• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
No, season 2 was horribad.

1) KILL OFF MAIN CHARACTER IN DRAMATIC FASHION

2) Replace him with never before mentioned twin that looks and sounds exactly like him.

What. the. hell.

This is like crap even by soap opera standards

2) Replace him with never before mentioned twin that looks and sounds exactly like him.

What. the. hell.

Target audience unfortunately is into the soap opera stuff. I didn't like that season 2 was pushing the relationship stuff either.

Sqorgar

Banned
Is 00 that bad though? I like the characters from it in 00, Setsuna seems cool, and I was looking forward to checking it out after I watched the UC series.
The first season is very good. There's a particularly epic battle near the end of the first season that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

The second season, it takes a dive off of quality, straight into the dumpster of every single anime cliche known to man. Multiple false endings, shonen battles where characters are knocked out just long enough for the current battle to end so they can swoop in at the last second, a metaphysical void of space and time where people reflect and share empty emotional catharsis. It's terrible. Everything that was good about the first season, the second took a vengeful crap on.

And then, there's the movie...

Season 2 of 00 is terrible.

Like every battle is

Innovators:"We are so awesome"

their mobile suit gets beat, but somehow they escape

Innovators: "Till next time"!

And then I just think most of the plot lines resolved in pretty unsatisfactory ways.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmm...that's unfortunate. But I'm glad to hear at least half of the show is cool, lol.

What about Victory and X? I don't hear a lot about those compared to the other series, how would you rank them? I'll probably end up watching those last.

Bebpo

Banned
X is cool but it has a lot of filler and the ending is rushed because the show was going to get cancelled so they had to rewrite the final 20eps into 7eps.

The intro is good, a few of the arcs are cool, the main gundam and its upgrades are great looking and powerful. The lead pilot is awesome as is the ship captain. The bad guys could be worse. And the finale is kind of neat. Has some good OPs/EDs as well.

Well worth a watch if you like gundam.

Season 2 of 00 is terrible.

Like every battle is

Innovators:"We are so awesome"

their mobile suit gets beat, but somehow they escape

Innovators: "Till next time"!

And then I just think most of the plot lines resolved in pretty unsatisfactory ways.
The escape pod usage got real tiresome quickly.

PhiLonius

What. the. hell.

If I remember correctly, the twin was mentioned/had a very, very brief appearance in S1.

Doesn't stop it from being stupid though.

Hmm...that's unfortunate. But I'm glad to hear at least half of the show is cool, lol.

What about Victory and X? I don't hear a lot about those compared to the other series, how would you rank them? I'll probably end up watching those last.

Haven't watched X yet, but Victory isn't very good. I'd say it's easily my least favorite.

The escape pod usage got real tiresome quickly.

Yes it did.

And yeah X is good. It's not the best Gundam and don't expect anything highbrow. It's just a fun Gundam show. Fun characters, likeable if not simple villains, and a easy to follow plot. It's just a real easy going show that is typical Gundam. It's a UC Gundam tv show with some Wing stylings and little Tomimo crazyness.

Worth a watch at least.

Don't like Victory myself.

Blader

I think X is one of the worst Gundam shows, outside of SEED/Destiny. It's not really terribad in any aspect, or anywhere near as annoying as SEED or ZZ, it's just really really boring. Like, nothing about the show at any point inspires some kind of excitement; it's all really forgettable at best, which is a shame because it has a really cool premise.

Deadly

00 Season 2 is worse than SEED Destiny imo
While I admit both are terribaaad, at least 00 season 2 had some nice small battles and while the escape pod thing was stupid I really liked the design of those mobile suits. In Seed Destiny it was like 80% recycled footage.

1stStrike

Banned

Victory is far too depressing for me to watch. X just has probably the most destructive gundam, or at least one of, in history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXsh6bMd4J4&feature=related

It's pretty much designed to just blow shit up with the microwave cannon, so if you like massive destruction, then that's your gundam.

Meanwhile, G Gundam has all kinds of flash and cool scenes. Like this:

http://youtu.be/E2TnfvEZN9Q?t=3m2s

I'm more privvy to G Gundam just because it's so over the top and makes everything look cool.

Bebpo

Banned
I think X is one of the worst Gundam shows, outside of SEED/Destiny. It's not really terribad in any aspect, or anywhere near as annoying as SEED or ZZ, it's just really really boring. Like, nothing about the show at any point inspires some kind of excitement; it's all really forgettable at best, which is a shame because it has a really cool premise.

Post-Apocalyptic setting - Check
Amazingly cool lead Gundam - Check
Postive outgoing and fun lead pilot - Check

That's enough to excite me!

I finally finished my latest project - those of you who have seen my work on gunpla. This was the AGX-041 Gerbera Tetra, which is usually red, but my wife bought me this particularly awesome shade of flat blue that I loved, and decided to try weathering out. This was my first build trying weathering - each piece has to go through ~24 steps to be fully fatigued! Let me know what you think GAF.

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/12/finished.html

More pics on my blog (click the pics)

I finally finished my latest project - those of you who have seen my work on gunpla. This was the AGX-041 Gerbera Tetra, which is usually red, but my wife bought me this particularly awesome shade of flat blue that I loved, and decided to try weathering out. This was my first build trying weathering - each piece has to go through ~24 steps to be fully fatigued! Let me know what you think GAF.

Holy crap, that's awesome. :O

Zaptruder

Banned

Fuckin' beautiful dude. It really adds to the sense of scale of the mech - turns it from toy into model in a very real sense.

B.K.

EY2DU.jpg

Interesting cover.

Watch Da Birdie

I was playing DWG3 and I took a liking to F91 and Seabook, so I decided to check out the F91 movie...

I've watched half of it so far (had to go to work), and I like it, although I wish it would've ended up as a series. I hear there's a manga continuation of it though, so that's nice.

But dear god, the beginning is 0.o

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

This looks amazing. Fantastic work man.

I was playing DWG3 and I took a liking to F91 and Seabook, so I decided to check out the F91 movie...

I've watched half of it so far (had to go to work), and I like it, although I wish it would've ended up as a series. I hear there's a manga continuation of it though, so that's nice.

PIRATE GUNDAMU!!!

Bebpo

Banned

Really nice looking!

Leunam

Fantastic weathering. Hair spray and salt?

Watch Da Birdie

Just finished watching F91...

Well...that sucked. :0

I had heard that it was obvious the movie was basically 13 episodes cobbled together, but I didn't expect it to go downhill so fast after the rather neat first half. :/

Lol F91.

I do like Seabook's random "I'm killing people" scene that's brushed aside quickly and then Anamarie's bretrayal, only to be killed like 5 mins later. It's like a greatest hits of Gundam plot points strung together.

Coxy

they should do a full F91->crossbone series and I think it'd be a much better way of spreading a story over a long period than AGE is doing :(

Had to share this awesome clock I picked up for $50 the other day.

KNXGw.jpg

A bit expensive, but it makes noises. On the hour you hear the head sensor (on whatever hour it is) start up. Then it blinks in a circle until it comes back to the correct hour and you hear a beam rifle.

OK a bit dorky, but I enjoy it! ;p

Holy shit, where did you get that? :O

nerd rant: And why isn't the Z'Gok red (or light blue)?!?!

Local anime store. I kept buying things and the person was like: I just got this in, but we think it's broken. Want it?

Me: :: poker face ::

Me after opening it up: :O

Yeah I took it then and there.

As for the coloration, I'm not sure why. I've seen that color Z'Gok somewhere before though.

GERBERA TETRA

Makes me want a JJ Abrams Gundam film.

Bebpo

Banned
It's nice that they're fixing the bad art sprinkled around the show. Are there any comments on if the show actually looks HD? Or if it just looks 480p upscaled to 720p? That's the main difference that would get me to rewatch the show.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, that blond guy at the bottom...hate the no-nose look the new version uses. :/

The old version looks pretty bad though, but it was one of the first Gundam series to use digital animation so I guess it was new territory.

they should do a full F91->crossbone series and I think it'd be a much better way of spreading a story over a long period than AGE is doing :(
Agreed. F91 had a lot of neat ideas and characters I'd love to see expanded upon. Plus F91 Gundam quickly became one of my favorite MSs

Watch Da Birdie

Up to 30 of Wing...

Kind of picking up, overly-fast pace aside, and although I don't care much about the characters, I do like the whole Mobile Doll plot as well as how the series switches things up, Gundam wise, and deals with pilots who are trained as soldiers as opposed to civilians becoming them. It's not perfectly executed, I admit, but it's a decent attempt.

The whole Lady Une subplot (if you've watched the show, you know what I mean) was bizarre and completely out of left field, so I'm a bit anxious to see how they're going to handle the upcoming subplot of Trowa, who I actually think is the coolest Gundam Pilot in the show,
developing amnesia dear god not that plot

The Mech Designs are pretty neat, though. Love the Mercurius and Vayeate, especially. Mercurius' little electric-barrier drums (a nod to the Red/Blue Oni legend?) is a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom