• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
distantmantra said:
Crossbone is full of wacky and silly. I'm fine with it, but I wonder how many people who keep asking for it realize this.

The wacky shit was pretty much all in Skull Heart.

Design and concept wise much of it looked a bit out there, but it really wasn't that wacky

ninj4junpei said:
I've been craving a Gundam/mecha game to play lately, so I'm playing Journey to Jaburo since it is the only one I own. :(

Find yourself some Gundam VS Zeta to hold you off for Extreme VS this December. :)

Blader

BattleMonkey said:
The wacky shit was pretty much all in Skull Heart.

Design and concept wise much of it looked a bit out there, but it really wasn't that wacky

NEWTYPE MONKEYS

Seems like splitting hairs to me to separate Crossbone, Skull Heart, and Seven of Steel like that; they're all basically Crossbone.

Monkey Zakus are awesome, man.

ms-06ms.jpg

Blader5489 said:
NEWTYPE MONKEYS

Seems like splitting hairs to me to separate Crossbone, Skull Heart, and Seven of Steel like that; they're all basically Crossbone.

It was a one shot anthology book. The two actual main series with the actual storylines were pretty dead serious. It seems like judging the series based on that one book is a bit narrow minded.

Leezard

distantmantra said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NAza2JB3gQM/TnbigqatEnI/AAAAAAABGfo/JlpnODKfx4Q/s640/111.jpg[img]

Fake? Real? Guess we'll find out soon enough.[/QUOTE]
I like that the third one seems to be ZZ-bulky.

Dynedom

Looking at more modern Gundam designs makes me appreciate stuff like Master Gundam and Gundam Epyon even more.

Hell, I may have hated Gundam Wing but it probably had the most unique/fun Gundam designs around.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Dynedom said:
Looking at more modern Gundam designs makes me appreciate stuff like Master Gundam and Gundam Epyon even more.

Hell, I may have hated Gundam Wing but it probably had the most unique/fun Gundam designs around.

Mecha design is far and away, Wing's strength. Especially with Endless Waltz.

OO was off to a good start then fell off the wagon when second season rolled around.

This is sort of meh

RX-78-2 evolves to OO Raiser which evolves to ZZ but I think you need a thunderstone.

Jex

distantmantra said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NAza2JB3gQM/TnbigqatEnI/AAAAAAABGfo/JlpnODKfx4Q/s640/111.jp/img]

Fake? Real? Guess we'll find out soon enough.[/quote]
Sure looks lazy and boring. I guess that it's real then.

Divvy said:

OO was off to a good start then fell off the wagon when second season rolled around.

This is sort of meh

RX-78-2 evolves to OO Raiser which evolves to ZZ but I think you need a thunderstone.

More like OO Raiser/Zeta. It has a transformable Waverider mode.

Divvy said:

This is sort of meh

00 had mixed mecha designs since the beginning.

Let's not forget season one had shit like this:
hu55r.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think it's pretty funny that people shit on AGE and keep demanding Crossbone...when an animated Crossbone would look pretty damn similar to AGE.
Gundam age isn't even going be wacky or over-the-top silly; it's just going be incredibly dull and generic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
ninj4junpei said:
00 had mixed mecha designs since the beginning.

Let's not forget season one had shit like this:
hu55r.jpg

Yeah but we also got this sexy beast:

n7KdV.jpg

Besides the regular Tieren is quite well designed.

x1GkD.jpg

It's design is pretty accurate to China and Russia's military aesthetic.

Not to mention that Exia is one of the best designs for the main protagonist's starter gundam if not THE best.

_dementia said:
I remember reading Turn A Gundam was supposed to be coming out on Blu ray. What the hell happened to that? :(

Blu-ray? The movies are out on Blu-ray in Japan, but we're getting the series on DVD in North America. Bandai never said anything about a Blu-ray release.

B.K.

They're releasing Turn-A in four parts? That's pretty ridiculous. Especially since they aren't even dubbing it. Four sets is too much for such a half-assed release.

B.K. said:
They're releasing Turn-A in four parts? That's pretty ridiculous. Especially since they aren't even dubbing it. Four sets is too much for such a half-assed release.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

But yeah, 13 episode volumes probably isn't the best idea for Turn A.

B.K. said:

It's a 50 episode series....and even then it's going to be cheap.

Bandai needs to step up their Gundam game and do some Blurays!

EDIT: What ever happened to that thing they where doing a few years ago, releasing super-high quality DVD sets? I remember the Patlabor movies where one of the releases.

My experience with Gundam can be pretty much summed up with "has seen the first MSG compilation movie". I was looking forward to grabbing the new sets of the original series (I love me some 70s/early 80s mecha; have Star Blazers and SDF Macross of DVD), but after finding out it's missing the infamous Doan's Island episode I'm not so sure. Seems pretty iffy to be calling something a "complete collection" while knowingly excluding material.

BattleMonkey said:
It's a 50 episode series....and even then it's going to be cheap.

Being a 50 episode series, why not split it in to two 25 episode sets? You'd be more likely to g.et people buying the whole thing that way

HammerOfThor said:

They do, but Gundam sadly doesn't sell all that well so I don't think they care much.

As much as everyone here is shitting on it, I'm sure Gundam AGE will get a Blu-ray release. Hopefully it will be done like Star Driver (two 13-episode volumes with a $49.99 MSRP)

EDIT: What ever happened to that thing they where doing a few years ago, releasing super-high quality DVD sets? I remember the Patlabor movies where one of the releases.

That was the Honneamise line, which is long dead. They're still releasing Gundam UC on Blu-ray, which is day and date with Japan and pretty much what Honneamise was.

Box of Bunnies said:
Being a 50 episode series, why not split it in to two 25 episode sets? You'd be more likely to g.et people buying the whole thing that way

Why does it matter? It will just be two more expensive sets instead of 4. It's a good deal either way

HammerOfThor said:

Bandai was ready to abandon Gundam entirely in the US at one point, we are lucky to be getting what we get now. They aren't going to invest in Blu Rays. And the whole Unicorn thing is not really there doing, they are just basically distributing it.

Blader

Figures Turn A would be released here just as I'm almost finished with the series. :lol

(which, by the way, is fucking awesome. More to come after I finish off the last 3 eps.)

BattleMonkey said:
Why does it matter? It will just be two more expensive sets instead of 4. It's a good deal either way

Even if it costs roughly the same, breaking the show into two sets rather than four makes it seem like a smaller, more manageable investment, which makes it more likely to entice buyers.

Besides, I don't know if it's the same in the US, but Zeta Gundam is 50 eps. and was done as two collections here in Australia.

Box of Bunnies said:
Even if it costs roughly the same, breaking the show into two sets rather than four makes it seem like a smaller, more manageable investment, which makes it more likely to entice buyers.

Besides, I don't know if it's the same in the US, but Zeta Gundam is 50 eps. and was done as two collections here in Australia.

Zeta was done as one big box originally that was super expensive and Bandai took a big hit on that series financially. They repackaged a bunch of the sets into smaller set and release it across 5 smaller sets. Eventually much time later they put it out again in two sets under their bargain Legends line.

WillyFive

I have not gotten into Gundam yet (not because I didn't try), but I will say Gundam AGE looks interesting, and I want to try it out. The new art style is a good change of pace, since it makes the show seem less serious.

Willy105 said:
I have not gotten into Gundam yet (not because I didn't try), but I will say Gundam AGE looks interesting, and I want to try it out. The new art style is a good change of pace, since it makes the show seem less serious.

Most fans are pissed because it looks like its kiddy and afraid it wont be as serious. And theres always been non serious Gundam options with the SD stuff, gunpla builders, and even G Gundam which tickled a new style that was truly unique.

I don't think AGE will be silly or not a serious series, it just looks like they are going for a serious Gundam show with a childish art style.

BattleMonkey said:
Zeta was done as one big box originally that was super expensive and Bandai took a big hit on that series financially. They repackaged a bunch of the sets into smaller set and release it across 5 smaller sets. Eventually much time later they put it out again in two sets under their bargain Legends line.

I guess it's possible we just didn't get the show forever and then finally got the two Legends sets repackaged for our market. The leading local anime distributor, Madman, occasionally do their own thing, but also often just repackage things from the people they're licensing from.

All the same, I still think fewer sets would be more likely to attract a wider audience.
It doesn't really matter to me as long as the price is reasonable for the amount of content I get and the product is delivered fairly regularly; I'm currently six Dragon Boxes into DBZ.

Jex

HammerOfThor said:
The Honneamise line was a pretty terrible idea (charge far too much for awesome DVD's that three people will buy) and then watch them never sell.
Blader5489 said:
Figures Turn A would be released here just as I'm almost finished with the series. :lol

(which, by the way, is fucking awesome. More to come after I finish off the last 3 eps.)
I see you're finally getting there. 50 episode shows sure take awhile.

Blader

Jexhius said:
The Honneamise line was a pretty terrible idea (charge far too much for awesome DVD's that three people will buy) and then watch them never sell.

I see you're finally getting there. 50 episode shows sure take awhile.

I would've been done months ago (I hit episode 40 in July) but I was delayed by a lot of personal shit for a while. Now I have my priorities back in check. :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Bandai was ready to abandon Gundam entirely in the US at one point, we are lucky to be getting what we get now. They aren't going to invest in Blu Rays. And the whole Unicorn thing is not really there doing, they are just basically distributing it.

Really? I thought it was one of their top series and top animes in the US? Or did it just have that big of a downfall?

BattleMonkey said:
At best they would do a 2 part anime legends release, but a 50 ep rerelease is unlikely
Aw, that's a real shame. I love the show, but I was hoping they wouldn't try to nickel and dime fans this way.

I know I'll buy it anyway :(

HammerOfThor said:
Really? I thought it was one of their top series and top animes in the US? Or did it just have that big of a downfall?

Gundam was pretty big in the early 00's, particularly with Gundam Wing. SEED failed miserably here and outside of Wing, the franchise just never caught on in North America.

I'm grateful for anything Gundam they give us.

HammerOfThor said:

Gundam Wing was a huge hit but they failed at the time to be ready to follow it up with merchandising, lot of people took advantage and imported shit to sell while Bandai US tried to create new english packaged merch. After that they decided bringing over the original was a good idea, but it wasn't. Fans of Gundam Wing were like "wtf is this" to the original gundam and it got taken off the air (911 was the excuse at the time, but it made it easy for CN to not bother airing anymore). DVD sales for Gundam were never that good and anything old just wasn't selling. G Gundam did well but Bandai also shot themselves in the foot in the US by stuffing retailers with assortments of toys full of crap no one wanted, so stores stopped reordering and you had them stuck with tons of shitty character gundams.

Seed did ok for itself and newer gundam series did ok, but they lost money on pretty much all their older gundam releases and during my short time with Bandai game, the Bandai Ent folks had really expected it to be abandoned entirely with just newer TV series getting dvd releases and nothing else. Pushing by Bandai in Japan and such is the only thing that really kept Gundam coming out as they had hopes of it hitting big.

It seems whoever is in charge now, or however the licensing is being done by Sunrise, that its become worth it for them to release these cheaper releases, as before the license was just too "valuable" and expensive to go with a cheap sub only release. Guess with how shitty the industry has been, the Japanese are making it a bit easier.

distantmantra said:
Gundam was pretty big in the early 00's, particularly with Gundam Wing. SEED failed miserably here and outside of Wing, the franchise just never caught on in North America.

SEED did fairly well, the dvds sold ok and made money, and the show got ran several times through on CN even. It also got a merchandising push along with it but that failed and killed basically anymore attempts to really market Gundam toys/models here.

BattleMonkey said:
SEED did fairly well, the dvds sold ok and made money, and the show got ran several times through on CN even. It also got a merchandising push along with it but that failed and killed basically anymore attempts to really market Gundam toys/models here.

Didn't SEED get "canceled" and relegated to some late night timeslot in North America?

edit:

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED was the last Gundam series to be aired on Cartoon Network in the U.S., due to faltering ratings.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
I would've been done months ago (I hit episode 40 in July) but I was delayed by a lot of personal shit for a while. Now I have my priorities back in check. :lol
That sounds about right!

beat

BattleMonkey said:
After that they decided bringing over the original was a good idea, but it wasn't. Fans of Gundam Wing were like "wtf is this" to the original gundam and it got taken off the air (911 was the excuse at the time, but it made it easy for CN to not bother airing anymore).
If that Gundam: The Origin series is still happening, that might be Bandai's one last shot for the decade to bring something more like 0079 type Gundam to America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom