• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
...why does Gundam Nadleeh have hair.

Gundam in a Gundam is pretty cool, though.

I don't recall all the details as I haven't watched all of Destiny since it was airing. It did really start off pretty great, but it really did get shitty. I mean even before Kira came back you can see the cracks. I mean Shinn's character development is pretty bad right from the start. And then Stella or whatever is extremely stupid, hell most of the 3 new mental-issue Gundam pilots are terribly underused and of course the awful handling of Mu La Flaga.

And you I really don't like Kira and I really hate Lacus. They were ok in Seed, but at least Athrun didn't seem to completely play 2nd fiddle and the supporting cast actually seemed to be characters with their own goals and motives. In Destiny though, it just seems that Kira and Lacus are right no matter what and what they say is what is right.

Destiny is pretty bad. 00 S2 I'm finding isn't offending me as much.

It's a shame the English Dub of Wing isn't up anymore. I think I would watch that next after 00.

kiryogi

Banned
The Destiny Movies were a tidbit more tolerable. It was pretty neat that they gave it in Athrun's POV and made little changes here and there. Unfortunately it still went to hell once Kira was lead again.

PhiLonius

Caught up to AGE 16. Really good start to Gen-2 I think. Asemu seems interesting so far.

...why does Gundam Nadleeh have hair.

Gundam in a Gundam is pretty cool, though.

Somehow, I forgot about that.

I didn't say it'd be good, I said it'd be more interesting.

Also no one in either series was capable of carrying a show.

Pretty sure neither of them even counts as a character.

I feel like the show needed all three to sort of play off each other/balance one another out.

As far as Destiny, I could never tell whether or not they wanted the audience to actually like Shinn. I kept expecting him to come to some revelation or change somewhere in the series and become some sort of decently likeable character, or at the very least have some sort of major development. Even during the regular ending (non-Chosen Future one), he was still kind of doing and saying the same shit.

Blader

I kinda liked Shinn for a while, if only because I liked that the main character was a soldier who actually followed orders even if they ended up being the wrong thing to do. There were a lot of interesting shades of grey in Destiny that turned pretty black-and-white once Kira took over.

My hatred for Shin was only compounded by the absurdity of his mobile suit, even with the suspension of disbelief required to accept giant robots as a efficient weapons why would you choose to launch the thing in four separate pieces that then need to combine in the air. The entire design of the impulse seemed like an excuse reuse the same animation constantly to pad out the show.

Hero

Wasn't it confirmed from the Destiny staff through leaks on 2ch and stuff that the producer/director/something gave the writing to his wife and that's why there was so much stupid shit? I at least remember in the official thread they said that because Seed Destiny wasn't performing well in the ratings they switched the spotlight to the Seed cast to try and get those fans back. Either way, awful choice.

What are 00 S2's excuses for being shitty?

My hatred for Shin was only compounded by the absurdity of his mobile suit, even with the suspension of disbelief required to accept giant robots as a efficient weapons why would you choose to launch the thing in four separate pieces that then need to combine in the air. The entire design of the impulse seemed like an excuse reuse the same animation constantly to pad out the show.

I think it had more to do with the fact that it was almost like the Strike Gundam with different alt modes so that they could capitalize on the merchandising. Very little effort on their part to go from Impulse to Sword Impulse but people would buy them both anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
Wasn't it confirmed from the Destiny staff through leaks on 2ch and stuff that the producer/director/something gave the writing to his wife and that's why there was so much stupid shit? I at least remember in the official thread they said that because Seed Destiny wasn't performing well in the ratings they switched the spotlight to the Seed cast to try and get those fans back. Either way, awful choice.

Sunrise producers coming in and forcing staff to make major changes and writing in the 2nd half in order to sell more toys.

Sunrise.

I still haven't watched the 00 movie. Considering I recently watched all of Code Geass, I might as well get it over with.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

The worst part about Shinn is that he is the exact same character at the beginning of the show as he was at the end. Zero character development.

I don't recall all the details as I haven't watched all of Destiny since it was airing. It did really start off pretty great, but it really did get shitty. I mean even before Kira came back you can see the cracks. I mean Shinn's character development is pretty bad right from the start. And then Stella or whatever is extremely stupid, hell most of the 3 new mental-issue Gundam pilots are terribly underused and of course the awful handling of Mu La Flaga.

The whole Mu/Neo mess from Destiny might be one of my biggest problems with the show, now that you mention it. Say what you will about the Lockons, but Mu was handled far worse. At least Neil Dylandy died and stayed dead instead of getting retroactive plot armor (per the third SEED movie editing out his helmet floating in space so they had a flimsy way to bring him back).

So, I'm about 14 episodes into REALLY watching G Gundam for the first time (dub). I gotta say, this is some of the silliest shit I've ever seen, but it's awesome in the same kind of way I thought the Ultimate Warrior was awesome when I was a kid.

It's cool to have that feeling, as an adult. Soundtrack is bitchin' too! It would be really cool to see Sunrise do a GG Gundam or something similar. I'm such a sucker for Tournament Anime, heh

Blader

Fukuda's wife was always the writer, for both SEED and Destiny.

Watch Da Birdie

It's cool to have that feeling, as an adult. Soundtrack is bitchin' too! It would be really cool to see Sunrise do a GG Gundam or something similar. I'm such a sucker for Tournament Anime, heh

Agreed. Future Century is the one AU I want to see more of. Correct Century too, but part of me thinks that Turn A doesn't need to be expanded on with prequels, side-stories, and sequels.

Prequel series about Master Asia and the original Shuffle Alliance would be awesome. There's a manga about it, but a full on animated OVA mini-series would be amazing.

EnuuC.jpg

This is like Gundam Super Sentai right here!

Oh, and Fuun Saiki would be the Releena character.

So, I'm about 14 episodes into REALLY watching G Gundam for the first time (dub). I gotta say, this is some of the silliest shit I've ever seen, but it's awesome in the same kind of way I thought the Ultimate Warrior was awesome when I was a kid.
I've been meaning to rewatch G Gundam at some point so I can experience all the screaming and silliness again.

We could always use more G Gundam.

Prequel series about Master Asia and the original Shuffle Alliance would be awesome. There's a manga about it, but a full on animated OVA mini-series would be amazing.

This is like Gundam Super Sentai right here!

Oh, and Fuun Saiki would be the Releena character.

What is this trash?! I don't see Chapman, the tree time Gundam Fight champion, and the John Bull Gundam anywhere in there.

Watch Da Birdie

Chapman didn't enter the Gundam Fight till the 9th tournament, while this manga takes place during the 7th.

EDIT: I'm rewatching G Gundam on Youtube (they have the whole dub and sub officially up), and I love how, in Episode 4, they never mention the country of the Gundam George battles at the beginning yet I instantly guessed it was Cuba because the Gundam (Arachno Gundam, not sure why a spider fits with Cuba) is literally wearing Fidel Castro's hat.

And then I find out the Neo Cuba fighter is named Frank Gastro. :/

Watch Da Birdie

A Black History prequel for Turn A would be MOST welcome.
We already have that.

It's called...every other Gundam series. :p

I love the speculation going around that AGE will end up being the prequel to Turn A though, lol. Pretty sure the back-story of Turn X involves it being created by Martians, so...o.0

G Gundam is legally online for free? I always wanted to watch it.
Yep, right here. They also have the SEED remaster, one of the SD series, and AGE, although AGE doesn't seem to work in America.

Bandai Visual/Sunrise also have Gunpla Builders with English subtitles and SD Gundam Sangokuden with an English dub available to watch online for free.

We already have that.

It's called...every other Gundam series. :p

I love the speculation going around that AGE will end up being the prequel to Turn A though, lol. Pretty sure the back-story of Turn X involves it being created by Martians, so...o.0

Yep, right here. They also have the SEED remaster, one of the SD series, and AGE, although AGE doesn't seem to work in America.

Awesome, thanks!

Watch Da Birdie

Bandai Visual/Sunrise also have Gunpla Builders with English subtitles and SD Gundam Sangokuden with an English dub available to watch online for free.

I also love the little videos they have showcasing various Mobile Suits from all the series. Very neat.

This is my first time watching G Gundam in years, but damn I remember this song (and the Shining Finger theme) so well. I'd have to say, out of all the series I've watched, G only comes behind Turn A in terms of soundtrack.

Also, did anyone else cry at the end of Episode 8 (the one with the lumberjack?) It's cliched and the plot twist is obvious, but it's pretty sad haha. :p

PhiLonius

I also love the little videos they have showcasing various Mobile Suits from all the series. Very neat.

This is my first time watching G Gundam in years, but damn I remember this song (and the Shining Finger theme) so well. I'd have to say, out of all the series I've watched, G only comes behind Turn A in terms of soundtrack.

Also, did anyone else cry at the end of Episode 8 (the one with the lumberjack?) It's cliched and the plot twist is obvious, but it's pretty sad haha. :p

No, but the Master Asia/"LOOK! The East is burning red!" part and the ending got me a little.

Also
Tequila Gundam
... but those were a different kind of tears.

Watch Da Birdie

Also
Tequila
Gundam... but those were a different kind of tears.

"Will I be reborn if I fall into the sea?" :(

But holy fuck, I forgot that Neo-Mexico is literally a sombrero-shaped satellite.

Beth Cyra

I haven't even watched SEED, but just from playing Dynasty Warriors 3 I already hate all the characters from it, lol.

"I wanna protect everyone hnnnnnnnnng!"

It'll probably be the last series I'll watch in my Gundam marathon, barring AGE and Unicorn which I'll wait till they finish.

Speaking of which, what series do you think I should watch next after finishing Zeta and 00 (I'm watching them back and forth, just to keep things fresh) in my marathon?

After the depressing Zeta, I think ZZ would be good for a light-hearted change, yet I kind of want to take a break from the UC for a bit.

G Gundam is fun, but I've already seen most of it when I was younger, so it wouldn't be as fresh.

Gundam X is short, and it'd be nice to check out a briefer series for once, plus I like Garrod from playing DW3.

Oh, and what about Victory? It's UC, but isn't it pretty far removed that I could watch it without watching ZZ or Char's Counterattack without worrying about spoilers/plot points?
I got to say this is strange to me. Kira and Lacus can be a bit much in DWG, but they every character in the game is pretty boiled down to their most popular/unique trait repeated over and over agian.

That and how anyone can walk away hating anything but being fine with Setsuna screaming I AM GUNDAM over and over again when ever he launches I just find crazy.

That said, if there is anything good left in this world, if they ever bring Garrod back to NA never give him that voice actor, my god it was terrible. Oh and not having David Kaye be Treize but instead Uso was a travesty of justice.

On a side note, I couldn't resist the HLJ sale any longer and picked up PG SF for about 100$ off.

Watch Da Birdie

I love Setsuna's "I AM GUNDAM!", because the game even mocks it at one point...you get an email from him that's entitled "Oh, I forgot", and then the message is literally him remembering to tell you that "I AM GUNDAM!'.

My favorite part of Gundam DW is the goofy voice acting and out-of-context quotes, it's great.

And I've never watched the Gundam Wing dub, but honestly, whoever does Treize's voice in Dynasty Warriors is awesome. Treize has the best quotes too, and the new guy does a great job. "Having forgotten the meaning of battle, I can shoot an opponent through the heart without feeling guilt" is my favorite (I don't remember the full quote exactly), even though it's actually taken out of context from the show since he used that line to argue against the Mobile Dolls.

I agree with you about Garrod, though, his voice is pretty obnoxious. The voice they got for Loran, though, is great. I thought it was Debbie Debbyberry (Jimmy Neutron and Zach Bell), but it's apparently some singer named Annika Odegard.

Beth Cyra

I love Setsuna's "I AM GUNDAM!", because the game even mocks it at one point...you get an email from him that's entitled "Oh, I forgot", and then the message is literally him remembering to tell you that "I AM GUNDAM!'.

My favorite part of Gundam DW is the goofy voice acting and out-of-context quotes, it's great.

And I've never watched the Gundam Wing dub, but honestly, whoever does Treize's voice in Dynasty Warriors is awesome. Treize has the best quotes too, and the new guy does a great job. "Having forgotten the meaning of battle, I can shoot an opponent through the heart without feeling guilt" is my favorite (I don't remember the full quote exactly), even though it's actually taken out of context from the show since he used that line to argue against the Mobile Dolls.

I agree with you about Garrod, though, his voice is pretty obnoxious. The voice they got for Loran, though, is great. I thought it was Debbie Debbyberry (Jimmy Neutron and Zach Bell), but it's apparently some singer named Annika Odegard.

Loran is fine. Sadly Kam is way worse then the last two games.

The search for a new Eng Heero hit a new low with him being down by Zech's voice actor of all people.

Wubby

Picked these two up at a hobby shop recently. Pretty stoked that they were put back into production and re-released last month. I'd been looking for these two for a little while and didn't want to resort to yahoo auctions.

ibm48IGEY3eP15.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

Picked these two up at a hobby shop recently. Pretty stoked that they were put back into production and re-released last month. I'd been looking for these two for a little while and didn't want to resort to yahoo auctions.

ibm48IGEY3eP15.jpg

Damn, son.

The coolest Mobile Suits in all of Wing. :0

Heh remember when wing was huge and you had all these stores importing in those kits. Bandai hadn't expected such a hit and was left scrambling to get toys and models made for the US audience, while many US retailers simply found other sources to get kits direct from Japan. By the time Bandai got US designed products for Wing out, it was already waning in popularity.

Heh remember when wing was huge and you had all these stores importing in those kits. Bandai hadn't expected such a hit and was left scrambling to get toys and models made for the US audience, while many US retailers simply found other sources to get kits direct from Japan. By the time Bandai got US designed products for Wing out, it was already waning in popularity.

Hasn't Bandai's handling of Gundam merchandise in the US constantly been lackluster. It always seems that they overestimate/underestimate the popularity of things.

Bandai and Sunrise seem to think that Gundam is just as popular in NA as it is in Japan. Every time they're reminded that this isn't the case, they take their ball and run back home crying.

Bandai and Sunrise seem to think that Gundam is just as popular in NA as it is in Japan. Every time they're reminded that this isn't the case, they take their ball and run back home crying.

Well Gundam never did well in the US previously. Gundam Wing was not expected to become such a massive hit that they had no plans at all for merchandising the actual show, they were caught unaware. With future Gundam followups they were ready and had lot of product to cross promote and merchandise, but the following Gundam releases never were that popular and it bit them in the ass.

It's not totally their fault, the popularity of Gundam just seesawed so much that it was basically impossible to be prepared or catch up.

After Wing most of the folks at Bandai in the US gave up on Gundam but they were constantly pushed by the Japanese big wigs to keep pushing out product that just wouldn't sell.

Hasn't Bandai's handling of Gundam merchandise in the US constantly been lackluster. It always seems that they overestimate/underestimate the popularity of things.

Outside of Wing, not really. How were they supposed to know Wing was going to so massive? It was doing ratings comparable to DBZ showings when it came out and caught everyone off guard, and their previous Gundam releases in the US market were considered flops. They put out merchandising to go along with all future Gundam releases after but that never took off.

Only success they had with merchandising Gundam after Wing was with G Gundam which did fairly well, and the toys did sell. But Bandai did screw up this by creating and adding in a ton of new figures into the toy line which no one wanted and stores were flooded with unsellable Gundams. The figs sold really well, but stores refused to restock as each case would always come with 1-2 figures that they had a shelf full of already....

I don't think they gave up on Gundam after wing. That dosen't make sense. More like they followed Wing up incorrectly. Old 1970s MS Gundam was not going to appeal to Wing viewers at all.

I don't think they gave up on Gundam after wing. That dosen't make sense. More like they followed Wing up incorrectly. Old 1970s MS Gundam was not going to appeal to Wing viewers at all.
They waited too long to make 00. Also, if I recall, they didn't start with the original Gundam series after Wing. I think they showed the OVAs first, then 0083 followed by 0079.

They didn't give up right after Wing, but with how everything after was one failure after another, Bandai US gave up eventually. At least that's how the feeling was with most of the staff at the time, but they were constantly pushed to keep putting out merchandise as Wing gave the folks in Japan the idea that Gundam could be as big here as it is over there.

They had little to really fall back too though also. Following with G Gundam would probably have been for the best, and maybe X also, but really they would have hit the wall which was UC gundam which just hasn't appealed to mass US appeal. Turn A would have probably killed the fans they garnerd faster than 0079 even. Franchise was always going to be limited in it's success and the general downtrend of anime in the US... Gundam was always doomed and never going to be as big a hit.

Bandai US could have done better with aspects of Gundam, but it was always going to fail.

Well Gundam never did well in the US previously. Gundam Wing was not expected to become such a massive hit that they had no plans at all for merchandising the actual show, they were caught unaware. With future Gundam followups they were ready and had lot of product to cross promote and merchandise, but the following Gundam releases never were that popular and it bit them in the ass.

It's not totally their fault, the popularity of Gundam just seesawed so much that it was basically impossible to be prepared or catch up.

After Wing most of the folks at Bandai in the US gave up on Gundam but they were constantly pushed by the Japanese big wigs to keep pushing out product that just wouldn't sell.

They just need to lower their expectations and realize that it doesn't sell on the same level here as it does back home, nor can they charge as much for it.

Example: Gundam AGE blu-rays apparenly will have English subtitles. Since they can't get away with chraging crazy prices for it in NA, this is their foreign release strategy.

They just need to lower their expectations and realize that it doesn't sell on the same level here as it does back home, nor can they charge as much for it.

Example: Gundam AGE blu-rays apparenly will have English subtitles. Since they can't get away with chraging crazy prices for it in NA, this is their foreign release strategy.
Ah, so they are saving fansubbers the trouble. How nice of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom