• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having finally finished the original movie trilogy and Chars counterattack AND marathon-ed Unicorn 1-5 I can say

-I had no idea Seed was a sort of remake of the original series

-I have no Idea what the big deal is over CCA. The end fight was really great, but I guess since I came in straight from the original and skipped Z and ZZ I was disappointed that all the characters I was familiar with were swapped for ones I don't care about.

-The one hour episode format and the animations and the soundtrack could make Unicorn my all time favorite.

I'm also sort of sad that Bright's VA kept changing, but there really isn't a precedent for that sort of thing over here.

-I have no Idea what the big deal is over CCA. The end fight was really great, but I guess since I came in straight from the original and skipped Z and ZZ I was disappointed that all the characters I was familiar with were swapped for ones I don't care about.
Char was cool in Z, I haven't watched ZZ but something must have happened for him to turn out that way in CCA. =/

Tookay

I dunno, I thought it wrapped up the Amuro/Char rivalry pretty well.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member

I also think CCA is overrated. It added a bunch of characters I didn't give a damn about rather than drawing from the huge stock of existing characters. The changes to Char's character between Zeta and CCA also felt illogical. And was it really necessary to bring up Char's mother complex at the climax of the film? Even Amuro is like "What?"

You should try and watch Zeta, its one of the best UC shows. Just make sure you watch the series and not the movie trilogy, as the latter is not a good compilation on its own.

Droog

I also think CCA is overrated. It added a bunch of characters I didn't give a damn about rather than drawing from the huge stock of existing characters. The changes to Char's character between Zeta and CCA also felt illogical. And was it really necessary to bring up Char's mother complex at the climax of the film? Even Amuro is like "What?"

I can't recall if it was ever mentioned in this thread but I heard that the plot of CCA was originally going to be the final arc of ZZ. When Tomino got the go ahead for CCA as a theatrical release - that arc was cut out and adapted to be standalone which had the knock on effect that the end of ZZ had to be changed.

It seems reasonably plausible (if you've seen both ZZ and CCA) as it semi-explains the invention of all these new characters in CCA like Quess (a horrible version of an already fairly annoying character in ZZ) as well as the sudden introduction of a new but completely unknown protagonist in ZZ (who had to replace Char since he was suddenly cut out). I'd love to see some Japanese source material to confirm all this however.

P.S. I agree with that the changes to Char between Zeta and CCA seem really weird. Several of my Japanese friends love the CCA Char however. *shrugs*

Beth Cyra

I can't recall if it was ever mentioned in this thread but I heard that the plot of CCA was originally going to be the final arc of ZZ. When Tomino got the go ahead for CCA as a theatrical release - that arc was cut out and adapted to be standalone which had the knock on effect that the end of ZZ had to be changed.

It seems reasonably plausible (if you've seen both ZZ and CCA) as it semi-explains the invention of all these new characters in CCA like Quess (a horrible version of an already fairly annoying character in ZZ) as well as the sudden introduction of a new but completely unknown protagonist in ZZ (who had to replace Char since he was suddenly cut out). I'd love to see some Japanese source material to confirm all this however.

P.S. I agree with that the changes to Char between Zeta and CCA seem really weird. Several of my Japanese friends love the CCA Char however. *shrugs*

The worst thing that happened with ZZ and CCA creation was the forced use of Glemy in the later half of the show being largely at odds with how he is portrayed in the first half. Plus the show never is even able to build him up as a believable villian that he really needs to be.

I say this as a ZZ lover. Then again I'm weird and the only two UC series I like are ZZ and CCA.

Droog

The worst thing that happened with ZZ and CCA creation was the forced use of Glemy in the later half of the show being largely at odds with how he is portrayed in the first half. Plus the show never is even able to build him up as a believable villian that he really needs to be.

I say this as a ZZ lover. Then again I'm weird and the only two UC series I like are ZZ and CCA.

Yeah, Glemy's new role as villain stands out. I actually quite enjoyed ZZ too despite the notorious reputation it has. Some of the early episodes were a bit too rooted in slapstick for me but once Shangri-La got left behind it was pretty good. They never left some annoyances completely behind sadly (Beecha et al)...

Droog

"So... we have this new battleship called the Nahel Argama... Beecha, you be the captain!"

It says something about Axis/Neo-Zeon that despite getting a grip on the Earth sphere in spite of their internal struggles, they could still lose collectively to a single battleship crewed by junk collecting teens.

Gonna download when I get back.

In other news...

tumblr_m66s40DYv61qd21y8o1_1280.jpg

Wubby

Got lucky at a local Kanteidan (used goods shop). My jaw dropped when I saw this bundle of new B-Club kits on the shelf. Don't know how many of you are familiar with B-Club resin kits though.

Out of the plastic wrap...

Too scared to build them for now! Gonna see if there's anyone out there that would trade the extra Victory Gundam for a B-Club 1/100 Leo to go with the Aries and the inevitable MG Tallgeese.

Yeah that's about $2,300 worth of models.

Droog

Got lucky at a local Kanteidan (used goods shop). My jaw dropped when I saw this bundle of new B-Club kits on the shelf. Don't know how many of you are familiar with B-Club resin kits though.

*snip*

Nice haul! If you ever see a Zaku Kai B-Club kit and could get it for me I would *love you forever!* (I'd pay you back of course) My fave Zaku variant and I regret not getting the conversion kit when I had the chance a few years back...

NEO0MJ

Crazy number of kits, but as long as you picked up Turn X then it's OK(probably the only decent Turn X kit). When do you expect to finish them?

Wubby

Crazy number of kits, but as long as you picked up Turn X then it's OK(probably the only decent Turn X kit). When do you expect to finish them?

Not for a while probably. Lots of other things in the queue before I can get to these. But for the price they were asking for all I couldn't pass them up.

Tookay

I also think CCA is overrated. It added a bunch of characters I didn't give a damn about rather than drawing from the huge stock of existing characters.

See, I liked that (well not Quess) because it made the universe larger, and not that everything hinged on the same handful of people.

The changes to Char's character between Zeta and CCA also felt illogical. And was it really necessary to bring up Char's mother complex at the climax of the film? Even Amuro is like "What?"

While Char's reversion to pure villain is a little illogical (though I think it's basically an evolution of him to the point where he's fed up with everyone), I don't feel like his mother/woman complex is strange at all. Throughout the series we've seen his complicated relationship with women (sometimes manipulative and controlling, the other time warm and protective), but I think tying everything back to his insecurities and Lalah was a good decision. After everything he's been through and done, he's a psychologically screwed up character.

Beth Cyra

Too scared to build them for now! Gonna see if there's anyone out there that would trade the extra Victory Gundam for a B-Club 1/100 Leo to go with the Aries and the inevitable MG Tallgeese.

That is freaking crazy. I don't even own one B-Club kit and you snatch up thatmany including the X and Aries.

Nice haul.

GS HD 28

Well at least this time around
Tolle didn't accidentally crashed into Athrun's shield.lol
Anyway as for changes the one that stands out is the new animation for the fight, and speaking of standing out its so easy to spot the new scenes. Also added was more
blood on how Tolle's body was crushed by the Aegis' shield while his head went flying off.
Oh God I can only imagine episode 49! :O The scene with Murdoch in the hangar and Kira's reaction doesn't get old and this episode still is one my favorite ones in the series.

Averon

Age 38

Kio doomed Earth for some pills. Also, Asemu and his pirate buddies showed more competence against the Vegans in this episode than the entire federation has in the 75 years or so since this war started.

Gundam Age 39
tumblr_m6u615y2S71rogje2o3_400.gif

Gundam Legilis, Gundam Age 2, and G-Exes are probably my favorite ones in the anime. I think it possibly the best of the third gen in terms of not being all that bulky but still being fast, and having the best accessories. I wonder what new Earth forces suits will be developed in response.

Lord Ezelcant sama has some dedication and I really hope he survives long enough for his goal. Time is ticking on his life, though if he dies, would Zehearto assume the missions and still carry out attacks on Earth? With three destinies I wonder who will ultimately bring about the resolution. Also Asemu was quite good for being a non x rounder still, while Kio was pretty pointless though making a few strides.

wanders

I came across some cheap Gundams stuff. Any of you gaffers have the Age device thing? I wanna know some impressions before I pick it up. BTW I'm a Gundam newb; I just love Japanese toys especially if they're cheap :B

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Poor Orbital frame. Got like no screen time before it got totalled. I liked that one the most actually.

mingus

I came across some cheap Gundams stuff. Any of you gaffers have the Age device thing? I wanna know some impressions before I pick it up. BTW I'm a Gundam newb; I just love Japanese toys especially if they're cheap :B

"Age device thing"? If you be talking about AGE gunpla, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 gundams but AGE ain't one. As far as gundam models go, don't ever buy the first editions, which for AGE would be the "Advanced Grade" series. If you want AGE specifically, go with the High Grade ones since they have better detail. The ones released so far you can see here.

"Age device thing"? If you be talking about AGE gunpla, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 gundams but AGE ain't one. As far as gundam models go, don't ever buy the first editions, which for AGE would be the "Advanced Grade" series. If you want AGE specifically, go with the High Grade ones since they have better detail. The ones released so far you can see here.

Probably this:

10152199.jpg

S. L.

http://i.minus.com/jbugwzdQvNU0FJ.JPG[MG][/URL]

[URL=http://minus.com/lMCQC0rLQIKYA][IMG]http://i.minus.com/jMCQC0rLQIKYA.JPG

oh my, b-club
$$$$

isny

napkin dispenser
So I'm going through Seed HD and finding it way too fast paced. Way too much exposition has been cut. Am I the only one who feels this way? (Yes, less Flay is a good thing though...)

I'm thinking of just going to my DVD Seed set once I hit episode 29 or wherever the HD series is in the next few days. I'm at episode 25 so far and find it moving waaaaay too quick. I could see how it would be a better watch for first timers though.

duckroll

I thought the only things they actually cut out were the recap episodes... aren't the actual episodes the same other than the odd retcon change or reanimated scene here and there?

isny

napkin dispenser
I thought the only things they actually cut out were the recap episodes... aren't the actual episodes the same other than the odd retcon change or reanimated scene here and there?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong then? It just seems like enough is cut that it's moving along quicker. There's definitely less Flay though...

edit: Just popped in a DVD to see if as much was cut as I thought was and it defaulted to the English dub. Gawd that dub is horrible! The good news though is that it looks like it's mostly just really small bits cut.

I also just realized how much they cut out of the frame to fit it into WS, ugh, guess I'm going to watch the DVD's instead. You gain a small amount on the right side of the cel that wasn't there before, but they cut a good 10% of the frame on the top and bottom in order to give you 5% more on the side.

Hey everyone, just picked up this lil SD Red Astray kit..

Was wondering if anyone knew what these colors translated too in terms of the color codes you see on the paint markers and if they'd be under the name seed destiny or seed r or just seed with the markers such. I've been building a few kits recently but have only panel-lined and applied decals. I just want to be able to touch up this one since there is not a lot of detail in the parts and add a little of color here or there. If anyone could help me out that'd be awesome thanks!

P.S. first post woot!

Droog

Hey everyone, just picked up this lil SD Red Astray kit..

Was wondering if anyone knew what these colors translated too in terms of the color codes you see on the paint markers and if they'd be under the name seed destiny or seed r or just seed with the markers such. I've been building a few kits recently but have only panel-lined and applied decals. I just want to be able to touch up this one since there is not a lot of detail in the parts and add a little of color here or there. If anyone could help me out that'd be awesome thanks!

P.S. first post woot!

OK, I looked at the photo and this is what each colour translates as;

Gundam CG Red
Gundam Black
Gundam Eye Green
Gundam Grey
Gundam Sumiire (Thin) Black <- This will be the one for panel lines.

They can all definitely be bought separately under the Gundam Marker brand. There are some Seed/Seed Destiny marker sets out there but I don't know offhand if any of them include these exact colours. Hope this helps!

P.S. Welcome to GAF!

OK, I looked at the photo and this is what each colour translates as;

Gundam CG Red
Gundam Black
Gundam Eye Green
Gundam Grey
Gundam Sumiire (Thin) Black <- This will be the one for panel lines.

They can all definitely be bought separately under the Gundam Marker brand. There are some Seed/Seed Destiny marker sets out there but I don't know offhand if any of them include these exact colours. Hope this helps!

P.S. Welcome to GAF!

Thanks a bunch! Anything helps; it was only a $10 kit so I wanna experiment on this one before I do anything to my PG Strike Freedom..Would you know possibly if they make the same colors in different thicknesses also? The kit is so small a normal Gundam Marker may be too large.

And yea I've been lurking NeoGaf for a while now waiting for my activation for a few months, love the site, can find out info for bout anything on here :)

Edit: Nvm, found out some stuff durr...

wanders

Welcome W1cked!

Alright so I guess Amiami isn't as cheap as I thought well I mean shipping is killer! I'm just trying to get some cheap kits to get the hang of it.

Where do you guys buy your kits/any place for cheap kits? I don't mind advanced grades/first editions. They don't seem that bad mingus!

Edit: Sorry I'm new to model kits, gundam, etc.

Droog

Thanks a bunch! Anything helps; it was only a $10 kit so I wanna experiment on this one before I do anything to my PG Strike Freedom..Would you know possibly if they make the same colors in different thicknesses also? The kit is so small a normal Gundam Marker may be too large.

I'm not a great expert on Gundam Markers - I have used them a little but mostly for weathering rather than painting an entire kit. I do know that some markers have both thick and thin nibs at each end of the same pen but that might just be the Real Touch marker range... sorry, I'm in danger of overloading you with terminology!

I wouldn't worry too much ultimately about going over the edges using a marker but they do make a marker removal pen. Although the best to way to avoid mistakes (other than being careful) is to put down masking tape along edges, then it doesn't matter if you go over or not. (This is also a good way of painting on additional straight lines/stripes if you're doing custom paint jobs.)

It's good to experiment though - you can try a lot of techniques for the first time on your cheap kit and see what does/doesn't work for you. Then when you come to make that PG, you'll be that much more confident! I actually keep old sprues to test painting techniques with.

Droog

Welcome W1cked!

Alright so I guess Amiami isn't as cheap as I thought well I mean shipping is killer! I'm just trying to get some cheap kits to get the hang of it.

Where do you guys buy your kits/any place for cheap kits? I don't mind advanced grades/first editions. They don't seem that bad mingus!

Edit: Sorry I'm new to model kits, gundam, etc.

I think you're going to have to tell us where you are first. I'll agree that shipping prices from Japan sucks for the most part, the only reasonable choice (for me) is SAL usually even if it takes a fortnight for a parcel to arrive.

I'd recommend High Grades to cut your teeth on, they're a good combination of price, detail and articulation. Nearly every mobile suit you could be interested in is in this range too. Nearly.
No Gerbera Tetra yet - I still believe!

wanders

I'm in California, SF bay area to be exact. I'm ganna head to Japantown in San Francisco and see what they have but if you have any recommendations to any online shops domestic or from Japan let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom