• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
nXwpi.jpg

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009.jpg

Gundam AGE 7-8

Flit was really preachy in 7 and it didn't help with the ol family feud stubborn people involved and Vargas bringing the kids along with him was just wtf. Also
why was the Gundam holding its right arm when it got damaged? Was it about to come off or was that a normal Gundam reaction
? Anyway G-Exes made ep. 8 worth watching even though it was late.

Gundam AGE 7-8

Flit was really preachy in 7 and it didn't help with the ol family feud stubborn people involved and Vargas bringing the kids along with him was just wtf. Also
why was the Gundam holding its right arm when it got damaged? Was it about to come off or was that a normal Gundam reaction
? Anyway G-Exes made ep. 8 worth watching even though it was late.

G-Exes trumps the Titus in its debut episode.

Can see why the civil war in AGE has been going on forever. The guns don't do jack shit and people can't hit a robot the size of a building that is standing still less than 50 meters away.

1stStrike

Banned
I gotta say, the new addons for the gundam in Age are pretty much not impressive. "Hey look, I can punch things really hard, and make beam sabers come out of my knees!"

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, AGE has become shit extremely fast after a decent opener. It's just another stupid Hino product at this point with awful mech designs and kiddy everything.

Hope it bombs so they never do this again. Between Unicorn being whiny angst trash outside the beautiful animation, and AGE being complete trash in every aspect, it's depressing to be a Gundam fan these days. They need to make a new series asap that doesn't suck.

?

I thought they were in movie 2, and it was movie 3 they got cut from (thank god).

Ah, yeah it's been a while. I meant the snow battle which is the major psycho gundam scene in zeta
where four dies
was removed.

I gotta say, the new addons for the gundam in Age are pretty much not impressive. "Hey look, I can punch things really hard, and make beam sabers come out of my knees!"
And then Wolf in the G-Exes just slashes that same UE type in one hit without all the mecha Zangief shenanigans.

Bolt Gundam will always be the best beefy Gundam.

These last 3 eps of AGE have been awful. First couple eps were ok but this is just sad. Hopefully it improves greatly
Yeah I was ok with the first few episodes, but it's just been very boring. It dosent feel like anything is happening. The main personal drama has been this:

Girl: Are you going to pilot the Gundam?

Flit: I'm going to so I can protect.

Girl: (to herself) No.

And that's it and it basicly just repeats itself every episode. So boring.

The recent colony epsiodes have just had some boring mech battles.

Blader

Unicorn being whiny angst trash outside the beautiful animation

Don't you love Zeta? That's whiny angst trash without beautiful animation

Unicorn is, by a large margin, better written and less angsty than most Gundam stories

Bebpo said:
Ah, yeah it's been a while. I meant the snow battle which is the major psycho gundam scene in zeta
where four dies
was removed.

How is less Four not an improvement? :p

Bebpo

Banned
Don't you love Zeta? That's whiny angst trash without beautiful animation

Unicorn is, by a large margin, better written and less angsty than most Gundam stories

Disagree completely. Unicorn looks great and has good mech designs, but otherwise it's just a really weak fanservice jerkoff playing on UC nostalgia. All the 80/90s OAVs like 08th Team, 0080, 0083 were much better (ok, maybe not 0083; in fact 0083 is eerily similar to Unicorn. It has badass mechs with great animation and terrible characters). In comparison Zeta is a fucking epic story and has the best mech designs in the franchise.

Zapages

Disagree completely. Unicorn looks great and has good mech designs, but otherwise it's just a really weak fanservice jerkoff playing on UC nostalgia. All the 80/90s OAVs like 08th Team, 0080, 0083 were much better (ok, maybe not 0083; in fact 0083 is eerily similar to Unicorn. It has badass mechs with great animation and terrible characters). In comparison Zeta is a fucking epic story and has the best mech designs in the franchise.

Unicorn started strong... But the last episode although awesome minus DBZ in robot suits incident in terms of the battle was kind of hard to follow storywise.

Anyway Zeta is just so awesome storywise... Its angst with a reason...

Sadly, every proper noun in Zeta is ridiculous and takes several re-readings before one can pronounce or repeat it. Seriously, look at the names of characters and mecha in that series, it's just a bunch of ludicrous combinations of four or five consonants together and like two vowels per word.

::edit:: Also, the Kshatriya and Sinanju are some of the most visually-impressive mobile suit designs of all time.

Jomjom

Banned
Yeah, AGE has become shit extremely fast after a decent opener. It's just another stupid Hino product at this point with awful mech designs and kiddy everything.

Hope it bombs so they never do this again. Between Unicorn being whiny angst trash outside the beautiful animation, and AGE being complete trash in every aspect, it's depressing to be a Gundam fan these days. They need to make a new series asap that doesn't suck.

I'm hoping they will do another UC series. I want either Beltochika's Children (yes it would overwrite Char's Counterattack, but so what! BC is better than CC!) or I want a series for the novel Hathaway's Flash. Hathaway's Flash is probably one of the most adult Gundam stories and exactly what the Gundam series needs after the AGE crap. I mean Capt. Noa is responsible for catching his own son and getting him executed! That's way more badass than the Amuro slap.

Jex

Zeta is a fairly bad show, I'm afraid. It's got bad, unlikeable characters doing irrational things, a nonsense storyline with terrible writing and Tomino-level pacing. It's certainly better than 0083 Stardust Memory in some respects, but then again, it is extremely long.

Then again, are there that many full length Gundam shows that are legitimately great? The original series isn't good, there's not much to be said about ZZ Gundam, Wing isn't good, 00 Season 1 is average while it's sequel is disaster.

I suppose G Gundam is geuinely good (with some pacing problems) and ∀ Gundam is excellent.
Hey, hey! That's Fuunsaiki, not just some horse.

That's right, it's a legitimate Gundam pilot.

Blader

ZETA IS STILL WHINY TEEN ANGST. Characters don't speak to each without yelling at or slapping one another (or both). Sensible dialogue in that show is such a rarity. The relationships make no sense, especially Kamille's. I will always prefer the Zeta moves to the tv series simply for getting rid of that godawful Rosamia arc.

Re: Unicorn, yeah Banagher is pretty whiny, even when he's manning up. But what I like about the writing in the Unicorn is that it's a story about the Universal Century. One of my biggest complaints with Tomino is that he's a great worldbuilder, but ignores his own settings as much as possible in favor of the same WHINY TEEN ANGST DRAMA over and over. Unicorn has its share of teen drama (which, btw, only really pertains to Banagher and now Riddhe; everyone else, even the teens, are all pretty mature and reasonable, e.g. Audrey or Marida) but it actually explores several themes and plot elements that have been running throughout the UC stories but have never really been delved into -- like the constant resurgences of Zeon, the perception of Newtypes (next stage of evolution vs. ace pilots), shooting down the romanticized views of Zeon...hell, it even goes into why our main antagonist has to be a masked Char lookalike. As long as Gundam has to indulge in audience-friendly tropes, I'd like for the show to say something interesting about those tropes, which Unicorn has been doing.

Putting the writing aside, the direction in Unicorn has been fucking great. It actually feels cinematic, with big poignant moments given some actual dramatic weight, which Tomino never pulled off, even in his better works like Turn A.

:lol, how did I get off on this Zeta bashing tangent? Let's just agree that both Zeta and Unicorn have amazing soundtracks.

Jomjom

Banned
Or if they want to do another series set in the future of the UC timeline I want to see Gaia Gear. I love the mech designs in that. But I guess there's already that G-Reko thing.

Whatever they do, I just want something that is NOT G-Saviour.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They really should have just turned Gunpla Builders into a show instead of AGE. That OAV was way better than AGE has been. They could have gone full on G Gundam with Gunpla Builders. Plus they would have been able to sell a shitton of kits with it.

They really should have just turned Gunpla Builders into a show instead of AGE. That OAV was way better than AGE has been. They could have gone full on G Gundam with Gunpla Builders. Plus they would have been able to sell a shitton of kits with it.

They made it a manga series instead.

isny

napkin dispenser
Amazon.co.uk had Gundam Wing Anime Legends Volume 1 back in stock over the weekend. It seems to be OOS again, but one seller has a copy left for the same price Amazon was selling it for. It may also come back in stock again, so you may as well sign up to be notified.

Volume 1 has been OOS on their site for over a year, as it's discontinued, so I was surprised when they emailed me and told me it was back in stock. (Volume 2 seems to still be available on most UK entertainment retailer websites including Amazon)

I've confirmed with Beeze, the UK distributor, and the Anime Legend sets they sell in the UK are the same HD remastered version that was sold as a numbered limited edition with art book in the UK and in Japan (the one that I used to have, and have posted a photo of in this thread before).

I sold my LE set for $150 recently to get some extra cash for my trip to Japan, but was thrilled to pick these up at such a cheap price. ($50ish total) Picking these sets up now while they're still available is a no brainer for GW fans, as who knows when we'll see the Blu release over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom