• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Nice. G Gundam kits always seem to pose well.

I can't tell for sure but is the left arm holding up the ribbon or does it just sort of fall like that on its own?

The ribbon falls like that on its own but you have to position the arm in whatever pose you want to get the right angles on where it falls and stuff. They give you three different sizes of ribbon, that's the medium sized one. They come curled up on this little sheet of plastic and when you peel them off they become all spring like.

Zerojul

Finished up the HG Nobell. Fun kit, didn't take very long lol. It's very small. Cool that it comes with a base and a little weight for the ribbon. Also just painted the gem metallic green since I didn't want to mess with that stupid sticker.
Nice. I'd buy a MG Nobell so hard :/

Next up is the MG Spiegel. My G Gundam army grows.

That was my personal favorite of the 4 MGs, enjoy ;)

Acid08

Banned
Nice. I'd buy a MG Nobell so hard :/

That was my personal favorite of the 4 MGs, enjoy ;)

I wish we could get MG kits for the Nobell, Shuffle Alliance, and Devil Gundam. Won't ever happen though :( even new HG kits for the Shuffle Alliance aren't likely. Will probably have to buy some of the old 90s kits of them.

And nice to hear, I'm liking the look of it so far. I have the MG Shining and Master ordered on HLJ so eventually I'll have all four.

Started putting together my Sengoku Astray on a whim tonight. Lots of nasty stickers, but unfortunately I don't have any paint to make the sword look good :(

Finished up the HG Nobell. Fun kit, didn't take very long lol. It's very small. Cool that it comes with a base and a little weight for the ribbon. Also just painted the gem metallic green since I didn't want to mess with that stupid sticker.

Next up is the MG Spiegel. My G Gundam army grows.

I really love the rediculousness of G Gundams mobile suits. Someone on Instagram did the Sailor scouts out of Nobels and I want to do the same as well eventually.

Finished my G Gundam rewatch. As good as I remembered it, really solid the whole way through. Everything about the ending is amazing and perfect.
I need to watch this again. Too hot blooded with its manliness.
tumblr_lrngqrBbqd1qg77b4.jpg

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 2
Shinn is so good starting out, even if he makes a few amateur mistakes, Im enjoying his match against the three newcomers. And then with the Force Silhouette, way too good at that part.

Auel is really good too, voice sounds immensely familiar.

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 2

Shinn is so good started out, even if he makes a few amatuer mistakes, Im enjoying his match against the three newcomers. And then with the Force Shioluette, way too good at that part.

Auel is really good too, voice sounds immensely familiar.
Auel's dub voice is really familiar. Who was the Japanese voice?

PhiLonius

Had the HG Spallow sitting on my desk for the past couple weeks and after working on some color schemes Friday, I finally got started on it last night. It's been a while since I've put a kit together but I had fun with it.

Crappy phone pics of the finished build:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Starting to really watch ZZ, and so far I'm loving it. I really disliked the main cast from the first Zeta, so I'm pretty happy they have all been shipped off. I'm sure the zanyness is likely going to be short lived and move into a more standard gundam story, but if they can keep their personalities in tact I feel it should be much more enjoyable overall.

Starting to really watch ZZ, and so far I'm loving it. I really disliked the main cast from the first Zeta, so I'm pretty happy they have all been shipped off. I'm sure the zanyness is likely going to be short lived and move into a more standard gundam story, but if they can keep their personalities in tact I feel it should be much more enjoyable overall.
Zanyness isn't short lived. It doesn't get serious till the second OP, so about 20 episodes or something. Prepare to Moon Moon son.

Acid08

Banned

You're in for some good stuff. Enjoy!

You're in for some good stuff. Enjoy!
I'm going to have to watch this again when I finish Zeta, I've been getting sidetracked. I don't remember liking ZZ until it started getting more serious, so at around the middle period. I found the first quarter borderline torture.

Acid08

Banned
I'm going to have to watch this again when I finish Zeta, I've been getting sidetracked. I don't remember liking ZZ until it started getting more serious, so at around the middle period. I found the first quarter borderline torture.

Eh, I think it's uneven and drags too long but there's good stuff in that early part I think. Maybe it was because I was coming right off Zeta, which I'm not that big a fan of, but I liked the shift in tone away from the dreary nonstop BADBADBAD of Zeta.

Eh, I think it's uneven and drags too long but there's good stuff in that early part I think. Maybe it was because I was coming right off Zeta, which I'm not that big a fan of, but I liked the shift in tone away from the dreary nonstop BADBADBAD of Zeta.
But I liked Zeta Gundam, a lot. I oddly like that and Victory the most out of the early UC shows. Victory as fucked up as it was entertaining and I liked some of the character arcs. I liked Zeta's characters, granted both shows threw far too many women in fridges but I liked them both. I just felt like the beginning of ZZ just lacked focus and I liked it more when it got its plotting situated instead of them trying to make the Zeta Gundam look like a joke character. Unlike some I did like the Zeta cast, then again I've only seen ZZ once many years ago.

Acid08

Banned
But I liked Zeta Gundam, a lot. I oddly like that and Victory the most out of the early UC shows. Victory as fucked up as it was entertaining and I liked some of the character arcs. I liked Zeta's characters, granted both shows threw far too many women in fridges but I liked them both. I just felt like the beginning of ZZ just lacked focus and I liked it more when it got its plotting situated instead of them trying to make the Zeta Gundam look like a joke character. Unlike some I did like the Zeta cast, then again I've only seen ZZ once many years ago.

Oh, you won't get an argument from me that ZZ picks up after it gets more serious. It definitely does. But the characters in ZZ were much more my jam than the Zeta squad. Their attitudes in the face of all the serious stuff that was going on was really endearing to me. Great group of kids.

Oh, you won't get an argument from me that ZZ picks up after it gets more serious. It definitely does. But the characters in ZZ were much more my jam than the Zeta squad. Their attitudes in the face of all the serious stuff that was going on was really endearing to me. Great group of kids.
Yeah they took it on the chin well. I just couldn't deal with all that Moon Moon horse shit and I think the captain of the La Vi En Rose hitting on Bright or something, granted I might be remembering that last part completely wrong. Gundam just doesn't do slap stick humor well enough to base an entire series around it. That and early Mashymere is the most creepy delusional Haman stalker I could think of. And ZZ is the UC show that took the 80's aesthetic a bit too far. I'm quite fine with it in the other show's but ZZ was too much. It's going to be interesting to see if I can get a better appreciation of it like some people on here. I don't hate it, but I do not rank it as highly. I guess that's why it seems like a lot of the people here pretty much literally have a distinct personalized Gundam ranking.

Acid08

Banned
If you're saying that Roux Louka is anything less than the most fabulous Gundam girl ever than we're ending this conversation right now.

tumblr_n9pfe348if1s079ezo1_500.gif

If you're saying that Roux Louka is anything less than the most fabulous Gundam girl ever than we're ending this conversation right now.

tumblr_n9pfe348if1s079ezo1_500.gif
She's fine depending on what picture I see. She's at least less 80's looking than fucking Chara. Merida is one of my UC baes though and Katejina...I guess I like them with a certain amount of bite. I still don't understand the Fa hate. She might have been the only person in Zeta to not smack the shit out of Kamille. Granted I haven't seen ZZ in a long time. And now that I'm thinking about it at least Roux stayed really consistent as a character unlike fucking Reccoa, I still don't understand what the fuck her god damn problem is. Of course nobody understands you, you don't even understand yourself. "I'm doing this because it makes me feel like a woman" or some delusional shit and only Master Pimptimus can make her feel like a woman after laying his pimp hand upon her.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone know if the PG unicorn can be built first and the LED added after? Or do they need to be built together?

Divvy

You can build it first. You need to take pieces back off to add the leds.

This shows a built model being taken apart and then the LEDs put in.

Oh thanks!

My LED set isn't coming until April. Stupid undershipping Bandai.

This is a huge relief

EDIT: Actually that disassembly looks like a nightmare

Beth Cyra

I wish we could get MG kits for the Nobell, Shuffle Alliance, and Devil Gundam. Won't ever happen though :( even new HG kits for the Shuffle Alliance aren't likely. Will probably have to buy some of the old 90s kits of them.

And nice to hear, I'm liking the look of it so far. I have the MG Shining and Master ordered on HLJ so eventually I'll have all four.
Devil is very likely for RE 1/100

Honestly if the can't feel the y can justify Nightengale at MG then Devil Gundam has no right to even get close when trying to consider.

That said I do firmly believe we will see Nobell and Dragon after they do Altron EW and Virsago so the can get some practice on the arm extensions. Though I firmly believe if they base Nobell on her origin design it will be one of the worst MG's ever because of the foot/ankle design and the transforming berserker gimick

The only question is if they will keep G MG's to scale. G Gundam is weird in that they completely ignore that fact G Gundam stuff is tiny.

Auel's dub voice is really familiar. Who was the Japanese voice?

I just realized he has Ichigo's (Bleach) and Xin's (Kingdom) voice, nice.

=
Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 3

Such a great scene when they were sleeping in the little pods. I guess their this seasons take on the three from last Gundam that I missed alot. They were all so good back then. Never forget Clotho. Auel and Sting looked great waking up, such stunning character designs.

Kind of chuckled when Minerva had the Dual Beam and Triple Cannons named Tristan and Isolde there, always laughed all the names they give these weapons, Gottfried, Igelstellung, though now its making me wish to see Archangel. I miss her.

Acid08

Banned
Devil is very likely for RE 1/100

Honestly if the can't feel the y can justify Nightengale at MG then Devil Gundam has no right to even get close when trying to consider.

That said I do firmly believe we will see Nobell and Dragon after they do Altron EW and Virsago so the can get some practice on the arm extensions. Though I firmly believe if they base Nobell on her origin design it will be one of the worst MG's ever because of the foot/ankle design and the transforming berserker gimick

The only question is if they will keep G MG's to scale. G Gundam is weird in that they completely ignore that fact G Gundam stuff is tiny.

I would just settle for HG kits of the Shuffle Alliance suits at least. MG kits would be better but I'm just not sure they're popular enough to justify doing them all, or even just a couple.

Speaking of MG G kits, I finished the Spiegel last night. I actually didn't like it as much as I was hoping. The coloring looks off to me, I don't think that suit is actually as blue as they made the plastic. The whole thing has so many large, bulky pieces on it too, it looks kinda...cheap I guess. The back skirt sucks too, it pops loose when it gets barely grazed. I think the MG God looks way better.

Beth Cyra

I would just settle for HG kits of the Shuffle Alliance suits at least. MG kits would be better but I'm just not sure they're popular enough to justify doing them all, or even just a couple.

Speaking of MG G kits, I finished the Spiegel last night. I actually didn't like it as much as I was hoping. The coloring looks off to me, I don't think that suit is actually as blue as they made the plastic. The whole thing has so many large, bulky pieces on it too, it looks kinda...cheap I guess. The back skirt sucks too, it pops loose when it gets barely grazed. I think the MG God looks way better.
God has the benefit of being a lead suit which means very basic typically. The majority of leads, even more from the 90's have very simple designs and white, blues and reds make up the bodies.

Spiegel and Deathscythe Hell in particular are colored and designed in such a way that they need a lot more attention (like D Hell's bone ribs) and the MGS from that time just aren't up to snuff. I just thank goddess we avoided seeing stuff like D Hell and anything from OO back then.

Acid08

Banned
God has the benefit of being a lead suit which means very basic typically. The majority of leads, even more from the 90's have very simple designs and white, blues and reds make up the bodies.

Spiegel and Deathscythe Hell in particular are colored and designed in such a way that they need a lot more attention (like D Hell's bone ribs) and the MGS from that time just aren't up to snuff. I just thank goddess we avoided seeing stuff like D Hell and anything from OO back then.

The God isn't really a simple design though. Yeah it has the typical colors but there are tons of unique pieces and gimmicks on it. It's just a much stronger overall design than the Spiegel is, which is super basic and blocky. I don't think it translated particularly well to model form, especially with the blue they chose for the plastic. Though, to be fair, I'm sure more attention was put into the God because it's a lead suit. The Spiegel just comes across as something kind of slapped together, there's a huge disparity in build quality between the two even though they're from the same era of MG.

At the very least the Spiegel has separate pieces for all the yellow and red accents on the body, which is nice.

Beth Cyra

The God isn't really a simple design though. Yeah it has the typical colors but there are tons of unique pieces and gimmicks on it. It's just a much stronger overall design than the Spiegel is, which is super basic and blocky. I don't think it translated particularly well to model form, especially with the blue they chose for the plastic. Though, to be fair, I'm sure more attention was put into the God because it's a lead suit. The Spiegel just comes across as something kind of slapped together, there's a huge disparity in build quality between the two even though they're from the same era of MG.

At the very least the Spiegel has separate pieces for all the yellow and red accents on the body, which is nice.
I couldnt disagree more. God is a very simplistic design it's transformation is simple as can be, it's lines are nothing complex and it's weapon systems are very basic compared to Nu Gundam or Strike Freedom. Wing, God, and X are all reduced in complexity from V/V2 and ZZ.

Now you could argue it's design is brilliant in how it's simple individual pieces come together.

God Gundam is the polar opposite of Wing Zero TV, small simple designs that create a compelling whole that is better then any one piece.

Wing Zero TV is a horrific over designed mess with proportions that look as if it was designed to be twenty metters tall and was squished and shat out.

Sumizawa has said Wing Gundam Zero when designed by Okawara he asked him to make the powerful Gundam yet and it shows in the design that Sumizawa just piled shit on it to justify the bullshit armor and weapon load out.

Had the HG Spallow sitting on my desk for the past couple weeks and after working on some color schemes Friday, I finally got started on it last night. It's been a while since I've put a kit together but I had fun with it.

Crappy phone pics of the finished build:

Nice. Did you brush paint it, spray can, or air brush?

yami4ct

Read a bunch more of Glory of the Losers. Holy crap, guys, this thing is so good. Completely flipped me around on Wing. Really freshens up the pacing and the fights are incredible. Sure, the cast still sucks, but the world and fights are interesting enough to overshadow that.

Probably my favorite thing is the amount of optional equipment each Gundam gets. Allows the fights to be super dynamic. Sure, it doesn't necessarily make sense that these isolated, clandestine Gundam fighters get all sorts of huge option parts, but I can't really say I mind. Only thing I want right now is for Deathscythe to ditch the dumb Wing pack. Deathsythe and Wing really don't need to look that similar.

Definitely going to pick up the EW MGs at some point. These Katoki designs have officially become my canon. Okawara's are great, but Katoki's are so beautifully over the top in a way that really fits the story and action. Love it.

Divvy

Read a bunch more of Glory of the Losers. Holy crap, guys, this thing is so good. Completely flipped me around on Wing. Really freshens up the pacing and the fights are incredible. Sure, the cast still sucks, but the world and fights are interesting enough to overshadow that.

Probably my favorite thing is the amount of optional equipment each Gundam gets. Allows the fights to be super dynamic. Sure, it doesn't necessarily make sense that these isolated, clandestine Gundam fighters get all sorts of huge option parts, but I can't really say I mind. Only thing I want right now is for Deathscythe to ditch the dumb Wing pack. Deathsythe and Wing really don't need to look that similar.

Definitely going to pick up the EW MGs at some point. These Katoki designs have officially become my canon. Okawara's are great, but Katoki's are so beautifully over the top in a way that really fits the story and action. Love it.

It's a great series, especially due to the god tier art, and the much less Relena

yami4ct

It's a great series, especially due to the god tier art, and the much less Relena

I don't hate Relena a much as I hate Heero and Wufei, but every time she shows up she does destroy the pacing of the series, so her absence does help keep the manga more interesting.

As for the art, it's certainly at least 60% of why the series is so good. It's just stunning to look at. Really makes the fights fun to read. I can't believe someone can continue to draw those hyper complex Katoki designs. Must be a ridiculous amount of work. Only complaint I really have about the art is I think Noin's design looks off for some reason. Not sure what it is.

Shouta

The only Katoki design I like in Glory to the Losers is the Tallgeese because that one redesign is boss as fuck. Everything else, is kinda YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom