• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, that's it. I'm done with AGE. I gave it the first 15 episodes to finish the initial story arc, so plenty of chances to redeem itself. Not looking forward to starting all over again at the next ARC with some other dumb kids, so I'm done.

Dambrosi

Banned
Well, to be fair, Flit
going stark raving buggernuts
at the end and the new protag
possibly-maybe becoming a blond Kamille expy
gives me hope that Bebpo's version of events might come truer than any of us think.

At least, because a
Zeta
ripoff is the only logical way for this arc to pan out.

You know, AGE, outside of the terrible civil war colony arc, is decently made. Much more professional and less facepalm than Destiny or OO S2.

Even while those shows were crappy, they had some ok action and mecha designs to keep me watching.

Everything in AGE just has been so bland and boring. It's not bad bad, but it's so boring that I just have a hard time caring at all about anything in the show. Even the really bad gundam shows have given me something to watch for or keep me slightly entertained.

PhiLonius

Well, to be fair, Flit
going stark raving buggernuts
at the end and the new protag
possibly-maybe becoming a blond Kamille expy
gives me hope that Bebpo's version of events might come truer than any of us think.

At least, because a
Zeta
ripoff is the only logical way for this arc to pan out.

So who's going to be
the Char/Quattro to Asemu's Kamille
?

Everything about this show so far has felt safe/void of any sort of risk or differentiation from past series.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Even while those shows were crappy, they had some ok action and mecha designs to keep me watching.

Everything in AGE just has been so bland and boring. It's not bad bad, but it's so boring that I just have a hard time caring at all about anything in the show. Even the really bad gundam shows have given me something to watch for or keep me slightly entertained.

Yup. Even the action scenes are pretty shitty. The suits don't even feel like giant robots, they're basically action figures without any sense of scale or weight.

PhiLonius

So I recently finished 08th MS Team for the first time and wow was that amazing. All the action was great but
that custom Gouf fight was just fucking awesome
and I thought the ending was pretty nice as well.

Blader

So I recently finished 08th MS Team for the first time and wow was that amazing. All the action was great but
that custom Gouf fight was just fucking awesome
and I thought the ending was pretty nice as well.

That's the best fight of the whole franchise.

Gundam Age 16

So based on the OP and ED
Asem and Zeheart will be school friends but since Zeheart's also a spy so we have a frenemies situation on our hand. My guess for Gen-2 is that the show will go with friends forced to fight each other ala Kira vs. Athrun since they went to for the Lalah scenario in Gen-1.

Gundam Seed HD 6

And thus Kira was crowned the crybaby.

So I've been re-watching Gundam 00 on Crunchyroll thanks to the free trial. I have to say, I'm actually enjoying it. When it was airing, I originally found the first half up until the Throne's appeared to be quite boring. Now, I'm actually enjoying it. You know, a lot of Gundam shows(Zeta, Seed, Wing, G) have pretty boring beginnings, because they have to set-up the world. Maybe because 00 takes place in our world I'm finding the world building easier to get into, I don't know. Either way, it doesn't feel as boring as most Gundam shows. It also feels like it's taking every episode to explore a lot of story points that come from the idea that the heroes are terrorists. So it's pretty engaging and the show feels pretty well paced. It is in fact very nicely paced, maybe a benefit of splitting it into 2 seasons? Yes, it's very unsubtle in its "THIS IS POST 9/11 Gundam". But it doesn't feel as dumb as some of the stuff in Destiny.

I'm not quite done with season 1 though. I'm not sure if I should continue and watch season 2 and the movie again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just came here to post about 00...

I took a break from watching Zeta (up to 30...it's gotten better after a slow start, around when Four appears, and while most of the characters are assholes, I like Kamille, Jerid, and Scirocco), I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it's a show that seems like I'll like it after I finish it and can look at it as a whole, and watched the first 10 episodes of 00.

I have to agree, 00 has a nice intro that gets into the action, but isn't as crazy as Wing...which, I have to say, 00 seems so far to be a remake of Wing, or at least I feel that way. But while Wing never fleshed out the characters, outside of manga prequels and such, 00's already made Setsuna a far better character than Heero by actually showing flashbacks that give us a reason why he is, such as the first scene where he's a kid in a war-zone carrying a gun, and then later when he shoots a woman at point-blank.

The other three Gundam Meisters are also pretty cool so far, and I'm glad they're shown interacting and working together from the get-go as opposed to Wing when they never really joined up till the end after dicking around.

And while Wing was gloomy and depressing, it was actually pretty tame, never showing humans dying, instead just focusing on countless mobile suits blowing up. 00 is pretty violent, and I definitely agree with the "Gundam 9/11" title. I think this is probably the most "realistic" Gundam series ever, honestly, thanks to the political intrigue, taking place in our calendar and occurring primarily on an identical earth.

Also, Haro makes me laugh.

Yeah the show while maybe corny and simple with it's take on political world issues(I don't know, I'm not super smart) is at least entertaining and seemingly more realistic with it's world and themes. I have to wonder why hardcore UC fans would hate it. Even the Gundams aren't that overpowered. When the grunt suits are used by named pilots they can match the Gundams and of course there was the episode where the Gundams were heavily outmatched by the united military. It's far better then Wing in this aspect.

Anyway, Season 2 isn't available on Youtube or any video site. I see that it along with Code Geass R2 are being released by like next week. I wonder if this is Bandai just getting it's stuff out. I know they said they would continue releasing things for as long as they had the rights to, but I wonder how long those Anime Legend sets will be available.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah the show while maybe corny and simple with it's take on political world issues(I don't know, I'm not super smart) is at least entertaining and seemingly more realistic with it's world and themes. I have to wonder why hardcore UC fans would hate it. Even the Gundams aren't that overpowered. When the grunt suits are used by named pilots they can match the Gundams and of course there was the episode where the Gundams were heavily outmatched by the united military. It's far better then Wing in this aspect.

Anyway, Season 2 isn't available on Youtube or any video site. I see that it along with Code Geass R2 are being released by like next week. I wonder if this is Bandai just getting it's stuff out. I know they said they would continue releasing things for as long as they had the rights to, but I wonder how long those Anime Legend sets will be available.

They don't. S1 is pretty good and like you say very grounded like a UC Gundam where pilot skill >>> magical buttons. S2 doing a 180 on everything that S1 was pretty much killed the series as a whole with UC fans and just Gundam fans in general. S2 was OO's Destiny.

Beth Cyra

I have to agree, 00 has a nice intro that gets into the action, but isn't as crazy as Wing...which, I have to say, 00 seems so far to be a remake of Wing, or at least I feel that way. But while Wing never fleshed out the characters, outside of manga prequels and such, 00's already made Setsuna a far better character than Heero by actually showing flashbacks that give us a reason why he is, such as the first scene where he's a kid in a war-zone carrying a gun, and then later when he shoots a woman at point-blank.

The other three Gundam Meisters are also pretty cool so far, and I'm glad they're shown interacting and working together from the get-go as opposed to Wing when they never really joined up till the end after dicking around.

I've got to say that OO is trash and this is one the big reasons.

Heero as he is introduced was a perfect character for what he was clearly setup to be.

As it was he was an off kilter deranged killer and given he was nothing more then merc this fit the character perfectly.

Every single thing done in the first few episodes built on this, and it created a different lead that Gundam hadn't really had up until that point. Everything from his laugh when he killed the first two Red Shirts, his declartion to kill what anyone would guess to be his love interest.

Hell even his comaprision to his fellow pilots drew this out. When we see the most peaceful pilot kill someone by cutting the mobile suit in half and then the so called God of Death being far more kind to those around him.

All of this worked on a level of it's not deep but believable. Setsuna never did this, at least for me not a single second of 00's writing came off as being able to carry a story line with maturity for someone who's soul had been ravaged by war around him and he was just unlikeable and it only got worse when they turned him into a fucking god.

Heero may have been shallow but at least when he was in killer mode it worked for being a terrorist.

I will agree that 00 in alot of ways felt like a recreation of Wing but it only served to make a very Meh series even worse and then never had anyone as great as Treize in it.

Oh yeah, Heavyarms EW MG shipped to day can't wait to get it in my hands.

squall23

I guess it's time to start taking bets on which series Age season 3 will take after?

I'm personally hoping for Victory. As in,
the youngest pilot also has the most tragedies happening around him.

But that's probably not happening since Hino already stated his target audience.

AGE 16

Nice start for Gen 2. Really sucks for Emily, though. You know, being Flit's silver medal and all.

LOL.

Even though the slice of life shizzle was typical, it wasn't annoying. It was neat seeing Flit keeping that grudge as well. Dude is still mad salty after all those years. Dual wielding AGE 1 was nice and Genoace saving the day was sweet as well. And if dude was hiding the Gundam all those years, what was Flit using in that time period? I wanna know, mang.

Tieria's back as well. xD

They don't. S1 is pretty good and like you say very grounded like a UC Gundam where pilot skill >>> magical buttons. S2 doing a 180 on everything that S1 was pretty much killed the series as a whole with UC fans and just Gundam fans in general. S2 was OO's Destiny.
So what does that make the 00 movie? Char's Counterattack?lol

Watch Da Birdie

Well, apparently the show was originally supposed to take place in the UC but was changed to A.D. Or so I hear.

And I have to give Wing some slack, because there's kind of a justification for the Gundams being so powerful...the first enemies they fight, the Leos and the Aries, are the only Mobile Suits around and aren't designed to fight other MS, but to enforce the Earth Sphere Alliance's rule. Wing gets a bit better when OZ begins to develop mobile suits that are more battle oriented rather than used for intimidation and crowd control, like the Taurus and Virgo which can put up a decent fight.

Blader

I'll always maintain that Wing is the most underappreciated/underrated/underwhatever Gundam series. It's actually really interesting when you realize the story is framed around Treize/Zechs and not the Gundam pilots.

Because there's definitely no magic in UC Gundam...

donkey show said:
AGE 16 was better than the entire first part of AGE.

I thought the last couple Flit episodes were pretty good, but yeah, 16 was a solid start for Generation Asemu.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yeah, AGE 16 was alright. You already get the feeling that Asemu's going to be a very different kind of Gundam pilot to his dad
though, if he's not calling Flit out on his insane blood grudge by the end of the series imma gon' be disappoint

Again, though, AGE's main problem is that it doesn't have a single original plot element. I mean,
remaking a remake that's currently undergoing a remaster
? Is Hino/Sunrise really that hard up for ideas?

Still, I suppose kids'll eat anything if you put enough sugar in it.

Should've been a full Gunpla Builders series. I'd watch that.

SonicX_Zero: No, you're thinking of Double Zeta. The 00 movie is more akin to Plan Needle Spam From Outer Space, or maybe Gundam F91.

Divvy

The Duel gundam MG actually looks surprisingly awesome. I was never the biggest fan of this design, but the model is proportioned and detailed just perfectly.
lyHYn.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

Should've been a full Gunpla Builders series. I'd watch that.

I'm surprised they haven't done a "Monster Battling" series for Gundam yet, although G Gundam kind of came close since it has the basic tournament plot such a series would likely have. It would be an interesting direction for the franchise to take for an AU story, perhaps taking a page from the Megaman Classic -> .EXE conversion and having the Gundams serve as advance computer programs and deal with the realities of internet terrorism and such. I'd like to see a slightly darker take on that idea.

Divvy

Just watched the new AGE ep. I have to echo the opinions here that it was surprisingly good! Could this be reverse-destiny?

The new OP is pretty terrible though.

Well So I've been watching 00 season 2. And it's not quite as bad as I remember. I always liked the character development of Setsuna and Tieria. Setsuna as he becomes more of a person with strong convictions. Tieria is actually one of the best character in the show. I really like how he is constantly in conflict about being human and now the Innovader stuff further complicates the issue. Plus it's nice to him become much more human anyway. A lot of the first half is pretty decent. The cracks begin with Soma as she turns and becomes an annoying Belldandy character. I liked Soma because she was also conflicted with being a super solider, but she wasn't quite psychotic as Gundam super soliders usually are. I would have liked her to not just turn into Allelujah's wife, but instead become further conflicted with her duty and her new found persona. Except that conflict is there for that 1 episode and then her character stops. It kind of sucks. Of course the Inovades start to become more important and well they just aren't good villains. They constantly talk very mysteriously and then there usual combat routines play out the same:

Inovaders: "We are so great"

*Thier MS gets hurt*

Inovaders: "Next TIME CELESTIAL BEING!"

They are just very boring. Yes I get it, you guys are very scheming. Ali is far more fun to watch, but he seems pretty underused.

I don't know. It isn't quite too ridiculous yet. And their are still some nice dynamics going with such as the entire thing with Lockon 2, which is handled quite decently. Its still more grounded with actual strategy, pilot skill, and team work mattering. Maybe season 2 isn't quite so bad, but I have to finish it to truly know.

Preorders are up for Unicorn Vol 5 BD on AmiAmi - http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...gundam+unicorn$pagemax=100$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1. Thanks to all of the Bandai Ent. shenanigans I'm pretty sure that importing will be the only way to get the BD (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps US PSN will get it still, but I don't know.

Pretty much agree that AGE 16 was the one of if not the best eps to date. The complete lack of Dique didn't hurt lol.

Also, I kinda like 00 S2 and the movie both, though not as much as S1. Does this make me a horrible person? :p (and for the record I do find Destiny to be complete trash).

Hero

Preorders are up for Unicorn Vol 5 BD on AmiAmi - http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...gundam+unicorn$pagemax=100$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1. Thanks to all of the Bandai Ent. shenanigans I'm pretty sure that importing will be the only way to get the BD (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps US PSN will get it still, but I don't know.

Pretty much agree that AGE 16 was the one of if not the best eps to date. The complete lack of Dique didn't hurt lol.

Also, I kinda like 00 S2 and the movie both, though not as much as S1. Does this make me a horrible person? :p (and for the record I do find Destiny to be complete trash).

I don't see how you can think Destiny is complete trash and think 00 S2 is enjoyable in any fashion.

Destiny had the potential to be awesome and reached its peak at the Shinn vs Kira fight which actually was pretty damn awesome. I would've actually preferred if Kira had legitimately died and the series ended with that episode. But due to whatever reason the cast of Seed showed up and stole the spotlight and made the Destiny cast to be the bad guys.

00 S2 was coming off a pretty awesome S1 climatic ending in which they totally shit on anything that had been built up. Lockon 2.0 is probably the most offensive thing since it seemed like they thought viewers wouldn't care or notice how shitty of an excuse and a cop-out it was. Then Ali came back to make Lockon 1.0's sacrifice in vain especially and did absolutely nothing in S2 other than to go around saying "ha ha ha ha I'm still important guys look at me." before finally dying. Setsuna goes from being in a badass suit equipped with a shit load of melee sword weapons to an overpowered, Super Saiyan suit that shoots telepathic laser beams of love, peace and understanding and had probably the worst endings in a Gundam ever.

Not defending Destiny at all but S2 00 is worse in my opinion. It's just arguing which pile of shit is smellier.

I'm going to wait a while just in case Right Stuf or someone else manages to get a small print run of English discs like the previous four volumes, however unlkely it is. Volume 5 doesn't come out until June, so I'm in no rush to preorder.

I don't see how you can think Destiny is complete trash and think 00 S2 is enjoyable in any fashion.

Destiny is a inconsistent train wreck that doesn't even know who its main character is, relies waaaaaaay too much on flashbacks and recycled animation (with mediocre artwork to boot), and has a shittier version of SEED's ending. I'm not saying that 00 is God's gift to mankind ( it has plenty of faults itself), but nothing in it to me can match any of Destiny's shittyness.

kiryogi

Banned

What is this 00 S2 you speak of.

Watch Da Birdie

I haven't even watched SEED, but just from playing Dynasty Warriors 3 I already hate all the characters from it, lol.

"I wanna protect everyone hnnnnnnnnng!"

It'll probably be the last series I'll watch in my Gundam marathon, barring AGE and Unicorn which I'll wait till they finish.

Speaking of which, what series do you think I should watch next after finishing Zeta and 00 (I'm watching them back and forth, just to keep things fresh) in my marathon?

After the depressing Zeta, I think ZZ would be good for a light-hearted change, yet I kind of want to take a break from the UC for a bit.

G Gundam is fun, but I've already seen most of it when I was younger, so it wouldn't be as fresh.

Gundam X is short, and it'd be nice to check out a briefer series for once, plus I like Garrod from playing DW3.

Oh, and what about Victory? It's UC, but isn't it pretty far removed that I could watch it without watching ZZ or Char's Counterattack without worrying about spoilers/plot points?

Recently finished SEED Destiny and I actually really enjoyed it. The series basically got me to hate Shin so much that I just wanted to keep watching to make sure that he lost in the end.

Blader

SEED would have been a far more interesting show if Kira had died when
Athrun self-destructed his Gundam, making him and Cagalli the new leads.

The whole series would have been better if anyone had been able to die, SEED was almost painful to watch towards the end with the repeating cycle of fire lasers at nothing until you have to retreat, then redeploy using the exact same reused animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom