• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot Lyle Dylandy.
Whom looks, sounds and practically acts like Neil. It's like the character designer got lazy and was just like "fuck it, twin" and went back to sleep, and yeah I know he was revealed earlier in the first season, oh fuck now I'm remembering that half baked ass relationship he had with Anew...fuck that season. Only good character was probably Kati Mannequin, but I wouldn't bet much on that one.

RangerBAD

Whom looks, sounds and practically acts like Neil. It's like the character designer got lazy and was just like "fuck it, twin" and went back to sleep, and yeah I know he was revealed earlier in the first season, oh fuck now I'm remembering that half baked ass relationship he had with Anew...fuck that season. Only good character was probably Kati Mannequin, but I wouldn't bet much on that one.

Who married Patrick Colasoural Loser.

Beth Cyra

Finally finished Hi Nu's body today. Damn this thing is hideous compared to Nu and the OG Hi v/ver ka.

Still just accessories left and then I can move on to RG Zero so I can make sure it is completed before Zero Honoo arrives.

Who married Patrick Colasoural Loser.
Yeah I know. It's like they knew exactly how to character assassinate their interesting characters. Andre Smirnoff...asshole son, Allelujah with his split personalities, took some of the cool out of Soma Pieres, Setsuna was like a Heero clone with less social skills..."Saji Crossaroada" "I...Am...Gunundam." Dude couldn't even get it up for Marina...he's like one of the only Gundam protags to not get the woman. Even Sosuke Sagara got the woman.

Jaeger

OMG.
Wlh3avs.jpg

mJ9O77x.jpg

O2cNI49.jpg

vlx6Evt.jpg

qSyADzL.jpg

R7b41GQ.jpg
Source

yami4ct

Just started to read Glory of the Losers. I'm liking the changes they made from the beginning of Wing. Really helps make the plot make more sense and gives it just better pace. Man, though, I forgot just how bad the Wing cast is. I really like Wing's world and a good chunk of the overall plot, but the cast kind of ruins it. Every character is pretty much the worst. They are actually even worse than I had remembered them being.

No fixing that, though, so disregarding that issue, Glory of the Losers seems like a fantastic adaptation. Great use of the Katoki redesigns and shows a willingness to change the plot when it's needed. Looking forward to reading it some more.

Beth Cyra

Just started to read Glory of the Losers. I'm liking the changes they made from the beginning of Wing. Really helps make the plot make more sense and gives it just better pace. Man, though, I forgot just how bad the Wing cast is. I really like Wing's world and a good chunk of the overall plot, but the cast kind of ruins it. Every character is pretty much the worst. They are actually even worse than I had remembered them being.

No fixing that, though, so disregarding that issue, Glory of the Losers seems like a fantastic adaptation. Great use of the Katoki redesigns and shows a willingness to change the plot when it's needed. Looking forward to reading it some more.

I like the cast because they are so different from the general Gundam leads, granted that doesn't extend to Qautra or Wufei, I tend to hate them.

Still Heero was nice as he is a child soldier that actually has a reason to be a ACE pilot unlike the rest of the natraully borned ace Pilots in Gundam TV shows (G aside) and Duo was fun.

That said Glory gets better as it goes on, they change alot of Wing and continue to sacrafice junk that wasn't needed or didn't make sense. Cut out 95% of the time Relena is on screen and give the Gundam's some really amazing upgrades.

Treize gets more screen time and given he is the only good Wing character I am personally happy about that.

Beth Cyra

Only reason anyone likes the Wing cast is that they're so Bishie.

Im fairly sure that isn't true.

Granted they do have a LARGE amount of fans because of it, but Wing was popular with both young men and women in NA and a large amount of the boys like Heero and Duo and I don't think it was simply because of the art style.

NEO0MJ

Im fairly sure that isn't true.

Granted they do have a LARGE amount of fans because of it, but Wing was popular with both young men and women in NA and a large amount of the boys like Heero and Duo and I don't think it was simply because of the art style.

I think its popularity had more to do with the anime boom and being most people's first Gundam (and robot) show.

Acid08

Banned
I think its popularity had more to do with the anime boom and being most people's first Gundam (and robot) show.

Well yeah, and what's wrong with that?

I re-watched Wing last year for the first time since it first aired and it help up really well. I wasn't expecting much from it too tbh. Most of the characters are engaging and the overarching story is actually pretty awesome. Zechs definitely holds his own with the best of the Char-types.

yami4ct

Well yeah, and what's wrong with that?

I re-watched Wing last year for the first time since it first aired and it help up really well. I wasn't expecting much from it too tbh. Most of the characters are engaging and the overarching story is actually pretty awesome. Zechs definitely holds his own with the best of the Char-types.

Had pretty much the exact opposite experience a couple years back. Found out most of what I did like was just nostalgia and I pretty much hated the show as a whole. Also, have to disagree about Zechs. He's one of the worst in my book. He's so try-hard cool and copying Char so hard it's boring.

But, different tastes and all that. Some will go back and probably like it. I think many will go back and really not like what they see.

Acid08

Banned
Had pretty much the exact opposite experience a couple years back. Found out most of what I did like was just nostalgia and I pretty much hated the show as a whole. Also, have to disagree about Zechs. He's one of the worst in my book. He's so try-hard cool and copying Char so hard it's boring.

But, different tastes and all that. Some will go back and probably like it. I think many will go back and really not like what they see.

I re-watched it before I had even seen any of the original stuff so I had no reference point for him being too much like Char. The similarities are pretty egregious though, you're not wrong there.

The actual eye opening re-watch was Endless Waltz though. As a kid I thought that was the coolest shit ever but upon re-watching it I thought it was kind of a mediocre mess. Incredible suit designs but everything else was pretty blah.

It's hard for me to hate Wing, it's my gateway Gundam. I'm not putting it over the original, Zeta or Victory, but I still usually enjoy watching it. The characters usually don't piss me off like they do in Seed Destiny and I'm not calling for half the cast to die in the explosion. Trieze was a G though, giving orders while taking rose petal bubble baths.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Since this thread could essentially be about model kits released by Bandai in general...

...what am I in when I get an MG?

Since this thread could essentially be about model kits released by Bandai in general...

...what am I in when I get an MG?

You're in for a detailed and fulfilling experience. :p
MGs aren't hard, per sé, but they are time consuming and often have smaller parts, some of which can be broken if you're not careful.
But they have lots of little details and fun moving bits and their size makes it all worth it.

If that's what you were asking...

Boss Doggie

You're in for a detailed and fulfilling experience. :p
MGs aren't hard, per sé, but they are time consuming and often have smaller parts, some of which can be broken if you're not careful.
But they have lots of little details and fun moving bits and their size makes it all worth it.

If that's what you were asking...

So essentially if I can do HGs fine, I can handle MG? I'm a "snap" so much so that I am afraid of panel-lining. The MGs I am after aren't robots but Kamen Riders so I guess I'm safe with that. Apparently MGs have skeletons?

So essentially if I can do HGs fine, I can handle MG? I'm a "snap" so much so that I am afraid of panel-lining. The MGs I am after aren't robots but Kamen Riders so I guess I'm safe with that. Apparently MGs have skeletons?

Oh yeah, if you're no stranger to HG you'll be fine with MG. They just take 2-3x as much time to complete.
I'm not familiar with Bandai's Kamen Rider line, but many Gundam MGs do have a sort of inner skeleton since their armor can come off to reveal the gray body and machinery underneath.

MG Skeleton

RG Skeleton

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, if you're no stranger to HG you'll be fine with MG. They just take 2-3x as much time to complete.
I'm not familiar with Bandai's Kamen Rider line, but many Gundam MGs do have a sort of inner skeleton since their armor can come off to reveal the gray body and machinery underneath.

MG Skeleton
RG Skeleton

The Figurerise Kamen Rider lines are MG rated by Bandai. And I didn't know MG and RG have different skeletons. RG is the in-between of HG and MG right?

mg-figurerise-kamen-rider-accel-package-1.jpg

Seems like model kits with skeleton are able to transform and pose more freely?

Beth Cyra

The Figurerise Kamen Rider lines are MG rated by Bandai. And I didn't know MG and RG have different skeletons. RG is the in-between of HG and MG right?

mg-figurerise-kamen-rider-accel-package-1.jpg

Seems like model kits with skeleton are able to transform and pose more freely?

RG is meant to be MG Quality in the scale of a HG. Actually for alot of people RG's might be harder to build because of the small pieces and the difficulty some of them present.

The Transform gimick usually comes at a cost even on MG's, and that is often that the posing and body movement is limited to accomedate the transformation.

That said, generally yeah, the Inner frame does make it better for posing as it tends to make the kit more stable and sturdy......just don't try to stand Exia or Zeta 2.0.

Boss Doggie

RG is meant to be MG Quality in the scale of a HG. Actually for alot of people RG's might be harder to build because of the small pieces and the difficulty some of them present.

The Transform gimick usually comes at a cause even on MG's, and that is often that the posing and body movement is limited to accomedate the transformation.

That said, generally yeah, the Inner frame does make it better for posing as it tends to make the kit more stable and sturdy......just don't try to stand Exia or Zeta 2.0.

Ahh interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Keasar

Considering now getting my first MG Gundam, but can't decide which one.

The candidates currently are Sinanju, Sinanju Stein (saw it while browsing for the Sinanju and thought it looked awesome) and the Gouf Custom (again, have built a HG version but I really love this machine).

Don't know when I'll be ordering it but wanna try and decide which to get first.

NEO0MJ

Considering now getting my first MG Gundam, but can't decide which one.

The candidates currently are Sinanju, Sinanju Stein (saw it while browsing for the Sinanju and thought it looked awesome) and the Gouf Custom (again, have built a HG version but I really love this machine).

Don't know when I'll be ordering it but wanna try and decide which to get first.

Go for the Sinanju or the Sinanju Stein. They're already considered some of the finest kits and are much more modern than the Gouf, which might show signs of its age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom