• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. He tries to kamikaze by shooting his own reactor to take out the Jestas, but one of them flies in too quickly and slices off the Zaku's arm before Kirks can pull the trigger.
And to answer his other part of the question,
all Zeon mobile suits are powered by nuclear reactors. That's why you see so many Federation pilots aim for the cockpit, or disabling the mobile suit.

xemumanic

And to answer his other part of the question,
all Zeon mobile suits are powered by nuclear reactors. That's why you see so many Federation pilots aim for the cockpit, or disabling the mobile suit.

What? I thought
they were all the same, some kind of fusion reactor. The Zeon suits had (I guess traditional) nuclear reactors?

What? I thought
they were all the same, some kind of fusion reactor. The Zeon suits had (I guess traditional) nuclear reactors?
The Minovsky fusion reactor itself is in fact a "clean" nuclear reactor. Meaning it doesn't emit cause radiation poisoning, but it still sets off a massive explosion when destabilized, such as when it's hit by ordinance. Some of the explosions look small (like the Jegans the Kshatriya destroys early in ep1), but you saw what happens to an urban environment when the reactor explodes (see: Banagher's colony after the ReZEL explodes in ep1).

purg3

slept with Malkin
looking to get back into Gundam, but not sure where to start. The only series I've seen are Wing and Seed (not Destiny though). Looking at Amazon, it seems like most of the older series are available in complete sets now. There's so many different series, it's almost overwhelming. Recommendations / advice, please?

If you have an interest in the Universal Century original stuff, I'd go with the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. It's actually officially free to watch on YouTube.

purg3

slept with Malkin
If you have an interest in the Universal Century original stuff, I'd go with the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. It's actually officially free to watch on YouTube.

OK, yeah I guess I should probably start with the beginning. After that, I'm assuming Zeta would be next?

The first Crossbone Gundam: Ghost manga chapter has been released.

Blind Tobia like a boss. Again, best protagonist in all of Gundam.

OK, yeah I guess I should probably start with the beginning. After that, I'm assuming Zeta would be next?

Yeah the Zeta TV series would be next.

The movies are probably the best introduction to UC Gundam. The pace is kind of relentless and the characters don't get as much development as they should. But there is only so much you can cram into three movies and things are happening all the time.

xemumanic

The Minovsky fusion reactor itself is in fact a "clean" nuclear reactor. Meaning it doesn't emit cause radiation poisoning, but it still sets off a massive explosion when destabilized, such as when it's hit by ordinance. Some of the explosions look small (like the Jegans the Kshatriya destroys early in ep1), but you saw what happens to an urban environment when the reactor explodes (see: Banagher's colony after the ReZEL explodes in ep1).

This is how I always understood it to be. But it comes off as if you're implying that
the Zeon suits' reactors were somehow different from Federation suits, when as far as I knew, they aren't.
And that's what confused me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I've really taken an interest in Gundam lately, hilariously enough, after watching the latest Gintama Arc which parodied Gundam (including a cameo from Amuro Ray's voice actor), and so I started watching the show.

All I've really watched in the past was, like, 1 or two episodes of Gundam Wing, and all of G Gundam basically, on Toonami, so I'm a Gundam newb. Decided to watch Turn A first because, well, I heard it was really good and so far I'm loving it. The setting, the music, the characters, and especially the direction. I love how real the dialogue seems, with the characters speaking over one another, akward pauses, etc.

I'm also watching Wing as well, to finally finish it since I watched some while a child, switching back and forth between the two. Wing's alright...I've read criticism about it being repetitive and boring, and I kind of agree. Characters are alright, even if they are "pretty boys", and I like the mecha designs, but so far Turn A has beat it.

I also picked up DW Gundam 3, and it's fun as well. Decided to start with Banagher Links in Story Mode since he's pretty cool, but I can't wait to unlock Domon and Loran who I'm more familiar with.

1stStrike

Banned
So, I've really taken an interest in Gundam lately, hilariously enough, after watching the latest Gintama Arc which parodied Gundam (including a cameo from Amuro Ray's voice actor), and so I started watching the show.

All I've really watched in the past was, like, 1 or two episodes of Gundam Wing, and all of G Gundam basically, on Toonami, so I'm a Gundam newb. Decided to watch Turn A first because, well, I heard it was really good and so far I'm loving it. The setting, the music, the characters, and especially the direction. I love how real the dialogue seems, with the characters speaking over one another, akward pauses, etc.

I'm also watching Wing as well, to finally finish it since I watched some while a child, switching back and forth between the two. Wing's alright...I've read criticism about it being repetitive and boring, and I kind of agree. Characters are alright, even if they are "pretty boys", and I like the mecha designs, but so far Turn A has beat it.

I also picked up DW Gundam 3, and it's fun as well. Decided to start with Banagher Links in Story Mode since he's pretty cool, but I can't wait to unlock Domon and Loran who I'm more familiar with.

Watch Mobile Suit Gundam and then Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack. If you don't watch these 3 you haven't experienced gundam, IMO.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I'm definitely planning to watch the original "trilogy" once I finish A and Wing. Just thought it'd be fun to jump into the alternate universe series first before moving on to the main course.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well, seems like 00 and Wing Zero had a lovechild.

4Vv1L.jpg

Divvy

I don't get why he doesn't just use the ninja limbs all the time, it's clearly better than the other two. Just give him a gun to go with it.

PhiLonius

I don't get why he doesn't just use the ninja limbs all the time, it's clearly better than the other two. Just give him a gun to go with it.

There must be some weakness to it or else this war wouldn't go on to last three generations.

Notice how it took the AGE Builder half an episode to put that out, but the Titus suit was damn near instant?

Divvy

Looks like something out of Gurren Lagann.

Hey I thought it had potential in the first couple of episodes but it really has not lived up to it. Each episode is so slow and nothing really happens with the exception of the last one. The animation is also just generally terrible. The designs have also been pretty meh so far as well.

EDIT: Dammit you edited. :mad:

Hey I thought it had potential in the first couple of episodes but it really has not lived up to it. Each episode is so slow and nothing really happens with the exception of the last one. The animation is also just generally terrible. The designs have also been pretty meh so far as well.

EDIT: Dammit you edited. :mad:

Most Gundams have suffered the fate of "nothing happens" at some point. For the most point I don't see the criticism as being anything new with the IP. Some of the more goofy character designs are really out of place and drive me insane, though.

I did because you weren't quoting me when I thought you did. My opinion on it still stands, though. At least you're watching AGE before hating on it, I see people all over the web just "lozomgkiddy-ing" it without even watching the show. ;-)

I thought it was very meh, but not horrible, but then the show quickly turned to crap, so my hopes for AGE aren't really high. It hasn't been able to go past "meh level" for me

Divvy

Most Gundams have suffered the fate of "nothing happens" at some point. For the most point I don't see the criticism as being anything new with the IP. Some of the more goofy character designs are really out of place and drive me insane, though.

I did because you weren't quoting me when I thought you did. My opinion on it still stands, though. At least you're watching AGE before hating on it, I see people all over the web just "lozomgkiddy-ing" it without even watching the show. ;-)

Hey, I always want gundam to be good. But AGE's plot revolves around this big immediate threat to all of mankind, whereas most other plots have started with basically bickering between two factions. This is why I think AGE needs to be a LOT faster paced. I mean, you have this alien race that has come and blown up several colonies and killed god knows how many people in the span of 10 years? But no one really seems to give a shit aside from Grodek.

Hey, I always want gundam to be good. But AGE's plot revolves around this big immediate threat to all of mankind, whereas most other plots have started with basically bickering between two factions. This is why I think AGE needs to be a LOT faster paced. I mean, you have this alien race that has come and blown up several colonies and killed god knows how many people in the span of 10 years? But no one really seems to give a shit aside from Grodek.

Your criticisms are fine and they're some of the same ones I have with the show (I tend to watch Gundam and accept it for what it is, kids in giant robots fighting. I'm not looking for anything more than that). I'm talking about the people going on incessently about "it's kiddy" when Gundam has always been "kiddy" to some extent.

I wonder if the reason that no one has done shit about the UE has something do with those rumors that were floating around previously?

PhiLonius

Your criticisms are fine and they're some of the same ones I have with the show (I tend to watch Gundam and accept it for what it is, kids in giant robots fighting. I'm not looking for anything more than that). I'm talking about the people going on incessently about "it's kiddy" when Gundam has always been "kiddy" to some extent.

I wonder if the reason that no one has done shit has something do with those rumors that were floating around previously?

Rumors?

Divvy

I actually really liked those rumors, it's a pretty fresh plot (for gundam anyways). But I don't see why that would cause the federation to do like, nothing. Or why that arms ban is still in place.

Watch Da Birdie

So I'm about 10 episodes into Turn A

I'm confused about who knows Loran is Laura, who knows Loran is from the Moonrace, etc. Like, at the beginning, Poe took Loran to see Harry and the rest of the army, and then a few episodes later she fought him and one scene showed her clearly talking to Loran in the cockpit, yet she never seemed to react to that...I dunno, it's hard to keep track of who knows which secrets.

That being said, I'm still loving the show. The Diana and Kihel switching places sub-plot is pretty silly though, that won't turn out well.

Flit's proportions in that drawing are terrible. Looks much better in that promo pic from last week.

7.jpg

Sounds like the timejump is coming in January...
massive deaths incoming?

Bebpo

Banned
It's cool. I'm watching V Gundam side by side with AGE, so the horrible death in V Gundam makes up for the non-death I get each week in AGE.

PhiLonius

It's cool. I'm watching V Gundam side by side with AGE, so the horrible death in V Gundam makes up for the non-death I get each week in AGE.

Truth. Enough death in that show for several series and OVAs.

intends to make it a "thoroughly dark" story that "even fans of [the first Gundam anime's] Universal Century timeline can be satisified with."

Grodek slap confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom