare calls mobile armors in Victory.
True. They either have those stupid bug eyes or they just roll around in giant wheels. I'm convinced everybody in the Zanscare Empire was just flat out insane. Busting out a guillotine, jettisoning people into space for failing to do something, big ol' plan being to mind rape and turn the entire human race into vegetables and who knows what else I'm forgetting.

RangerBAD

Well, the tissue comment was about 0080, but, yeah, you are required to watch AGE and Destiny and anything else you've heard bad things about in the Gundam metaverse. lol

Well, the tissue comment was about 0080, but, yeah, you are required to watch AGE and Destiny and anything else you've heard bad things about in the Gundam metaverse. lol
My watches for this year will most likely be ZZ (2nd time), Build Fighters Try and Reconguista in G...and fucking AGE. I've read about all of the reactions to AGE on here, but I've never seen it...should really watch Turn A as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iMAqCn8rzjbTl.jpg
"How many more times must I kill that girl and her dog?"

Entering this New Year's Campaign thing:

What is your favorite GUNDAM series? &#8251 said:
GUNDAM(1st)
GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS
GUNDAM AGE
GUNDAM WING
GUNDAM SEED series
GUNDAM 00
GUNDAM UC(Unicorn)
Z GUNDAM
Char's Counterback
SD Sangokuden
-GUNPLA Builder
GUNDAM THOUNDERBOLT
Other
RIP Crossbone, G.

Year 2015 will be 35th anniversary for Gunpla (Gundam Model Kit) said:
Gundam Crossbone Anime or OVA
I did my sworn duty.

Acid08

Banned
Goose is loose.

Overall I really like this kit. It's the first one I bothered to decal up too and I think they look pretty good! I didn't put them all on, seriously Hajime chill out with the 50+ decals, but I put on a good amount of them.

-Looks amazing, I think this one shines with minimal lining
-Great colors, love the off white/grey pieces
-Cool gimmicks for the backpack
-Super solid parts, almost nothing is loose
-Almost no stickers

(mild)Dislikes:
-Eyes are a boring grey, box shows blue. I expected a blue sticker
-The yellow stickers on the backpack are shit and I hate them
-Gun is kind of plain looking
-The hand that holds the shield can pop off if you barely touch it

Bonus: Gunbuster is not impressed.

PhiLonius

"How many more times must I kill that girl and her dog?"

Entering this New Year's Campaign thing:

RIP Crossbone, G.

I did my sworn duty.

Having that other category kind of hurts lol.

And Maoh is probably the closest you'll get to having Crossbone animated.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've never even heard of Gundam Thunderbolt what the hell is that?

Strikerrr

Banned
Manga with one of the coolest GMs ever.

It is a side story during 0079 about a sector of space being held by Zeon and the Federation trying to clear them out. I think. I've only read a few.

It's pretty easy to find the first volume online, but it was never translated beyond that. I like the art and mechanical designs, which are inspired by NASA space equipment. The story takes place in the remains of Side 4 "Mua", also known as the Thunderbolt Sector due to the electrical discharges that happen when some of the debris collides. Zeon forces use the area to move supplies to A Baoa Qu and set up a unit of mobile suit snipers to defend it. The unit is unique because all of its members have lost limbs in the war and are testing a psychoframe-like system that allows them to control the mobile suits like their prosthetics. On the other side, a Federation unit made of refugees from Mua nicknamed the "Mua Brotherhood" try to clear out the snipers and reclaim their lost home. Eventually, a Gundam is sent to assist in the operation and it is portrayed as being menacing and destructive.
latest

Enron

Banned
Manga with one of the coolest GMs ever.

It is a side story during 0079 about a sector of space being held by Zeon and the Federation trying to clear them out. I think. I've only read a few.

With crazy-ass designs. Lots of attachment arms holding lots of LARGE weapons. There's a zaku that has 4 bazookas on its back, and a zaku with a GIANT anti-MS rifle.

Goose is loose.

Looks great! Really gotta invest in a MG eventually, if I ever get job lol. Spent the last $45 or so of my "post xmas gifts for myself budget" on medicine of all things :/ Guess I gotta try and make the R Gyagya last when it arrives.

Speaking of, planning on experimenting a bit with non Gundam markers this time around. I feel like the results should be the same but... we'll see haha.

Shun

Made first Gunpla for first time in about 10 years with me and my friends.

Will do MG Hi-Nu ver. Ka soon and be done with gunpla and plamo for a while. Too much time and money but very, very fun.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Use alcohol and cotton tip to remove gundam marker, if you want to play it safe you can dilute it with water. How bad was the melting? May be you can fix it with some sanding?

Use alcohol and cotton tip to remove gundam marker, if you want to play it safe you can dilute it with water. How bad was the melting? May be you can fix it with some sanding?
It wasn't too bad. Just took a chunk off the front of the right leg. :/
Nothing too noticeable at a distance, but if you look closely, you can even see the reeeeeally light cracks on the rest of the plastic.
Eh. He still looks too damn cool to complain. >.>

I also started work on my custom Wing Gundam, which will be a fun side project. Anyone know how to remove Sharpie from Gunpla plastic? >.<

It wasn't too bad. Just took a chunk off the front of the right leg. :/
Nothing too noticeable at a distance, but if you look closely, you can even see the reeeeeally light cracks on the rest of the plastic.
Eh. He still looks too damn cool to complain. >.>

I also started work on my custom Wing Gundam, which will be a fun side project. Anyone know how to remove Sharpie from Gunpla plastic? >.<

Acetone?

unkowntome

Neo Member
As a long time lurker, might as well post my recent mg...
PjBBskE.jpg
[/IMG]

On the side note, anyone has any experience with dragon momoko tallgeese 3?

Finished the HGUC Full Armor Unicorn Destroy Mode kit last night. Not gonna line it as I just don't think it would suit Unicorn well.

The kit has one disgusting problem.

unyath.jpg

This is how you construct the elbow joint. That's the entire thing. It is even more flimsy than the entirety of RG Zeta. If you try to move Unicorn's hands any way at all you can be sure that the elbow will split and you'll have to reassemble it seven times.

Ken

Finished the HGUC Full Armor Unicorn Destroy Mode kit last night. Not gonna line it as I just don't think it would suit Unicorn well.

The kit has one disgusting problem.

unyath.jpg

This is how you construct the elbow joint. That's the entire thing. It is even more flimsy than the entirety of RG Zeta. If you try to move Unicorn's hands any way at all you can be sure that the elbow will split and you'll have to reassemble it seven times.

That's how the HGUC Unicorn [UM] is too. Pretty lame.

yami4ct

Look who's finally (mostly) repaired!

Guy at an electronic repair shop soldered it up real quick. Only cost me $5. All's well that ends well.

Arm can't hold any other weapons and I can't install the white panel that covers the side of the shoulder until I get the replacement joint pieces from HLJ. Arm will just fall out of socket. Those pieces are coming, eventually, so it shouldn't be too bad to wait.

This kit guys. This kit. I have so much I can, and eventually will, write about it. So much about it is interesting and fun. So much of the build on the other side is super technically challenging and frustrating. Can't deny the final product, though. Can't even describe how cool it looks in person.

Ken

Is there a brightness control setting (to dim) for the LEDs? I really don't like the way it looks in your picture.

yami4ct

Is there a brightness control setting (to dim) for the LEDs? I really don't like the way it looks in your picture.

No, not really. There are two settings. Automatic (hold down the button as you flip the switch) turns on the eyes, turns on the body and then turns off the body and finally the eyes in a slow cycle. Manual (Just hitting the button after hitting the switch) lets you control that cycle manually by hitting the button over and over.

I will say, the actual lighting effect does not look anything like the photo with my crappy phone camera. It doesn't glare near as much. The vast majority of the psycoframe glows a really light pink and the parts really close to the LEDs have a bit of a purple look. It's not a perfect glowing effect, but it looks really good. Very few pictures capture the effect because the LED reactive resin on the psychoframe doesn't seem to photograph well at all. When the LEDs are on, the actual plastic really feels like it's glowing.

Looking at more photos of the LEDs online, I really cannot find a single one that shows it off properly. It seems like it actually might be impossible to photograph.

- J - D -

I've been watching Build Fighters with my niece and nephew. I'm relatively new to Gundam (though I do remember watching Gundam Wing waaaay back when), but Build Fighters is fun so far of the 10 episodes I've seen of it.

Question though, how does the battle system in the show determine the power levels of each respective user's completed model kits? I know I shouldn't be looking into logic with this sort of show, but I can't help but wonder.

Question though, how does the battle system in the show determine the power levels of each respective user's completed model kits? I know I shouldn't be looking into logic with this sort of show, but I can't help but wonder.

It doesn't.

Pretty much goes with the everyone is equal to fight, and strength of your model is based on the creators skill. Same with fighting ability. Basically you don't have any real idea how strong the opponent is until you fight since everything is custom made by the creators. So a Master Grade model is not any stronger than a High Grade one in the show, but in real life the out of the box quality/price is different.

- J - D -

It doesn't.

Pretty much goes with the everyone is equal to fight, and strength of your model is based on the creators skill. Same with fighting ability. Basically you don't have any real idea how strong the opponent is until you fight since everything is custom made by the creators. So a Master Grade model is not any stronger than a High Grade one in the show, but in real life the out of the box quality/price is different.

Hmm, the characters do remark on an opponent or fellow builder's model as being "really strong" though, and not in the way that that specific builder's fighting ability is strong. Also, are the particular special attacks of a Gundam model pre-loaded into the specific weapon part? Or is it applied by the builder? Because if the former were true, then no expert builder should be surprised when a fighter whips out some special ability (this happens a lot in the show) like it was a secret unless it was from PPSE.

Hmm, the characters do remark on an opponent or fellow builder's model as being "really strong" though, and not in the way that that specific builder's fighting ability is strong. Also, are the particular special attacks of a Gundam model pre-loaded into the specific weapon part? Or is it applied by the builder? Because if the former were true, then no expert builder should be surprised when a fighter whips out some special ability (this happens a lot in the show) like it was a secret unless it was from PPSE.

I always take the "they are strong" thing as a "I can feel this person's strength" aura type thing instead of in relation to the model being used. If it were based on what they were using the top fighters would be Unicorn, Turn-A, and 00 users or something.

And yeah the attacks are mostly "pre-loaded." Like someone using Wing Zero's buster cannon, has access to that attack. BUT weapons like the models themselves can be customized and there are very little straight built weapons in the series. Most of the weapons and attacks are customized as well blended with other attacks and what not made by the creator and left at that explanation. You will see tons of attacks that are definitely from that specific gundam, but also way different that the original.

They get into adding stuff to the models to make them stronger to do damage or take a hit and what not, but its just mentioned in passing not detail. Its one of those "accept it as a part of this worlds narrative" type things and just enjoy it as a fact without much details.

- J - D -

I always take the "they are strong" thing as a "I can feel this person's strength" aura type thing instead of in relation to the model being used. If it were based on what they were using the top fighters would be Unicorn, Turn-A, and 00 users or something.

And yeah the attacks are mostly "pre-loaded." Like someone using Wing Zero's buster cannon, has access to that attack. BUT weapons like the models themselves can be customized and there are very little straight built weapons in the series. Most of the weapons and attacks are customized as well blended with other attacks and what not made by the creator and left at that explanation. You will see tons of attacks that are definitely from that specific gundam, but also way different that the original.

They get into adding stuff to the models to make them stronger to do damage or take a hit and what not, but its just mentioned in passing not detail. Its one of those "accept it as a part of this worlds narrative" type things and just enjoy it as a fact without much details.

Yeah I assumed that's how the abilities worked. the vagueness of certain model abilities in the show doesn't bother me. It's more of a curiosity. If anything it's the kind of thing that I imagine is addressed indirectly simply by there being a video game product based on the series. This usually is the case with stuff like Pokemon and the like.

Anyway, I've already bought a few Build Fighters model kits as holiday gifts for my nephew/niece. My nephew, who has already built a few master grades in the short time he's been a gunpla addict, laments at how small the the high grades are haha. They need to release more Build Fighters master grades because I think he's built them all.

The first gunpla kit I've built recently after about a decade of not having done so was the real grade Mark II. I think I'm due for a master grade soon.

The way I interpret Build Fighters is that all the Gundams moves and its power is programmed into the GP base. Like they present the Gunpla for inspectuin to a judge then the judge programs the GP base with the quality of the build. This is all just my speculation but it makes semse to me.

Ken

The way I interpret Build Fighters is that all the Gundams moves and its power is programmed into the GP base. Like they present the Gunpla for inspectuin to a judge then the judge programs the GP base with the quality of the build. This is all just my speculation but it makes semse to me.

Na, in the show they've had multiple instances of building a gunpla and getting it straight into a fight (SD battle in Try Fighters and Reiji's Beginning Gundam).

Well, with the holidays almost over, I might as well post what I've done so far.
The only kit fully built in this shot is the RG Z'Gok, which was a Secret Santa gift from a fellow Gaf member! My favorite kit so far, this mutated rollie-pollie is an excellent build with tons of detail and fun posing possibilities. My only issues are with the tabs on the arm, which hinder the movement a bit, but nothing too annoying. Definitely a great kit to own.

The HG Lightning Gundam is an average kit to me, as it looks great, feels really solid, and can do some excellent poses, but it's a really dull build. I was so dang bored building this thing, but had a blast posing it doing cool shit with the sniper rifle. I'm assuming that the new backpack might add more to him, but right now I only would recommend it to beginners. I need to panel-line him, but there's not much to do. Maybe this weekend.

The Nu-Gundoom is still there but with MORE PANEL LINES and paint on his eyes/skirt. A really fun and complex build that stays together well and looks really nice. The shoulders and the arms are the only glaring issues with this specific kit when building and posing, while the fragile funnels are a problem with the suit's design as a whole. Still, it's been a really fun kit so far and recommend it to anyone looking for a third-party kit. Lots of detail painting, tho.
Also, this kit does NOT like the Gundam Marker remover. So much for the "hidden" psychoframe I was working on...

I still got the Gouf R35, a Gundam Ez-SR, the Rozen Zulu, and the RG Mk.II to build, so I'll be building like crazy during my free time this semester. lol
also im not saying go buy bootleg kits but third party kits like the slim ZZ and such are rad so i dont know where we stand on those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom