• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Gundam Wing is kind of weird when it comes to pace though...a lot of plots are resolved quickly in the episode they first pop up in, which is quite a change after coming off of Turn A where things are allowed quite awhile to develop and many plot points stretch out through a few episodes...

Wing's pretty much the stupid Will Game subplot every episode, basically, in terms of how fast it goes through plot points

I don't get the complaint about not understanding who the bad guys are, though. At least by episode 15,
It's the OZ after they use Heero to kill the peace guy of the Earth Alliance and start a coup d'etat

I do like the Gundams though, they have pretty cool designs. Love the Zodiac theme the bad guys have going on as well.

I haven't watched Seed or 00 ("I AM GUNDAM!"), so I can't compare them to Wing though.

I think I might check out 00 after I watch the Original and Zeta after finishing Wing because it's on Crunchyroll.

I follow Gundam rule of thought, which is anyone who wears a Mask is evil or is just misguided to become good (Endless Waltz)
Except perhaps in Turn A
Since Harry, the resident Char clone (although apparently Corin Nander is supposed to be one as well, in a tongue-and-cheek sense, is a good guy the whole way through and never in the "questionable" way outside of simply being on the wrong side of the Earthrace

Hero

I really disagree. 00 season 2 was magic at work. I feel Wing was pretty solid aside from the plot importance that the zero system was made into

00 season 2 was pure, utter shit. You are probably one of less than a dozen GAFers that enjoyed that show.

Anything ballsy they did in season 1 wound up being all for naught. Like Lockon dying to take out Ali. Oh snap, Ali is still alive. Oh snap, Lockon has a twin brother that he's never mentioned before who looks, talks and acts like him and he's going to keep the same codename as well.

Yea, the original announcements for the blu ray release that I find online note that Bandai Ent is distributing for Bandai Visual so I dunno.

Very few stores even carried the Gundam UC blu-rays (Amazon marketplace, Right Stuf, Bandai Store). I really hope we get the final two volumes here somehow.

Hey, Funimation, you know what to do.

00 season 2 was pure, utter shit. You are probably one of less than a dozen GAFers that enjoyed that show.

Anything ballsy they did in season 1 wound up being all for naught. Like Lockon dying to take out Ali. Oh snap, Ali is still alive. Oh snap, Lockon has a twin brother that he's never mentioned before who looks, talks and acts like him and he's going to keep the same codename as well.

Some one didn't pay attention watching 00.

I've been doing that for 12 years now. No reason to stop.
ibz2Gc4zE52yJx.gif

squall23

For me, SEED is acceptable because Lowe Gear exists. Without him, I probably would've hated SEED and Destiny. Well, I hate Destiny but I hate it less because of Lowe Gear's greatness.

Cheerilee

Well to each their own I guess. I tried rewatching Wing recently and the plot barely makes any sense. They swap organizations with each other so often that I forget which one's evil or not.

In Gundam Wing, every side is the bad guys, because every organization contains both good and bad people (and some people are both good and bad). The Gundam pilots are the closest thing to good guys, because they're supposed to be innocent youth, and because as the situations change they drop their initial bad guy mission of terrorism and try to do the right thing, assuming they can ever figure out what the right thing to do is, and assuming the situation doesn't change again first.

Treize is the ultimate bad guy, despite his occasional position as a good guy, because he
apparently orchestrated everything in order to trigger a war to end all wars, although he did it for the sake of peace
. Yes, this show makes no sense.

Gundam Seed >> Gundam Wing >>>>> Gundam Seed Destiny

Dambrosi

Banned
I really disagree. 00 season 2 was magic at work. I feel Wing was pretty solid aside from the plot importance that the zero system was made into

What kind of magic? Vile, black necromantic witchcraft spawned from Hades' left bollock?

Some one didn't pay attention watching 00.

Oh, it's you again. Didn't you get enough lulz trolling /m/ with this "argument" while the show was running?

Yeah, I bet you both liked the movie, too. Wretched piece of shit.

Wing was bad? Granted I was an innocent youth myself when I saw it.

It's not really any worse than other Gundam series, which generally range from average to bad. Enjoyed it much more than 00 S2 and Destiny.

And probably add AGE to that with how meh it's been in every aspect so far.

andymcc

Banned
This made me think, how many here started watching Gundam with Wing? I know I did.

the first gundam-related series i ever watched was the first movie trilogy.

i had them on VHS, they were the first US Bandai Ent. releases. they came in these really nice hard-plastic clamshells. they were pretty pricey (for a 15 year old, at least).

Sqorgar

Banned
This made me think, how many here started watching Gundam with Wing? I know I did.
I can't remember whether it was Wing or the 0079 movies - they both happened at roughly the same time. I used to hate mecha shows. Gundam changed that, and now I find contemporary anime lacking in comparison (even the newer Gundam shows - the cliff 00 jumped off was tragic).

So, now that Turn A is canceled, is there a way I can view it fansubbed somewhere? I've never really done the fansub thing before, but now that I've accepted that it will never be released in the US, there's not really any other alternative.

Yep mine too. I used to rep a Gundam Wing shirt back in 5th grade. :D I got called a fag by an asshole, though. :(
I can't remember whether it was Wing or the 0079 movies - they both happened at roughly the same time. I used to hate mecha shows. Gundam changed that, and now I find contemporary anime lacking in comparison (even the newer Gundam shows - the cliff 00 jumped off was tragic).

So, now that Turn A is canceled, is there a way I can view it fansubbed somewhere? I've never really done the fansub thing before, but now that I've accepted that it will never be released in the US, there's not really any other alternative.
*wink*

Zapages

same here... Toonami Gundam Wing Intro was cool. Does anyone remember IGN covered Gundam and had the second intro to Gundam 0083: Men of Destiny in quicktime. I downloaded and enjoyed it so much. Good memories and time. :)

Dambrosi

Banned

Me, too. I'm sure the majority of the thread will say so.

It being most Westerners' First Gundam means that we'll never quite be able to be objective about it. I mean, it is (objectively) pretty bad, but I still have a soft spot for it, deep down.

Compare that with AGE, which is (objectively, and only so far) better than Wing, but nothing about it stands out from the norm. Even 00 had the Exia, for cryin' out loud.

And I think we can all agree that the music in Wing was epic and awesome. Unlike AGE or 00.

Jex

I actually started with Gundam 00, you know, just to be different.

That's probably because they didn't have Gundam on TV when I was growing up.

Me, too. I'm sure the majority of the thread will say so.

It being most Westerners' First Gundam means that we'll never quite be able to be objective about it. I mean, it is (objectively) pretty bad, but I still have a soft spot for it, deep down.

Compare that with AGE, which is (objectively, and only so far) better than Wing, but nothing about it stands out from the norm. Even 00 had the Exia, for cryin' out loud.

And I think we can all agree that the music in Wing was epic and awesome. Unlike AGE or 00.
I haven't watched AGE, but I find that very hard to believe.

NEO0MJ

One thing it does right in my opinion is the Gundam design. Probably the best among all team based series.

What the hell? The shoulder is painted red on the wrong side of the Scopedog.

Edit: Also that post/article is more of a lets bitch about people bitching about how bad AGE is.

Hint: Gundam AGE is still a bad show no matter how you look at it.

The third volume of Gundam UC's DVD re-release, which would have comprised episodes five and six has been cancelled; the fifth episode is not scheduled for release in Japan until May. However, this news does not affect the availability of imported Japanese Blu-rays of the series through amazon.jp, which have included English audio and subtitles produced by Sunrise directly.

Sucks, but at least there is a way to still watch them without modding a DVD player like we had to back in the day.

Also, sounds like Gundam UC 5 and 6 will be import only based on the interview with Iyadoni.

Dammit...at least they're still obtainable. Really sucks too that Turn A isn't going to make it. Bandai sounded pretty positive at their last Otakon panel but obviously a lot has changed since.

On a side note, I couldn't resist picking up the greatest insult to Zakus of all time since it was dirt cheap (wonder why lol):

03af5fe3-1.jpg

The HCM Meer Campbell Zaku Warrior from Destiny :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, I just remember something that made Turn A's ending sadder...

Dianna, in one of the later episodes, mentions to Kihel that due to the fact she's been alive for hundreds of years, she's apparently rapidly accelerating and mentions wanting to live peacefully on earth to see her death...I guess Loran's taking care of her at the end because she's beginning to die then, as opposed to a romantic relationship (albeit a bit of a celibate one) like I first thought... :(

Also, I totally skipped out on Wing when it aired on Toonami...I was introduced by G Gundam, but only just recently (after seeing the Renho Gintama Arc, oddly enough) did I start seriously watching the series and becoming a fan.

Is 00 that bad though? I like the characters from it in 00, Setsuna seems cool, and I was looking forward to checking it out after I watched the UC series.

The first season of 00 is really good. The second one is not nearly as good and befalls many tropes and cliches, but it's not horrendous or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom