• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the picture.

Though I do find the choices a bit strange for a English website. Zero is still the most well known and recognized in NA and they could at least have gone with the three newest of Self/Unicorn/ Build or at the very least Age.
Nobody wants to see anything Age related.

Beth Cyra

Nobody wants to see anything Age related.
Eh don't speak for everyone.

I'm one of the largest haters of Age on this board but it is still a Gundam and I'm growing really tired of Freedom and Exia 'll over everything. Neither of these suits are the big name draws in America and nor are they the most recent.

Celebrating what's new with Gundam is a good thing then rehashing these oldies, and even I prefer them (Freedom) to everything in Age doesn't mean I feel it's good to allow it to walk all over everything.

Eh don't speak for everyone.

I'm one of the largest haters of Age on this board but it is still a Gundam and I'm growing really tired of Freedom and Exia 'll over everything. Neither of these suits are the big name draws in America and nor are they the most recent.

Celebrating what's new with Gundam is a good thing then rehashing these oldies, and even I prefer them (Freedom) to everything in Age doesn't mean I feel it's good to allow it to walk all over everything.
I get what you mean. Unicorn should've been front and center cause it's one of the better shows. I'm honestly just partial to Zeta and some of those suits, but anything over the tired Freedom. Heck with how popular Wing was in the states I'm surprised that didn't take center stage.

I like the picture.

Though I do find the choices a bit strange for a English website. Zero is still the most well known and recognized in NA and they could at least have gone with the three newest of Self/Unicorn/ Build or at the very least Age.

Remember that the English site is also targeting parts of SE Asia where English is commonly spoken.

Beth Cyra

I get what you mean. Unicorn should've been front and center cause it's one of the better shows. I'm honestly just partial to Zeta and some of those suits, but anything over the tired Freedom. Heck with how popular Wing was in the states I'm surprised that didn't take center stage.
Wing almost never takes center stage in NA when it comes to Bandai, not that I mind I prefer new stuff.

However Bandai does like to act like Wing isn't as big as it is and generally will promote stuff over it in NA and this has continued for the last decade. Just wish they would retire Freedom and Exia from the spot light now.

Wing almost never takes center stage in NA when it comes to Bandai, not that I mind I prefer new stuff.

However Bandai does like to act like Wing isn't as big as it is and generally will promote stuff over it in NA and this has continued for the last decade. Just wish they would retire Freedom and Exia from the spot light now.
At least it's not blinged out Strike Freedom. I'm fine with Justice and Infinite Justice, but anything tied to Jesus Yamato I just can't deal with any more.

duckroll

With the outrageous price they sold that thing for I almost can't even count it. I'm hoping they release that again at an affordable price. I was not paying what $300 for the whole thing?

You're not counting Unicorn because you think it was overpriced, but you seem to think Origin will be any different? Lol.

Mussah92

Yeah it got cleaned up a lot for the Blu Ray. It's still not as clean looking at the Char's Counter Attack Blu Ray.

have you got them? :O

--

i just got the first two volumes of the MSG origins manga ... is it basically just 0079 in book form? or is there added stuff? don't mind either way...

have you got them? :

i just got the first two volumes of the MSG origins manga ... is it basically just 0079 in book form? or is there added stuff? don't mind either way...

It is pretty different. Some significant departures even in vol 1. Vol 5 through 7 is entirely new material.

So I finally got around to putting the rest of the decals on Nu Gundam. about 120 water slides. Took me a lot of hours、and to be quite honest I'm not sure if they really were worth the effort, besides the big 'canon' decals. But, no use in doing anything halfway.
1OP3mbF.jpg

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Really? I always consider that decal completely change a model. It made the whole thing a lot of realistic, you would expect a huge machine had thousands of logo and warning signs.

Shouta

Where do folks get their gundam materials? I was thinking of doing some HGs to refresh myself then maybe start working on my own from scratch.

Where do folks get their gundam materials? I was thinking of doing some HGs to refresh myself then maybe start working on my own from scratch.

I used to use specialty stores like AmiAmi and Hobbylink and hit up Bluefin when they're in town for Otakon, but lately I've just been buying them off Amazon. Prices aren't bad and if they're Prime eligible, I have them in a few days.

So I finally got around to putting the rest of the decals on Nu Gundam. about 120 water slides. Took me a lot of hours、and to be quite honest I'm not sure if they really were worth the effort, besides the big 'canon' decals. But, no use in doing anything halfway.
1OP3mbF.jpg

Did you top coat afterwards and are you planning on panel lining? No offense, I can't tell from the photo (about the top coat) because of the quality.

Did you top coat afterwards and are you planning on panel lining? No offense, I can't tell from the photo (about the top coat) because of the quality.

Yeah, it's panel lined and top-coated. It's hard to see because I accidentally used an unsharp-mask filter which blurs/softens everything, and the camera on my phone is already a dinosaur. If you are a big fan of panel-lining, this kit might disappoint. Very minimal on lines. The legs and the shield are where you get the most opportunities.

I personally go for a more subtle effect than a comic-book effect, unless it's an austere HG unit like those you find in HG00 line. I use a cotton bud to give it a shaded, minimalist effect so they don't look too distracting. I'm becoming more and more a proponent of using pencil as opposed to grey ink, although you gotta topcoat it pretty soon after if you want to do that.

Look at the legs at the bottom. See those lines? Well, before I lined em, you couldn't. That's the effect I want. But to each their own, of course. Some people love dark, bold lines. I kinda back away from that on kits of this quality.

Here is an upclose pic Still potato-quality, but should give you an idea.
zf9ODN5.png

On a side note, I actually wonder if a glossy coat would have worked better for this kit, but I don't mind the flat coat at all. It matches my SD nu.

Ahh so very thin panel lining, I don't see that too often. It's either thicker or crazy that I've seen as of late. I think the decals help it, but that's just personal preference. I'd probably not put them all on just so it doesn't clutter things.

I will probably never pick up a Nu, just not a fan of the design. Generally I lean towards Gundams as opposed to "enemy" suits, but in this case I much prefer the Sazabi.

Acid08

Banned

Finished up the HG Nobell. Fun kit, didn't take very long lol. It's very small. Cool that it comes with a base and a little weight for the ribbon. Also just painted the gem metallic green since I didn't want to mess with that stupid sticker.

Next up is the MG Spiegel. My G Gundam army grows.

PhiLonius

Finished up the HG Nobell. Fun kit, didn't take very long lol. It's very small. Cool that it comes with a base and a little weight for the ribbon. Also just painted the gem metallic green since I didn't want to mess with that stupid sticker.

Next up is the MG Spiegel. My G Gundam army grows.

Nice. G Gundam kits always seem to pose well.

I can't tell for sure but is the left arm holding up the ribbon or does it just sort of fall like that on its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom