• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wait, I always thought G came after Wing in the states (although it was the opposite in Japan) and did rather well? I remember seeing G model kits in stores (I got Master Gundam...although it was one of those simpler, action figures more so than a model kit) and that Gundam Battle Assault 2 they specifically made for America heavily featured G, with all the Shuffle Alliance, Asia, and KYOJI!!!!!!!!!! as the last boss.

Beth Cyra

They were only in the TV version. But Namco did add Blue Destiny, so they're not necessarily against adding units from series not originally included in the game.

Well they will become Katoki types (if they aren't already I can't remember) once Glory reaches far enough so they will have Endless Waltz types and would likely use them if they did ever get used.

Wait, I always thought G came after Wing in the states (although it was the opposite in Japan) and did rather well? I remember seeing G model kits in stores (I got Master Gundam...although it was one of those simpler, action figures more so than a model kit) and that Gundam Battle Assault 2 they specifically made for America heavily featured G, with all the Shuffle Alliance, Asia, and KYOJI!!!!!!!!!! as the last boss.

G did alright, but nothing compared to Wing. Hell the only thing that did compareble to Wing was Endless Waltz.

Though from what I remember G did do much better then 0079 or Zeta.

They waited too long to make 00. Also, if I recall, they didn't start with the original Gundam series after Wing. I think they showed the OVAs first, then 0083 followed by 0079.
Gundam X is what should have followed Wing.

I think the OVA's were aired on Adult Swim, with MS Gundam being aired on Toonami.

B.K.

I think the OVA's were aired on Adult Swim, with MS Gundam being aired on Toonami.

I don't know about 0083, but 0080 aired at midnight during the week as part of Toonami's Midnight Run. It was a Midnight Run exclusive. I think 08th MS Team ran during the afternoon.

I don't know about 0083, but 0080 aired at midnight during the week as part of Toonami's Midnight Run. It was a Midnight Run exclusive. I think 08th MS Team ran during the afternoon.

I don't know about 0080. I think I remember seeing it during the weekend. I know they had a brief Weekend Toonami thing. I know for sure I saw O8th on Midnight Run, but I guess it could have been on during the evening as well.

Either way I think following up Wing with UC shows was a bad idea. I don't want to toot Gundams horn or anything, but those UC ovas obviously are intended for an audience that grew up with MS Gundam. Probably older teenagers and 20 or 30 year olds. Doesn't seem like perfect shows for kids.

Gundam X though. Yeah would have been perfect. But I guess Japan really wanted to force MS Gundam down our throats.

Anyway, almost done with Gundam 00 S2. I kind of like it. While Trans Am and Energy particles making people have newtype stuff is a bit ridiculous. It is a Gundam show. It's really not that much and well it's explained well within the logic of the show.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One of my first memories of Gundam EVER was staying up late one night and seeing Gundam 0080 air on Toonami...I fell asleep during it, but I remember it was a scene where the main character, I think, gets shot in the butt or something while chasing a truck? There is a scene like that, right?

B.K.

Today is the release date for Bandai's final releases. I guess I better order the 0079 Complete Collection 2 soon. Who knows how long it'll stay in print.

Today is the release date for Bandai's final releases. I guess I better order the 0079 Complete Collection 2 soon. Who knows how long it'll stay in print.

Star Driver vol. 2 on Blu-ray is apparently out of stock at lots of places already. I got lucky with Deep Discount.

B.K.

Star Driver vol. 2 on Blu-ray is apparently out of stock at lots of places already. I got lucky with Deep Discount.

Amazon still has it in stock for now. I went ahead and ordered the MSG Complete Collection 2. They had a decent discount on it today. It was $30. Last time I checked, they had it listed at $45.

Amazon still has it in stock for now. I went ahead and ordered the MSG Complete Collection 2. They had a decent discount on it today. It was $30. Last time I checked, they had it listed at $45.

SD vol. 2 was $27.99 at Deep Discount. Right Stuf is sold out too. I'm sure Amazon got a larger shipment. But, it's still interesting anecdotal evidence.

I just ordered MSG Complete 1 and 2 to play it safe.

PhiLonius

Really liking these first few episodes of Gen 2 of Gundam AGE, especially this last one. Some decent action with
Asemu vs Zeheart
at the end.

John Blade

Picked these two up at a hobby shop recently. Pretty stoked that they were put back into production and re-released last month. I'd been looking for these two for a little while and didn't want to resort to yahoo auctions.

ibm48IGEY3eP15.jpg

Have fun with the kit. Just need to be careful when you finish building the kit as they is some parts that feel a bit loose (we`re talking about an old kit here not Master Grade kit). Would recommend to paint them to make them look nicer (as someone who used to build Gundam model in the past).

As for the Gundam Seed and Destiny. I have to say, that saga kinda kill me from watching any other Gundam show for a while. Still a UC fan and have some of the Gundam dvd in my collection.

Maybe a good question to discuss about Gundam. If you have a chance to design the new Gundam series, Where do you want this franchise to dive into.

Bebpo

Banned
AGE S2 intro is a better version of the SEED intro, so that's cool. This generation of the story could be good.

still,

The first 3-4 eps of AGE S1 were pretty good too and it wasn't until ep5 or so when they got to the colony that it got Hino-dumb for a while. So 50/50 chance AGE S2 will be good/suck.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, the only thing that bugs me about AGE Gen2 is that it's been like 25-30 years and they're still using the the same mechs. Like, not even same style mechs but literally these 25-30 year old mechs are still up and running and then magically once the show gets going in a few more eps everyone is going to have new mechs and technology. Doesn't make much sense. You'd think during each timeskip both sides would be developing more and more advanced mechs so you start the show with newer and beefier mechs everywhere.

We'll see how it goes, but going by the info out so far on mech upgrades for Gen 2 it almost seems like it's a transitional gen made to link the intro starting mech designs to the UC-like cool AGE Gen3 designs.

duckroll

Level 5 and Hino = BUSINESS FAILURES

Gundam AGE = LOL BOMBA FAILURE

duckroll is ROFLMAO

First week sales for Gundam AGE Vol1 Blu-ray = 1,991

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

/me bows

Hero

Level 5 and Hino = BUSINESS FAILURES

Gundam AGE = LOL BOMBA FAILURE

duckroll is ROFLMAO

First week sales for Gundam AGE Vol1 Blu-ray = 1,991

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

/me bows

I don't care too much if Gundam AGE bombs, I have 0 interest in it at all.

For comparisons sakes, do we have first week sales information available for Vol 1 of Gundam 00 or Gundam Seed / Seed Destiny?

duckroll

I don't care too much if Gundam AGE bombs, I have 0 interest in it at all.

For comparisons sakes, do we have first week sales information available for Vol 1 of Gundam 00 or Gundam Seed / Seed Destiny?

Sure.

SEED Vol1 - 58,589
SEED-D Vol1 - 68,732

00 Vol1 - 32,731
00 S2 Vol1 - 34,601

Westlo

Holy shit it has been that bad .
Say what you want about last few gundam tv shows but at least they had there fan base buying stuff .

Not to mention they were actually entertaining to talk shit about, Age is just boring in all aspects. Watching Destiny while trolling on internet forums made it an unforgettable experience.

Blader

You know, the only thing that bugs me about AGE Gen2 is that it's been like 25-30 years and they're still using the the same mechs. Like, not even same style mechs but literally these 25-30 year old mechs are still up and running and then magically once the show gets going in a few more eps everyone is going to have new mechs and technology. Doesn't make much sense. You'd think during each timeskip both sides would be developing more and more advanced mechs so you start the show with newer and beefier mechs everywhere.

We'll see how it goes, but going by the info out so far on mech upgrades for Gen 2 it almost seems like it's a transitional gen made to link the intro starting mech designs to the UC-like cool AGE Gen3 designs.

No, they're new mechs, just same style ones like you said.

Coxy

so about 1/10th of MS IGLOO the "obscure series no-one has heard of"
so can we have a big budget series of MS IGLOO now please? No? :(

The best gundam series is over rated? Well might as well kill the whole thing with AGE, shows over.

All the Gundam TV series have been mediocre to bad. Only real good Gundam has been the OVAs. Turn A is just highly overrated, it's same awful Tomino writing, contrived characters and situations. Great music and some fun mecha designs, but that' all. And Sochie makes me want to punch puppies.

Well I finnished Gundam 00 TV. Well you know what? It's pretty good all the way through.

I think since they have Seed HD running. I'll start my rewatch of that. I also start back up Age since people say Gen 2 may be good. Can I skip some episodes of Gen 1, like most of the colony stuff and just begin on episode 10?

All the Gundam TV series have been mediocre to bad. Only real good Gundam has been the OVAs. Turn A is just highly overrated, it's same awful Tomino writing, contrived characters and situations. Great music and some fun mecha designs, but that' all. And Sochie makes me want to punch puppies.

Someone has some unrealistically high standards...what shows are you watching that all the series are mediocre to bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom