• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Turn A Gundam 49

Harry/Poe vs. Gym
fight was fucking BOSS! Not sure why he screamed out UNIVERSE! but whatever. Harry is so cool.

Turn A Gundam 50

Well. I think it's safe to say that was the best damn Gundam finale ever. The final battle had real meaning behind it, followed by this beautiful montage that actually delivered closure for the characters. Was this really a Tomino series? Goddamn, what a great show.

Mr. Pointy said:
Unicorn ep4 Trailer #2
DAT ANIMATION, DAT BRIGHT, DAT SHAMBLO
ngrade-kapool-y.jpg

distantmantra said:
Didn't SEED get "canceled" and relegated to some late night timeslot in North America?

edit:

It didn't get cancelled, it played through several times. Anime was on the way out with CN and Bandai decided to stop trying to merchandise the franchise after Seed toys didn't sell, si Destiny was not picked up or pushed in any way.

With 00 they tried a new push with bandai doing tie in books themselves and getting a more adult oriented slot on a different channel.

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I've been watching 0079 and I don't know why I haven't done it before now. I really like it. Maybe its just me but I don't feel that age has affected it one bit. And knowing that everything will continue on over the course of more series has me excited.

Kamen Rider Prism said:
Just wanted to pop in here and say that I've been watching 0079 and I don't know why I haven't done it before now. I really like it. Maybe its just me but I don't feel that age has affected it one bit. And knowing that everything will continue on over the course of more series has me excited.
For sure. I've been wanting to go through the entire UC universe more and more as of late, rewatch the greats I've already seen and fill in the gaps I haven't.

Hai guys, I've never seen a Gundam show before.

So who wants to catch me up?

:3

Kidding, but are any of these shows on Netflix? If not, where do I start?

Dreams-Visions said:

Nothing's on Instant Streaming. That's a hell of a question. It's a very diverse franchise. How familiar are you with anime, if so what shows are you a fan of? If not, what kind of movies/tv shows in general are you into? Hard sci-fi? Character-centric melodramas?

Sqorgar

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Gundam is a meta-series that is comprised of multiple different, sometimes unrelated series.

At the center of it is the Universal Century stuff, which takes place in the same timeline. It begins with the original Gundam tv series then goes through a bunch of tv series (sometimes summarized into movie trilogies), OVAs, and a movie. If you want the absolute best introduction to Gundam that money can afford, watch the three movies summarizing the original Gundam tv series. That series is also apparently available streaming on Crunchy Roll (first hit on Google).

Outside of the Universal Century stuff, there's a bunch of series that take place in sort of parallel universes. They are sort of remakes or reinterpretations of the Gundam mythos. You can watch any of them without any previous Gundam familiarity. Gundam Wing is probably the most popular one, followed by SEED, and then the first season of Gundam 00 (because the second season is shit). Personally, I prefer the UC timeline stuff. Just seems like they try harder when they do canon stuff.

The basic summary of the show (most of the time) is that it is a hard scifi show centering on the conflict between earth and a bunch of colonies orbiting earth. Despite the fact that one side (Zeon) dresses like Nazis, the show actually presents both sides evenly, and there's rarely bad guys who do bad things just because they like to feel bad. Most of the Gundam series basically just bounce back and forth between land and space battles until something really big and nasty shows up and is about to be dropped on Earth. If Tomino is directing, don't become too attached to any of the characters.

shadyspace said:
Nothing's on Instant Streaming. That's a hell of a question. It's a very diverse franchise. How familiar are you with anime, if so what shows are you a fan of? If not, what kind of movies/tv shows in general are you into? Hard sci-fi? Character-centric melodramas?
The entire Gundam Wing series (including Endless Waltz) can be streamed on crunchyroll.

Blader

Kamen Rider Prism said:

The animation is dated but you get used to it pretty quickly. It's still one of the best written/directed shows in the franchise.

Dreams-Visions said:

As always, start at the beginning with the original Mobile Suit Gundam (go with the movie trilogy if you watch stuff subbed; if you're a dub-only guy, go with the tv series).

Blader5489 said:
As always, start at the beginning with the original Mobile Suit Gundam (go with the movie trilogy if you watch stuff subbed; if you're a dub-only guy, go with the tv series).
Everyone should just watch the movie trilogy. No matter what. A lot of needles filler got cut from the tv series.

Blader

donkey show said:
Speaking of which, any more news on The Origin series?

The only thing that has been said about it since the announcement was that they haven't decided on the format. That was back in June, I think.

Lostconfused said:
Everyone should just watch the movie trilogy. No matter what. A lot of needles filler got cut from the tv series.
Needless filler is subjective. Look at what happened to Dragon Ball Kai.

shadyspace said:
Needless filler is subjective. Look at what happened to Dragon Ball Kai.

The movie trilogy is superior to the TV series though. The added plot elements and so much nonsense was cut out. MGS had some really awful filler.

Snaku

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
The movie trilogy is superior to the TV series though. The added plot elements and so much nonsense was cut out. MGS had some really awful filler.

It really is a much better experience, but the TV series is worth a watch. The novelization is also really cool, and a lot different.

Snaku said:
The novelization is also really cool, and a lot different.

The English translation is currently out of print. Sometimes it's crazy expensive to find a used copy, while it's pretty reasonable other times. Not sure why the price fluctuates so much.

Snaku

Banned
distantmantra said:
The English translation is currently out of print. Sometimes it's crazy expensive to find a used copy, while it's pretty reasonable other times. Not sure why the price fluctuates so much.

Wow, you're right. Glad I got mine when it was $10 on Amazon years ago.

Fine, I'll bit on the movie trilogy against my better judgment. Can anybody tell me the major differences between the movies and the proper series/are they available on blu-ray?

shadyspace said:
Fine, I'll bit on the movie trilogy against my better judgment. Can anybody tell me the major differences between the movies and the proper series/are they available on blu-ray?

No blu-ray. DVD only.

shadyspace said:
A lot of worthless toy trash got cut. You won't see the Zeon monster of the week, fewer ugly ass mobile suit designs, less nonsense mobile armor stupidity. No toy junk like hyper hammer or beam javeline or G-Armor or G-Bull or all that stupid nonsense. Its toy and merchendising trash that you don't need to know about.

Sure some fans will sperg about it, there are model kits. But you don't need to know about any of it until you really want to dive into the entirity of Gundam nonsense.

Although you might miss out on stuff like

91vXA.gif

Thanks for all the insight, everyone!

shadyspace said:
I'm open to everything so long as it does not suck. lol

Blader5489 said:
I'm watching the english dub of the original series. Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (43 episodes). Am I doing it wrong? Or do I need to find the movie trilogy still?

I've watched 3 episodes so far...and you can tell this show was well ahead of its time. Generally serious, no music lending to the tone, people getting murdered in droves, etc.

Lostconfused said:
alrightey then. what are the names of these 3 movies, exactly? that'll make my search for them much easier.

Who the hell would stay up until 4 AM to watch what is clearly Gundam's take on the Kids with Robots toy-driven shows?

...Well, it's not like I have class on mondays...

It DOES make me want to pick up the LBX game again, though. I got sick of the battle system almost immediately, but it's pretty addictive.

By "for a month" does that mean we won't be getting to see the whole series? And it'll really only be available streaming at 4am? You'd think they'd put it up on Crunchyroll the day after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom