• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

appaws

Banned
Has there been any must listen to interviews the last few months?

John Goodman was interesting. Mostly fast-forward material though. I always laugh at the string of sycophant callers every day, who just tell him how great the last celebrity interview was.

The Howard Stern interview style has devolved to become very formulaic in these latter days of the show. A lot of ass-kissing and attempting to analyze the guest's daddy issues. Howard has become very fixated on the idea of parental issues over the years, I think since he started in with the shrink.

Van Owen

Banned
John Goodman was interesting. Mostly fast-forward material though. I always laugh at the string of sycophant callers every day, who just tell him how great the last celebrity interview was.

The Howard Stern interview style has devolved to become very formulaic in these latter days of the show. A lot of ass-kissing and attempting to analyze the guest's daddy issues. Howard has become very fixated on the idea of parental issues over the years, I think since he started in with the shrink.

Plus asking every male guest how big their dick is.

In other news, Otto from Otto and George fame passed away. He stopped doing the Stern show the past few years but made a lot of appearances on Opie and Anthony.

I've been off the show for about a year. I stopped listening when I no longer had a long commute.

Funny thing is, now I have a long commute again. And I have for the last 6 months. I've filled the space with Hardcore History podcasts. I've tried listening to Stern again recently and I couldn't last 10 minutes. Just wasn't stimulating me...

I used to listen to every show from start to finish. Including the wrap up show.

appaws

Banned
I've been off the show for about a year. I stopped listening when I no longer had a long commute.

Funny thing is, now I have a long commute again. And I have for the last 6 months. I've filled the space with Hardcore History podcasts. I've tried listening to Stern again recently and I couldn't last 10 minutes. Just wasn't stimulating me...

I used to listen to every show from start to finish. Including the wrap up show.

It's funny. In a lot of ways I think the wrap up show is more interesting than the regular show these days. At least you get to hear from some interesting people like Benjy and JD more. And I have always liked both Bababooey and Hine.

I don't know if I can ever stop listening completely because I am addicted to the continuing adventures of certain people like Eric the Midget, Bigfoot, etc. But I find clip packs that people put together of stuff from the past so much more enjoyable. I just finished one of Howard's parents that had just hours and hours of radio gold.

Grinchy

Banned
I've actually liked most of the interviews recently. It does kinda feel like Stern is shifting toward a more interview-centric show. It's probably what the show will focus on when he starts doing it from his Florida home.

I just got to the George Lopez interview and it was really good.

Grinchy

Banned
I totally doubt it's true, but if it is, good for him. He's getting off the sinking ship. And a job as a real writer will help him out a lot more in the long run.

RangersFan

so sad, but his show wasn't good. he's definitely more suited for the sidekick roll than host. even when he was co-hosting with nick dipaolo it was better than his own show. get it together artie, fuck.

Meanwhile at the Kentucky Derby...

yYEg5yj.jpg

gdt

Catching up

Man Donovan is a blowhard.

"I moved to a little cottage. Little did I know a big event was coming next...."

gdt

Howard goes on about how great Bowie was to use non standard chords and how people shouldnt conform and not follow all the rules in life.

Howard : Am I right?

Robin : You're absolutely right I was just saying the same thing yesterday to someone. Most people follow the recipe instead of writing a new one.

Goddamit Robin, do you always gotta know everything?

Grinchy

Banned
So there's something weird going on with AGT lately. They were set to tape shows on Weds, Thurs, and Fri. On Wednesday, they cancelled the show partway through. They just ended it abruptly, no explanation. Everyone waited for a while and then they were told to just leave. The only official explanation so far is that they had a "scheduling conflict." The Thurs and Fri tapings were cancelled too.

It's hard to believe that they were in the middle of taping a show when they realized they had a scheduling conflict.

So there's something weird going on with AGT lately. They were set to tape shows on Weds, Thurs, and Fri. On Wednesday, they cancelled the show partway through. They just ended it abruptly, no explanation. Everyone waited for a while and then they were told to just leave. The only official explanation so far is that they had a "scheduling conflict." The Thurs and Fri tapings were cancelled too.

It's hard to believe that they were in the middle of taping a show when they realized they had a scheduling conflict.

Is it wrong that I assume Howard is the reason? You know it is going to end bad because it always ends bad with the people he works for. I bet everyone on the show hates him too.

Grinchy

Banned
^Yeah I saw this at Dawg's, of course, and the members there have lots of theories so far lol. Some of them are ridiculous, but some make sense. There is a theory that it's Howard-related for sure.

Or maybe one of the judges had a death in the family, which would explain needing subsequent days off. Or maybe they couldn't get a big enough crowd to fill the venue and the people they had just weren't enthusiastic enough.

There are even theories that they actually are filming the other days but that they are doing it without an audience and they'll just edit in reactions afterward.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't heard the show yet where he talks about it, but apparently Howard said that they removed the AGT audience for those 3 days. They sent everyone home and said it was canceled due to a "scheduling conflict" and then they went ahead and taped the shows without an audience.

Van Owen

Banned
I haven't heard the show yet where he talks about it, but apparently Howard said that they removed the AGT audience for those 3 days. They sent everyone home and said it was canceled due to a "scheduling conflict" and then they went ahead and taped the shows without an audience.

He's lying. There were reports that they couldn't find enough audience members before the tapings.

RangersFan

I actually got to defend Howard here. Mind you I still hate AGT and everything related to it. He mentioned weeks ago how they are doing the "boot camp" rounds in NY this year, they usually do it in Las Vegas with no audience. He even mentioned they would be doing in front of an audience in NY and he doesn't know if he feels right about it because the boot camp round is when they give honest critiques and constructive criticism and it might not work if the audience cheers every time even for acts that shouldn't be moving forward. Sure enough as he explained it today, they had to stop midway through taping because production agreed with Howard that the audience format for this round isn't working out.

Had to defend him because he had mentioned previously how it wouldn't work and was right. So I totally buy the explanation he gave today.

Van Owen

Banned
I actually got to defend Howard here. Mind you I still hate AGT and everything related to it. He mentioned weeks ago how they are doing the "boot camp" rounds in NY this year, they usually do it in Las Vegas with no audience. He even mentioned they would be doing in front of an audience in NY and he doesn't know if he feels right about it because the boot camp round is when they give honest critiques and constructive criticism and it might not work if the audience cheers every time even for acts that shouldn't be moving forward. Sure enough as he explained it today, they had to stop midway through taping because production agreed with Howard that the audience format for this round isn't working out.

Had to defend him because he had mentioned previously how it wouldn't work and was right. So I totally buy the explanation he gave today.

I think people that were there said none of the acts were getting a reaction from the audience.

But the whole fucking show is one big audition, so I'm not sure why it would be a problem.

I'm sure it's filled with the same great talent like little dogs running around and a guy getting hit in the balls.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't necessarily disbelieve Howard on the fact that they were trying it with an audience for the first time and it wasn't working out how they thought it would so they ditched the audience. But I also wouldn't find it crazy to believe that they couldn't even fill the venue and the people who were there couldn't even muster up fake enthusiasm for the terrible acts.

RangersFan

Well I watched the last two seasons because of Howard and the way they did this round is exactly as he described. The boot camp round is done with no audience and the judges are harsh with their critiques because they have to narrow down their list for the live shows. So I totally buy what he says. They've never done this round with an audience before. I remember watching it the last few seasons and they would do it in a huge venue in Las Vegas with thousands of empty seats.

Also todays show, Howard shocked me with his hockey and Rangers knowledge. He actually talked about the Rangers playoff run after he took a call from a guy he hung up earlier. He told then guy, look I don't have time to sit there and wait to get your point out, so I'll give you another shot. The caller tried to be a smart ass and asked Howard about the Rangers neutral zone play and standing up the blue line. And color me shocked when Howard took the call seriously and went on about the Rangers playoff run, was awesome.

RangersFan

Also todays show, Howard shocked me with his hockey and Rangers knowledge. He actually talked about the Rangers playoff run after he took a call from a guy he hung up earlier. He told then guy, look I don't have time to sit there and wait to get your point out, so I'll give you another shot. The caller tried to be a smart ass and asked Howard about the Rangers neutral zone play and standing up the blue line. And color me shocked when Howard took the call seriously and went on about the Rangers playoff run, was awesome.

LOL, it ended up being Sour Shoes who called in, lol I should have been paying attention closer but was running on the treadmill while I was listening to this part.

https://soundcloud.com/thenyrfan/howardsternsourshoes52014

Been driving a rental w Sirius and able to catch snippets and was lolling hard at the Ronnie on a plane bit (this was after they found out Ronnie sits on a plane and just stares out the window and never reads or anything). They were inside the mind of Ronnie and the bit involved heavy echo and Fred playing Ronnie drops .... T-o-p-l-e-s-s .. Let's fuck some whores!

RangersFan

Wow potential game changer. Howard talking about how they are in the process of possibly moving the show to 7am. This would be huge imo. Long overdue...

appaws

Banned
Artie is slowly morphing into Joey Buttafuoco.

BqstF6wCcAABU3H.jpg:large

My God....he looks awful. Always loved the guy....been listening back to some of the stuff with him and George Takei hanging out and going to art galleries and stuff. Funny.

As a fellow paisan, I hope he gets his shit together.

RangersFan

My God....he looks awful. Always loved the guy....been listening back to some of the stuff with him and George Takei hanging out and going to art galleries and stuff. Funny.

As a fellow paisan, I hope he gets his shit together.

Sadly, he actually looks better. He has lost a lot of weight.

RangersFan

Someone called in and offered 250,000 to see if Howard wears a wig. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LuKuzpXAMI

The tentativeness at the proposal from inside the studio even if it ended up being BS...

Everyone is not as stupid as Howard believes they are. Out of all the rumors and speculation and lies, Howard wearing a wig is the most obvious one. It is funny people keep needling him about it, especially with the way he makes fun of guys like Bobo, and all the celebrities with hair pieces. FFS the fans know your 24/7 hair person Toni, no reason to keep up the charade.

Is that Sirius XM complaint thread in OT accurate? Sirius now costs $19 a month? The last I had it (prob back in '08 or so) it was only $10. So much for the merger keeping costs low.

Top Bottom