• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wubby

Finally got around to taking pics..

These all came last week

jbfTdzzRkOGanS.jpg

I mentioned before that the PG Full armor set comes in a big box! Only just a bit thinner..

jE4DOPVAB8ZO9.jpg

The Mock is a fun looking kit. Only costs 630yen!

I may be moving within a few months so won't be building anything besides snapping some HG kits together.

Beth Cyra

These all came last week

jbfTdzzRkOGanS.jpg

I mentioned before that the PG Full armor set comes in a big box! Only just a bit thinner..

jE4DOPVAB8ZO9.jpg

I may be moving within a few months so won't be building anything besides snapping some HG kits together.

Nice. Mock needs a p Bandai turn variant already.

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 8

It finallyhappened. It only took episodes but yes, reunited at last. I also loved how it showed Athrun actually smiling. He never smiled with Cagalli even. Scene was really insightful and inspiring and taking place at sunset on a beach made it even more touching.

Shinn fits in well with both Kira and Athrun, maybe we can get some gundam action with all three going on later. Should be easy since Athrun and Shinn are currently trying to find some purpose in life.
Your positive Seed Destiny reactions are like a breath of fresh air in these threads.

ZZ Ep 4:

Why can't these guys close their cockpits? Either Uso fights better than Judau or Mashymere fights better than Chronicle cause Judau's getting worked in this cockpit fight.

yami4ct

So the Sandrock upgrade from Frozen Teardrop has finally been shown.

New leg armor, forearms and radically new head. Shoulder and front skirts seem to be the same. I honestly can't say I like it, ut the craziness of the head makes me think of something out of G Gundam so if you like crazy designs you may dig it.

Where'd you find it? Looked all over my usual sources and see no mention of it. Would love to get a look. I despise the FT redesigns so far, but they'll probably hit something right eventually.

As for Sandrock itself, maybe I'm alone but I really love the design. The OVA colors look really good with the sort of feathery shoulders and mohawk. Sucker for the Heat Shotels and cloak as well. I actually like it better than any version of Shenlong, non-OVA Heavyarms, the original Wing and first Deathscythe.

EDIT:

Ah, found it. Was hidden in all the other G-Ace info. God that head is terrible. Completely screws up the entire design. Who's the mechanical designer on Frozen Teardrop? I just don't get how they continue to keep missing what makes the Wing designs work.

Beth Cyra

It's actually Katoki. He's done all the mechanical designs.

He is threatening each design the same way he did the Unicorn and upgrading each line instead of making unique gundam.

Yeah the new Sandrock is awful. I still can't get over the head, knees arnt bad at least.

What's even odder is the fact Snow white has three different head designs. So even though we've never seen it all the way they radically changed the v fin and head crest multiple times since its original cloak reveal.

yami4ct

It's actually Katoki. He's done all the mechanical designs.

He is threatening each design the same way he did the Unicorn and upgrading each line instead of making unique gundam.

Yeah the new Sandrock is awful. I still can't get over the head, knees arnt bad at least.

What's even odder is the fact Snow white has three different head designs. So even though we've never seen it all the way they radically changed the v fin and head crest multiple times since its original cloak reveal.

I can't believe these are from Katoki himself. They look like something from an up and coming B or C tier designer. Katoki's designs are usually a bit more Super Robot, but the upgrades make sense in-world. These Frozen Teardrop designs are just full on SR and it doesn't work. It honestly looks like first draft designs. I get what he's trying to do, with Sandrock for instance bring in more Arabic influence to the design, but those aspects look like something that would be toned down on subsequent drafts. If you were to keep the general shape of the new Sandrock head but shrunk down the headdress, it may work, but as it stands it's a mess.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Go to Gundam Guy and check yesterday's info. Just look at the above post to get an idea where it's at.

Oh, found it, thanks

Looks weird, hard to make a judgement without seeing a full suit, but it just looks like an aesthetic change, and not functional.

yami4ct

New Double X is compatible with the 1/100 G-Falcon. Guess that means we won't get a MG Falcon, but I guess we don't really need it. Probably should pick that thing up soon. Really cool for Bandai to make that work.

Also, P-Bandai is doing a a special release with new decals. Hope Samuel Decal gets a version up so we don't need to pay P-Bandai import money just for some new markings.

Beth Cyra

I can't believe these are from Katoki himself. They look like something from an up and coming B or C tier designer. Katoki's designs are usually a bit more Super Robot, but the upgrades make sense in-world. These Frozen Teardrop designs are just full on SR and it doesn't work. It honestly looks like first draft designs. I get what he's trying to do, with Sandrock for instance bring in more Arabic influence to the design, but those aspects look like something that would be toned down on subsequent drafts. If you were to keep the general shape of the new Sandrock head but shrunk down the headdress, it may work, but as it stands it's a mess.

I've felt the exact same way through out the hole in thing including his redesign of Wing Zero EW, he has either went full ham on the SR influence with Prometheus, Shazadea, and Warlock or someone convinced him these where good but I have a hard time time believing that.

However it has his name allover it where and he has spoken in interviews and the release of Proto Zero and Zero Redesign so he is acting very much like the these are his designs. So either they are his or its a very elaborate lie that could take his name through the mud and even includes his decal styling.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

These all came last week

jbfTdzzRkOGanS.jpg

jE4DOPVAB8ZO9.jpg

Oh man I gotta get some of those mocks lol

Wubby

Oh man I gotta get some of those mocks lol

It's a pretty nifty kit for its cost! The latest issue of the hobby magazines have some pretty cool custom builds using the Mock. It lends itself really well to customization.

Also a pretty cool feature is it comes with adapters for its arms so you can plug in some 1/100 scale hands (and use 1/100 weapons with the kit). Seems limited to working with 1/100 Exia or Aile Strike hands though if I'm reading this right.

I've reached the point where I'm considering getting models I already have to paint them differently from the regular style. >.>
Also, the ZII is mad expensive at my local hobby shop for no reason.

Lol Fa just slapped Judau. I don't even think she slapped Kamille once in all of Zeta.

Did, did uh, you watch Zeta? We are talking about Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam here right? The one where Kamille and Fa have slap fights on a regular basis and characters comment on how much they fight for a couple? That show right? That's the one?

Did, did uh, you watch Zeta? We are talking about Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam here right? The one where Kamille and Fa have slap fights on a regular basis and characters comment on how much they fight for a couple? That show right? That's the one?
I remember them arguing, they argued a lot because it's impossible to not argue with Kamille. But I don't recall Fa slapping Kamille. If she did well it makes sense. I'm just used to either Emma or Reccoa being the female to bitch slap Kamille. There's a good chance it happened really early in the series, but Fa for the most part either didn't hit him at all or just didn't hit him that much. Actually I think she goes upside his head when he catches a peak at her in her bath towel after she gave Shinta and Qum a bath. If that's the only time then that's for a completely different reason and not because Kamille was shouting at her about his ideals.

ZZ Ep 7:

Yazan capturing that pig at the end was quite funny.

ZZ Ep 9:

How much of Mashymre's flashbacks with Haman rooted in truth in relation to him being thirstier than Captain Henken? Because Haman doesn't seem like the dress wearing type. And here's where Glemy's obsession with Roux begins, can't say I blame him she is pretty cute. Roux really likes shooting people in the back doesn't she.

ZZ Ep 10:

I swear Judau is the only Gundam protag not fucked up and that allows him to kiss his own ass. He's got confidence, he's a bit of a punk yes, but he doesn't need to be literally slapped back into reality like Kamille. I swear Chara looks out of place on this show. She looks like she was transported out of one of those dimensions from Heavy Metal. I swear if this was Victory Beecha and that other guy would've been shot into outer space for trying to get the ship captured. And Fa is off to go change Kamille's diapers after saving Judau. You can tell Kamille and Fa love each other. Kamille's a bit weird, but he cares about her sadly he didn't realize it till the end and then he gets turned into broccoli. Fa's like the mother that Kamille lost, she knows how to handle him for the most part.

yami4ct

RD Hyaku Shiki, now I can complete my trio of Zeta MS.

I'm not a fan of this design though, something seems off.

I love the Hyaku Shiki, but that RD looks really strange. It's like the head is too small for the chest and shoulder armors or vice-versa. Not exactly sure which it is. Finish on the gold isn't exactly like I'd like either.

Really sad as I'd really love a good HS figure or kit. The MG and HG are both woefully outdated.

Oh, boy. The Real Grade line never ceases to amaze me.
The Gundam Mk.II is an AMAZING build. So freaking stable and well-engineered. (Except the opening cockpit and the wobbly shoulders.)
I don't think I've had that much fun playing with the separate parts of a Gundam before. The wiring effect looks awesome and the different color tones work well for a suit that's primarily blue and white.
I'm not even a fan of the Mk.II! I hated it because I wanted to see the Zeta so badly, but after that really long build, I feel like it's the perfect upgrade to the RX-78-2, and just a swell design. I should have listened to you guys about how it's an awesome kit sooner.

So far I've finished the first 10 eps of ZZ and I don't hate it. Which means I like it more than I did than when I first watched it. Granted I don't think I'm at that zany Moon Moon arc portion, but I'm not hating it. Anybody know if Mashymre is on drugs?

Tecl0n

So far I've finished the first 10 eps of ZZ and I don't hate it. Which means I like it more than I did than when I first watched it. Granted I don't think I'm at that zany Moon Moon arc portion, but I'm not hating it. Anybody know if Mashymre is on drugs?

I agree with this sentiment, it's the first time i'm watching though, for all the flak i read i kinda like the upbeat humor.

I agree with this sentiment, it's the first time i'm watching though, for all the flak i read i kinda like the upbeat humor.
It's not bad, it's just a bit campy, which wasn't a tone I was used to when I first saw it. I saw this after the first Gundam, Zeta and Victory and after several others. I'm used to a more serious tone in my Gundam shows. It's doing it's job, it's not bad. Judau is definitely not your standard Gundam protag either.

PhiLonius

The first 20 or so episodes of ZZ are a bit different than what you would expect when first coming in, but after that it does settle down and manages to hit its stride.

The first 20 or so episodes of ZZ are a bit different than what you would expect when first coming in, but after that it does settle down and manages to hit its stride.
Yeah I know. I just remember hating the first 20 more, but I haven't minded the first 10, which is a lot better than I remember. I still haven't gotten to some of the Moon Moon weirdness and that's probably what I remember disliking the most. Pretty much I probably won't put it as my favorite show, but I'm definitely taking it off my "fuck this show" list.

So it seems like my local store finally will be getting more than the new models and will be stocking Gundam Markers (Separate colors, too), Tamiya spray clear coat, and extra accessories. Woo!

You shut up about Elle
She shouldn't have marched into Fa's room 2 minutes after she leaves the Argama and try to take her mirror like she's a corpse. Why is Chara acting like the sky is falling? Double Zeta just chopped a meteorite in half, you have no answer for that Mashymre. Why does the ZZ have a cooler looking docking sequence than the Impulse?

Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 9

Such an intense battle, though if they hadnt had Dearka in a ZAKU (whyd they downgrade this season, he had a great Gundam last season), then they probably could have avoided the Stampeder usage. In any case it did look fantastic. I always liked what they did with this anime and the lighting effects and light flares and whatnot.

though wow Lacus arriving there, thats surprising, I like how folks were against PLANTs last season and now siding with PLANTs.

ZZ Ep 12:

Gottn just got a face full of Chara cleavage. She's got to be a cyber newtype. Chara is such an unorthodox captain. No wonder Glemy wanted nothing to do with her. Glemy is so thirsty for Roux and he just met her like 2 episodes ago. Lol Roux is unimpressed by Glemy the mama's boy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD 9

Such an intense battle, though if they hadnt had Dearka in a ZAKU (whyd they downgrade this season, he had a great Gundam last season), then they probably could have avoided the Stampeder usage. In any case it did look fantastic. I always liked what they did with this anime and the lighting effects and light flares and whatnot.

though wow Lacus arriving there, thats surprising, I like how folks were against PLANTs last season and now siding with PLANTs.

They don't really go into it but the various powers signed a treaty that forced stricter power limits on the new set of Mobile Suits and his previous Gundam was property of the Earth forces. The five suits introduced at the beginning, including the three animal ones stolen, are the first of the ZAFT Gundams that follow the treaty.

I personally love the retro suit designs in this show.

yami4ct

Well, I'm off my painting hiatus now. Just got out my compressor and brush and everything is in working order. Ordered a new stock of paint as well. Switching from Tamiya to Mr Color because last time I worked with lacquers it turned out so damn beautiful.

Look forward to some project pictures as soon as my stock up arrives. First project is either going to be painting up my Build Burning or Winning Gundam. Not sure which.

yami4ct

working with lacquers = rip lungs

Proper ventilation while painting (and possibly a face covering) pretty much fixes that. I have a bunch of windows and a huge door I open up. The wind takes care of the rest. I would never paint without either a ton of open space or a paint booth. though. That'd be murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom