• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
MagicJackBauer said:
Anyone else hear that story about what Artie's sister said? I guess Artie says like five words a day and doesn't get out of bed much.
That part made me laugh coming from his sister. I mean how many adults have long thought out conversations with their siblings daily.

sykoex said:
That part made me laugh coming from her sister. I mean how many adults have long thought out conversations with their siblings daily.

Haha, good point. I just expected him to be rebounding by now. How long has it been, 5 months?

nocode

Leunam said:
I caught the replay yesterday and I heard a spectacular drop that I've never heard before. Fred timed it perfectly between something Robin was saying, but out of nowhere came this "I NEED A COCK" Robin drop. Been a while since I laughed so hard at a drop.

Haven't hear the Little Lupe or the Scott Depace drops?

Depace drop "Yeah, I'm gay, I like it in the ass"

He comes in over the speaker every time to tell Fred to cut the shit.:lol

they are finally playing more artie days on the replay shows...for the 1st time ever im actually enjoying the replay show more than the live show...

gdt

The birth of a legend:

"So, what were you guys drinking all night?"

"Vodka, straight up! Thank yooooouuuuuuuu!"

I forgot how incredible that Stuck on You bit was :lol .

R2D4

Banned
With this whole Benjy thing I have to ask. What do the "writers" of the show actually do? What do they write? I just started listening to Howard in Feb but the whole show just seems like him bullshiting with Robin and the others and then they have a guest come in. Yet the show seems to have 2 or 3 writers. What do Sal and Richard do all day? Just make prank phone calls that we here once a week? I really wonder what they do all day.

nocode

R2D4 said:
With this whole Benjy thing I have to ask. What do the "writers" of the show actually do? What do they write? I just started listening to Howard in Feb but the whole show just seems like him bullshiting with Robin and the others and then they have a guest come in. Yet the show seems to have 2 or 3 writers. What do Sal and Richard do all day? Just make prank phone calls that we here once a week? I really wonder what they do all day.

Benji writes one liners and gives suggestions to Howard the entire show. He writes it on paper, and puts it in front of a little camera that Howard can look at on a tv monitor. Richard and Sal make phone calls, cut up audio books, pitch ideas, etc.

I'm glad Howard has finally taken notice to the fact that Bobo is a horrible caller and that his only topic is Beth. (and Howard TV being great)

gdt

R2D4 said:

Benjy (and Fred) does the same thing Jackie used to do. More or less write jokes during the show and pass them to Howard.

If Howard comes up with a joke thats about 5/6 seconds late, that's a Benjy (or Fred) joke.

Edit: They used to also pass jokes to Artie.

Jackie's tell, was that he would laugh extra hard if Howard just delivered a joke he wrote :lol. <3 Jackie.

Sal and Richard just sorta come up with bits (along with the rest of the crew, minus Robin) and phone calls.

Leunam

gdt5016 said:
Jackie's tell, was that he would laugh extra hard if Howard just delivered a joke he wrote :lol. <3 Jackie.

I always listen for his hoots and yelps on reruns of old segments.

R2D4

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Benjy (and Fred) does the same thing Jackie used to do. More or less write jokes during the show and pass them to Howard.

If Howard comes up with a joke thats about 5/6 seconds late, that's a Benjy (or Fred) joke.

Edit: They used to also pass jokes to Artie.

Sal and Richard just sorta come up with bits (along with the rest of the crew, minus Robin) and phone calls.

I see. I thought all of Howards jokes were just from his wit. I should have known better.

Van Owen

Banned
gdt5016 said:
I fucking hate Joan Rivers.

Yeah, she's on way too much.

I sort of hope Howard is done this year. The show has not been good since Artie's been gone, and I know if he continues I'll have to listen due to OCD.

Really when he came back Monday, you could sense that he did not want to be there, trying to get out a 10AM. Like when they first started he said he would still work occasional Fridays, and now he is cutting hours since he thinks 4 is enough, yet they still play constant bumpers, songs, and have ads so it's really not 4 hours of entertainment...

gdt5016 said:
I fucking hate Joan Rivers.

yup god damn it seems like she is on every month

Van Owen said:
Yeah, she's on way too much.

I sort of hope Howard is done this year. The show has not been good since Artie's been gone, and I know if he continues I'll have to listen due to OCD.

Really when he came back Monday, you could sense that he did not want to be there, trying to get out a 10AM. Like when they first started he said he would still work occasional Fridays, and now he is cutting hours since he thinks 4 is enough, yet they still play constant bumpers, songs, and have ads so it's really not 4 hours of entertainment...

completely agree howard should end it at the end of the year...its already dragging on since artie left and the increased 'dancing with the stars' talk is just life draining to listen too...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
You guy's suck! Just stop listening :p He needs to sign for five more years. The Jim brewer interview was great. If you can catch him doing stand up go for it. Great Show!

I hate joan rivers but this last interview was the first time that she actually seemed human. She even cried lol.

nocode

People have bitched about the show since the beginning man, there's no point in arguing. I think his Sirius days have been the best, and I hope he stays for many more years.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I hope he signs a deal where he could come in like at 7 am but I bet he wouldn't make as much money that he wants :( I never listen to him prior to sirius but he's been a big part of my life for the past 5 years. Only missed 2 shows while evacuating from a hurricane :lol

gdt

I've been listening to Howard every single day since I was about 10 (I'm a few days away from being 21). I hope he doesn't leave :/.

I've been a fan since 92 or so but I had only been able to hear the show sporadically until I started working at my career job. And since that point, I haven't missed a single episode in about 7 years.

EDIT: I just saw this picture in the "recommend art for my bedroom thread". Doesn't the guy in red look exactly like Ralph? :lol

This pool of wack packers isn't as great as the last pool. Artie is sorely missed in these segments even though I can take or leave him for most of the rest of the show. He was always great during these wacky bits.

I do have to say... bravo Big Foot. Did anyone else think he was fantastic as a judge?

R2D4

Banned
Ducky_McGee said:
This pool of wack packers isn't as great as the last pool. Artie is sorely missed in these segments even though I can take or leave him for most of the rest of the show. He was always great during these wacky bits.

I do have to say... bravo Big Foot. Did anyone else think he was fantastic as a judge?

He had on a nice suit it is.

TiVo

What kills me if people I talk to that hate Stern but then say I love "Tom Leykis", "Tom Joyner", Bob & Tom, "Insert wacky morning Show Here". Don't get me wrong when I can't hear Stern and I am in BumFuck Alabama and can only pick up the GreaseMan or Tom Lykis I will listen to them but will regret it after 20-30 minutes of unfunny & tons of commercials and a prank phone call my Grandmother could have come up with.

Midgets, Sexy girls in the Studio, ripping into the staff, turning freaks into stars, using the news person as a straight man or interrupting the news stories, sound drops, using family members in the show, talking about personal issues, self deprecating, etc, etc, etc. Everyone does this and do it so watered down or so over the top it is unfunny.

Not trying to start a war but seriously folks you are lying if you don't say ALL of these radio shows do not copy Stern. And yes the most famous line of Stern haters is "I invented so and so Robin, tell 'em Fred"

You may like Weezy and hate KRSOne. But dont hate Jay-Z and claim Vanilla Ice to be the best who ever did it.

rhino4evr

I PAY for Stern for a reason...this is easily the funniest show on the radio, and funnier then most TV shows/Movies on a regular basis. It's the most consistant program in the entertainment industry. The interviews with stars are better, the crank calls are better, and the "bits" are better then 90% of the crap out there. Long live Stern.

R2D4

Banned
This whole Scott Depace / Gary thing is pretty lame. It's been a week. No one listening cares. Maybe the 20 people that get Howard TV. The show needs more Ronnie yelling at everyone.

I hate to be so down on the show because it gets me through my work day but in the past two weeks the guests have been Joan Rivers, Lisa Lampanelli, Iron Shiek, and Greg Fitzsimmons. Really? Can these people be any more overbooked? I'd much rather they not even have a guest than have these people. Give em all a 6 month rest or so.

nocode

Except that they had Chris Rock and David Spade this week. Lewis Black also. They do have a lot of "friends of the show" come in, but people make the bookings out to be worse than they are. That being said, Cindy Lauper the other day (even though it turned out to be a great appearance) made me roll my eyes.

gdt

Maklershed said:
I hate to be so down on the show because it gets me through my work day but in the past two weeks the guests have been Joan Rivers, Lisa Lampanelli, Iron Shiek, and Greg Fitzsimmons. Really? Can these people be any more overbooked? I'd much rather they not even have a guest than have these people. Give em all a 6 month rest or so.

Man, I can't agree.

In particular, I was surprised by how much I fucking LOVED the Cindi Lauper interview. The stuff with her kid, and the bit about the gay homeless shelter was fucking gold.

And the Rock/Spade interview was fantastic, of course.

Edit: And I alway dig Greg.

Joan is the only guest I switch off on (in fact, the only time I ever switch off), but I listened to her interview to hear about her movie. I usually hate Lisa, but she was pretty funny this time, I though. Good one liners.

And come on, brain dead Iron Shiek was fun!

only good guests that have been on in the last few weeks are jim brewer and chris rock/spade...also it was just killing me when robin was talking about NBA the other day - really has it come down to this? i actually prefer listening to jason ellis at this point...

To clarify, I wasn't complaining about all guests in general. In fact I thought they've been really good lately. I thought Lewis Black, Jim Brewer, the fat lady, and surprisingly Adam Curry were great. It's just hearing Joan Rivers, Shiek, Fitzsimmons, and Lampanelli over and over again that annoys me. Particularly Joan Rivers and Lampanelli. I don't find them funny or interesting in the slightest bit. Oh well. It's better than nothing.

nocode

Maklershed said:
To clarify, I wasn't complaining about all guests in general. In fact I thought they've been really good lately. I thought Lewis Black, Jim Brewer, the fat lady, and surprisingly Adam Curry were great. It's just hearing Joan Rivers, Shiek, Fitzsimmons, and Lampanelli over and over again that annoys me. Particularly Joan Rivers and Lampanelli. I don't find them funny or interesting in the slightest bit. Oh well. It's better than nothing.

I agree 100% with you there. Especially Lampanelli. I am not shocked by her jokes. Saying shocking things are not funny if there is nothing behind it. She is a lot like all the Stern clones on radio, in that they say shocking things assuming that there is nothing else behind Stern's show. It falls flat, and is not funny at all.

I just noticed Beth (Stern) is listed as a guest on Fallon tonight. It also says 'a video game is highlighted'. I wonder what video game they're showing.

nocode

Maklershed said:
I just noticed Beth (Stern) is listed as a guest on Fallon tonight. It also says 'a video game is highlighted'. I wonder what video game they're showing.

Its video game week on Fallon. I'm really interested to see what the "surprise" game is on friday.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
nocode said:
Its video game week on Fallon. I'm really interested to see what the "surprise" game is on friday.
Yeah. If I had to guess I'd say The Last Guardian, since it wasn't at E3.

DJ_Tet

Banned
nocode said:
I agree 100% with you there. Especially Lampanelli. I am not shocked by her jokes. Saying shocking things are not funny if there is nothing behind it. She is a lot like all the Stern clones on radio, in that they say shocking things assuming that there is nothing else behind Stern's show. It falls flat, and is not funny at all.

I've been skipping Lampanelli's segments for years. She's absolutely the worst regular.

I was pissed last night (I'm listening to shows from about a year ago) and Lampanelli came on. I skipped her segment (nearly an hour! Christ get that boring cunt off the radio!) and they started talking about her again on the next show!

The Woot deal of the day today is The Griddler :lol

Unrelated: I've been passing the time listening to old fight weeks. What was everyone else listening to during the break?

gdt

I've just been digging some shows from the last few years.

I'm really missing Artie actually...hope he makes an appearance soon. That whole thing was so fucked up...

I heard Howard gave The Book of Eli a shout-out on Thursday's show, the one day I missed it! Apparently he liked it, I'm trying to find a clip of the audio. Sucks that Sirius doesn't make the old shows available online.

Top Bottom