• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jube3

To the Gunpla guys, Robot4less.com is having a 20% off Master Grade sale. I would shop around before picking something up from there since their prices can sometimes be higher than at other places ($15+ on some models). Their MG Marasai for example is 63 and its 55 elsewhere, although I've picked up some nice sales in the past using this combined with their free shipping for purchases over $100. They have also done 25% off sales in the past during the holidays, but again its best to shop around before committing. The checkout code is "645230".

I think I might pick up the MG Marasai and the MG Delta Plus.

Gundam UC vol. 5 showed up today in the mail. Going to the WA Brewer's Festival today, so maybe I'll get to watch it tomorrow as part of my Father's Day festivities.

Dambrosi

Banned
http://www.sunrise-anime.jp/news/gundam-age/

Lol. Official reveal of upcoming Gundam AGE designs:
Gundam AGE-FX is the 4th generation Gundam, while Gundam Regilus (?) is Veigan Gundam.
Gundam AGE-FX:
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx205/DashKrimson/01.jpg

LOL, what the fuck, it's like some nameless grunt suit from Super Robot Wars wearing some cardboard boxes and Nu's fin funnels as a dress. Also, bellbottoms lol. What are you, AGE-FX, a Zaku? :p

Compare that to the "fake" Vagan Gundam Regilus(?):
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx205/DashKrimson/02.jpg

...which looks more like a Gundam than the supposedly "official" Gundam does.

It reminds me of the differences between AkibaRanger and Go-Busters, by which I mean that the Akiba costumes look both better made and more traditional than the "official" Super Sentai series' offerings, despite AkibaRanger being a parody series about an unofficial Sentai team of delusional otaku fighting imaginary enemies!

Either way, when the fake looks better than the real deal, something is very wrong.

Blader

Why are you calling it a fake? It's from Sunrise's site and
upcoming episode synopses confirm that there's a Vagan Gundam.

Dambrosi

Banned
Why are you calling it a fake? It's from Sunrise's site and upcoming episode synopses confirm that there's a Vagan Gundam.
You'll see that I put "fake" in quote marks.

Or, what donkey show said.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx205/DashKrimson/02.jpg

This looks really good, almost like it could fit in with Turn A. They should have just used this design for the gundam in AGE. The FX sucks so much in comparison.
And yet, you know you'll see it blown to shit by the end of the series.

;__;
Actually, the Vagan designs (and the plot) fitting with Turn A has been bothering me. If they try shoehorning this series in as the Turn A prequel, there will be blood

Well it would have been nice to be surprised about the designs when they are revealed in the anime.
thisisneogafdude.gif

The Regilius is very unique ala Turn A. It it's new and different, but still has some Gundam-esque touches. This is the kind of Gundam I'd like to see in a a new series.

GS HD 26

Was interested in seeing how they were going to compress the two recap eps. and it was nice seeing them condensed like this.lol Anyway looking forward to the next episode since shit is going down the next two eps. and its also one of my favorite story arc endings in Gundam. =)

I made a beer (Poppy Seed's Citra Hop Pale Ale) to celebrate the birth of my daughter back in February, so my wife had custom pint glasses made for me to use when we make it next time around.

duckroll

Man, if only Gundam SEED HD looked as good as the promotional art they use in the end cards. :(

5hPkj.jpg

YvxO9.jpg

I would pay good money if they decided to make a Gundam SEED movie with art and animation which looked as good as that.

Edit: Let's not forget the original key visual too:

;_;

Hero

Man, if only Gundam SEED HD looked as good as the promotional art they use in the end cards. :(

I would pay good money if they decided to make a Gundam SEED movie with art and animation which looked as good as that.

Edit: Let's not forget the original key visual too:

;_;

Maybe in another 10 years or so for the anniversary. I wonder if the next generation of Japanese will look back and consider SEED highly much like most of us older folks prop up Universal Century.

Beth Cyra

Just saw the scans for the new Overworld game. Got to say they are really going all out which is nice.

Will finally pick this one up since they are including Ver Ka Early Types for Wing and I really want to see all the OOmsv units in the game. Even got Age and Age MSV in it, don't really care for that so much, but they are adding like everything for the game.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer

With seeing many gundam fans split on the movie, I was expecting something pretty not good. Fortunately that was not the case as 120 minutes of Setsuna F Seiei, 00 Raiser, Saji, and even
00 Quanta and Full Innovator Setsuna
, was actually pretty awesome and pleasing. Its like they made Setsuna have all the qualities of a perfect character, cool design, great voice, intense strong abilities, and even the best lines.

Visuals were exactly what I wanted with so many beams, lasers, beam swords, and explosions. It kind of makes me want even more Gundam 00. Now Im tempted to rewatch 00 all over again even though I just did it two months ago. 10/10, worth the $20 and made me wish the tv series was released in the US in full hd.

Beth Cyra

Well full lineart for Prometheus is out.

Got to say, while it's certrianly apart of the Heavyarms line, and I do wish they had changed more I'm happy overall. The chest design looks really good, remindes me alot of Katoki's work on Unicorn actually.

Also, while I loved the huge amount of Missles that Heavyarms Kai had, the added like 7 pannels is starting to boarder on excesive. The Gatling is awesome looking, don't know if it really is a good change from the Dual arm gatlings given I can't see how that huge thing would fire every barrel at once and be effective.

So he seems mainly built to look good, and at least for me he does that.

Edit: I just saw the GB of the FX, and man it looks awful. It's only a GB so I'm not to worried but each time I try to like an Age design it turns out to be not nearly as good as I had hoped.

GS HD 27

Nononono!!! Why did they have to change the fight in the end!? =O So now it was an
accident
? Really? WTF are they thinking? <_< Oh and a new ending song? River!!! ='(

Deadly

GS HD 27

Nononono!!! Why did they have to change the fight in the end!? =O So now it was an
accident
What did they change? And they removed River? Was the goddamn best song in for the show

Jubern

GS HD 27

accident

Fuck the lot of them, River was my favorite ED song :/

I don't see anything about the changes on /m/ and the episode still isn't live on Youtube, could you tell us about the changes?

The change was mostly about
how Nicol accidentally ran into the sword after missing the Strike's head while Kira was just dodging, in the original after Nicol missed, Kira countered with the sword and the beam portion was actually pointed at the cockpit of Blitz.
The whole thing and the events afterward actually made sense in the original, this time its like they are just trying to cleanse Kira of his sins. =T

Blader

how Nicol accidentally ran into the sword after missing the Strike's head while Kira was just dodging, in the original after Nicol missed, Kira countered with the sword and the beam portion was actually pointed at the cockpit of Blitz.
The whole thing and the events afterward actually made sense in the original, this time its like they are just trying to cleanse Kira of his sins. =T

:lol

Can't wait for Destiny HD to see how they
retcon Stella's death too.

duckroll

Wow. Fuck SEED HD.

Bebpo

Banned

lolol

Hahaha Jesus Yamato indeed.

Averon

Wow. That makes me despise Kira's character even more so.

AGE 37

So I guess we're going down the understanding each other route. I understand what they were trying to get at this episode, but when you spend the prior 36 episodes showing the Vegans as warmongering murderers (hell, the initial Earth invasion showed Vegan forces killing unarmed civilians), it's pretty hard to get the audience to buy into the sympathy card you're peddling now. I mean, that's a big leap to get people to buy.

Cloudy

Banned
Just saw Unicorn 5. It was great but with the amount of time between each ep, I forget what happened before lol

ps: Is it worth reading the manga?

massoluk

Banned
Well, that HD Gundam Seed change sounds like an absolutely pointless retcon. And yes, I agree, the new AGE Gundam design just screams generic Super Robot Wars grunt.

So I'm watching Z Gundam right now and just watched episode 31.
I love how Kamille pretty much falls in love with every single woman he has a conversation with.

Also, the emotional beats in this show are hilarious. People get so angry about every single thing.

"YOU MADE FUN OF MY LAST NAME?! HIJACK A GUNDAM AAAAAAHHH"

Absolutely loving it.

The Trans Am Raiser track is by far one of my most favorite Gundam hype tracks ever. Right up there with Gallant Char, G Gundam's battle theme, and Wings of a Boy Who Killed Adolescence.

I've been slacking on Gundam AGE lately. Just got through episodes 31 and 32 while my daughter was napping. Pretty cliched and trope-tastic, but I've come to expect that from Gundam TV shows.

Beth Cyra

Still waiting for the end of Age before I watch it.

I got to say I've been very down on the series, maybe unfairly so but the Understanding route that it "might" be taking just drives my disinterest even further. To be fair, Understanding isn't a bad thing, and I get wanting peace but for me this just never works in Gundam.

I didn't like it in Wing when they started fighting mobile dolls, I hated Kira in SEED/Destiny when he never killed people and I really disliked the preaching of Relena and Lacus about peace/not killing.

Hopefully the ending turns it around and people really like it, because at this point it will be as if I'm watching a pure concentration of the my worst aspects of like every Gundam ever combined.

Hear the music is good. Thank god for that.

Blader

All the talk about total peace in Wing never bothered me that much because the show was constantly making examples of why that doesn't work.

Age 37
tumblr_m653zeQDvl1ru928co5_500.png

Seeing things from the Vegan's perspective makes me feel a bit more for them. Now Im wondering how they can actually end this story peacefully.
Lord Ezelcant doesnt actually seem to be that bad of a guy nor the Vegan's so I wonder if he is also going through some peaceful solution, perhaps some political compromise can be met. Also how would they move all the Vegan's to Earth. I dont think he can last the six months so perhaps he can pass on the mission to Zehearto? It was touching and I hope Kio can do something about it

Gundam Seed HD 18

Of the three gundams Ive seen they really really focus on romance in this. Its almost as if its a dating game of who will end up with Kira. My preferred choice is just lef to fanfics and arts, but I hope
Flay some how ends back up with Sai, while Kira persues rekindling friendship with Athrun and goes with Cagalli, whom shocking is a girl, what even? Didnt see that reveal coming when she had the dress on, I was as shocked as Kira.

But fun episode even if I went mu la facepalm at Sai.

duckroll

All the talk about total peace in Wing never bothered me that much because the show was constantly making examples of why that doesn't work.

I kinda agree with this. The entire message that Wing had was that if you want "true peace" then you are either a) a stupid naive girl who can never really lead anyone, b) a crazy terrorist leader who has probably inhaled too much space dust. The main characters don't really give a fuck about true peace because they're all unhinged and abandoned children of war who happen to have weapons of mass destruction, they just want to do what they can with what they have. Heero Yuy is totally psychopathic, except he has the hots for the stupid naive girl who wants true peace, but he's insane so the only way he can tell her that is by reminding her that he will kill her. It's all round a pretty cool show because everyone is so crazy it's hard to take seriously, but the designs are badass, and it never tries to force a specific message down anyone's throat.

I kinda agree with this. The entire message that Wing had was that if you want "true peace" then you are either a) a stupid naive girl who can never really lead anyone, b) a crazy terrorist leader who has probably inhaled too much space dust. The main characters don't really give a fuck about true peace because they're all unhinged and abandoned children of war who happen to have weapons of mass destruction, they just want to do what they can with what they have. Heero Yuy is totally psychopathic, except he has the hots for the stupid naive girl who wants true peace, but he's insane so the only way he can tell her that is by reminding her that he will kill her. It's all round a pretty cool show because everyone is so crazy it's hard to take seriously, but the designs are badass, and it never tries to force a specific message down anyone's throat.
Best non-UC mobile suit designs by a far margin. I can't think of anything that comes close, because most show's grunt suits look like shit. Wing's grunts (Leos, Aries, Taurus, Virgo) are all awesome.

Tookay

Glad to see the Wing love. Yes, it was ridiculous and soap opera-y, but it had interesting characters and great mecha designs.

And, heck, even Relena admits in Endless Waltz that peace isn't something that's just handed to you; you've got to stand up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom