• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy

shadyspace said:
By "for a month" does that mean we won't be getting to see the whole series? And it'll really only be available streaming at 4am? You'd think they'd put it up on Crunchyroll the day after.

no it means you have to watch it within a month of it airing, then they take that episode down

the bulletpoints of the story to age sound potentially awesome, but I doubt it'll live up to that potential :(

God, I haven't had anything to do with Unicorn and just watched some youtube videos and think it looks great. Is it as great on the whole as its bite-sized chunks are?

Six episodes, right? I may just start watching the ones that have already come out....

How would you gentlemen rank this OVA series compared to the other Gundam properties???

Coxy said:
no it means you have to watch it within a month of it airing, then they take that episode down

the bulletpoints of the story to age sound potentially awesome, but I doubt it'll live up to that potential :(
Oh, so it will be archived? I'm totally willing to give AGE a shot, I find the premise interesting and don't mind if it's more shonen-leaning than previous series.

shadyspace said:
Oh, so it will be archived? I'm totally willing to give AGE a shot, I find the premise interesting and don't mind if it's more shonen-leaning than previous series.

Yep, each episode will be archived for a month.

It airs at midnight here on the west coast of North America.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
First episode of Gundam Age was pretty dull and by-the-numbers, there isn't really anything that stands out as particularly offensive, the animation and production values are fairly solid, and the direction is competent for the material i guess, but it feels very empty and just boring to watch otherwise, not so sure if I'm going stick with this. Not to mention the whole atmosphere of the show feels very kiddy, and closer to a 4kids take on gundam then anything else.

One major positive about the series is the mechas are at least hand-drawn!

Dreams-Visions said:
alrightey then. what are the names of these 3 movies, exactly? that'll make my search for them much easier.
Well since one one else answered some quick googling says it's.

Mobile Suit Gundam I
Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space

which sounds about right. Although I would think the movie trilogy or something would be the most common way they are referred to as.

Blader

Dreams-Visions said:
Thanks for all the insight, everyone!

I'm open to everything so long as it does not suck. lol

I'm watching the english dub of the original series. Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (43 episodes). Am I doing it wrong? Or do I need to find the movie trilogy still?

I've watched 3 episodes so far...and you can tell this show was well ahead of its time. Generally serious, no music lending to the tone, people getting murdered in droves, etc.

alrightey then. what are the names of these 3 movies, exactly? that'll make my search for them much easier.

No, that's fine. The movie trilogy is a compilation of the tv series, and most people would say to watch that and not bother with the series because it's: a) quicker, and b) cuts out a lot of the filler and super robot tropes in the tv series. But the series is still pretty damn great on its own (and I think the dub is actually really good too), so you're hardly doing yourself a disservice by watching the show instead of the movies.

But the movies' names, if you're interested are: Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow, and Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space.

Blader

Etrian Oddity said:
God, I haven't had anything to do with Unicorn and just watched some youtube videos and think it looks great. Is it as great on the whole as its bite-sized chunks are?

Six episodes, right? I may just start watching the ones that have already come out....

How would you gentlemen rank this OVA series compared to the other Gundam properties???

I think it has been fucking fantastic so far and, at this rate, could be potentially the best thing to ever come out of Gundam.

Lafiel said:
First episode of Gundam Age was pretty dull and by-the-numbers, there isn't really anything that stands out as particularly offensive, the animation and production values are fairly solid, and the direction is competent for the material i guess, but it feels very empty and just boring to watch otherwise, not so sure if I'm going stick with this. Not to mention the whole atmosphere of the show feels very kiddy, and closer to a 4kids take on gundam then anything else.

One major positive about the series is the mechas are at least hand-drawn!
Yeah pretty much. Random uniforms out of 00, random references to other gundam series. Also was Seed the first series to have a knife for a starting weapon? I mean what's wrong with having a good old beam saber? No has to be a vibration knife, or beam dagger, or in this case a smaller beam dagger or knife or something.

Edit: Well if you really want to watch it you can use http://www.sonicwallbypass.info/bro...9tL3dhdGNoP3Y9RHVYTUZyRUJZYTg=&b=13&f=norefer

Got the workaround to work. Watched the episode a little while ago. It's simplistic and formulaic, but I thought it was fine. I guess I don't hold my giant robot cartoons to such a high standard.

Lostconfused said:
Well since one one else answered some quick googling says it's.

Mobile Suit Gundam I
Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space

which sounds about right. Although I would think the movie trilogy or something would be the most common way they are referred to as.
thanks guys!

Bebpo

Banned
The episode was fine. It was a very standard/predictable because it just did the usual Gundam "ep1 is kid in school, bad guys attack, kid gets in gundam" thing. But there wasn't anything really offensive about it besides maybe sticking to the the same tired intro (OO S1 ep1 had a nice way to start a Gundam series).

Animation is passable, music is good, the main character is fine and he makes more sense than 90% of Gundam pilots since he's a mechanic who actually built the thing and it's understandable he'd know how to use it.

Supporting girl was stereotypical DEPENDS ON HER MAN smh Japanese. Older people were all fine.

The main difference is that since it's family friendly PG gundam, there's no human death on screen (outside of flashbacks), which is a little weird since it's about war, but it can still be a good disney gundam without it.

My only worry is the lack of other Gundams in the show. If the enemies are all just dinobot flying things and the allies are generic guncannons and stuff, mecha-design wise it'll be a little empty. At least 0079 had enemy mobile suit mecha designs as well as the Gundam.

But looking forward to ep2. The staff is horrible, but ep1 was not the disaster it should have been, so maybe it'll turn out well. Already better than the OO Movie at least.

B.K.

Dreams-Visions said:
welp, if there is no English dub version out there, this will do nicely.

The only dubbed versions of the movies are the dubs from the 90s. Every release of the movies for the last ten years has been sub only.

maruchan

I liked it, not bad.. But fails in comparison to the first ep of Gundam Seed when Kira gets in the Strike, and rises for the frist time.. one of the coolest moments in Gundam history.

are they still using the 3d models from Seed. cause they still have the same poses and movements.. lol

Takao

Banned
Screw AGE Episode 1. I wanted hot blooded shonen rising to action and destroying his foes. Instead I got the generic Gundam episode that starts almost all of them.

MechaX

donkey show said:
If you want to, Bandai just put up all those movies onto Youtube:

Movie 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9o7hgHLm7c
Movie 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmKRg9dK80
Movie 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlB9v_CCVkc

From someone who found the TV Series to be as slow as molasses, I think that the movies are the only real way to watch the first Gundam series. The movies actually have pacing this time around and halfway decent choreography for its battles.

I just watched Unicorn 1.

HO

LEE

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I am absolutely in love. WOW. Every single thing about this series, including plot, animation, character design, imagery, narrative, and music, makes this seem like it's Bandai's penultimate Gundam project.

Takao

Banned
Does anyone know what's up with the dub of the Romance of the three Kingdoms SD Gundam show? I know it's airing somewhere, and last I heard it actually got a real (ie; not Singapore talent) cast.

I actually thought Episode 1 of Unicorn was rather weak. Filled with a lot of annoying things found in Tomino Gundam(outside of Turn A) like shouting one's feelings and a meh protagonist. I've learned to just accept those things and I enjoyed aspects of the next episodes. I mean it is nice to see UC era stuff again.

Blader

Rahxephon91 said:
I actually thought Episode 1 of Unicorn was rather weak. Filled with a lot of annoying things found in Tomino Gundam(outside of Turn A) like shouting one's feelings and a meh protagonist. I've learned to just accept those things and I enjoyed aspects of the next episodes. I mean it is nice to see UC era stuff again.

I think that's an anime thing, not a Gundam thing.

Blader5489 said:
Pretty much. You can point at countless anime where they do that.

Anyway, watched AGE and was the atypical intro episode that we've all grown to love/hate. Kinda getting a Nadesico vibe from the enemies, but we'll see how it pans out.

Etrian Oddity said:
I just watched Unicorn 1.

HO

LEE

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I am absolutely in love. WOW. Every single thing about this series, including plot, animation, character design, imagery, narrative, and music, makes this seem like it's Bandai's penultimate Gundam project.
So once AGE is over that's it for Gundam?

hteng

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Unicorn ep4 Trailer #2
DAT ANIMATION, DAT BRIGHT, DAT SHAMBLO

oh man fuck you! I will forever miss original Bright's voice.

shadyspace said:
Can someone give me some quick background on Unicorn? All I know is that it was based on an novel.

UC gundam is base on the UC timeline, it takes place in 0096, a few years after char's counterattack movie, way before F91 and Victory gundam.

The series is to be a sorta bridge between early UC and late UC and how newtypes takes a backseat for the later series.

but generally it starts with a mystery box that is present in UC0001 and the UC gundam will be the vessel to find it and unlock its secrets.

Blader5489 said:
Maybe it's a Japanese thing. Either way it's much worse in Gundam. Regardless, I just found all the characters in Unicorn to be very flat and boring. And the use of newtype abilities to cut out actual development is just lame now. I can't really care about Banagher and his attraction to Audry if it's basically all based on some psychic mental connection and nothing else. That's tired.

Dambrosi

Banned
Just watched AGE episode 1.

All I can say is "Oh Gods, it's just so ordinary".

And is it bad that I can deduce from the very first episode, particularly its OP, how the entire series is going to proceed? I mean, we have three heroes, one for each "age"; Flit is an obvious Amuro expy (and from that, you can guess who the other two will be), just as his eminently forgettable girlfriend is a pre-pubescent Frau Bow wearing a Sayla Mass wig, there's already a Jamil Neet clone with asthma who's destined to become faux-Bright, and a mysterious purple-haired girl in the reflection in AmuFlit's helmet visor who's going to end up as Lalah's copypasta; there's an unprovoked attack on AmuFlit's home colony by three (count 'em - three, including one differently-coloured "ace") enemy mobile suits, AmuFlit responds by taking the very RX-78-2 looking Gundam out and defeating one, the other two flee and attack the colony from outside with missiles; in the backstory, we see that there was a colony drop/attack called "The Day Angel Fell" which smells distinctly of Bloody Valentine. So far, so SEED, which leads me to assume that this is yet another repackaging of the original UC trilogy for a new audience.

Which leads me to believe that the whole SEED project has been abandoned, which thankfully means no SEED movie. We can all safely pretend that Destiny never happened, which is more than can be said for 00 Season 2, unfortunately (IT'S STILL SETSUNA'S COMA DREAM TO ME, DAMMIT!). But I digress.

Hey, Sunrise: If you're so keen to resurrect Original Gundam, then just animate The Origin, for crying out loud. There's a rumour that you will. I'm hoping you do.

I'm also hoping, for your sakes, that AGE actually lasts the full course.

Boring AGE. I mean at least have some interesting mecha designs to help me get through, but everything about it is just so... bleh.

Rahxephon91 said:
Maybe it's a Japanese thing. Either way it's much worse in Gundam. Regardless, I just found all the characters in Unicorn to be very flat and boring. And the use of newtype abilities to cut out actual development is just lame now. I can't really care about Banagher and his attraction to Audry if it's basically all based on some psychic mental connection and nothing else. That's tired.

Not so much Gundam or Anime, but mecha genre in general.

B.K.

Dambrosi said:
Hey, Sunrise: If you're so keen to resurrect Original Gundam, then just animate The Origin, for crying out loud. There's a rumour that you will. I'm hoping you do.

They've already announced that they're going to animate The Origin. They just haven't announced the format yet.

Bebpo

Banned
I think they keep remaking 0079 because a lot of the times when they try something totally new and different like Gundam OO S1 (although you could say OO S1 was basically a remake of Wing, but the comparison is pretty superficial) or Turn A or Gundam X it fails commercially.

AGE isn't that 0079...yet. The concept of a 3 generation 100 year war is fairly creative for Gundam. However if it's like AGE1 = 0079, AGE2 = Zeta, AGE3 = CCA then yeahhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom