• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

I think everyone agrees that it'd be nice if the empty chair could be filled a little more often. George Takei sitting in for the week was always a lot of fun, and getting in rotating friends of the show would be good.

Heck, even Sal and Richard in the chair every now and then would be good, although I know it'd be annoying quickly.

More callers, more guests who are fun, more competitions/games - would be great.

RELAYER

Banned
I think everyone agrees that it'd be nice if the empty chair could be filled a little more often. George Takei sitting in for the week was always a lot of fun, and getting in rotating friends of the show would be good.

Heck, even Sal and Richard in the chair every now and then would be good, although I know it'd be annoying quickly.

More callers, more guests who are fun, more competitions/games - would be great.

J.D.

Kuroyume

Banned
Someone special coming in on Monday

beetojxn5.gif

beetlekbzfp.gif

beetandjohn2eek1x.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man, listening to Eric "quit the show" yet again because the crew disrespected Chris Benoit is bizarre in retrospect. These youtube compilations are a life saver.

Grinchy

Banned
On a serious note, I think someone should look into filing charges against Dominic. That guy does so many horrible things to Beetle.

NYR

The last few days of Howard complaining about his job and contract make it clear to me he is done in 15 months. Really dumb the show is on at 6 am or whatever for no reason. No one listens to it like that anymore, on demand is where it is at.

Kuroyume

Banned
Nah... I enjoy listening to him in the morning. And I'm sure other people enjoy having him on for the morning drive. I appreciate hearing Howard for about 50 minutes as I get ready to leave the house. Yeah, I could listen later and I do catch up on the entire show in the evening, but USUALLY the start of the show is the best part of the day so appreciate hearing him live and early but it often puts me in a good mood in the morning.

If he has to move to resign again so be it, but his whining about it now is just pitiful. Dude goes to work three days a week. Has a ton of vacation. Has been phonining it in for a while. Just shut up and do your job. He signed the contract. If he doesn't like it he shouldn't have signed it with those terms.

Btw, how awful was yesterday's show? Lena Dunham is so fucking boring, unfunny, and annoying.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Since Eric died, I have learned about the Gonzo Shit Cock character. I heard he tormented Eric on twitter and via phone, etc. He must have appeared in the last year or so (when I stopped listening), as I have no recollection of him prior. Is his stuff worth checking out?

Booshka

Nah... I enjoy listening to him in the morning. And I'm sure other people enjoy having him on for the morning drive. I appreciate hearing Howard for about 50 minutes as I get ready to leave the house. Yeah, I could listen later and I do catch up on the entire show in the evening, but USUALLY the start of the show is the best part of the day so appreciate hearing him live and early but it often puts me in a good mood in the morning.

If he has to move to resign again so be it, but his whining about it now is just pitiful. Dude goes to work three days a week. Has a ton of vacation. Has been phonining it in for a while. Just shut up and do your job. He signed the contract. If he doesn't like it he shouldn't have signed it with those terms.

Btw, how awful was yesterday's show? Lena Dunham is so fucking boring, unfunny, and annoying.
Brought the Daily Show to a screeching halt too, really boring and unfunny, says a lot, but none of it is very interesting, and definitely not funny.

Howard shouldn't whine at all about his work, like it made sense in the last year or two of Terrestrial radio, his show was getting chopped up and shit out by Clear Channel and a bunch of radio networks across the country. I remember back in 05 listening to 30 mins straight of commercials, with huge swathes of his show being cut out. That's worth bitching about.

DonDraper

Banned
I just use the app to listen to him on demand all the time. So much easier that way, get to listen to the whole show (though I skip a lot of the news most times) and I can skip through the shit interviews I don't wanna hear like Mario Lopez or Dunham.

Granted, I'm usually a day behind, but that works for me. 5 days worth of commute to listen to 3 shows. Easy peezy. Thank goodness for the on demand option!

Nuklear

Banned
The last few days of Howard complaining about his job and contract make it clear to me he is done in 15 months. Really dumb the show is on at 6 am or whatever for no reason. No one listens to it like that anymore, on demand is where it is at.

This is all part of his negotiations. He starts pull this stuff every time his contract is close to ending. He'll get his later starting time and I can't blame him for being pissed off that Sirius dicked him about it in his current contract. Personally if I was him I would just retire but we all know Howard would go nuts without having to do the show. He would go stir crazy and be pretty bored.

Kuroyume

Banned
Since Eric died, I have learned about the Gonzo Shit Cock character. I heard he tormented Eric on twitter and via phone, etc. He must have appeared in the last year or so (when I stopped listening), as I have no recollection of him prior. Is his stuff worth checking out?

Yeah, he was great. Totally disagree with the criticism he's gotten following Eric's death. While Eric was alive people praised and loved him. After Eric dies he get's bashed by the same people. So stupid.

My favorite gonzo moment is what I believe was his first time on the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEXfc6GHdvw

I played that clip several times a week for like two months. The trolling is so good.

Grinchy

Banned
The Melissa Etheridge and Lena Dunham day was torturous to get through. Melissa Etheridge didn't even sound very good when she performed and her old and new songs are bad. Way too much time was spent on this. And then Lena Dunham is just naturally annoying, though her interview was much better than Etheridge.

RangersFan

The Melissa Etheridge and Lena Dunham day was torturous to get through. Melissa Etheridge didn't even sound very good when she performed and her old and new songs are bad. Way too much time was spent on this. And then Lena Dunham is just naturally annoying, though her interview was much better than Etheridge.

2 interview days are brutal. Aziz Ansari and Joe Perry was better than Lena Dunham and Melissa Etheridge but still every time it's a 2 interview day I cringe. It's basically THSS saying we have no content. I loved when Natalie Maines was willing to admit as much on Celebrity Superfan round table how much she hates 2 interview days. I wish she was willing to say more not that it would do anything...

jred2k

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here, but I imagine the posters here would be interested. Artie Lange is starting up a paid-for podcast in a couple of weeks or so.

L6RuYuV.png

Grinchy

Banned
I'm just not sure if Artie is enough of a draw for me to pay for a podcast. People like Adam Corolla and Joe Rogan are pretty damn good at what they do. They can carry a show. And I still don't even listen to those podcasts regluarly.

I'm not sure if Artie is good enough at radio for this to be a hit.

RangersFan

I'm just not sure if Artie is enough of a draw for me to pay for a podcast. People like Adam Corolla and Joe Rogan are pretty damn good at what they do. They can carry a show. And I still don't even listen to those podcasts regluarly.

I'm not sure if Artie is good enough at radio for this to be a hit.

Agreed. I'm the biggest Artie fan. I will often decry the fall of THSS because of his departure. But Artie isn't made to be a host of any show. He has always been good as a sidekick interjecting with quips, anecdotes, stories, and sports knowledge, which is why he worked so well with Howard. His inability to host or even co-host was evident with Nick and Artie and The Artie Lange show. While enjoyable at times because it is Artie, both shows failed to capture me, even a little bit, the way the Artie years on Stern did. Get this guy on Norm, Carolla, or someone other established Podcast hosts show and i'll listen.

Tarkus

Agreed. I'm the biggest Artie fan. I will often decry the fall of THSS because of his departure. But Artie isn't made to be a host of any show. He has always been good as a sidekick interjecting with quips, anecdotes, stories, and sports knowledge, which is why he worked so well with Howard. His inability to host or even co-host was evident with Nick and Artie and The Artie Lange show. While enjoyable at times because it is Artie, both shows failed to capture me, even a little bit, the way the Artie years on Stern did. Get this guy on Norm, Carolla, or someone other established Podcast hosts show and i'll listen.
I think one of the major problems with the Nick and Artie Show was that it was censored and therefore, Artie was neutered.

Nuklear

Banned
So did anyone ask Jon Hein the burning question everyone has after the Bill Murray interview? Does he agree with Bill Murray that In-N-Out Burgers has the best burgers?

RangersFan

Also I forgot to add that there was a good caller today on wrap-up asking about artie. He said "he's had at least 2 late show appearances and an upcoming comedy central special, when are we getting artie on the show?" There was a noticeable pause and Gary was like ugh "I dunno I'll have to look into it, he actually hasn't asked." What a BS deflection...

Nuklear

Banned
Neil Young was pretty awesome. Decent write up about the interview here: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/10/14/neil-young-howard-stern/

I never even heard of Russell Brand before but man he's a really fun guest!

So sick of Howard of having five callers(at least it seems like five) asking him if he's going back to AGT next season. I also think the stupid Casey Kasem "calls" are stupid as hell and very unfunny.

Also them talking about "donating" to charities at stores was so terrible. I never feel guilty when I don't donate. Am I the only one that feels that way?

RangersFan

Wow. Haven't heard anything about those two leaving.

They worked for Howard TV which left a year ago when the contract with inDemand wasn't renewed. So pretty much Goodstein, Richie, Gange, Phalen, and Depace haven't been with the show the past year. And as you can see from the convo others like Mike Morales and Tracey Millman are also gone without it being announced. I actually didn't realize High Pitch Mike and David Hite were gone until now.

Grinchy

Banned
I knew about everyone except High Pitch Mike. I'm surprised he's gone.

I wonder if he ever took that TV out of its box.

RangersFan

Did Howard say something was in the works so people could watch the show again right after Howard TV failed?

lol

He's also said among other things over the years that BackOffice Radio would be back, the show would move to 7 and Artie would be back one day.

appaws

Banned
Caught Artie's new Comedy Central special earlier today...

I have to admit I didn't think it was that good. Not even close to "It's the Whiskey Talking," IMO. Even some recycled jokes and stories that he told on the Stern show years ago.

Also, he looks just terrible.

RangersFan

Caught Artie's new Comedy Central special earlier today...

I have to admit I didn't think it was that good. Not even close to "It's the Whiskey Talking," IMO. Even some recycled jokes and stories that he told on the Stern show years ago.

Also, he looks just terrible.

Saw it also, I thought it was good all things considering. They say most stand ups only have 1 great special or act in them. It was never gonna be as good as "It's The Whiskey Talking" or "Jack and Coke." But not bad at all for a Comedy Central Special. Also he actually looked "good" imo compared to what he looked like last year.

Eric Andre would fill the Artie seat in a world where the Stern show wasn't a shadow of it's former self.

His screening of Wack Pack calls was the most I've laughed at the show in years.

Top Bottom