• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

Grinchy

Banned
Every year, it becomes more and more obvious that Howard and Fred hate each other.

I think Howard sees Fred as someone who is coasting by in easy mode, and Fred sees Howard realistically.

Every year, it becomes more and more obvious that Howard and Fred hate each other.

I think Howard sees Fred as someone who is coasting by in easy mode, and Fred sees Howard realistically.

The inner circle in general has to hate Howard on some level. I, as just a listener, seem to hate Howard more a little more as time goes on. Between some of the bullshit ass kissing guests, how he's trying to be more PC, some of his stupid asinine opinions, and just a lot of little things have been annoying me over the years.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and will always listen, but the dude is pretty easy to hate these days. So I can only imagine what it is like for those constantly around him.

Grinchy

Banned
^Yeah us listeners get more and more annoyed with him, so I can't even imagine how annoying it must be to be dependent on him for a living. You'd have to secretly hate him while pretending he's the world's most prominent genius.

How do you think Scott, Benjy, and Bobo feel getting ripped on about their balding, while Howard's wig gets thicker and darker every year?
The hate must be strong but the payoff cash must be great.

Risible

I loved listing to Howard back when he was on terrestrial radio, but even back then I always thought he would be an absolute nightmare to live with, like truly a monster. I can't imagine having to rely on him for a living.

What makes you say that? I don't disagree but I don't pick up a lot from cues from on air as Fred and Howard rarely interact directly.

Didn't someone recently say Fred has the easiest job in radio? I believe he's third highest paid, maybe fourth after horse tooth dumbass.

Grinchy

Banned
What makes you say that? I don't disagree but I don't pick up a lot from cues from on air as Fred and Howard rarely interact directly.

Didn't someone recently say Fred has the easiest job in radio? I believe he's third highest paid, maybe fourth after horse tooth dumbass.

I can vaguely remember multiple instances, but I can't remember them specifically enough to describe them well. It's just that every time Howard does go to Fred (usually near the start of the show), there are 2 sentences of nice talk and then he immediately starts getting mean. Fred sounds obviously annoyed but has to hold his tongue and Howard then pokes at him again for being silent. Also, there are times when Fred didn't read Howard's mind on what audio he wanted played and Fred is just like, "How was I supposed to know THAT." And then Howard starts in on Fred not working hard enough, ect.

It's like Howard wants Fred to explode on him. I think Howard is well aware of the fact that Fred doesn't like him and maybe he feels like Fred should show his eternal gratitude for employing him this whole time. I don't know what Fred makes, but he's always very quick to comment that, financially, he'd have to keep working if the show were to end. Robin and Howard seem to be the only ones with FU money. Even Gary would have to keep working.

Risible

I can vaguely remember multiple instances, but I can't remember them specifically enough to describe them well. It's just that every time Howard does go to Fred (usually near the start of the show), there are 2 sentences of nice talk and then he immediately starts getting mean. Fred sounds obviously annoyed but has to hold his tongue and Howard then pokes at him again for being silent. Also, there are times when Fred didn't read Howard's mind on what audio he wanted played and Fred is just like, "How was I supposed to know THAT." And then Howard starts in on Fred not working hard enough, ect.

It's like Howard wants Fred to explode on him. I think Howard is well aware of the fact that Fred doesn't like him and maybe he feels like Fred should show his eternal gratitude for employing him this whole time. I don't know what Fred makes, but he's always very quick to comment that, financially, he'd have to keep working if the show were to end. Robin and Howard seem to be the only ones with FU money. Even Gary would have to keep working.

Wow, is that true? I always assumed the core group (Howard, FlaFlaFlohigh, Robin, and Fred) were set money-wise. They've been so highly rated for so long I just assumed they all had big bucks. That sucks if that's true.

Dalek

Yeah Fred has said before he's not financially set. Which is weird to me. Fred has been with Howard the longest of anyone-and he's by far the wittiest person on the staff.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, is that true? I always assumed the core group (Howard, FlaFlaFlohigh, Robin, and Fred) were set money-wise. They've been so highly rated for so long I just assumed they all had big bucks. That sucks if that's true.
I have no idea, personally. I can only go off of what I've heard on the show. But almost every time there's a contract "negotiation" going on, they discuss what everyone would do if Howard didn't re-sign. Fred seems to always make it clear that he'd have to work somewhere because he's not that well off.

Don't know how accurate this is but apparently he makes 6 mil a year.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/fred-norris-net-worth/

He's 60 if he can't retire off of what he has, I'm never going to retire.

lmao there is no way

Even Artie was bragging about making $3M or so and that was Sirius + Standup + whatever else and I'm sure he was also inflating it.

I kinda wanna know what the lower rung of the group makes? For some reason I feel like Sal is poor as shit. Like I know he's always talking about his money problems, but I feel like he's even poorer than he lets on, for some reason.

I also feel like Howard probably does not go to bat for his crew during negotiations. He gets his and the rest fight for the scraps. Its always, "I don't pay them. Sirius pays them." Like he can't fucking go to bat to get a little extra for his guys.

I kinda wanna know what the lower rung of the group makes? For some reason I feel like Sal is poor as shit. Like I know he's always talking about his money problems, but I feel like he's even poorer than he lets on, for some reason.

I also feel like Howard probably does not go to bat for his crew during negotiations. He gets his and the rest fight for the scraps. Its always, "I don't pay them. Sirius pays them." Like he can't fucking go to bat to get a little extra for his guys.

There was an episode where they talked about Sal making over $100K as a stock broker but took a pay cut to work at Stern. I want to say they mentioned $85K but I might be making that up.

Also JD lives in a studio, but it's NYC so who the fuck knows.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah JD moved into Manhattan at some point, so hopefully he's doing ok. It may be a crappy, run-down studio apartment, but when you want to live in that awful, dirty city, even that bullshit requires a decent salary.

Yeah JD moved into Manhattan at some point, so hopefully he's doing ok. It may be a crappy, run-down studio apartment, but when you want to live in that awful, dirty city, even that bullshit requires a decent salary.

I can't imagine many of these guys live extravagant lifestyles. Outside of food, none of them invest heavily into clothes or themselves. None of them appear to be into superficial goods either. Gary is probably the exception with his collections, gadgets, and pretending to be famous. The rest don't seem to give a damn and all appear fairly modest and down to earth.

Well except Jason Kaplan. Fuck that guy.

I can't imagine many of these guys live extravagant lifestyles. Outside of food, none of them invest heavily into clothes or themselves. None of them appear to be into superficial goods either. Gary is probably the exception with his collections, gadgets, and pretending to be famous. The rest don't seem to give a damn and all appear fairly modest and down to earth.

Well except Jason Kaplan. Fuck that guy.

And Robin. She would probably go broke within 5 years of Howard retiring.

no way, Robin owns multi-homes, vaca everywhere,shes set for life.

I dont know man. She's a scatterbrain (she still has an AOL subscription because she doesn't want to be bothered to figure out how to stop it), susceptible to being tricked (that art fund nonsense), and I'm not sure she hires the best people to assist with her life. Also she owned multiple homes. Her beach home went into foreclosure. I think she just has the one now unless I'm mistaken.

Dalek

I dont know man. She's a scatterbrain (she still has an AOL subscription because she doesn't want to be bothered to figure out how to stop it), susceptible to being tricked (that art fund nonsense), and I'm not sure she hires the best people to assist with her life. Also she owned multiple homes. Her beach home went into foreclosure. I think she just has the one now unless I'm mistaken.

Foreclosure? For real?

Grinchy

Banned
I dont know man. She's a scatterbrain (she still has an AOL subscription because she doesn't want to be bothered to figure out how to stop it),

lol I vaguely remember this coming up one day and she said she had to keep it because otherwise she couldn't do email. When people pointed out that you don't need to pay AOL for that, she said she needed it to get on the internet. She really has no clue. She seems to actually believe that you need to log in to some service before you can even get Google to show up on your screen.

But that shouldn't shock us since she thought shoving coffee up her ass was beneficial somehow.

Kuroyume

Banned
The gas chamber killed my soul. Incredible.

Took a break from Howard prob around August of last year and started listening to the past week of shows. And? It's almost like the show returned to its roots.

Tarkus

I've served my time.

RIP Crackhead Bob.

The gas chamber killed my soul. Incredible.

Took a break from Howard prob around August of last year and started listening to the past week of shows. And? It's almost like the show returned to its roots.
The show has been really great since the resign. I can't wait to see the video of the gas chamber on Howard 360.

Noine

Dalek

Yeah I've enjoyed the show lately-just wish there was more to enjoy. Today marks the start of another 2 week vacation.

Tarkus

Fred is running the nuts and bolts of the show like air time and commercial time. His radio personality is mostly his drops, which are imo the best part of the show. It takes major creative talent to be that quick with sound fx. He's integral to the HS Show as we know it. Take a listen next time to all the sound that Fred is pumping into the show, and all off the cuff and on the spot. Irreplaceable.

Grinchy

Banned
You guys are insane if you think Robin makes $10M per year and that Fred makes anything even near that. If Fred is over $600K I'd be shocked.

Dalek

I'm listening to the Best of Satellite 10 Years special-it's so great. There were so many great moments. I'm cracking up now at the time the woman with Whooping Cough came into the studio and Howard is freaking the fuck out.

I'm listening to the Best of Satellite 10 Years special-it's so great. There were so many great moments. I'm cracking up now at the time the woman with Whooping Cough came into the studio and Howard is freaking the fuck out.

Whooping cough was a running joke for a little while after that. Satellite years were fantastic.

statham

You guys are insane if you think Robin makes $10M per year and that Fred makes anything even near that. If Fred is over $600K I'd be shocked.
I'm pretty sure she gets 10% of Sterns paycheck, she is on talk shows often, books, ect. Fred we don't hear of high cost vacations or multii homes, but I feel hes making atleast a million per year.

I'm sad they let Lisa Glasberg go, I was one of the few that liked her segments.

Top Bottom