• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you I'm not alone in liking Victory. Victory might have shit suit designs but it's still a pretty good show...once you get passed the grim dark tone and women constantly being thrown into fridges.

It's depressing and everybody dies but honestly it has the best ending out of all the series. Because it's an actual ending. The show is done the heroes win the war is over and another one isn't creeping on the horizon like every other show in UC.

It's depressing and everybody dies but honestly it has the best ending out of all the series. Because it's an actual ending. The show is done the heroes win the war is over and another one isn't creeping on the horizon like every other show in UC.
Everybody above a certain age bracket does, that's for damn sure. Katejina's portrayal and descent into insanity was great too.

Thank you I'm not alone in liking Victory. Victory might have shit suit designs but it's still a pretty good show...once you get passed the grim dark tone and women constantly being thrown into fridges.

Plus, Katejina is the most hate-able female character in robot cartoons until Asuka Langley-Souryuu.

I really enjoyed how she was the generic love interest who was likely going to die and they turned her into a sociopath unworthy of death.

Now THAT'S a character arc.

Plus, Katejina is the most hate-able female character in robot cartoons until Asuka Langley-Souryuu.
I actually hate Asuka more. After Victory I felt bad for Katejina, Asuka I can't say the same for.
I really enjoyed how she was the generic love interest who was likely going to die and they turned her into a sociopath unworthy of death.

Now THAT'S a character arc.
So true. I don't even know if she even knows who she is after the ending.

I actually hate Asuka more. After Victory I felt bad for Katejina, Asuka I can't say the same for.

In a way, though, you could be happy for her because for the first time in the show, she seems at peace at the end... 'in a way,' if that makes any sense.

Asuka, meanwhile, is getting bukkake'd in her sleep, and then later choked on a beach in a hellish landscape. lol God EoE was weird as fuck.

In a way, though, you could be happy for her because for the first time in the show, she seems at peace at the end... 'in a way,' if that makes any sense.

Asuka, meanwhile, is getting bukkake'd in her sleep, and then later choked on a beach in a hellish landscape. lol God EoE was weird as fuck.

Anno was weird as fuck*

Dude is seriously nuts. In a good way but still nuts.

Halfway through my Wing boxset, best 15$ spent in years.

Katejina's only at peace cause she pretty much lost everything. Has no friends, her boy toy is dead, can't see, barely seems independent. Asuka just stayed a bitch that trashed Shinji every chance she got. Even if she does like him she doesn't even know how to let the guy know, but yes EOE is fucking weird.

Man, you went deep into that hole. Probably too deep. lol

The first season is actually solid. The mecha designs were pretty varied and Kenji Kawai was Kenji Kawai. It's one of the things I got hyped about when they first announced it.

Well you could have read that entirely into the first half of the 00 Season 1, until the sudden shift that happens in the 2nd half.

Guess what, that's the point of UC! A bunch of people died, a whole lot of shit got blown up and nothing changed! Welcome to real life kid, try not to kill your self just to escape from the misery. Although Tomino's stuff is a bit more optimistic with the "well maybe it wont suck as much later" outlook.
Yeah she's at peace because she's basically a newtype vegetable.
ezC0s.jpg

Halfway through my Wing boxset, best 15$ spent in years.
iZ1Ho.png

The point of UC was the failure of the promises of the space age (it's implied they built the stations in the 1960's). The endless war was simply an extension of those failures, not the point of the series.
You are going to have to expand on that reading a bit more because that's not really stated in the text of the show from what I can see.

Man, you went deep into that hole. Probably too deep. lol

Maybe so, but beneath everything else, there is a very interesting sci-fi story there. I'm just talking about the elements of the story that give it more of a classic sci-fi feel than other Gundam series.

Yeah she's at peace because she's basically a newtype vegetable.

No doubt. But, compared to how miserable and tortured she was before, I'm not so sure if this is any worse. Hence 'in a way.'

Victory is best Gundamu. (well next to Zeta).

Thanks for the heads-up gais. I'v been told by errybody that it was worth skipping, I'll eventually watch it but for now I'll watch, idk probably 8th MS or something. I'v seen all but 00 and ZZ (saw one episode, immediately hated the tone and characters). So I'll watch it just... later.

Victory Gundam was awesome.

Victory Gundam was awesome.
I will never understand why that show had such optimistic openings.
Victory is best Gundamu. (well next to Zeta).

Thanks for the heads-up gais. I'v been told by errybody that it was worth skipping, I'll eventually watch it but for now I'll watch, idk probably 8th MS or something. I'v seen all but 00 and ZZ (saw one episode, immediately hated the tone and characters). So I'll watch it just... later.
ZZ actually does get better. I originally didn't like it that much as well till like midway through but on my rewatch I'm enjoying it a lot more. It's not my fave, but it's out of the "shit" ranking.

Because an opening that was just "OH GOD OH GOD EVERYBODY IS DEAD OH MY GOD" wouldn't have gotten quite the viewership.
Even Zeta had openings that showcase the tone of the show pretty well, as did War in a Pocket. The first Victory opening is Stand Up to the Victory. There's nothing happy about the show with the League Militaire getting trounced by the Zanscare and with that old guy later getting guillotined. Talk about mood whiplash.

Even Zeta had openings that showcase the tone of the show pretty well, as did War in a Pocket. The first Victory opening is Stand Up to the Victory. There's nothing happy about the show with the League Militaire getting trounced by the Zanscare and with that old guy later getting guillotined. Talk about mood whiplash.

Nah I agree the tonal dissonance is bizarre as hell but I can absolutely see the logic in not wanting people to know just how dark it was. A lot of dark anime do that tonal shift in the opening. That said it shouldn't have been quite that bubbly.

I haven't watched War in the Pocket in forever. I should do that soon. Loved that one.

Nah I agree the tonal dissonance is bizarre as hell but I can absolutely see the logic in not wanting people to know just how dark it was. A lot of dark anime do that tonal shift in the opening. That said it shouldn't have been quite that bubbly.

I haven't watched War in the Pocket in forever. I should do that soon. Loved that one.
For some odd reason I just can't finish that one. I don't exactly like child main characters. I don't hate it, but the kid annoys me and I eventually start watching something else. I can try to one shot it in a day. It's weird because it actually has one of my favorite Gundam themes too. Victory is almost laughably dark. What happened to Usso's mom is so fucking over the top.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've only tapped out twice on Gundam. Season two of 00 and AGE. I still can't decide which one I'd rather finish least.

00 has better animation so maybe that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shinn is more interesting. I'm against corporal punishment but that boy needed to get slapped/punched/kicked more.

SPOILERS FOR DTL
In a series filled with insubordination he's the most, never gets punished for anything he does and is usually rewarded for it.

Shinn is more interesting. I'm against corporal punishment but that boy needed to get slapped/punched/kicked more.

SPOILERS FOR DTL
In a series filled with insubordination he's the most, never gets punished for anything he does and is usually rewarded for it.
He needed that Kamille beatdown, Wong set his ass straight...didn't work on Judau though.
kamilleoptyzkf.gif

Why oh why couldn't Athrun do it in from the the Minerva crew. Lunamaria would've been so impressed.

So Flit really is a worse character than Shinn?

No Flit is a great character. He is an orphaned child soldier scared by the horrors of war that grows up to be a genocidal maniac hellbent on eradicating an entire race of human beings. He usurps the ruling government, plots a coup, conducts political purges and raises his children to be soldiers and killing machines from birth.

The problem with AGE is that it makes all of that incredibly boring.

No Flit is a great character. He is an orphaned child soldier scared by the horrors of war that grows up to be a genocidal maniac hellbent on eradicating an entire race of human beings. He usurps the ruling government, plots a coup, conducts political purges and raises his children to be soldiers and killing machines from birth.

So that's why Corvo kept calling him "space Hitler" he sounds like an interesting character, I guess the execution was just fucked.

RangerBAD

Maybe so, but beneath everything else, there is a very interesting sci-fi story there. I'm just talking about the elements of the story that give it more of a classic sci-fi feel than other Gundam series.

No doubt. But, compared to how miserable and tortured she was before, I'm not so sure if this is any worse. Hence 'in a way.'

I see what you're saying now and I agree. I just meant they never made me feel compelled to think of the altruistic nature of Veda which is yet another flaw of the show. It probably focused on a lot of the wrong elements. Macross Plus dealt with that well though. Although Sharon Apple cared about one person in a way.

I see what you're saying now and I agree. I just meant they never made me feel compelled to think of the altruistic nature of Veda which is yet another flaw of the show. It probably focused on a lot of the wrong elements. Macross Plus dealt with that well though. Although Sharon Apple cared about one person in a way.
Sharon Apple also gave the world some really good music.

PhiLonius

SPOILERS FOR DTL

This. They have an entire episode dedicated to him doing nothing but breaking the rules and his punishment for his actions was
a few minutes locked up and the Destiny Gundam upgrade a couple episodes later

So that's why Corvo kept calling him "space Hitler" he sounds like an interesting character, I guess the execution was just fucked.

The execution for the entire show was fucked, Flit just happens to be at the center of it all. And "Space Hitler" is pretty much on point.

Don't forget his obsession with a Vegan girl who died in front of him when he was a kid.

RangerBAD

He needed that Kamille beatdown, Wong set his ass straight...didn't work on Judau though.
kamilleoptyzkf.gif

Why oh why couldn't Athrun do it in from the the Minerva crew. Lunamaria would've been so impressed.

Bright's slaps and punches were tough love. Wong just committed assault. Hathaway and Riddhe deserved that more.

tumblr_n9al94ApCY1qhvucpo2_500.gif

Bright's slaps and punches were tough love. Wong just committed assault. Hathaway and Riddhe deserved that more.
Kamille didn't step out of line with Wong again though after this. I actually think Bright hit Kamille the least in the show, but it's so hard to keep track with Zeta. I think Emma smacked his ass up the most.
tumblr_n9al94ApCY1qhvucpo2_500.gif

I can confirm that Riddhe and Hathaway...and fucking Quees deserved this.

SPOILERS FOR DTL

shinn%20new_zpscvmooe37.jpg

Most enjoyable moment of Destiny.

I generally don't butt in when you all are talking smack about 00 like it's the worst thing since Victory but when you go on to actually talk positively about Victory then I just have to say you're insane.

1szuziw.gif

This is me when watching Victory. The show that literally introduced a squad of hot girl pilots who were shot down each episode after opening their mouths for the first time just to praise Uso and give him a boner.
It's a show with ugly animation and the most disgusting mech and mobile armor designs in the whole franchise. You think AGE's dinosaurs are bad? Wait until you see The Grand Hubba Bubba Separating Serpent, piloted by Mr. "I will show those women and children what fear is!"
The entire cast is full of idiots, pedophiles and other scum. Shakti is little more than an annoying carriage for Karlmann, the source of neverending shrieking. The Char shoe-in is some high ranking imbecile wearing a surgical mask who fails to shoot down a suicidal 12 year old bowlcut wearing countrygrown stalker nerd. And then there's Katejina Loos. Ohhh I don't even know where to start. That's because I really don't know where to start because neither did anyone working on that wreck of a show.

You have to be taking some serious shit to enjoy Victory. It's very likely that all of you calling it "grim" and "dark" and "depressing" watched it on wikipedia. That show makes a mockery of the whole concept of life and death because not only does the watcher not give a shit about anyone dying in this show since they're only introduced five minutes before their tits go flying into the vacuum of space but because the characters are not even remembered by the main cast by the next episode.

Victory Gundam is the second anime I had to stop watching because it made my body and spirit react in a way that made me want to kill someone responsible for this dreck.

That show makes a mockery of the whole concept of life and death because not only does the watcher not give a shit about anyone dying in this show since they're only introduced five minutes before their tits go flying into the vacuum of space but because the characters are not even remembered by the main cast by the next episode.

PdVWt.jpg

I will always just say different strokes for different folks. I hate Karlmann, but all in all I don't hate the show. Watched the whole thing. Only episode I remember skipping is that dream episode towards the end. Show went full crazy with that bikini bazooka squad. I honestly see the Zanscare Empire as a regime that went insane because it's rife with inbreeding.

Finished Wingu.

So, I'm a masochist apparently, because I want to watch 00 and see how much I'll hate it.

I'll be posting a play by play of course, as is custom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom