• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
AGE 43

Nice action episode. Kio has become unbearable. "Please crazy, murderous lady. Join me and let us hold hands to stop the fighting!" Even Kira, in his most Jesus moments, wasn't this bad or annoying. Spriggan
dying
in this episode was seen a mile away. Her ONLY purpose was to show how "bad" the Feddies were, and that they're as nasty as the Vegans. Of course that falls flat when you find out that it was a traitor, not bad decision making, that was the cause for the test flight accident. That also undermines the whole premise of the Feddies being as bad an actor as the Vegans, which makes the previous episode nearly a complete waste of time. Also, it seems like the writers don't know what to do with Asemu. All he did was fly around the battlefield being totally clueless.

Also, shouldn't the Vegan population question why they didn't move back to Earth much sooner? This episode clearly showed that the Vegans could. I should think this would invoke some questions from somebody.

"Err, hey commander. If we could move this massive colony back into the Earth sphere, why didn't we do this sooner? I mean, we're dying from damn Mars Rays everyday! Shouldn't we get the hell away from Mars ASAP since we clearly can if we wanted to?"

Total agreement. Holy shit Kio, why are you even here? This show is like a parody of Gundam without being aware of it.

blind51de

Banned
I am starting to consider whether Kio's BS is just being mocked by the showmakers at this point. It's accomplished nothing.

The X-Rounders (and Asemu) just cancelled each other out while Seric and Algreus won the battle.

Beth Cyra

Total agreement. Holy shit Kio, why are you even here? This show is like a parody of Gundam without being aware of it.

God. I can't wait to get this series on DVD one day, I only pray it comes to America. This might be the single greatest thing I've ever scene when I marthon this show.

LOL @ Asemu not being invited to the magic space energy party.

I've been wondering, is he supposed to be like this universe's Heero/Domon/Kira? By that I mena extremely skilled and intellegent pilot that can probably stand up with everyone else but lacks Newtype powers?

Or is he really just some chump that gets left outside the party looking in?

Divvy

I've been wondering, is he supposed to be like this universe's Heero/Domon/Kira? By that I mena extremely skilled and intellegent pilot that can probably stand up with everyone else but lacks Newtype powers?

Or is he really just some chump that gets left outside the party looking in?

Uhhh well, if the writers were half-competent he would be I guess. Kira had uber newtype powers though. Asemu is just kind of a walking plot device right now, he only accomplishes things because the story requires him to, otherwise he's just floating around in the background. He only seems skilled because everyone else is such a moron.

The whole thing is a mess. Three episodes centered around this new character that has never appeared before, pilots probably the most butt-ugly mobile suit ever made, and is all in alll an ass. What the fuck.

Beth Cyra

Uhhh well, if the writers were half-competent he would be I guess. Kira had uber newtype powers though. Asemu is just kind of a walking plot device right now, he only accomplishes things because the story requires him to, otherwise he's just floating around in the background. He only seems skilled because everyone else is such a moron.

I was talking more Kira from SEED then SEED Destiny, he didn't really have Newtype powers in SEED. His cord stuff was balanced out by Heero's gene splicing or whatever nonsense and Domon's Dragon Ball Z power up.

Still it really seems like Asemu from stuff i've read is really the lone character that seemed to have a shot at being decent (I would say Wolf as well actually) but he is surronded by two are what quite possible the single worst characters ever created in Gundam.

Divvy

I was talking more Kira from SEED then SEED Destiny, he didn't really have Newtype powers in SEED. His cord stuff was balanced out by Heero's gene splicing or whatever nonsense and Domon's Dragon Ball Z power up.

Well no, Asemu is really not very important right now aside from plot device reasons. None of the stuff he's done has been anywhere near as impressive as Heero and Domon's feats.

Beth Cyra

Well no, Asemu is really not very important right now aside from plot device reasons. None of the stuff he's done has been anywhere near as impressive as Heero and Domon's feats.

Oh.

Yeah this is going to be fucking amazing. I'm so going to have a six pack and munchies when I put the first DVD in.

PhiLonius

Stopped watching AGE a few episodes back. Wasn't liking it much before, and then it just seemed to get worse and worse.

Glad I'm not missing much.

blind51de

Banned
I thought this too. I figured if I suffered and lasted through Victory, I could get through this too. I was wrong.

The thing about Victory is that Uso is a far stronger protagonist than most in any Gundam series, and he actually acts more like how a 12 year old boy would. Instead of spouting ridiculous rhetoric about understanding, he uses lethal force when forced to (even though he doesn't want to). Wings of Light is also purely destructive and not turned into a benevolent superweapon.

Dambrosi

Banned
OO killed this for me.

Maybe after I watch AGE all the way through I will finally be able to find something to like about OO.
No, friend. The whole second season of 00 is still far worse than anything AGE can now throw at us.

Unless Kio starts farting magical rainbow stardust trails of LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING against a bunch of manned suicide mecha, in which case they'd be about equal.

That movie tips 00 over the edge
into the abyss
, though.

Jubern

OO killed this for me.

Maybe after I watch AGE all the way through I will finally be able to find something to like about OO.

No, friend. The whole second season of 00 is still far worse than anything AGE can now throw at us.

Unless Kio starts farting magical rainbow stardust trails of LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING against a bunch of manned suicide mecha, in which case they'd be about equal.

That movie tips 00 over the edge
into the abyss
, though.

I'll never understand the people with the hate for 00 S2+movie.
Not liking them is one thing and I can understand it, I also think it was weaker than the really nice surprise S1 was, and thus kind of a letdown.
But shitting nonstop on it and suggesting its worse than AGE ?! Mind-bogging to say the least.

Beth Cyra

I'll never understand the people with the hate for 00 S2+movie.
Not liking them is one thing and I can understand it, I also think it was weaker than the really nice surprise S1 was, and thus kind of a letdown.
But shitting nonstop on it and suggesting its worse than AGE ?! Mind-bogging to say the least.

Actually I don't hate Season2 or the movie (well from what I've seen of the movie it looks stupid as hell) I actually dislike Season 1. I have the problem with Setsuna that most have with Heero and I don't sympathize or buy into the character at all.

At least with Heero he really felt like a fucking phychopath at first who enjoyed the killing so it when it was revealed he was a child soldier I could see why he was so messed up. Setsuna at least for the first bit of OO is just an unlikable douche bag that I couldn't give two shits about.

Been watching Gundam 00
I am rooting against Celestial Being/Gundams.

Watched 6 episodes so far and I am really liking it.
Disliked the Gundam designs at first but Exia is growing on me.

Droog

At least you can always brag about how the latest series is "not as bad as watching AGE every week".

I've oft wondered where you got that Avatar pic and today I found out! I'm sorry if this has been posted before but a quick search yielded nothing so here it is!

Gundam 0079: The War for Earth

It's a Gundam FMV game from the PS1 era rendered in CGI except for the pilots who all seem to be English speaking actors. Their pronunciations are bad too but please judge for yourself as you see the evil Principality of John and their Zack mobile suits attack Side 7!

I'm guessing this predates G-Savior?

I've oft wondered where you got that Avatar pic and today I found out! I'm sorry if this has been posted before but a quick search yielded nothing so here it is!

It's a Gundam FMV game from the PS1 era rendered in CGI except for the pilots who all seem to be English speaking actors. Their pronunciations are bad too but please judge for yourself as you see the evil Principality of John and their Zack mobile suits attack Side 7!

Oh man, "Jean," Char and Bright... So bad, but so good.

It really is amazingly hammy. The pronunciations aren't really that far off though.

PhiLonius

Char's mask looks like its made out of construction paper lol.

Leezard

Which of the Gundam Musou/Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games is the best? I'm not planning to get any DLC.

Personally, I enjoyed game 3 the most. It requires way less grind than game 2 if you want to play several different pilots/you want to use different mecha. For example: in game 2 you have to acquire a pilot license for each mecha for each pilot, where in game 3 you get the license for all pilots if you get it for once. In game 3, you can use ingame money to level up and learn skills as well, while you had to grind for them in game 2.

Droog

It really is amazingly hammy. The pronunciations aren't really that far off though.

It sounds like they were probably given the direct katakana translations but not the knowledge of how to say them so they're like a middle ground between both the Japanese and English versions.

Personally, I enjoyed game 3 the most. It requires way less grind than game 2 if you want to play several different pilots/you want to use different mecha. For example: in game 2 you have to acquire a pilot license for each mecha for each pilot, where in game 3 you get the license for all pilots if you get it for once. In game 3, you can use ingame money to level up and learn skills as well, while you had to grind for them in game 2.

Yeah I agree, DWG3 is probably the best one to go for in terms of characters/suits and ease of unlocking them. None of the Character DLC is essential either but some are nice to have (Kshatriya!). DWG2 is a horrible grindfest and the criteria for unlocking missions/characters just feels so random at times. Grinding to make all the characters like you was interminable and I gave up in the end as life just felt too short.

It sounds like they were probably given the direct katakana translations but not the knowledge of how to say them so they're like a middle ground between both the Japanese and English versions.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was actually what happened. The game came out in '96 so it was caught between the MSG novels coming out in English and Wing so Zak and Jion and whatever kinda make sense.

Yeah I agree, DWG3 is probably the best one to go for in terms of characters/suits and ease of unlocking them. None of the Character DLC is essential either but some are nice to have (Kshatriya!). DWG2 is a horrible grindfest and the criteria for unlocking missions/characters just feels so random at times. Grinding to make all the characters like you was interminable and I gave up in the end as life just felt too short.
Okay, 3 it is then. Thanks.

Dambrosi

Banned
Been watching Gundam 00
I am rooting against Celestial Being/Gundams.
See? This is never a good sign. I'm of the firm belief that the production crew made Season 2 and the movie as a reaction to people like myself and Razgriz, trying to force us to root for the designated heroes by making the antagonists, bar a few, utterly and cartoonishly evil. You see some of the same thing in AGE, with the Feddies being slightly corrupt, but mostly good, and the Vagan doing all the bad shit. It's almost like a form of propaganda, and I don't like being manipulated.

Jubern

See? This is never a good sign. I'm of the firm belief that the production crew made Season 2 and the movie as a reaction to people like myself and Razgriz, trying to force us to root for the designated heroes by making the antagonists, bar a few, utterly and cartoonishly evil. You see some of the same thing in AGE, with the Feddies being slightly corrupt, but mostly good, and the Vagan doing all the bad shit. It's almost like a form of propaganda, and I don't like being manipulated.

Are you seriously comparing the geopolitical situation of 00 S1 to AGE's? You realize how insane this is, right?

Yeah, I actually liked the Union and AEU and wanted them to team up early on.
When they all did
it was pretty cool. season 2 turns them straight evil and not just gray anymore. though besides Lockon most of my favorite characters are on that faction.

Ezalc

I'm watching Gundam F91 and this sortie music sounds suspiciously like the Star Wars Imperial march....

EDIT: Jesus christ I have no idea what is going on in this movie.

Gundam Wing 44 - 49 (end)
Really amazing. I struggle to find anything that I disliked about it beyond Relena's initial presentation and voice acting showing but
when she finally actually rose to power and contributed to some interesting moments with Dorothy for awhile and at least made Heero seem somehwat sentimental at times, I was kind of thinking she ended up being somewhat decent
. Thus far my favorite protagonists and story of the Gundams Ive seen, with Duo, Quatre, and Heero being my favorites. Wufei was alright but a bit too much of an on his own type of guy and Trowa was just Trowa, just the happy medium normal type of guy. The chemistry between the Gundam pilots was great whenever two of them interacted and when there four or five they were really memorable. They are all such great friends and really Quatre or Duo with everyone else was the highlight. Duo had the best personality, Heero with the best MS skills, Quatre for excellent strategy and ability to round them all up, Duo for best MS and nickname (God of Death, Deathsythe), and Trowa for best support. Everyone bonding with the Gundams was well done and even trusting in them too. Triez and Zechs were also good and delivered on the type of storyline with best friends fighting that I like for stories to have as they always make for really emotional and intense dramatic moments and both characters always had great lines and philosophical speeches
and thank goodness for Triez's development of mobile suits and taking part in fighting as well as Zechs rise to power on the frontlines of space
. Noin and Une were definitely really well done and a valuable asset to have for all times in the anime too, so I must commend them.

Plot
It seemed every group of 10 episodes got better and better. The best was the constant shift in who the enemy was with it being the Alliance, then Oz, then Romefeller, then White Fang, then all, and how the leaders shuffled out to lead to the ultimate match up with Libre and using it against Earth, just the final nine episodes had me on edge as they threatened to destroy the world and all armed weapons. Whoever wrote this did a good job with both characters, suspense, and drama, especially once the 20's hit

Thanks to anime channel/bandai for having it all on youtube and keeping the comments enabled, there were some really hilarious comments (and spoilers :( )...but it was entertaining. And I guess I will now check out Endless Waltz...and then browse those 40000 gundam wing fanfics, and what in the world is Frozen teardrop?

Beth Cyra

Gundam Wing 44 - 49 (end)
Really amazing. I struggle to find anything that I disliked about it beyond Relena's initial presentation and voice acting showing but
when she finally actually rose to power and contributed to some interesting moments with Dorothy for awhile and at least made Heero seem somehwat sentimental at times, I was kind of thinking she ended up being somewhat decent
. Thus far my favorite protagonists and story of the Gundams Ive seen, with Duo, Quatre, and Heero being my favorites. Wufei was alright but a bit too much of an on his own type of guy and Trowa was just Trowa, just the happy medium normal type of guy. The chemistry between the Gundam pilots was great whenever two of them interacted and when there four or five they were really memorable. They are all such great friends and really Quatre or Duo with everyone else was the highlight. Duo had the best personality, Heero with the best MS skills, Quatre for excellent strategy and ability to round them all up, Duo for best MS and nickname (God of Death, Deathsythe), and Trowa for best support. Everyone bonding with the Gundams was well done and even trusting in them too. Triez and Zechs were also good and delivered on the type of storyline with best friends fighting that I like for stories to have as they always make for really emotional and intense dramatic moments and both characters always had great lines and philosophical speeches
and thank goodness for Triez's development of mobile suits and taking part in fighting as well as Zechs rise to power on the frontlines of space
. Noin and Une were definitely really well done and a valuable asset to have for all times in the anime too, so I must commend them.

Plot
It seemed every group of 10 episodes got better and better. The best was the constant shift in who the enemy was with it being the Alliance, then Oz, then Romefeller, then White Fang, then all, and how the leaders shuffled out to lead to the ultimate match up with Libre and using it against Earth, just the final nine episodes had me on edge as they threatened to destroy the world and all armed weapons. Whoever wrote this did a good job with both characters, suspense, and drama, especially once the 20's hit

Thanks to anime channel/bandai for having it all on youtube and keeping the comments enabled, there were some really hilarious comments (and spoilers :( )...but it was entertaining. And I guess I will now check out Endless Waltz...and then browse those 40000 gundam wing fanfics, and what in the world is Frozen teardrop?

Frozen Teardrop is a Story sequel to Endless Waltz that both finishes off the uncompleted Preventer 5 storyline and actually creates a brand new timeline in Mars Era.

What makes Frozen Teardop interesting is it is by a writer by the name of Sumizawa and he also wrote Episode Zero as well as part of Wing Anime. Thing is he was actually removed from the Wing Anime about half way through, the exact reasons for his depature seemed to have been muddled over time. Most of the time I've seen it discussed it was that he was forcefully ejected from the Wing anime.

His depature as well as Wing's famous small budget lead to it being partly famous for how troubled the project actually was.

Glorly of the Losers is being written in time and using Katoki designs (like Endless Waltz and Frozen Teardop, infact Glory carries the subtitle Endless Waltz) and is/was planned to follow all the way from Wing Anime (which it has done a great job and improved on multiple things I might add) all the way to the end of Frozen Teardrop.

Aside from all that. Just bought AGE-2 Normal MG, not going to have it shipped until next month when I pick up Wing Gundam TV MG. I got to say I really like the hold system HLJ has. Hated it at first but I'm really starting to come around.

I liked Season 2 and the movie.

Although Mobile Suit Gundam 00 was my first Gundam series.

I wasn't aware of the other Gundam series at that time.

Jube3

Any recommendations on what to watch next? So far I've watched and liked MSG, Zeta, 08th MS team, Unicorn, Chars counter attack, 0080 and Stardust memory (the last two thanks to previous thread recommendations). I've just wrapped up Wing and thought it was ok, didn't hate it or love it. I was thinking of starting seed next, can I get away with watching the 3 movies or should I watch the series?

On to gunpla stuff, I took apart the MG Rezel I built a few months ago because I was unhappy with how the kit looked stock, so I changed it to a khaki/desert color scheme. I'm happy with how its coming out, just need to pick up some more paint tomorrow. Frame is painted gunmetal.

2a54e2f4e47311e192a722000a1e8b14_7.jpg

PhiLonius

Any recommendations on what to watch next? So far I've watched and liked MSG, Zeta, 08th MS team, Unicorn, Chars counter attack, 0080 and Stardust memory (the last two thanks to previous thread recommendations). I've just wrapped up Wing and thought it was ok, didn't hate it or love it. I was thinking of starting seed next, can I get away with watching the 3 movies or should I watch the series?

Since you've watched MSG and Zeta, I would say check out ZZ.

Jubern

Movies are only okay if you already saw the series. They cut way too much stuff and the editing is pretty terrible.

It's a good refresher if you don't want to rewatch the entire series and the new animation is really nice, but you just CAN'T begin with the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom