• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

So what are the best Gundam shows according to Gaf?

Best to me probably isn't my favorite.

I would say thus far the two best Gundams are Char's Counter Attack and Unicorn for overall quality.

Worst would be a tie between G Gundam/Destiny/OO.

To be completely honest though I haven't watched 08th Team/Igloo/AGE/ or Awakening of the Trailblaizer.

Favorite would be Endless Waltz partly for the amazing mecha design and then for Music which I think it has probably the best in both.

I wish they gave 00 a better OP and ED songs. I dont even remember them while for other Gundam I still remember the songs, like the 1st and 2nd OP for Gundam Seed, and the 1st ending song for Seed, the OP for Wing (retro though good), and most for Age.

Favorite Gundam: Age or Wing (well thus far, if it doesnt fall off)

Ireally can't wait to hear your reaction once you hit mid twenties of Wing. It gets pretty divided around that time when two filler episodes hit and then the pacing and flow depending on who you are either gets alot better or gets alot worse.

This is around the time Sumizawa was removed from the series (if I remember right) and you can really feel his absence.

Beth Cyra

Where do you guys buy your Gunpla from? And which is better? RG or MG?

Deepnds largely on what scale you prefer. If you like 1/100 then MG, if 1/144 RG.

Overall the RG's are probably better then I would say most stuff from before 2008. However even as great as the RG's are most MG's even more so from after 2010 are just flat out amazing so I would say they are "better."

Sorry for the DP guys.

Tookay

So what are the best Gundam shows according to Gaf?

Nobody's going to agree here probably.

My favorites are G, Wing/Endless Watlz, Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, and (most definitely) Unicorn. They all have memorable characters, good-great action, fantastic mecha, and good music.

I recognize that the original is good, but it doesn't really hold up. However, it's still sort of the backbone of some of the best stuff in the franchise, so it's essential viewing.

I also like/tolerate SEED/Destiny, though I totally recognize how cheesy and soap opera-y they are.

00 is garbage, even its first season.

I've never understood the Wing love. Is it nostalgia for people as it was the first Gundam show for a lot of people in North America? It does nothing for me.

G Gundam is fun, but I think of it more as a super robot show and not really a Gundam title.

Beth Cyra

I've never understood the Wing love. Is it nostalgia for people as it was the first Gundam show for a lot of people in North America? It does nothing for me.

G Gundam is fun, but I think of it more as a super robot show and not really a Gundam title.

For some it is, but frankly this gets really old when people try to bring this up all the time.

No one demands/asks Zeta fans or Gundam fans to look beyond when they were released because it must be nostalga.

Not saying your wrong for asking but the sheer amount of times this gets brought up really is bullshit. I watched Wing and G back to back in the day and I still find G to be garbage, age hasn't helped it.

Lastly the Wing being first in NA so it must be the reason that some people like it doesn't hold up when you realize that Wing was the most popular show from the 90's (not counting CCA) in Japan and even now when you look at the ratings Wing wasn't that far off from OO and has plenty of stuff coming out for it and continues to be used while Zero and Heero Yuy remain popular both in North America and Japan.

54-46!

I recognize that the original is good, but it doesn't really hold up. However, it's still sort of the backbone of some of the best stuff in the franchise, so it's essential viewing.

I was kind of skeptic when I started watching it some years back but I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it, sure, the animation is very simple with a lot of rough edges but I still think most of the story beats and characters are really good.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have to watch more Gundam, but my favorites are Gundam Wing and G Gundam.

Has anyone here played Gundam Battle Assault 2? Really great Gundam Fighting game.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 is fun too for what it is, and has some hilarious dialogue.

Beth Cyra

I was kind of skeptic when I started watching it some years back but I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it, sure, the animation is very simple with a lot of rough edges but I still think most of the story beats and characters are really good.

Im similar, however I actually watched SEED before I did Gundam so I think that changed things for me.

Thing is, while I enjoyed SEED enough (THE FUCKING MUSIC IS GODLY) it actually made me like Gundam more then I normally would. Honestly I think I like Char/Amuro and the story as much as I do simply because I really think they are just so much better then Kira/Athrun/Lacus.

Has anyone here played Gundam Battle Assault 2? Really great Gundam Fighting game.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 is fun too for what it is, and has some hilarious dialogue.

Battle Assualt 2 was fun in the day. Thing is a bro and I played it earlier this year and dear god it jutst didn't hold up well at all for me. By the time it was over I really never wanted to go back again.

I do agree that DWG3 is fun. Much improved game over 2 but still lacking in the story department compared to 1. Easily the best game of the series. Probably wouldn't import a 4th (I did for 2 and 3) unless they drop Wing TV for EW and add Chestbreak.

tuffy

G Gundam takes a lot of classic Gundam themes, like economic disparity and environmentalism, and wraps them in Imagawa's over-the-top style. It may lack the gritty "real robot" feel of the original, but it's still trying to convey the same messages.

I'm of a similar mind when it comes to Wing. I personally don't feel like it stacks up well to Turn A, Zeta, and X although I still think it's a decent series. Perhaps nostalgia does play into it a lot as it wasn't my first exposure to Gundam either.

For some it is, but frankly this gets really old when people try to bring this up all the time.

No one demands/asks Zeta fans or Gundam fans to look beyond when they were released because it must be nostalga.

Not saying your wrong for asking but the sheer amount of times this gets brought up really is bullshit. I watched Wing and G back to back in the day and I still find G to be garbage, age hasn't helped it.

Lastly the Wing being first in NA so it must be the reason that some people like it doesn't hold up when you realize that Wing was the most popular show from the 90's (not counting CCA) in Japan and even now when you look at the ratings Wing wasn't that far off from OO and has plenty of stuff coming out for it and continues to be used while Zero and Heero Yuy remain popular both in North America and Japan.

Dude, no need to get so defensive!

It seems that people tend to forget that Gundam is still somewhat of a super robot show. Mobile Suit Gundam might have been a move towards a real robot type of mecha. But the mecha shows that followed after that are much better examples of real robots than any of the Gundam shows to date.

We play Gundam Extreme VS.

But for my fave Gundam... damn. It's a big mix between G, X, or Turn A. Victory, 00 First Season, and Zeta are right behind it.

Though Crossbone (manga) is my fave series out of all of them.

Characters for me
Heero
Duo
Trowa
Quatre
Zechs
Noin
Treize

Also the soundtrack, and it all just seems more down to earth imo.
I left out Wufei on purpose

Beth Cyra

Characters for me
Heero
Duo
Trowa
Quatre
Zechs
Noin
Treize

Also The soundtrack, and it all just seems more down to earth imo.

These two are amazing.

Treize being the big one for me. To this day I don't think I've ever heard anything more badass then David Kaye's delievery during Treize Vs Wufei in Tallgeese II.

Gundam Fighters

Anyone else play this game? What are your favourite Chars? All the boss chars are pretty broken (Setsuna, Stella, GSD Kira, etc). But I think F91 (Seabook?) is really strong too. My favourite is probably S1 Lockon for that Ultimate.

Katoki

Was wondering, what happens to your kits after the hype wears off and you had nowhere to put them to begin with? I have more than a few handfuls of kits in boxes because I wanted to build them at the time and I did. Then the novelty wore off due to too much in a short period of time but I've been watching parts of Gundam Seed over the past few days since my brother is re-watching the series since it's summer and I know where all my favorite parts are to jump in and watch for a while. I feel the bug coming on again, but what to do? I'll just end up buying, building, and boxing again..

More or less, I sold my Master Grade Freedom like last year when I was all burned out. I'm tempted to pick up the Real Grade Freedom due to my watching Gundam Seed since it'll be cheaper, but I love my Master Grades.

Droog

Was wondering, what happens to your kits after the hype wears off and you had nowhere to put them to begin with? I have more than a few handfuls of kits in boxes because I wanted to build them at the time and I did. Then the novelty wore off due to too much in a short period of time but I've been watching parts of Gundam Seed over the past few days since my brother is re-watching the series since it's summer and I know where all my favorite parts are to jump in and watch for a while. I feel the bug coming on again, but what to do? I'll just end up buying, building, and boxing again..

More or less, I sold my Master Grade Freedom like last year when I was all burned out. I'm tempted to pick up the Real Grade Freedom due to my watching Gundam Seed since it'll be cheaper, but I love my Master Grades.

It all depends on what you want from your models I guess. I paint and weather my models, pose them then essentially never touch them again once they're done. This is because I mostly work on dioramas however. I like Master Grades but realistically I don't have room where I live for everything I would want to build so I'm compromising with High Grades. 1/100 dioramas take up a LOT of space!

Personally I would say go with the Real Grade. I've got both the RX-78 and Zaku II in RG form and have not been disappointed with either. They're smaller than MG sure but they have a lot of detail and great inner frames although they can tend to be a little delicate.

Katoki

It all depends on what you want from your models I guess. I paint and weather my models, pose them then essentially never touch them again once they're done. This is because I mostly work on dioramas however. I like Master Grades but realistically I don't have room where I live for everything I would want to build so I'm compromising with High Grades. 1/100 dioramas take up a LOT of space!

Personally I would say go with the Real Grade. I've got both the RX-78 and Zaku II in RG form and have not been disappointed with either. They're smaller than MG sure but they have a lot of detail and great inner frames although they can tend to be a little delicate.

Speaking of which, I have the RG RX-78 that I haven't completed yet either lol. The foot ankle cover things bother me so much since it never stays.

I'm not the diorama type, I just build stuff I think is cool at the time. I have a stack of boxes in the closet of brand new stuff because I was nuts about it at the time. I've also adopted the whole minimal modification bit since weathering is beyond my level of skill and patience. I only really panel line, decal and top coat my kits but sometimes it doesn't seem good enough unfortunately.

The one kit I am proud of is my MG God Gundam. It stands right next to my mouse since it's the only extra space I have on this oddly laid out table of mine. I'm extremely tempted to pick up the MG Spallow as well right now, because I've come to the conclusion that I really like "agility" type suits, hence the regret for selling the Freedom. The unfinished MG Delta Plus I have would definitely be "agility" as well. I think if I ever finish that, It'll stay in the flight mode as I was never really crazy about the Hyaku-shiki look anyway.

Averon

AGE 42

This recent aim the make the Federation look as bad as the Vegans falls flat. I'm assuming the whole point of this Spriggan character is to show the Federation's "bad side". But as I said, it falls flat for me. Hiding a botched test flight is bad, but it doesn't compare to half the shit the Vegans has done. Razing entire cities and colonies. Killing unarmed civvies. Assassinating those who learned too much about their infiltration of the Federation. Even the one sympathetic Vegan we got to know well, Zeheart, was responsible for invading Earth cities that showed his men killing civilians without mercy.

This attempt at equivocation of the Federation and Vegans, as well as the attempt to drum up sympathy for the Vegans seems very forced and poorly thought out. Also, Kio has become annoying as shit. I mean, it would be really silly for a battle hardened adult to suddenly stop fighting because some naive kid only half their age said so. That'll be stupid (I'm looking at you, SeeD/Destiny).

Jube3

Master grade Blitz came in today, not sure what to build next the Blitz, they Heavy Arms or the Delta Plus (Gundam Backlog ack!). This hobby really snuck up on me, started with one about a year ago and now I have 12 kits sitting around the house lol.

Dambrosi

Banned
AGE 42

This recent aim the make the Federation look as bad as the Vegans falls flat. I'm assuming the whole point of this Spriggan character is to show the Federation's "bad side". But as I said, it falls flat for me. Hiding a botched test flight is bad, but it doesn't compare to half the shit the Vegans has done. Razing entire cities and colonies. Killing unarmed civvies. Assassinating those who learned too much about their infiltration of the Federation. Even the one sympathetic Vegan we got to know well, Zeheart, was responsible for invading Earth cities that showed his men killing civilians without mercy.

This attempt at equivocation of the Federation and Vegans, as well as the attempt to drum up sympathy for the Vegans seems very forced and poorly thought out. Also, Kio has become annoying as shit. I mean, it would be really silly for a battle hardened adult to suddenly stop fighting because some naive kid only half their age said so. That'll be stupid (I'm looking at you, SeeD/Destiny).
I dunno, I actually really liked it, SPECULATIVE SPOILER ALERT
if only for the implication that Old Man Flit might have had something to do with it. If he did, shit hits the fan, and that's what this show has needed for the longest time, so Fan Dumb or not, that's what I'm hoping for.
SPECULATIVE SPOILER ALERT

Although I agree that the Vagan can't really be sympathized with at this point (far too late in the story for this sort of thing), I do think a certain amount of moral greying on the "Good Guys" team is absolutely necessary to save this series from ending in a damp squib. Nobody wants another Destiny End, right?

Oh, and while I'm at it, where's Gundam Sexylis when it's needed? One glorious showing and that's it? I can't believe that for a second. There's only 8-10 eps to go, guys, don't eff this up.

Katoki

Since my brother is watching Seed and Seed Destiny, I ended up re-watching bits here and there. Now I can't say I particularly like the characters after the first full run through, but do you guys ever think about what would happen with your life and the people around you if something like an Orb attack happened? The one I'm thinking about is the beginning of Seed Destiny where Shinn goes and loses his family and becomes angry at the world for pretty much the entire series.

It's a shame we don't have Zakus and space travel huh?

I thought I only regretted selling my PS3 for no longer being able to play SSX and Skate 3, but I'm starting to miss my copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 now too. This is not ending well.

Jubern

It was announced a little over a year ago, when the manga ended its publication, that it'd be animated. But we seriously don't know any thing about it, not even the format they're going with.

Jubern

That's a good question. Wasn't someone here saying that merchandise-wise the whole Wing reboot wasn't that successful?

duckroll

Wasn't Gundam: The Origin supposed to become an animated OVA or series or something?

What happened to that?

They announced an anime adaptation, but it's not ready to be detailed yet. Since the UC core audience are still buying Unicorn an that doesn't end for some time, there's no need for them to rush Origin.

Beth Cyra

That's a good question. Wasn't someone here saying that merchandise-wise the whole Wing reboot wasn't that successful?

I had mentioned seeing what was a model kit chart and that Wing wasn't represented on it, and was worried that Wing and it's expansions/stuff could be doing badly.

I did however later post that while the DVD/Blu Ray Tracking part of it seemed to be spot on given information we have seen else where the model kits didn't line up.

Igloo, G Savior and entries were all rep'd on the chart and Wing wasn't. At first I believe this could mean Wing hasn't done very well. However when we take into account how hard Bandai has been pushing and how much stuff they have continued to bring out from Wing and continue to do so along with the fact that they announced more Endless Waltz Master Grades before Duel was even fully out the door really suggests that it's at the very least doing as expected if not much better then they though it would. The fact is they have shown this year even that thye will cancel stuff flat out if they don't seem to think it will preform, all we need to do is look at what happened to Master Grade Gafran for proof.

As it stands Wing has had 6 MG's in the last year and a half and now they are building on that the Robot Damashii line with the Kai's and even a Leo plus with we know more MG's to be announced in the fall of this year. On top of all this despite all the negativity we can see for Frozen Teardrop the first two volumes had actually quite good sales. I haven't seen where it has gone since then, so they could have dropped off a cliff but given publisher and Bandai are still pushing them it seems unlikely they did so.

Granted all this ranting doesn't mean shit for an OVA, and frankly I don't think it will ever happen. I've predicted from the beginning that anyone really hoping for an OVA of Frozen Teardrop or Glory was probably hoping in vain, but I'm not a member of Bandai/Sunrise so I could very end up way wrong.

Age 43
tumblr_m8ayd3uYfu1r7vqrgo1_500.gif

Thieva mobile suit is one of the best Federation suits hear, with the integration of the X-rounder suit and abilities, and Spriggan, I think it made it rise on my list of favorite suits. It was so overpowered with the c-funnels, bits, and Fawnfarsias flowers. Loved it. Fram is also one of my favorite pilots this age.

Albis should be commended for his plan to get into the base as well as to force a surrender. However I feel that that is not actually what Flit wanted. I wonder if people are starting to side with Kio and trying to avoid casualties while Flit just clearly wants total annihilation. I wonder where he went wrong to be so hellbent on the path of destruction, though considering Ezelcanto is from his original gen and he already faced that loss with Yurin, I guess hes been holding that grudge for years. Asemu and Zeharto part was my favorite as it seemed that Zehearto was trying to keep Asemu out of harms way by taking damage. I dont think Zeharto will fully stay committed to the end and may change based on Asemu, hopefully. Rekindling their friendship and teaming up would satisfy one of my wishes for this gen.

Jube3

Finished the Blitz last night, left it stock except for the inner frame which I kept Gun Metal. Pretty quick kit to build, the claw weapon looks so awesome, im having trouble keeping it balanced well though using the wire. I might take some super glue to it since I plan to always have it displayed like that, maybe ill try to find a stronger wire to fit it.

Heres a shot of the WIP Marasai, I went with a different color scheme. Not sure If I love the gray on the boot so I may repaint that before I add water slides. Need to finish painting the shoulder shield and panel line it. Really love the MG zaku style kits. I need to pick up the LED light for it soon along with a stand.

Beth Cyra

Finished the Blitz last night, left it stock except for the inner frame which I kept Gun Metal. Pretty quick kit to build, the claw weapon looks so awesome, im having trouble keeping it balanced well though using the wire. I might take some super glue to it since I plan to always have it displayed like that, maybe ill try to find a stronger wire to fit it.

Heres a shot of the WIP Marasai, I went with a different color scheme. Not sure If I love the gray on the boot so I may repaint that before I add water slides. Need to finish painting the shoulder shield and panel line it. Really love the MG zaku style kits. I need to pick up the LED light for it soon along with a stand.

Looks great.

I still haven't gotten any of the Zaku style kits. In fact I've had my finger on the buy button for the White Ogre Zaku 2.0 for almost a month now. In fact would have bought it three nights ago but decided to go with the MG ReZEL and Beginning Gundam HG since they were on sale.

Still I can't imagine it will be much longer before I can't resist the White Ogre.

Jube3

Looks great.

I still haven't gotten any of the Zaku style kits. In fact I've had my finger on the buy button for the White Ogre Zaku 2.0 for almost a month now. In fact would have bought it three nights ago but decided to go with the MG ReZEL and Beginning Gundam HG since they were on sale.

Still I can't imagine it will be much longer before I can't resist the White Ogre.

The White Ogre was the first Zaku I picked up and also the first kit I tried to weather. It looked so amazing weathered on the box. It came out.. ok lol. I will probably clean it up and try again later now that I've had more practice with it.

Beth Cyra

I usually just build my Kits and don't paint or weather.

White Ogre is one of the few that I actually considered doing it with though. Thing is I love the idea of an all White Zaku, so I might have to end up getting two of the bad boys. Probably end up with four because my wife totally loves Char's Zaku II and I know I will end up with the Shin version as well.

Jube3

I usually just build my Kits and don't paint or weather.

White Ogre is one of the few that I actually considered doing it with though. Thing is I love the idea of an all White Zaku, so I might have to end up getting two of the bad boys. Probably end up with four because my wife totally loves Char's Zaku II and I know I will end up with the Shin version as well.

That's what I like to hear lol, I think the next kit I pick up will be The O, or HI NU. I still have a Heavy Arms EW I need to paint/finish as well as the MG Delta Plus. Running out of space to put these guys hehe.

Averon

AGE 43

Nice action episode. Kio has become unbearable. "Please crazy, murderous lady. Join me and let us hold hands to stop the fighting!" Even Kira, in his most Jesus moments, wasn't this bad or annoying. Spriggan
dying
in this episode was seen a mile away. Her ONLY purpose was to show how "bad" the Feddies were, and that they're as nasty as the Vegans. Of course that falls flat when you find out that it was a traitor, not bad decision making, that was the cause for the test flight accident. That also undermines the whole premise of the Feddies being as bad an actor as the Vegans, which makes the previous episode nearly a complete waste of time. Also, it seems like the writers don't know what to do with Asemu. All he did was fly around the battlefield being totally clueless.

Also, shouldn't the Vegan population question why they didn't move back to Earth much sooner? This episode clearly showed that the Vegans could. I should think this would invoke some questions from somebody.

"Err, hey commander. If we could move this massive colony back into the Earth sphere, why didn't we do this sooner? I mean, we're dying from damn Mars Rays everyday! Shouldn't we get the hell away from Mars ASAP since we clearly can if we wanted to?"

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's what I like to hear lol, I think the next kit I pick up will be The O, or HI NU. I still have a Heavy Arms EW I need to paint/finish as well as the MG Delta Plus. Running out of space to put these guys hehe.

I want to buy The O or a Zeong. I can't decide which I'd like more. I'm still working on sanding down all the nubs on my Shin Musha to begin assembly and paint, though. I've never painted a Gundam before, so it's going to be interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom