• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Dambrosi said:
Which leads me to believe that the whole SEED project has been abandoned, which thankfully means no SEED movie. We can all safely pretend that Destiny never happened, which is more than can be said for 00 Season 2, unfortunately (IT'S STILL SETSUNA'S COMA DREAM TO ME, DAMMIT!). But I digress.

Destiny really did derail everything Sunrise had hoped to do with SEED. I don't know if they've completely abandoned the project; Morosawa's cancer is certainly holding back the movie, but the fact that Sunrise hasn't tried to push the movie onto someone else shows that they aren't really in a rush for more SEED.

Bebpo said:
AGE isn't that 0079...yet. The concept of a 3 generation 100 year war is fairly creative for Gundam. However if it's like AGE1 = 0079, AGE2 = Zeta, AGE3 = CCA then yeahhhhh

Speaking of which, is Flit supposed to be the first generation in the story?

Dambrosi

Banned
Bebpo said:
I think they keep remaking 0079 because a lot of the times when they try something totally new and different like Gundam OO S1 (although you could say OO S1 was basically a remake of Wing, but the comparison is pretty superficial) or Turn A or Gundam X it fails commercially.

AGE isn't that 0079...yet. The concept of a 3 generation 100 year war is fairly creative for Gundam. However if it's like AGE1 = 0079, AGE2 = Zeta, AGE3 = Double Zeta then yeahhhhh
Fixed, and it's bloody obvious that this is what Sunrise is planning. AGE's OP gives you all the clues you need.

It's all part of the whole "creative bankruptcy" plague that's afflicting Japanese cultural media at the moment. Games, anime, music - with the odd exception, Japan's cultural exports have been very disappointing of late. Hopefully it's just a phase related to the bad economy, and things will improve eventually, but there's no sign of that yet.

Bebpo

Banned
How can it be ZZ when ZZ doesn't even have much of a plot to begin with? I mean I agree the mech design for AGE3 from the leak likes like fully armored ZZ, but I can't see the end of this show being a ripoff of ZZ's story.

Then again until we have a CHAR character on the opposing side, they can't really go in the CCA direction.

I think outside of the mech designs AGE will likely be fairly original once it gets going. Good original? Not counting on it, but I don't see it being Zeta-ish, ZZ-ish or CCA-ish. Especially not with its kiddy/PG focus since Zeta is a messed up story full of non-stop violence, anger and death.

Bebpo

Banned
What would be cool is if they pulled a V Gundam with AGE once it got to AGE2, but modern Sunrise (or even Japan's entertainment industry) does not have the balls to do something like that anymore.

I guess after all the fans flipping out with 00 season 1... They aren't even trying anymore.

At least the gundam looks retro and cool, but didn't they do that with the gundam 0 thing in 00?

_dementia said:
So once AGE is over that's it for Gundam?
That's not really what I meant (bcuz I know Bandai would never kill Gundam for business reasons), but more that it felt like a swan song with how fantastic it is and how much effort and money went into Unicorn.

I'm not going to be paying any attention to AGE, I think. I read the outline on the wiki, and it sounds pretty lame....
Rahxephon91 said:
I can't really care about Banagher and his attraction to Audry if it's basically all based on some psychic mental connection and nothing else. That's tired.
Maybe it's because he wants to bone her. :p Personally I think Banagher is the best main character we've gotten since Heero Yuy (and that's not saying much).

Blader

Bebpo said:
How can it be ZZ when ZZ doesn't even have much of a plot to begin with? I mean I agree the mech design for AGE3 from the leak likes like fully armored ZZ, but I can't see the end of this show being a ripoff of ZZ's story.

The AGE2/AGE3 "leak" was fake.

Etrian Oddity said:
That's not really what I meant (bcuz I know Bandai would never kill Gundam for business reasons), but more that it felt like a swan song with how fantastic it is and how much effort and money went into Unicorn.

I'm not going to be paying any attention to AGE, I think. I read the outline on the wiki, and it sounds pretty lame....

Maybe it's because he wants to bone her. :p Personally I think Banagher is the best main character we've gotten since Heero Yuy (and that's not saying much).
Penultimate wouldn't be fitting for a swan song then, as penultimate means "next-to-last" or in other words "before ultimate"

Coxy

They should really animate Gundam Senki 0081 imo, that was one of the best Gundam stories in ages, very reminiscent of stuff like 0080, 0083 and 08th ms team, would make a great little OVA

Is Wing particularly big in Japan? I always figured its popularity amongst western fans was mostly a situational thing, like Dragon Ball Z winding up considerably bigger amongst western fans compared to the original series.

MechaX

Rahxephon91 said:
They should just animate that Gundam Wing sequel manga. Probably would be huge.

G-UNIT? It wouldn't be a bad idea, although it would have been a better fit for the Western Markets back when they were regularly putting Hydra Gundam in their Gundam games.

I have also heard that the Gundam X sequel manga is pretty good too. But then again, I am still waiting on animated Crossbone.

MechaX said:
G-UNIT? It wouldn't be a bad idea, although it would have been a better fit for the Western Markets back when they were regularly putting Hydra Gundam in their Gundam games.

I have also heard that the Gundam X sequel manga is pretty good too. But then again, I am still waiting on animated Crossbone.
No this thing.

Spoilers.
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/New_Mobile_Report_Gundam_Wing:_Frozen_Teardrop

I mean it sounds pretty stupid, but eh whatever.

I started Zeta the other day. So far I'm liking it but I had read that there is a movie trilogy out there for it. If I watch the series, can I skip the movies? Do they change anything?

RGM79

I wouldn't recommend watching only the Zeta Gundam: A New Translation movies by themselves. They're not that great, compared to how well the MSG movie trilogy conveyed the message of the original series. I'd recommending watching the series first to get an idea of what the story was originally intended to be, then watching the movies to see what was changed, and to appreciate that you're rewatching Zeta in three short movies with newly animated action after the entire TV series, rather than the other way around which would seem longer.

Old animation is kept with the new animation. Sometimes, it can be a bit jarring to see a battle in the very nice, newly made animation be "interrupted" with a cut to a scene that was drawn in the '80s. They either should have made it with entirely new animation, or leave less of the old animation. I don't mind the old animation at all, it just doesn't flow well when they cut back and forth from old animation to new animation. It gets better with each movie, though. I'd say the first movie's got more old animation than new, movie 2 is about half-half, and movie 3 is pleasantly mainly new animation, and the old animation doesn't stick out as much.

Some important story elements are cut out for the sake of time. There's no Dakar story arc, arguably the most important talking scene in Zeta Gundam because Char basically outlines the AEUG's objectives, tells the Federation assembly what's wrong with the world, and reveals how the Titans really were. Another important story arc that was cut, deals with a character close to Kamille, and is a parallel to an event in the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but I won't mention specifics for spoilers.

I'd say that the movies change quite a lot, although the main theme and message remains the same. The ending is quite a surprise if one has seen the TV series first, although it is largely the same. I'd say watching both is the best way to see the story. I figure that they left the '80s animation as a nod to the older people who saw the show on TV and would probably go again to see it in theatres for the nostalgia.

Kamen Rider Prism said:
I started Zeta the other day. So far I'm liking it but I had read that there is a movie trilogy out there for it. If I watch the series, can I skip the movies? Do they change anything?
Yes. The movies are quite bad. I dont really remember a lot of the changes to be fair, but there are many. Not for the best though. Some to me ruin certain characters and the ending seems very abrupt.

PhiLonius said:
That's seems a little out there, but I'd watch it.

Yep. My first thought was ok wing was pretty bishounen right? Everyone loved Heero I guess so how are you...oh..oh...ooohhh : / I'd still watch though.

I guess I will stay with the TV series and watch the movies if I ever find the DVDs. So far I'm really enjoying it. The Titans version of the MK-2 looks really cool in black, but the group themselves come off as being jerks. I'm not too far in so I haven't seen much of the previous cast yet. Interested in seeing what they have been up to since the end of 0079.

MechaX said:
The backdrop for that is so bizarre that I would probably watch it out of curiosity more than anything else if it was ever animated.
Same. I don't think I've ever heard of a premise that sounded more like fanfiction that was actually sanctioned fiction. And that's saying a lot for an anime property.

Blader

shadyspace said:
Wow. They actually contrive a reason for Heero to remain the protagonist.

The whole thing is an exercise in contrivance, nothing in it makes any kind of sense.

Rahxephon91 said:
Yes. The movies are quite bad. I dont really remember a lot of the changes to be fair, but there are many. Not for the best though. Some to me ruin certain characters and the ending seems very abrupt.

I'd argue that the ending is even more abrupt in the tv series. I think if I hadn't known about Zeta for several years before actually watching it, I would not have understood that ending the first time around. :lol

shadyspace said:
Same. I don't think I've ever heard of a premise that sounded more like fanfiction that was actually sanctioned fiction. And that's saying a lot for an anime property.

Most Gundam mangas come off as fanfiction.

deduce

Bebpo said:
I think they keep remaking 0079 because a lot of the times when they try something totally new and different like Gundam OO S1 (although you could say OO S1 was basically a remake of Wing, but the comparison is pretty superficial) or Turn A or Gundam X it fails commercially.

AGE isn't that 0079...yet. The concept of a 3 generation 100 year war is fairly creative for Gundam. However if it's like AGE1 = 0079, AGE2 = Zeta, AGE3 = CCA then yeahhhhh
Wait, Gundam 00 S1 did poorly? Damn, I really liked that series.

I really like the art style of AGE but the main character is already getting on my nerves. I know I shouldn't judge after just 1 episode, but I think I'm going to pass on the series. I think I'm just going to hit up the back catalog of Gundam series until a new series comes out.

I've watched Gundam Wing, Seed, Destiny, 00 season 1 and 2. I really liked Wing and 00 S1, any recommendations on which previous Gundam series I should hit up first?

deduce said:

I really like the art style of AGE but the main character is already getting on my nerves. I know I shouldn't judge after just 1 episode, but I think I'm going to pass on the series. I think I'm just going to hit up the back catalog of Gundam series until a new series comes out.

I've watched Gundam Wing, Seed, Destiny, 00 season 1 and 2. I really liked Wing and 00 S1, any recommendations on which previous Gundam series I should hit up first?
Well, the nice thing about not liking the main character is that he won't be staying the main character. Also, sounds like you just really like Gundam Wing. 00 was pretty much Wing redux.

Blader

deduce said:

I don't think it did poorly, but a lot of people (evidently, the majority of people) complained about how un-Gundam-like it was. Probably didn't help that it took 12-13 episodes for something interesting to happen.

As for recommendations: watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam series; 08th MS Team; 0080: War in the Pocket; G Gundam; Turn A.

PhiLonius

deduce said:

The originals (0079, Zeta, and ZZ if you can get past the first 3rd) if you haven't already watched those.

G Gundam.

I hear Turn A is good but I haven't seen that one yet.

Gundam 00 didn't fail, it did well for itself. Thing was that SEED was a huge hit and everything after was kind of downhill ratings and merchandise sales wise. Still they were successful, probably more so than Turn A and Gundam X ended up being.

PhiLonius said:
The originals (0079, Zeta, and ZZ if you can get past the first 3rd) if you haven't already watched those.

G Gundam.

Yeah, after I watch through the 0079 movies this weekend (only ever seen the tv series) I'm going to start Turn A. Pretty excited. Maybe after that I'll watch Victory.

BattleMonkey said:
Gundam 00 didn't fail, it did well for itself. Thing was that SEED was a huge hit and everything after was kind of downhill ratings and merchandise sales wise. Still they were successful, probably more so than Turn A and Gundam X ended up being.
I hated SEED. Like, despised it.

shadyspace said:

Well I'm sure many share that opinion, but the show still was a huge success and basically revitalized the franchise when people where claiming it was dying after the poor showings of Gundam X and Turn A back to back, and the franchise took a break from TV.

BattleMonkey said:
Well I'm sure many share that opinion, but the show still was a huge success and basically revitalized the franchise when people where claiming it was dying after the poor showings of Gundam X and Turn A back to back, and the franchise took a break from TV.
Of course. I was just looking to start a dialogue on that show's perceived quality.

PhiLonius

shadyspace said:
Yeah, after I watch through the 0079 movies this weekend (only ever seen the tv series) I'm going to start Turn A. Pretty excited. Maybe after that I'll watch Victory.

I've been watching Victory for the first time and so far I can easily say its my least favorite in the series. I also find it hard to believe it fits into the UC timeline.

shadyspace said:

Actually kind of liked SEED.

Destiny on the other hand....

deduce

Blader5489 said:
I don't think it did poorly, but a lot of people (evidently, the majority of people) complained about how un-Gundam-like it was. Probably didn't help that it took 12-13 episodes for something interesting to happen.
That's probably why I liked the series so much. After Seed/Destiny, it was great to see these Gundams that while more powerful that mobile suits from other countries, weren't godlike weapons. Favorite memory of 00 was the Broken Wings episode where the Gundam meisters were falling one by one in the desert.

PhiLonius said:

G Gundam.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to track down those DVDs or if possible add them to my DVD queue. Have they been released on Blu-ray?

Blader

I remember seeing on /m/ a list of how the Gundam shows were ranked in terms of ratings. Just remembering off the top of my head, it looked something like:

Zeta > SEED > ZZ > Destiny > 0079 > Wing > 00 S1 > 00 S2 > G > Turn A > Victory > X

PhiLonius said:
I've been watching Victory for the first time and so far I can easily say its my least favorite in the series. I also find it hard to believe it fits into the UC timeline.
Shit, that's too bad. Isn't it the height of Tomino's "Kill 'Em All" period? I like super violent and crazy. I've always pictured Victory as Neon Genesis Gundam from its description.

shadyspace said:
Shit, that's too bad. Isn't it the height of Tomino's "Kill 'Em All" period? I like super violent and crazy. I've always pictured Victory as Neon Genesis Gundam from its description.

Victory was awesome. The mecha designs are it's often most hated aspects, as well as the villains they created instead of digging out Zeon remnants for the 100th time.

Blader

shadyspace said:

I think that's how most people think of when they hear about Victory. But it's really just a really really poorly written show. It is violent and crazy, but to the degree that it just feels pointless; characters are killed off before you even learn their names.

Victory and Turn A are basically the same thing. Turn A gets a free pass by fans for being so different and unlike other Gundam for it's fluffyness and less violent story. They both suffer from Tominos awful characters who do shit at random and writing. Victory is basically the polar opposite of Turn A with it's ultra violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom