• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

gdt

Does anyone have an inkling as to what Howard was referring to in the Jerry Seinfeld call? He was pretty direct in saying the show won't be over.

Internet? TV? Terrestrial (I doubt that one)?

ntropy

gdt5016 said:
Does anyone have an inkling as to what Howard was referring to in the Jerry Seinfeld call? He was pretty direct in saying the show won't be over.

pretty much said he is not retiring.

as far as the show, who knows.

Higgy

Maybe it's just me but the show really has been horrible lately. It's either a talk about Americas Got Talent, Idol, or some other boring celeb shit. Then he can talk about some boring staff issue for awhile. They really need to figure out who's going to sit in the Jackie/Artie chair. Robin being the main voice to spark conversation has gotten stale real quick.

If you go back and listen the the 60 minutes interview you really see how far Howard fell short if what he promised was going to be on his 2 Sirius channels. IMO he just doesn't have the burning fire anymore.

gdt5016 said:

He said that whether or not they're done at Sirius they will continue in some capacity but it will be limited compared to what is now. Either not as many days or not as many hours per show. (probably both)

Higgy said:
If you go back and listen the the 60 minutes interview you really see how far Howard fell short if what he promised was going to be on his 2 Sirius channels. IMO he just doesn't have the burning fire anymore.

The SS Howard Stern really has taken two torpedoes in its long voyage. Jackie leaving and Sirius (it was nothing but a drain on his career and drive.) I am and will always be a huge Howard Stern fan. He needs to come back to terrestrial.

gdt5016 said:
He told Robin a few weeks ago that they'd still be working together.

Bubba stated a few months ago that he thought Howard is either going to do a subscription internet thing or cut himself to three days a week or something like that if he stayed at Sirius/XM.

I know if he wanted to be relevant again (he is already rich) he would go back to terrestrial.

gdt

Howard doesn't have that fire anymore (he's an old dude), there's no reason for him to go back to terrestrial.

ToxicAdam

Even though I haven't listened for 2 years now, Stern is still strong for his first hour. If it's just him and Robin talking about pop culture or his life, it's strong stuff. Everything after that is utter shit.

If he would just pare his show back to that and sell it as a daily downloadable show, I would buy it.

gdt

Eh, I think the strongest stuff is the interviews/news hour. Honestly, for me, the show is as good as ever.

Except Joan Rivers. Fuck Joan Rivers.

Alison and the kids were alot more interesting then Beth. He could go on for hours about his ex-wife. With Beth its usually talk about sex or how hard it is to be rich.

nocode

Wow. You want him to go back to terrestrial? Are you people insane? The show on Sirius has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than what it was on the radio. Wow, I don't understand how you can even begin to say that. And another thing. He doesn't only talk about "america's got talent/american idol/what ever other show you all hate". I remember listening to endless rants on survivor, melrose place and 90210 back on terrestrial. People and their grass was greened theories and this show are nuts. It's the same core show, but now it's uncensored. Yesterday he interviewed Jerry Seinfeld. A couple of weeks ago they had a long conversation with Stallone.

Leunam

I fucking hope not. Eric is an undeserving prick. He's funny when he's mad or when they're trolling him but I hate how he's always asking celebrities on the show for parts in their work whether it be movies or TV.

gdt

Leunam said:
I fucking hope not. Eric is an undeserving prick. He's funny when he's mad or when they're trolling him but I hate how he's always asking celebrities on the show for parts in their work whether it be movies or TV.

That's the point!

I'm a few days behind, so I haven't heard what went on with Eric, but god, him on the red carpet sounds like a dream come true to me.

I was literally in tears today from the Pat Robertson audio clips. The mentions of Peter North really got me.

EDIT: Can anyone that listened to today's show explain Robin's tweet .. @rqui: Howard had some interesting things to say about his future today on Sirius. The world should be listening.

Soybean

There's no way I'd want him to go back to terrestrial radio and have to censor himself and his guests. Going on Sirius has been a miracle. That Best of Sirius week really highlighted for me how much better the show has gotten, and how much I miss Artie. :(

Sirius or Internet. Either way is fine by me.

Ralph's tweet reminded me that the Jerry Lewis telethon is going on. That's usually good for a few clips. With each passing year Jerry sounds angrier and angrier. It's only a matter of time until he takes a swing at someone in the studio.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Maklershed said:
Ralph's tweet reminded me that the Jerry Lewis telethon is going on. That's usually good for a few clips. With each passing year Jerry sounds angrier and angrier. It's only a matter of time until he takes a swing at someone in the studio.
From JD's twitter:

jdharm Seven minutes in, Jerry Lewis already makes a Nazi reference....should be a good show.

:lol

gdt

God, I love Hanzi, he's a lunatic at this point :lol .

He thinks Howard has his emails and phone calls :lol .

gdt

Wow, Howard is really getting into this internet line. I'd be so stoked for that. Imagine having his ENTIRE archive available at anytime. The whole thing.

That would rock.

Trevelyon

gdt5016 said:
Oh my god, I really hope Artie comes in.

Me too, before the Sirius contract is up, Howard should really allow him on. The fans have been clamouring hard for some sort of true insight into the events of the night or the very most closure on the matter, since Howard has been extremely reluctant to even broach the 'Artie issue' on air, and if Art's now in a good place and in a better frame of mind and willing to tell his story, then by all means, could actually be extremely therapeutic for him and ultimately help in his recovery.

Though, Robin's deep hesitation on the matter just smacked of her Jackie jitters (any time 'Jackie' and 'return' are mentioned she flips out) He was obviously a turbulent and sometimes disruptive element inside and out of the show (not unlike Jackie) and she was probably the most critical of him throughout. Get the feeling she's hesitant in letting Artie back, even as guest, as it could possibly lead to his return and thus breaking up the autopilot pace of the show, especially going into its next phase.

nolookjones said:
he has totally lost it at this point...radio gold

Too bad it's mostly shtick. Sirius era wack packers have been horrible, with the exception of Bigfoot, a true original it is.

BhZqy.jpg

I just heard that Hanzi segment today. Man is he fucked up. I was loving Fred's drops "Nonononono! Nonononono!"

Also, I know he was trying to be outrageous but Howard complaining about the Iron Man head really left a bad taste in my mouth. That was just totally not funny and completely rude. Gary Whitta - don't ever send him anything!

(You should probably consider sending me Denzel's glasses or bible though :D)

Top Bottom