• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Honestly I kinda hope not. Granted Crossbone will be more welcome then an AU sequel but given Unicorn and eventually Origin we've got enough UC on our plates for a good few years.

So now it's time for G to return! Wooooo! Speaking of which I should get around finishing the extra Crossbone Mangas.

Hibernation? Wut? Turn-A to SEED was just 2 years. SEED Destiny to Gundam 00 was also 2 years. Gundam 00 S2 to AGE is also 2 years. I expect that the next Gundam TV series will probably air in 2014. It won't be hibernation, just the normal cycle of development for the next series.

Never really considered Turn A as regular TV show for some reason, guess because I thought it was put on a more limited premium broadcast, it also seemed alot longer of a gap than just two years. Guess Gundam will be pretty die hard at this point.

Ezalc

I'm just thankful that every sign points to their being more heritics.

209691d1343598168-motogp-round-10-laguna-seca-07-29-2012-spoilers-boo_this_man.gif

That goes for all you heathens.

isny

napkin dispenser
If that SEED movie ever gets out of development hell then you might get your wish...

Did Rie Tanaka stop acting when she got married a few months back? As much as I'd love for more Seed I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever get a movie. (Especially with how unhappy with Destiny some of the VA's were)

Dram

Did Rie Tanaka stop acting when she got married a few months back? As much as I'd love for more Seed I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever get a movie. (Especially with how unhappy with Destiny some of the VA's were)

Were they unhappy the same reason people who watched were, or was it something else?

duckroll

Never really considered Turn A as regular TV show for some reason, guess because I thought it was put on a more limited premium broadcast, it also seemed alot longer of a gap than just two years. Guess Gundam will be pretty die hard at this point.

Turn-A aired on FujiTV, so it's pretty much a regular TV show. Gundam has been on regular 2 year cycles between shows for a long time now.

Gundam X = TV Asahi, April 1996 to Dec 1996 (cut short)
Turn-A Gundam = FujiTV, April 1999 to April 2000
Gundam SEED = MBS, Oct 2002 to Sept 2003
Gundam SEED Destiny = MBS, Oct 2004 to Sept 2005
Gundam 00 = MBS, Oct 2007 to Mar 2008
Gundam 00 S2 = MBS, Oct 2008 to Mar 2009
Gundam AGE = MBS, Oct 2011 to Sept 2012

Before this, modern cycle started, Victory Gundam, G-Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam X aired continuously on TV Asashi for 4 years. Victory started in April 1993, and when it ended, G-Gundam started after that. When G-Gundam ended, Gundam Wing started, and when Wing ended, Gundam X started. This probably also contributed to Gundam X's low ratings since there would be serious franchise fatigue at this point.

Before Victory, there was a huge gap after Gundam ZZ ended in 1987. 6 years without any Gundam on TV because Sunrise at that time was experimenting with alternative formats like OVAs and movies. During this gap they released stuff like 0080, 0083, CCA, F91, etc.

Roux Louka part 2. Win win for everyone!
I still haven't seen ZZ, so I won't comment on the annoyinngness of the characters
yet
. I'm hoping Haman makes up for the rest of the series, but we'll see.

Can we just count Loran as a girl? Seriously, he was an awesome lead. I actually really liked Socie too, but she never got to do anything interesting.

Honestly, how hard is it to just give a sane chick a fucking Gundam that isn't gimped to hell and back?

Given how awesome Marida is, I'd love for Gundam to buck the trend and have a female protagonist ala Final Fantasy XIII.

Well perhaps that was a poor comparison, but it'd be great nonetheless.

Jubern

Well, it IS Mikimoto. I hate how he left the series unfinished to (I suppose, since the timing matches up) go work on Macross First though.
Publication never went pretty fast, but three years between volumes 11 and 12 is ridiculous when you're *that* close to the end. Probably killed the publication in France, since it supposedly didn't sold that well in the first place :/

Anyway, I love me some GM Canard and even the Cygne.

Ezalc

This reminds me, what's some good Gundam manga? I already read through Blue Destiny, the main Crossbone one (currently reading through Steel 7 and Ghost), and I read Lost War Chronicles. All have been pretty awesome, though I wish Blue Destiny had been longer.

Jubern

The Origin is a must read if you like the original series, but I don't think it's fully available in English. If you didn't read Ecole du Ciel, that too, even if it's left unfinished. The ongoing remake of Wing, "Glory of Losers" is REALLY nice too, and Deacon's gang is making each chapter available real quick.

I *think* that Char's Deleted Affair has been fully scantrad'd, but it never hit me as something really interesting, for some reason. Don't like it's follow up (Zeta Define) much either.

If you're ok with something less serious, Gundam Sousei (fictional depiction of original series' making) and Ganota no Musume (life of office lady crazy about MSG and Zeon and particular) are must read and fully translated.

The Origin is a must read if you like the original series, but I don't think it's fully available in English. If you didn't read Ecole du Ciel, that too, even if it's left unfinished. The ongoing remake of Wing, "Glory of Losers" is REALLY nice too, and Deacon's gang is making each chapter available real quick.

I *think* that Char's Deleted Affair has been fully scantrad'd, but it never hit me as something really interesting, for some reason. Don't like it's follow up (Zeta Define) much either.

If you're ok with something less serious, Gundam Sousei (fictional depiction of original series' making) and Ganota no Musume (life of office lady crazy about MSG and Zeon and particular) are must read and fully translated.
Gundam Origin is coming out in America officially starting in march, complete with badass hardcover books with color pages. Vertical deserves your money.

I don't think CDA has finished being scanlated, but it's pretty awesome if you like Haman.

Gundam Sousei is hilarious. Ditto to Gundam-san, although that's a bit more hit or miss.

Oh, and I haven't gotten around to it yet, but everyone says Crossbone is the best thing ever. Pirate gundams. They certainly look cool.

Ezalc

Yeah I plan on reading Ecole du Ciel after seeing this little discussion about it. Also saw a manga about Johnny Ridern, is it good?

I wish more manga was translated, there are mangas of G Gundam like 7th Fight that even though probably being a bunch of Cheese I would love to read. Also found some manga on F90/91 gundams that should be fun too.

Oh, and I haven't gotten around to it yet, but everyone says Crossbone is the best thing ever. Pirate gundams. They certainly look cool.

Dude, Crossbone Gundam is amazing. Get on that junk right now. Tobia is pretty much one of the biggest Boss protags in Gundam history.

Yeah I plan on reading Ecole du Ciel after seeing this little discussion about it. Also saw a manga about Johnny Ridern, is it good?

I wish more manga was translated, there are mangas of G Gundam like 7th Fight that even though probably being a bunch of Cheese I would love to read. Also found some manga on F90/91 gundams that should be fun too.

Dude, Crossbone Gundam is amazing. Get on that junk right now. Tobia is pretty much one of the biggest Boss protags in Gundam history.
It's next on my list once I feel like reading some manga again. I wish book-off had more Gundam stuff, I'd just get it and try to read it raw.

My reading comprehension is not the best right now, I didn't even notice you said you'd read it. Haha.

54-46!

Uso really is a shit pilot, fucking terrible.. I've lost count of how many parts of Victory he wastes every episode.

"Oh no, I'm in trouble! HERE, EAT MY BOOTS!"

Droog

Also saw a manga about Johnny Ridern, is it good?

I was reading "The Return of Johnny Ridden" when it was being printed in Gundam Ace and I enjoyed what I read. It helps if you're a fan of MSV (Mobile Suit Variations) as the series pretty much revolves around these. Looks like I'm going to have to buy Volume 4 if I want to see how it ends though as Gundam Ace doesn't seem to be covering it anymore.

I'd recommend Lost War Chronicles if you've never read that and also it's follow-up, Gundam Legacy. Gundam Legacy also ties in with Gundam Thoroughbred which was a nice surprise!

Pollux

I usually just lurk in this thread, but, remake of Wing?

Ezalc

I was reading "The Return of Johnny Ridden" when it was being printed in Gundam Ace and I enjoyed what I read. It helps if you're a fan of MSV (Mobile Suit Variations) as the series pretty much revolves around these. Looks like I'm going to have to buy Volume 4 if I want to see how it ends though as Gundam Ace doesn't seem to be covering it anymore.

I'd recommend Lost War Chronicles if you've never read that and also it's follow-up, Gundam Legacy. Gundam Legacy also ties in with Gundam Thoroughbred which was a nice surprise!

I read Lost War Chronicles, it was really good. I didn't know there was a follow up to it though, I'll definitely check that out.

glaurung

Yup. It's a manga that's actually pretty good. Cuts out filler and adds some scenes that make the story more coherent. Plus redesigns of the Gundams with some additions that work.
Whoa! Wing was always my secret favorite in terms of characters, while Seed and OO win in terms of suit design.

Can we have some pictures of these remodeled suits in new Wing?

Droog

I read Lost War Chronicles, it was really good. I didn't know there was a follow up to it though, I'll definitely check that out.

Just remembered, Gundam Legacy also features characters from the Midnight Fenrir Team/Zeonic Front in case you needed more reasons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom