• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember these two? When I saw their designs it was love at first sight, especially Hygogg, who I first saw in the old PSX game Gundam Battle assualt 2.
Too bad they did nothing in the show =(

Anyways, just wanted to show them off in two threads =p
The Hygogg had its moment to shine in War in the Pocket, and boy did it shine.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yes indeedy, though the AGE-2 vs Zeydra fight was awesome enough to make me smile,
especially the INAZUMAAAAAA KEEEEEEEEEEEEKU at the end.
Reminded me of Gunbuster, made me chuckle out loud.

Zeydra's a cutie, too. Wouldn't mind seeing a ver.Ka or a Fix Figuration of it someday.

Reminded me of Gunbuster, made me chuckle out loud.
Pshhh just like everyone else that lousy show is just ripping off the Red Comet.
4594%20-%20amuro_ray%20char_aznable%20char_custom%20dynamic_entry%20gundam%20kick%20mobile_suit_gundam%20quality%20zaku_ii.jpg

duckroll

AGE is such a terrible failure that I'm not even mad anymore. Hino can do whatever he wants while I laugh at his downfall, because I'm relieved that Sunrise will never do something like this again because of the epic disaster it turned out to be.

Beth Cyra

Dragon's in Gundam always come across as corny to me.

Epyon was the closest only to have the transformation be one of the worst in the franchise.

Outside of that every Gundam that has a dragon Motif has been bad, all that said that thing easily takes the cake as the worst.

Looks like something out of Pokemon/Mega Man.

Finally got to see a colored and up close picture of Epyon White the other day, I must say the color scheme really works well with that model. Makes me want to see Snow White and Warlock even more now.

At least the Epyon had a big ass sword that cut through a Space Station.

I don't know I really don't like Age so far. I gave it a chance. I didn't want to right it off because of just the character designs(which I still dislike), but Gen one was just incredibly boring to me. I don't really like the set-up, which just doesn't seem very Gundam to me. Even if the political aspects of Gundam shows are not what some would call "deep" I've still enjoyed them. The situation and how the UE behave just seems a little too silly. I can't get past that, it's just a barrier. They are the Jovain's of Nadeisco without all the charm and self awareness. I also just find everyone but the captain to be incredibly boring. Wolf was ok, pretty much a highlight because they made him more then just stereotypical arrogant person. And the mech designs are hardly at all exciting, nor have any of the battles.

I'll try watching Gen 2 at a later date, but it was almost a chore really to watch the end of Gen 1. It's not even that they show is bad. It's really in-offensive. It's no hilarious train wreck like Seed Destiny, but that was at least fun to watch that show self-destruct.

In other news, I'm actually on another re-watch of Gundam 00. I really like this show now. Think I'll re-wtach Seed or Zeta after. I do wish Turn A had come out as I would have re-watched that as well.

Blader

So how is gundam age? Got to eps 10 or so and got bored. I liked Flint... but all the other duders were pretty damn boring.

Picks up at the end of Gen 1 and then Gen 2 has been good so far. Gen 2 Flit is pretty boss.

Gundam AGE 21

Interesting development, with Asemu
NOT being an X-Rounder.

Beth Cyra

Just saw the Robot Spirits Wing Zero TV. Not really the hugest fan of that design anymore but I think I will pick it up since it seems so rare to see Bandai do anything with TV Zero an I already got Wing EW and Wing Zero EW RDs.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Finally got my laptop fixed, so time for more Gundam ZZ...

I'm surprised Double Zeta's already popped up by Episode 12, but damn was his debut transformation scene awesome. It looks a lot skinner here compared to the model in Gundam Dynasty Warriors 3, where its the bulkiest looking Gundam in the game.

12 episodes in, and I stand by my original opinion that this is far more entertaining than Zeta and the humor, while goofy and often childish, has honestly gotten me to legitimately laugh. Especially anything with Mashymyre. I'm glad they dumped Fa though, even if she improved a bit since Zeta, so now none of the original Zeta pilots are left to steal the spotlight from the new kids.

Gundam Age 22

Wow Flit totally owned the Vagan tactics and skill-wise. It also makes me wonder if he did some magic to his MS since he was able to keep up the fight despite the suit's age, and as for 23
well Grodek is back.

Blader

It's kinda funny that with all with the flak AGE gets, Flit (both young and adult) is the kind of Gundam protagonist that so many people have asked for.

Watch Da Birdie

It's about to make a turn in a few episodes, lose some of the lightheartedness.

I'm guessing you're referring to the complications with Leina and Glemy? Or does something darker happen later?

What did so many people asked for a protag?
I don't know about other people, but I'd always thought it'd be cool to have a more jingoistic Gundam protagonist for once (excluding Domon since it was more the genre that determined his character) to clash against the "war is hell" motif. You know, a young man who actually wanted to be a Gundam pilot.

Blader

What did so many people asked for a protag?

Doesn't whine about having to pilot/fight.
Doesn't adhere to adults = bad nonsense.
Defers to his elders.
Understands the need for fighting.
Legitimately wants to fight/defeat the Vagan because they're a threat.
Doesn't preach about understanding, war is bad, etc.
Isn't emotionally switched off.

He's probably one of the more practical, reasonable Gundam protags to date.

I'm guessing you're referring to the complications with Leina and Glemy? Or does something darker happen later?

I don't know about other people, but I'd always thought it'd be cool to have a more jingoistic Gundam protagonist for once (excluding Domon since it was more the genre that determined his character) to clash against the "war is hell" motif. You know, a young man who actually wanted to be a Gundam pilot.
I have to admit I think highly of domon in that regard.

Tookay

Defers to his elders.

Whoa, you might have sold me on actually checking AGE out. Was getting tired of all the blithering, blubbering main characters who lived in some fantasy version of warfare.

BearChair

So I am thinking about getting back into building Gundam. I'm looking into getting the MG Zaku 2.0 from HLJ with a set of gundam markers and a panel line pen in gray.

Does that sound like a good place to jump back into things for someone who built Gunpla in his teens and is looking for something that will take a while to build?

NEO0MJ

So I am thinking about getting back into building Gundam. I'm looking into getting the MG Zaku 2.0 from HLJ with a set of gundam markers and a panel line pen in gray.

Does that sound like a good place to jump back into things for someone who built Gunpla in his teens and is looking for something that will take a while to build?

Seems good, but why the gray panel lining pen?

speaking of Gunpla, I really want that MG Heavyarms. I'm holding out on a decked out one with more missile pods or maybe even the EW version though.

NEO0MJ

I thought they were good to have to outline the panel lines. Are they not necessary on MG kits?

Sure it's good. My comment was about the color. Why not black? Gray is used mostly on black model kits where a black pen wouldn't really help the details stand out.

speaking of Gunpla, I really want that MG Heavyarms. I'm holding out on a decked out one with more missile pods or maybe even the EW version though.

Waiting for an EW version myself. It's just not as cool without duel handed double gatling guns.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Gundam Age 22

Wow Flit totally owned the Vagan tactics and skill-wise. It also makes me wonder if he did some magic to his MS since he was able to keep up the fight despite the suit's age, and as for 23
well Grodek is back.

Still, I refuse to believe that the earth federation has to resort to using these moron kids as pilots. It's like they refuse to give the decent mobile suits to the adults.

Also, Asemo is a pretty shitty gundam pilot.

Wolf is still the best part of this show.

Waiting for an EW version myself. It's just not as cool without duel handed double gatling guns.

But that one giant gatling is kind of cooler looking than the two smaller ones.

NEO0MJ

The old one does get bonus points for looking bigger, meaner, and dificult to handle but duel wielding is so cool and I like to imagine those two gatling guns at gauntlets that it can use to punch opponents with and shoot their insides.

Divvy

eh, what? Aseumu has been a pretty great pilot since he appeared. He's just not better than Zeaheart

I don't think I've seen him do anything really useful aside from taking out some grunts in the last few episodes. Also him and Wolf just sitting there watching Flit fight and getting shanked by Zeaheart was pretty lol-worthy. This was a pretty good episode though. I just don't get why they have to make it worse by having pilots do really stupid things.

Defers to his elders.

Well if many people are being specific about what they dont want from a protag then surely Flit could probably end up as one of the most celebrated protagonist ever? But what do I know, imo the way Flit's character has been handled is pretty "safe". There's just something about him that doesn't really strike me in a way that makes him unforgettable compared to other protags.

Still, I refuse to believe that the earth federation has to resort to using these moron kids as pilots. It's like they refuse to give the decent mobile suits to the adults.

Also, Asemo is a pretty shitty gundam pilot.

Wolf is still the best part of this show.

The way I see it they are trying cater to the youngest demographics since it would be far more easier for kids to relate if the characters are young rather than adults, that is despite getting a 0% rating in that age bracket.

Divvy

The way I see it they are trying cater to the youngest demographics since it would be far more easier for kids to relate if the characters are young rather than adults, that is despite getting a 0% rating in that age bracket.

Well I think they'd be more successful if these kids weren't morons. I swear that was like the third time that kid of distracted in the middle of a fight and had to have someone else bail him out.

Watch Da Birdie

Gundam ZZ Moon-Moon Arc

I didn't get this arc at all. Why would a space colony, who presumably had been up there since the 2000s or so, revert back to some bizarre Aztec-style culture? This "ancient South American-style culture meets Gundam" thing worked a bit better in Turn A, but it was stupid there too.

Thank God it was only two episodes.

Gundam ZZ Moon-Moon Arc

I didn't get this arc at all. Why would a space colony, who presumably had been up there since the 2000s or so, revert back to some bizarre Aztec-style culture? This "ancient South American-style culture meets Gundam" thing worked a bit better in Turn A, but it was stupid there too.

Because Tomino.

Gundam ZZ Moon-Moon Arc

Remember Texas Colony in the original Gundam? Yea silly stuff happens in colonies

Blader

I don't think I've seen him do anything really useful aside from taking out some grunts in the last few episodes. Also him and Wolf just sitting there watching Flit fight and getting shanked by Zeaheart was pretty lol-worthy. This was a pretty good episode though. I just don't get why they have to make it worse by having pilots do really stupid things.

In his first fight, he was dual wielding the hell out of the Gundam.

Asemu has been a better pilot than Gen 1 Flit was, he's just getting his shit rocked by someone way better than him right now.

Well I think they'd be more successful if these kids weren't morons. I swear that was like the third time that kid of distracted in the middle of a fight and had to have someone else bail him out.

:lol, yeah there is that one kid who is constantly being saved by Woolf in almost the exact same manner every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom