• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaviourMK2

Hey, I'm somewhat getting back into Gunpla building. Last model I built was a 1/100 Exia, but that was years ago.

I wanna get started on a model that looked nice, the Re-1/100 Gundam MK-3
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81WgT7bOEuL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with Re-1/100, can someone give me a run down on the quality? I have a friend who assumes that the models will be sub par and not very attractive.

I've built 14 Gundams and 3 SDs but I still feel like a horrible novice.

Zerojul

I wanna get started on a model that looked nice, the Re-1/100 Gundam MK-3
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81WgT7bOEuL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with Re-1/100, can someone give me a run down on the quality? I have a friend who assumes that the models will be sub par and not very attractive.

I have yet to get one myself but it's said that RE:1/100 is somewhere between MGs and 1/100 of old. No inner frame like the MGs, but much more detail than the "regular" 1/100 (although not quite as much as more recent MGs I guess).
I may get the MkIII eventually myself, as I think the RE:1/100 looks quite nice and it will never get the MG treatment . Nor will the Gerbera or the Dijeh for that matter, I'd say if those are suits you want to get in 1/100 scale, there probably won't be a better line than RE:1/100 for a long, long time.

I think he got lost in some time loop during ZZ. Explains why he never shows up there and looks like 15 years older in CCA.
Also, his insane character shift. Being lost in time would drive anyone batty!

Aside from height, Amuro barely changes at all so it's more likely that the character artists on the show just have a hard time with proper age progression.
That explains Full Frontal's nutty time hopping at the end of Unicorn.

Wubby

The PG Full Armor set came yesterday along with the Tallgeese III. The box for the Full Armor set is almost as big as the Unicorn box itself... Didn't think it would be that big! I'll see if I can take a pic tomorrow.

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 6

Omg Im so glad Kira is back, but hopefully more than just a cameo :(

Junius Seven arc will be unforgettable due to the outcome and fighting up there. I love when Gundam does these type of near atmosphere battles. .

I just picked up the first Gunpla I've bought in 12 years. SD Nu Gundam and his big brother, MG Nu Gundam ver. Ka. Last kit I built was the MG Gundam Mk. 2, when I was just 15 years old. I felt them feels as I was building the SD kit just now, and let me tell you, the feels were good.

I should probably get into proper painting and stuff now, as I never did when I was younger. Where to look for guides and such?

PhiLonius

I just picked up the first Gunpla I've bought in 12 years. SD Nu Gundam and his big brother, MG Nu Gundam ver. Ka. Last kit I built was the MG Gundam Mk. 2, when I was just 15 years old. I felt them feels as I was building the SD kit just now, and let me tell you, the feels were good.

I should probably get into proper painting and stuff now, as I never did when I was younger. Where to look for guides and such?

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=217643

I loved how impressed Shinn was. Made me want to rewatch Seed.
I pretty much only rewatch Seed and Destiny for Athrun. I can't stand Kira, but I enjoy Athrun and how socially awkward he can be at times. Sometimes he's not on the right path, but when he is he's fine. Destiny....well keep watching. I don't want to rant and spoil things for you. I do like how Athrun doesn't go into Seed mode all the time like Kira does. Regarding Shinn...there's a couple of key Shinn reactions that are hilarious by the time the show is done.

Shouta

I would love to hear thoughts on the X Maoh when your done. Almost ordered it a couple weeks ago but decided to hold off.

Sure. I just have to decided which one to build first. I'm not going to do much in the way of extra stuff on my first one so I might have the X Maoh second or last, lol.

tumblr_ninbe2jNOe1t1dp0do1_1280.jpg

Shes here finally!!!!!

Was surprised to see the gold parts being actually gold, molded plastic gold, but still gold. The non painted stock photos showed it was a straight yellow. Kit is very grey but thats what panel lining is for. Will post the finished results (without paint) when its done, but that won't be for awhile. Got an interview monday and this will be a great relax project (hopefully). Does not seem to be anything complex about it just looking at it initially.

Acid08

Banned
Looks like HLJ is getting some stuff in? Just got charged for the MG Master Gundam they said was coming in the January restock. Still waiting on MG Shining and HG ZZ.

How much of the char arc is episode 1 gonna cover. I thought it would cover his escape from side 3 but it seems that they have some of the loud stuff as well.

Just a picture of my models currently in my dorm.
I'm completely finished with the Z'Gok, gotta add panel lines to the Crossbone Maoh, Lightning, Ez-SR, give some final touches to the RX-78-2, and paint/panel-line a ton of the Nu Gundoom.
Apparently, Gundam Markers aren't sold in my area so I gotta wait until they stock some on Amazon to paint the Nu, but I'll be working on the panel-lining/psycho-frame detail until then with the new hobby cotton swabs I got. (Holy crap, they cost a bit. >.>)
If anyone is looking for a new build to pick up, I recommend the Ez-SR for sure. It's the perfect build for customizing, working through neat details, and it just sticks out in a collection. I just wish his electric-claw-thing fit better on his arms. :/
Also, I'm only three steps into the GOUF build and it's already 10/10 amazing. Really loose head, though...

Zeta Gundam Ep 40:

Was Rosamia always a cyber new type or did she become one when they reintroduced her as thinking she was Kamille's sister? Because she was pretty normal earlier in the show. Now she's nuttier than a bag of deranged cats. Just when I thought Kamille is done getting the shit smacked out of him Emma smacks him twice in about 30 seconds.

Ep 41:

Bright will usually just slap you but Bask Ohm will punch you square in the face. He hit Reccoa like Reccoa was a dude.

Man, there's a ton of great info here and around the net. Unfortunately I'm a bit afraid to dive into some of it due to certain... limitations. I live in a tiny little 19th floor apartment with just my cramped bedroom, basically, so I don't know where I'd go to do anything that involves spraying, especially when it comes to highly-toxic topcoat and such. Kind of wondering what's the simplest way to do basic detailing with some shadowing/weathering and of course panel lines without going and spray painting every square mm of every piece on the runners.

Guess I'll need to keep researching. I'm starting to think I should pick up a simpler kit before tackling the MG Nu head-on. Maybe the MG RX-78-2? Anyway, thanks for the help.

Scavenger

Just a picture of my models currently in my dorm.
I'm completely finished with the Z'Gok, gotta add panel lines to the Crossbone Maoh, Lightning, Ez-SR, give some final touches to the RX-78-2, and paint/panel-line a ton of the Nu Gundoom.
Apparently, Gundam Markers aren't sold in my area so I gotta wait until they stock some on Amazon to paint the Nu, but I'll be working on the panel-lining/psycho-frame detail until then with the new hobby cotton swabs I got. (Holy crap, they cost a bit. >.>)
If anyone is looking for a new build to pick up, I recommend the Ez-SR for sure. It's the perfect build for customizing, working through neat details, and it just sticks out in a collection. I just wish his electric-claw-thing fit better on his arms. :/
Also, I'm only three steps into the GOUF build and it's already 10/10 amazing. Really loose head, though...
If you are willing to sacrifice a modelkit I suggest replacing the Nu Gundoom head with a HGUC Nu Gundam head. I did that on mine and it makes a big difference.

And the two heads next to each other. Not my picture. Picture taken from: http://duelmasterng.blogspot.com/2011/01/hg-gundoom-rx-93-nu-gundam-straight.html )

Zeta Gundam Ep 43:

Haman flies her Quebeley around with so much swag. It just has its hands on its hips.

Ep 44:

Lol at Haman and her cyanide filled earring. Don't fuck with Haman sama.

If you are willing to sacrifice a modelkit I suggest replacing the Nu Gundoom head with a HGUC Nu Gundam head. I did that on mine and it makes a big difference.

And the two heads next to each other. Not my picture. Picture taken from: http://duelmasterng.blogspot.com/2011/01/hg-gundoom-rx-93-nu-gundam-straight.html )
I said damn. What a change.
Thanks for the tip! I got to get a Nu Gundam for this. lol
I still gotta do the Psycho-Frame panel line, so I might order it when that's done. >.>

Just finished the Gouf R35! After wanting it for so long, I finally have it build.
And... It's freaking gorgeous. Definitely my new favorite build~

Beth Cyra

So the Sandrock upgrade from Frozen Teardrop has finally been shown.

New leg armor, forearms and radically new head. Shoulder and front skirts seem to be the same. I honestly can't say I like it, ut the craziness of the head makes me think of something out of G Gundam so if you like crazy designs you may dig it.

Zeta Gundam Ep 49:

Katz should've kept his eyes on the road. Dumb ass. Captain Henken should fire all his gunners. His thirst will never be quenched now.

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 7

Im so glad someone else is feeling for Athrun, Shinn is so caring.

The scale of the impacts seemed a bit strange, unless Junius Seven is bigger than I realized, seeing it generate skyscraper sized Tsunamis and wipe out Phildelphia, and the Atlantic seaboard was a bit on the extreme side. Glad it went through with.

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 7

Im so glad someone else is feeling for Athrun, Shinn is so caring.

The scale of the impacts seemed a bit strange, unless Junius Seven is bigger than I realized, seeing it generate skyscraper sized Tsunamis and wipe out Phildelphia, and the Atlantic seaboard was a bit on the extreme side. Glad it went through with.
Keep watching. If you don't want to hurl a beer bottle at the tv by like ep 28 I think you're a bigger man than me.
DTL, you...you've never seen SEED Destiny?

Oh boy, you are in for a treat!
Yeah I look forward to his reactions.

PhiLonius

So the Sandrock upgrade from Frozen Teardrop has finally been shown.

New leg armor, forearms and radically new head. Shoulder and front skirts seem to be the same. I honestly can't say I like it, ut the craziness of the head makes me think of something out of G Gundam so if you like crazy designs you may dig it.

I've always thought "fixing" Sandrock was an almost impossible task. It's never been a bad design per se, but there has just never been a lot going on with it. Even in EW, they could only take it so far.

Zeta Gundam Ep 49:

Katz should've kept his eyes on the road. Dumb ass. Captain Henken should fire all his gunners. His thirst will never be quenched now.

Obligatory

Acid08

Banned
I've always thought "fixing" Sandrock was an almost impossible task. It's never been a bad design per se, but there has just never been a lot going on with it. Even in EW, they could only take it so far.

Yeah, Sandrock was always more about the pilot than the suit.

Both are sub-par tho.

Beth Cyra

Obligatory
Lol well it certainly has a lot going on now. Weathering is a good or bad thing I'll leave up to each person.

That head, I looked at it for like 5 minutes and still can't really get over it.

At least they finally brought piping into the AC/ME timeline

Why is the Zeta Gundam powered by the Necronomicon? Kamille's childlike innocence with what just happened to him combined with Fa's pleading combined with the damn music really makes that ending a tear jerker.
1240393095655.jpg

Why is the Zeta Gundam powered by the Necronomicon? Kamille's childlike innocence with what just happened to him combined with Fa's pleading combined with the damn music really makes that ending a tear jerker.
Biosensor, because it somehow magically lets newtypes control minovsky particles. None of this is actually explained in the show which is so cool and edgy, then again it's probably kind of not the point. The necronomicon is powering a different robot.

Why are Gundam Markers so hard to get with Prime shipping all of a sudden? :/
Also, I just realized I never got my model kit New Years Campaign cards when I bought my last kits in December. Should I go back to HobbyTownUSA and ask for them?

Enron

Banned
Why are Gundam Markers so hard to get with Prime shipping all of a sudden? :/
Also, I just realized I never got my model kit New Years Campaign cards when I bought my last kits in December. Should I go back to HobbyTownUSA and ask for them?

They'll probably be glad to give you a bunch next time you go. I've seen the stack at my local hobbytown, it was several inches high. Hell, the employees are probably trying half the codes they get so many.

Biosensor, because it somehow magically lets newtypes control minovsky particles. None of this is actually explained in the show which is so cool and edgy, then again it's probably kind of not the point. The necronomicon is powering a different robot.
Is that different robot the Turn X? Just seemed like the Zeta was sucking up the souls of dead people to use as a power up.

Is that different robot the Turn X? Just seemed like the Zeta was sucking up the souls of dead people to use as a power up.

It's more like lingering newtype ghosts getting involved in the whole thing, which has become a staple of the gundam franchise.

Also nah I wasn't talking about a Gundam, it's this thing:

demonbaneeeeeeee2dbxx.jpg

It's more like lingering newtype ghosts getting involved in the whole thing, which has become a staple of the gundam franchise.

Also nah I wasn't talking about a Gundam, it's this thing:

demonbaneeeeeeee2dbxx.jpg
I kind of find it funny that the only Newtype ghost that didn't want Paptimus dead was Sarah...idiot. That looks like something out of Xenogears. Is the show good?

I kind of find it funny that the only Newtype ghost that didn't want Paptimus dead was Sarah...idiot. That looks like something out of Xenogears. Is the show good?

The show is terrible, the VN is good for the over the top robot/mecha but has issues and kind of a ton of pointless crap. Also not fully voiced because of the budget. The PS2 all ages version is better since they got more voice actors but that obviously never got localized.

The show is terrible, the VN is good for the over the top robot/mecha but has issues and kind of a ton of pointless crap. Also not fully voiced because of the budget. The PS2 all ages version is better since they got more voice actors but that obviously never got localized.
Lol show sounds worse than Valvrave.

I only survived 8 episodes of that show.

About to start up ZZ, pray for my sanity GundamGaf. I might get Moon Mooned to death. "But I wonder if Kamille gets dizzy from all that spinning." lol

ZZ real ep 1:

Damn Kamille is straight up vegetable. Is it safe to assume Fa wiped the dudes ass as well? I'm not sure who's dad is worse. Kamille's was a dick that cheated on his mom and then betrayed Kamille after he helped rescue him or Judau's because he's never there. So Kamille just transferred over his newtype powers by holding hands?

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 8
It finallyhappened. It only took episodes but yes, reunited at last. I also loved how it showed Athrun actually smiling. He never smiled with Cagalli even. Scene was really insightful and inspiring and taking place at sunset on a beach made it even more touching.

Shinn fits in well with both Kira and Athrun, maybe we can get some gundam action with all three going on later. Should be easy since Athrun and Shinn are currently trying to find some purpose in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom