• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Finished 0079, and started Zeta.

Crunchyroll has the dub of 79 only, but only the sub of Zeta (and lacks the original OP/ED too), which sucks as I liked the dub voices. I didn't even recognize Char in Ep. 1 at first behind his helmet since I didn't know what his JP voice sounded like.

S. L.

Crunchyroll has the dub of 79 only, but only the sub of Zeta (and lacks the original OP/ED too), which sucks as I liked the dub voices. I didn't even recognize Char in Ep. 1 at first behind his helmet since I didn't know what his JP voice sounded like.

the handsomeness of his voice didn't give it away to you? :D

1stStrike

Banned

Weird. I hate the dub voices in most anime, including Gundam. I watched all of them in Japanese. Every time I start watching an anime and it defaults to English I'm just like *puke* and change it to Japanese right away.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, it's just that, having watched the original as a dub, I got used to all the voices. And I liked the voices of all the main characters in 0079...

If crunchyroll had the sub of 0079 though, I probably would've just watched that.

Anyway, up to episode 5 in Zeta, and this show is veeeery slow...I guess, outside of Wing which advanced WAYYY too fast, 0079, Turn A, and 00 were all slow-starters, but picked up, so I'm not too worried.

And I absolutely love Kamille...it's hilarious how pissed off he is at everything, and the amount of fists that have flown from him, and at him, has almost become a running joke. The fact that he pretty much goes on a rampage at the beginning because a guy makes fun of his name is icing on the cake. At the same time, however, I find him to be, well, a bit likable because he isn't afraid to speak his mind.

Plus his dad's an asshole. I love how he appears to be orgasming (seriously, the face he makes...) when thinking about Margarita in Episode 5 while betraying the AEUG, it's such a defining moment for him and takes away all sympathy you had when you thought he actually cared about his wife dying. :(
Seriously, look at his face during this scene...
eBztQ.png

Out of all the series I've watched so far (Wing, Turn A, and 0079), I'd have to say at the moment he's better than Heero and Amuro, imo, but falls behind Loran (although, to be fair, Loran is high because he's so likable, but isn't that good of a character when you think about it since he's rather simple) right now.

It never has been. It's the same as Sentinel or Hathaway's Flash: something that fans have wanted animated for decades, but Sunrise isn't interested.

Crossbone does have specific background music and even some of the characters have voice actors due to SRW, SD Gundam G Generation and ACE games, but yeah, not happening. Just one of those differences between how companies handle properties.

Well, it's just that, having watched the original as a dub, I got used to all the voices. And I liked the voices of all the main characters in 0079...

The dub voices don't stay consistent between one show and another.

Watch Da Birdie

The dub voices don't stay consistent between one show and another.

Yeah, I read about them going on a strike. :(
But was Kamille's dub voice the same one as in Dynasty Warriors? I love his voice in that one. :)

I also discovered the reason Crunchyroll can't use the OP for Zeta is that it's under trademark outside of Asia as Neil Sedaka wrote the song based off Better Days Are Coming.

Watch Da Birdie

Sucks, because Toki wo Koete is such a funky beat...especially the guitar at the beginning.

Beth Cyra

Full Armor Unicorn finally came in the mail. God this thing is a fucking beast.

Probably going to wait to get Heavyarms EW and do that so I can work on Unicorn and the Titanium Finish Sinanju I ordered at the same time.

I have a stack of MG gundams that I have touched in nearly 10 years. I also have a few kurosawa Macross models that bought recently

I've been feeling creative lately and i want to start building the mechs, But I can't find any active forums from which to learn some better techniques.

What happened?

It seems like every modeling forum (not just the gundam ones) are completely dead. DId modeling die out in the last 10 years? I remember it being quite active before I went to college. I noticed that walmart doesn't even sell testors paint anymore, I used those for washes. I don't even know where to buy that stuff from anymore (online of course).

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the opening theme they use in the subs on Crunchyroll is pretty cool.

Also, I found out Bandai apparently has the dub and sub on Youtube to watch (and G Gundam, too).

Beth Cyra

...hope remains at minimum

No, hope should be even less.

Unicorn was UC for one and had some of huge developments and some of the big suits they where going to push along with characters like Full Frontal.

Even if Unicorn had started out slow, the likely hood it would be animated was infinitly higher then Frozen Teardrop could ever hope to dream of.

Actually, I wasn't much into the Gunpla sceen when Unicorn first came into Novel form, but given how it is now and how people have talked about it in other circles it always seemed like it had done pretty well with alot of people.

Hasn't all the good will Wing had going for it been worn off already? Not going to lie, I've read some translations of Frozen, and even if Wing/AC was the hypest Gundam in Japan it's so bad that I can't see how they could still be really into it. Most stuff coming out of FT as far as sites go is already at or below what I heard as far as hype goes as the Manga retelling of G.

What about J Gundam Gaf, is the reaction much better then it seems from over here?

Beth Cyra

It seems like most recent shows get hated on out of the gate, and then they either remain hated or end up being loved in a few years.

Really? It seemed like most have changed a bit but have held prett steady. SEED and things from Destiny are huge. OO got somewhat bigger butr never reached the heights of SEED.

Has opionion done a major change as far as Age goes?

Beth Cyra

Oh, I was talking about us Western fans.

Yeah I guess. Even still though im not so sure. Though I think Age will likely qualify here given pre hate for several reasons. SEED is still prett split and Destiny still takes alot of shit.

I would say Trun A seems to get alot more love now, and Unicorn finally seems to be what the west needed to support UC. Still, to this day the reaction to the OO movie always weirded me outbecause most of what I saw was people just trying to even figure out there own reaction to it.

Beth Cyra

I see a lot of Unicorn hate, actually. That's fanboyism for you, nothing is as good as you want it to be.

Got to say, I'm not a fan of the story. That said the Suits are probably my favorite design since Endless Waltz and at least this story isn't as bad as that so I can complain to much about Unicorn.

Then again at this point it might be for the better if the rest of the episodes don't get released here in the west.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My problem with Unicorn lies in the ridiculous pricing per BD. It's really a deterrent when I can buy full seasons of other shows for the same price as one 30 minute Unicorn episode.

Hmmm, so the UE are
forgotten Martian colonists
. Episode 15 wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. Here's to hoping gen 2 is somewhat better.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yeah, but them being
Al Qaeda-style religious psychos
isn't much better. Way to demonise. At least 00 Season 1's antagonists had
non-batshit reasons for fighting
. The UE are worse than
the Innovators
at this rate.

Although I suppose
Grodek getting arrested just so he could blow the whistle on the Federation's corruption that allowed the Mars disaster to happen
was a nice touch, aside from the whole
9-11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB YO WAKE UP EARTH SPHERE
-ness of the underlying subtext.

Also, yet another protag cast gets away with no casualties. That's some SEED shit right there.

...Man, it looks like the ACTA fairies got to my post! :p

Bebpo

Banned
You know, AGE, outside of the terrible civil war colony arc, is decently made. Much more professional and less facepalm than Destiny or OO S2.

HOWEVER

The show does not have a single original idea. It's the most creatively bankrupt Gundam ever and that's really annoying. How many times are we going to REMAKE 0079?!? Jeez.

Yurin - Lala, Asteroid Base -> end of 0079, BIG ZAM (but shittier looking) -> chase on foot.

Then the plot is stolen straight out of Nadesico. I mean come on, the stupid time travel fake spoilers were better than just a straight Nadesico rip. WOLF EVEN PICKS UP THE LOCKET WHICH IS GOING TO HAVE THE PHOTO OF A MARTIAN GIRL THAT HE FALLS IN LOVE WITH NEXT SEASON. Come on! You can't rip off a better show PLOT DEVICE BY PLOT DEVICE. It's insulting.

On top of that the 15ep format with the standard slow Gundam pacing did not work. A lot happens by the end, yet it feels super rushed and there is no emotional attachment to anything going on in the finale.
When Yurin dies, it's empty KIND OF LIKE LALA, because there wasn't enough build up in her arc. Plus, well, her taking the stab was just kind of generic.

And again, EVERYTHING has been done before. Flower bits? Done. A Psychoframe that gives pseudo-newtype powers to non-newtypes? Been done. Kids who think war is FUN because they are brain damaged? Done before! Hino is a really weak writer.

So next season what we already know will happen:
-Desil comes back as the "char" of the series, as an adult ACE fighter with an obsession with Flit.

-Son of the base leader comes back for REVENGE.

-Wolf will meet the martian girl in the locket.

Which is a pretty cliche/trope/terrible start already.

They should just do Season 2 like this to at least throw people off:
Flit has become an insane maniac whose spent his life obsessed with building bigger and stronger weapons to destroy the UE and kill every last one of them. With control of the Federation Fleet he's lost his humanity and eventually becomes a major villain of the series.

Wolf has become the leader of the rebel army that doesn't trust the ever growing evil federation and after breaking Grodek out and re-uniting the crew of the Diva snoops further and further into Federation's dark secrets, eventually teaming up with a faction of the Martians that are trying to find a peaceful resolution to the on-going war.

something something SEED/Star Wars/etc... :p

Anyhow, the music in the show was nice. That's the best thing I can say about Season 1. The mecha designs for the main gundam and Diva were ok, but all the support mechs were like gaogaigar grunt rejects :| The final boss mech was reaaaally bad design. It doesn't even make SENSE logically.

duckroll

Apparently one of the hobby mags this month has reported that Unicorn 5 will screen on May 19, and the DVD/BD will be out on June 8.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just watched latest AGE and:

Did Grodek and gang just leave a child on the exploding asteroid base to die?

So glad the UE aren't
TIME TRAVELIN'

That would have been an actually interesting arc instead of this retread we got.

Just watched latest AGE and:

Did Grodek and gang just leave a child on the exploding asteroid base to die?
No it's even better than that.
Grodek rubbed it in the kids face that his dad got murdered. Sucks to be you kid! Enjoy your short miserable life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom