• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
X was doing badly before that, that's why it was moved to a different time slot.

X's ratings were still much higher than AGE's before it's move. Problem X had was that at the time Gundam series had a higher "standard" for it's ratings that had been dropping for years. After it's timeslot move, it took a big dive, and AGE is doing worse ratings than X had AFTER it's plunge.

No, I know why ratings and sales numbers are important to the company. What I'm wondering is why anyone else cares.

Turn A and G are two of my favorite Gundam shows; neither series performed well. Some people like Victory, some like X; neither of those shows were successful either. So what does it matter how well AGE is doing if people like it?

Because it's a gundam discussion thread? If you like the series that's fine, no one is saying you can't. No difference from the countless gaf threads about games/movies and their sales, which has no relation to people actually liking said media.

Speaking of AGE, the latest episode wasn't bad at all. Decent action and all that jazz with Kio using some X-Rounder radar magic. But like AGE in general, it wasn't too spectacular.

Beth Cyra

Going from some proper and occasional anecdotal evidence, SEED and Destiny had awful gunpla sales through most of the range when the show was first out. Though Kira's suits, I think, are some of the best selling kits of all time, so it balanced out. I imagine the new suits sell well.

00 gunpla sales were huge for an AU.

AGE gunpla is apparently selling decently, though not what Bandai hoped. This might be part of why AGE won't get straight-up axed. X had the worst gunpla sales of all time from what I've heard.

Wing also has done very well as far as sales go, well overall media. I'm not sure how well the Gunpla specific sales are but given the continued support for Wing from all forms of Bandai I would wager that it has performed well.

I hate it precisely because it's not good. :p

The only good things about SEED were Mu and some of the music, and Destiny did a nice job of shitting all over the former.

No, I know why ratings and sales numbers are important to the company. What I'm wondering is why anyone else cares.

Turn A and G are two of my favorite Gundam shows; neither series performed well. Some people like Victory, some like X; neither of those shows were successful either. So what does it matter how well AGE is doing if people like it?

Those haters include the show's own staff. :lol

Because alot of the ELSE people are really into Gunpla and the like. So sales and how popular alot of these things are could very well mean the difference between getting a Master Grade and Perfect Grade of every suit Jesus pilots or waiting 15 years and still never be given a GX.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I hate it precisely because it's not good. :p

The only good things about SEED were Mu and some of the music, and Destiny did a nice job of shitting all over the former.
SEED and Destiny were mostly shit yes.
I disagree on "some of the music" though, their OSTs were really great.

I'm still watching, but it's seriously lacking in almost every department. Mecha design globally sucks, the tone is all over the place (it really seems that they don't know what they are aiming at anymore) and the main story has back arching over and over due to the three generation thing, while this very element prevents long-term development from characters (except Flit, I guess).

On a more personal note, I was really disappointed to see the second gen end only a few episodes after it became really good. It felt terribly forced and I really couldn't get in the third gen until now.

Redeeming factors would be music (kinda) and battle choreography, which is often awesome.

Anyone still watching?
I'm still watching it and I dont know, the series just doesn't do anything for me I'm only watching it because its Gundam and it isn't a SD series.lol

Beth Cyra

Eeeeeeeh. While I never doubted Destiny performance, I'm pretty sure that saying the haters are a loud minority is too much. In Japan maybe, but among westerners? No way.

I have my doubts about it being any more then that even in NA.

As it stands, regardless of how well it did here, it still got people's attention and while SEED didn't do as well as Wing in NA it did still gather many fans for Kira/Athrun/Lacus/Cagalli and alot of those people did transfer over to it.

So even if it's hated, at least it got attention unlike UC here or AGE in Japan. So overall that is still a decent job compared to some of it's brother/sister meta series.

I have my doubts about it being any more then that even in NA.

As it stands, regardless of how well it did here, it still got people's attention and while SEED didn't do as well as Wing in NA it did still gather many fans for Kira/Athrun/Lacus/Cagalli and alot of those people did transfer over to it.

So even if it's hated, at least it got attention unlike UC here or AGE in Japan. So overall that is still a decent job compared to some of it's brother/sister meta series.
I just have to ask this but are you also that FalsePrime stirring shit up about Gundam AGE in suki and angering the fans of the show? lol

Beth Cyra

I just have to ask this but are you also that FalsePrime stirring shit up about Gundam AGE in suki and angering the fans of the show? lol

Hey that is a completely unfair take on what happened.

I only said that the characters and mecha design was terrible aside from Age 3 Normal/Orbital/Fortress. It wasn't my fault that Sunrise/Bandai hired Hino/Level 5 who did nothing but take a bunch of preexisting designs and make them worse for the most part.

Besides, I was a goddamn saint. I defended both G Gundam and Destiny over the AGE Designs. I never defend G or Destiny.

Beth Cyra

This show should really be renamed Gundam: Horrible Fathers.

How is it this series can have such shitty characters when they get older, and yet the one series it's most based on has a badass still piloting and helping the the new main character at 80 years old, and still in his original Gundam no less?

Gundam Age 34

The change in the OP hints at it...It got so epic. Finally they granted my wish this gen with
Asemu coming back and finally be actually epic for a non x-rounder, a super pilot. He has the coolest suit design this gen too!
. Nice action.

Gundam Seed HD 15

Fly to a new stage gundam! Fun episode on the battlefield, its almost like Kira is an X-rounder at least the way they presented one scene
when he went all serious to destroy the missiles targeting archangel

But romance in Gundam!?!
Flay was like naked in his room. I didnt think he liked her in that way to go that far with her, and then those random cut in scenes. Just why Flay
:/

Preview confirmed
Yzak is alive still, odd, cant wait to hear how they explain it in 16

Jube3

I'm pretty new to the Gundam franchise, so far I've watched Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, 08th MS Team, Char's Counter Attack and Unicorn. I liked 08th and Unicorn the most so far but I am unsure what to watch next, anyone have any recommendations? I like the more grounded style of 08th but I'm up for anything, I was leaning towards checking out 0083 stardust next.

Heres an update to the Kshatriya I started a few weeks back. All thats left to do is add the waterslides, stickers and to paint the funnels. This is my 4th unicorn kit (Rezel, Sinanju, Unicorn) and they've become some of my favorites both in looks and the build process. Excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.
7155349499_014f9f8e0f_b.jpg

Gundam Seed HD 16

Cut through it with your signature move, Gundam! Cagalli is a nice character. The romance aspect of this anime is so compelling. Poor Sai
I feel he may die by the end
. But it would be awesome if somehow
Flay didnt forever end up with Kira and someone else did, Cagalli?
. If I was in his situation Id be more focused on friendships though, Ahtrun plot.

Yzak is perfectly healthy? Impressive

Blader

I'm pretty new to the Gundam franchise, so far I've watched Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, 08th MS Team, Char's Counter Attack and Unicorn. I liked 08th and Unicorn the most so far but I am unsure what to watch next, anyone have any recommendations? I like the more grounded style of 08th but I'm up for anything, I was leaning towards checking out 0083 stardust next.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm only a casual Gundam fan, really, but I've been watching Sgt. Frog/Keroro Gunso on Netflix lately, and I'll be damned if I don't want to buy SO MANY GUNPLA now. :lol

That show does its job as a 22-minute Gunpla commercial REALLY well. :lol

Heres an update to the Kshatriya I started a few weeks back. All thats left to do is add the waterslides, stickers and to paint the funnels. This is my 4th unicorn kit (Rezel, Sinanju, Unicorn) and they've become some of my favorites both in looks and the build process. Excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.

WOW!!! That looks so awesome!

seipherzero

Neo Member
I'm a bit lttp on AGE, but I've almost caught up-- finished watching episode 30 last night.

I think the series is solid so far (I didn't like it up to Fardain and Don Boyage). The music, battles, and Asuno protags are all pretty good. One of my biggest peeves is probably the "slightly deformed" style of some of the characters, but in the end, it doesn't look out of place with the rest of the designs in the series.

I also like how I don't have to mentally tell certain characters to shut up. For example, while watching SEED Destiny, I was constantly saying to myself, "Dammit, shut up Shin!"

Philonius says I have to check my tastes, but AGE is shaping very nicely. I don't understand all the hate the show gets. It's nothing astounding but it's definitely not mediocre. With that said, My top three are still G, 0079, and Zeta.

Nice, I've seen mock ups with that color scheme on the Kshatriya and it's badass. It's my favorite suit from Unicorn.
And this.

Just watched Gundam AGE 34. Gundam: Horrible Fathers is such a proper description for this show like mentioned earlier, heh. I do like the Dark Hound though.

Blackheim

Dunno, I ordered from CDJapan and it was shipped on the 6th. Maybe their stock was shipped on the 6th instead of well in advance this go 'round?

Jubern

What's the hold up with Gundam Unicorn vol. 5 for North America? RightStuf still hasn't received their stock.

Maybe some troubles since Bandai Entertainment isn't around anymore? I know that Bandai Visual is supposedly handling the whole thing, but Bandai Ent. may have had some part in it.

We ran into a similar problem in France : BEEZ (Bandai Ent. for Euro Zone) France being forced to tag along with Bandai Visual and once they stopped doing so (and later closed) there just wasn't anyone anymore to help distribute and the only way to get the disk was to import. We could import from the UK and beside the back cover not being in French it virtually didn't change a thing, but still.

While I'm on the subject, Bandai Entertainement closing worldwide is a fucking disgrace. I guess anime isn't lucrative enough, but even now, almost a year after hearing whispers about BEEZ Fr closure, I almost can't believe a company with such a great catalog and huge mother-house could end like that.

It's also not available at Amazon US, but Amazon UK has it in stock. For some reason there is a delay on it being sent to North America and I'm sure it has to do with no physical distribution presence here.

I emailed Right Stuf to see if they can tell me anything.

X-Frame

In Gundam Unicorn Episode 5, what was
the green space magic? How did it come about and what did it do exactly? I couldn't really tell.

Tookay

Fuck you guys. That Digimon's awesome. Though I'm not sure what it's doing in a Gundam thread.

In Gundam Unicorn Episode 5, what was
the green space magic? How did it come about and what did it do exactly? I couldn't really tell.

Psycoframe in the Gundam is amplifying the Newtype powers/will of Banagher, the same way it did to Amuro.

It's also not available at Amazon US, but Amazon UK has it in stock. For some reason there is a delay on it being sent to North America and I'm sure it has to do with no physical distribution presence here.

I emailed Right Stuf to see if they can tell me anything.

Definitely interested to hear what you find out. I cancelled my AmiAmi order for this so I hope I'm still able to get it.

Gundam Age 35
tumblr_m5f9fnWEpg1ru928co1_500.png

EXA-DB plot is a bit more compelling than the present battle at hand, mainly, if it can involve Liel more, Captain Ashe, then it would be good. EXA DB Speculation:
Speaking of which, does that mean the Asano's designs also emanated from the EXA-DB, so essentially Vegan MS's are based on the same tech as Gundam?

Dont know what Kio is even thinking anymore his skills are so low in comparison to the other mains, even against Asemu. Bulky modifications for the Age-3, Orbital, arent good at all. Dont understand how bulkier form increases mobility. I wish the designs would get slimmer, increase wings, increase beam swords, while being faster more mobile and more powerful. Decent episode.

Oh on the plot itself
it would be interesting if Gundam was ever actually captured and they had to mount a rescue for Kio, though that would provide great implications for ever exploring the EXA-DB plotline

Definitely interested to hear what you find out. I cancelled my AmiAmi order for this so I hope I'm still able to get it.

Got a response:

We are anxiously awaiting this delivery also. I am pleased to advise we are targeted to receive multiple purchase orders this week and next week, to fill most of our awaiting customer orders. I am hoping your order will fill and ship within this week, but I cannot guarantee an exact ship date. You will receive an email when the shipping begins.

It's coming, but sounds like reallly slow distribution.

Good to hear...as long as it shows up eventually, I suppose.

Showed up as in-stock at RightStuf last night. Should be shipping sometime this week.

edit: My Amex was charged this morning, should get a shipping notice today. Looks like they had enough for pre-orders only, it's already out of stock again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom