• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

So this guy is now up for preorder on amiami :

k29Gr1c.jpg

Hopefully this means we'll get a Virsago soon.

Just finished building the SD Nu Gundam with my SO. These things have a TON of detail. I'm considering getting one to try some painting stuff that I used to do with model cars.
My only issue with it is that it's really fragile. I mean, I wouldn't do to much with it, but it falls apart very easily...

Acid08

Banned
Finally up for order on HLJ as well. So pumped for this. My favorite main gundam design of all time is finally getting a MG. Really thought that was never going to happen. If it's as good as the MG X, should be a great build.

Should be largely the same yeah? Same frame at least.

Alright Gunpla GAF, I've just come back from Japan with some model kits and while I've owned a few other kits, I've never bothered to paint them. But now I want to and would love to know what I need to get started.

For reference, I got the HGUC 1/144 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn - Destroy Mode. Picked up an LBX kit too but I'm assuming I can use the same paints on those as I do on my Gundam too?

universal-century-unicorn-gundam-2-banshee-norn-destroy-mode-hg-hguc-model-kit-1-144-scale-5.jpeg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Accidentally posted this in the Build Fighters thread but,

Anyone order the Unicorn LED lights from GGInfinite?

They posted a few days ago on Gundamguy that they didn't get enough shipment from Bandai and will be emailing people who won't be able to get theirs until march/april. Anyone heard anything from them?

Jomjom

Banned
Alright Gunpla GAF, I've just come back from Japan with some model kits and while I've owned a few other kits, I've never bothered to paint them. But now I want to and would love to know what I need to get started.

For reference, I got the HGUC 1/144 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn - Destroy Mode. Picked up an LBX kit too but I'm assuming I can use the same paints on those as I do on my Gundam too?

What level of detail are you looking for?

If you are looking to go all out then some basic tools would be: airbrush, compressor, some enamel/water based paints (go water because enamel is a nightmare to clean from airbrushes), some nippers and hobby knives, putty to fill in gaps, either spray or bottle primer, and a brush for panel lines, masking tape, liquid glue (the kind that melts and melds the plastic together). Not counting paint, you're looking at about $200-300 for all of these things. Don't get an airbrush compressor, get a hardware one that's 5 gallons or so because it's much quieter and you get a much more consistent stream of air.

If you are looking to handpaint or use spraycans, then just brushes and masking tape. Which of the other tools you get depend on how nice you want to make your kit.

yami4ct

Anyone have issue with loose parts on FA Unicorn ver Ka?

What specific parts are you talking about? Mine was pretty good, all things considered. The bazookas don't sit as securely in the backpack slots as I'd like and the arms have a hard time holding under so much weaponry, but all those were issues I suspected ahead of time.

What level of detail are you looking for?

If you are looking to go all out then some basic tools would be: airbrush, compressor, some enamel/water based paints (go water because enamel is a nightmare to clean from airbrushes), some nippers and hobby knives, putty to fill in gaps, either spray or bottle primer, and a brush for panel lines, masking tape, liquid glue (the kind that melts and melds the plastic together). Not counting paint, you're looking at about $200-300 for all of these things. Don't get an airbrush compressor, get a hardware one that's 5 gallons or so because it's much quieter and you get a much more consistent stream of air.

If you are looking to handpaint or use spraycans, then just brushes and masking tape. Which of the other tools you get depend on how nice you want to make your kit.

Thanks Jomjom, I guess I'm looking to have it look at least half decent though I'm not sure if I'm going to go all out since this will be my first attempt. I'm looking to hand paint it so would just using spray cans and brushes on the runners and the markers be enough to make my model look quite good?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Thanks Jomjom, I guess I'm looking to have it look at least half decent though I'm not sure if I'm going to go all out since this will be my first attempt. I'm looking to hand paint it so would just using spray cans and brushes on the runners and the markers be enough to make my model look quite good?

I am not sure about the markers, but cans are really good. Brushes will look as good as airbrush if you have the patient, don't bother with marker, just hand brush those.

If you ended up enjoying it after one or two model you should consider getting an airbrush. It will cost you less on the long run, and 20 times faster than hand brushing.

Also get a mask when you use cans, lung and nerve damage is no joke.

I am not sure about the markers, but cans are really good. Brushes will look as good as airbrush if you have the patient, don't bother with marker, just hand brush those.

If you ended up enjoying it after one or two model you should consider getting an airbrush. It will cost you less on the long run, and 20 times faster than hand brushing.

Also get a mask when you use cans, lung and nerve damage is no joke.

All sounds good, thanks! :) So to re-iterate, to start off with I should stick with:

Brush Paints (Tamiya?)
Spray Cans (Tamiya?)
Mask
Matt Top Coat?
Hobby Knives

Also, what colour would I use to ink the grooves on a black Gundam like Unicorn?

Sorry for all the questions. Looking to hit up a model shop today and get some materials you see

Acid08

Banned
I think you want some paint thinner too, not so sure about that though. This whole convo has been super helpful actually, I'm looking to paint parts of one of my kits too.

Enron

Banned
All sounds good, thanks! :) So to re-iterate, to start off with I should stick with:

Brush Paints (Tamiya?)
Spray Cans (Tamiya?)
Mask
Matt Top Coat?
Hobby Knives

Also, what colour would I use to ink the grooves on a black Gundam like Unicorn?

Sorry for all the questions. Looking to hit up a model shop today and get some materials you see

Make sure you grab some spray primer as well. Prime the pieces first before painting.

spray painting on runners is how I started off too. it will look fine, but you will have to touch up the scars when you snip the pieces off (make sure you snip as close to the piece as possible to eliminate nubs since you won't be sanding). I used to have bottles of the same color as the spray, and then touch the scars up with a brush. You will still see the scar after you've painted over it though.

I moved on to snipping the pieces first, then sanding, and then putting them on sticks with alligator clips and spray painting like that. It's more work, but the pieces come out looking better.

I would not advise using markers to paint with. most marker jobs end up looking horrible.

For panel lining a dark mobile suit, you'll want to use a lighter color. Like a grey.

Divvy

Man, HLJ is completely out of stock of any non-new HG kits. I guess X-mas season cleaned them out.

Man, HLJ is completely out of stock of any non-new HG kits. I guess X-mas season cleaned them out.
I'm assuming that's the reason Amazon's prices are batshit insane for some old kits too?
Ugh, this sucks.

A little unrelated: Have you guys seen the LBX kits or whatever? Anyone have any experience with them? I saw a pink ninja that looked really cool, and since they're made by Bandai, I'm wondering if they're worth it.

Divvy

I'm assuming that's the reason Amazon's prices are batshit insane for some old kits too?
Ugh, this sucks.

A little unrelated: Have you guys seen the LBX kits or whatever? Anyone have any experience with them? I saw a pink ninja that looked really cool, and since they're made by Bandai, I'm wondering if they're worth it.

Not sure, but they literally have no MG or RGs in stock at all. I was waiting for them to get the RG Freedom in from backorder so I can get my prviate warehouse stuff shipped, but it was taking forever so I wanted to see if they had anything else I wanted that I could swap instead, but yeah, they have almost nothing.

Not sure, but they literally have no MG or RGs in stock at all. I was waiting for them to get the RG Freedom in from backorder so I can get my prviate warehouse stuff shipped, but it was taking forever so I wanted to see if they had anything else I wanted that I could swap instead, but yeah, they have almost nothing.
Ugh, suck. :/ Hopefully you get something, at least.
I'm fighting to get a Full Armor Unicorn HG, but apparently they're worth $40+ for some reason, while my local hobby store only sells the red one. :/

Acid08

Banned
I'm waiting on January restock for my order from them. Hope it happens soon.

Acid08

Banned
My G Gundam army grows.

Took a look in the Nobell box, super awesome that it comes with a little stand. Whenever HLJ gets their January restock I should have all of the G Gundam Master Grade kits.

Jomjom

Banned

I would recommend this. Since it's the banshee, see if you can try to find that bluish-gray/black color in a spray can (or if you are going to do a custom color then whatever you like). Reasoning for this is because there's just no way you'll get as smooth a coat with hand painting as you can with a spray, so it'll look much better if you can paint the color that takes up the most surface area with a spray.

Then go in and handpaint the other colors like the details and whatnot. Try to avoid handpainting really large areas as it's really really difficult to make it look smooth. A paint leveler solution can somewhat alleviate this, but those are quite expensive (basically makes your paint dry slower so it self-levels before drying). What really makes the kit look nice though are the panel lines - to me that's what makes a kit look like more than just some plastic toy. For panel lines, take a look at this page for a good tutorial of a "panel wash".

Panel Wash Tutorial

Also check out this guy's page for a lot of other tips. He's one of the well known gunpla builders here in California. I think he's awesome and I've learned pretty much everything I know attending the builds he holds at his home.

Acid08

Banned
How much do those figures cost. I can't build gunpla for shit but I would like to have something from the franchise.

That one usually goes for $60-80. There's also an Alleby figure that's usually like $70-$90. Want both to go with all my G gunpla. There's also a Sochie($50-$60) fig I want to put with my Turn A/X/Sumo. And a Haman(~$100) I want to put with my ZZ/Quebley.

Need to track down some of the old Dragon, Maxter, Bolt, Rose, and Devil gunpla for the rest of the G stuff too.

yami4ct

Think the great exchange rate is really helping this as well. Most years, only a few of the most popular kits get sold out over Christmas, and not for this long. I've been preordering a few of the kits I want and they've come in fairly quickly. Seems like they're selling them out as quickly as they can restock them, too.

That one usually goes for $60-80. There's also an Alleby figure that's usually like $70-$90. Want both to go with all my G gunpla. There's also a Sochie($50-$60) fig I want to put with my Turn A/X/Sumo. And a Haman(~$100) I want to put with my ZZ/Quebley.

Need to track down some of the old Dragon, Maxter, Bolt, Rose, and Devil gunpla for the rest of the G stuff too.
I would love a Haman figure...does Katejina have one?

Acid08

Banned
Think the great exchange rate is really helping this as well. Most years, only a few of the most popular kits get sold out over Christmas, and not for this long. I've been preordering a few of the kits I want and they've come in fairly quickly. Seems like they're selling them out as quickly as they can restock them, too.

I emailed them about the January restock and they said Bandai tends to start sending stuff in the latter half of the month. So stuff should be getting restocked pretty soon.

I would love a Haman figure...does Katejina have one?

Yup, from the same line as the others.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Brush Paints (Tamiya?)
Spray Cans (Tamiya?)
Mask
Matt Top Coat?
Hobby Knives

Brush paint use vallejo, you can thin it with distilled water, or with their own thinner (I remember there's a website that sell those for cheap, I can't remember where). Tamiya isn't as good for hand brushing. Top coat just use Krylon, it is bigger and cheaper, and does the same thing.

You can panel line black parts with black, it won't be very visible, but it gives some depths and shades to the panel. If you prefer more visible line use gray.

You do not need primer if you are painting with Tamiya cans. If you going to hand brush color on top of naked plastic, you will require primer. You may want to consider getting primer, grey will be the best color for primer(not too dark or light). Obviously you don't need primer when you hand brush color on top of spray can color.

A very good guide I used: http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide

Friendly reminder, use mask, tamiya spray can is lacquer.

These chemicals penetrate the lungs during inhalation and accumulate on the fibrous walls of these vital organs, causing irritation and swelling. Symptoms of chemical inhalation include coughing, sore throat, wheezing and difficulty breathing. When you inhale large quantities of isocyanates, contained in some paints, your health may be adversely affected.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/hazards-lacquer-paint-99603.html This is for hand painting, using it as spray made it 100 times easier to inhale.

Really appreciate all the advice guys. Thanks a lot :D Will start gathering the stuff over the weekend and keep you posted on how it all goes.

One last question; what sort of white do you recommend using on Gundam models that use a lot of white. I'm guessing you want an off kind of white like an ivory type of colour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom