• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

R2D4

Banned
I really think Sirius is the best he's going to get. If he goes podcasting or live streaming or whatever you really want to hook your phone up to your car radio? I listen to Howard and Bubba in my work vehicle. If they leave Sirius it would really suck. I really don't want to download a podcast or use my phone to stream it to my car. Pain in the ass. I'm sure I'm not a lone. Especially with all the people that have been listening to him from the beginning that are getting pretty old now. I'm sure the large majority of people don't want to mess with getting him by smartphone or podcast.

DJ_Tet

Banned
If Internet Radio is to take off and become legit, there will have to be a wi-fi device in the car to translate that signal into a traditional type of radio interface.

R2D4 said:
I really think Sirius is the best he's going to get. If he goes podcasting or live streaming or whatever you really want to hook your phone up to your car radio? I listen to Howard and Bubba in my work vehicle. If they leave Sirius it would really suck. I really don't want to download a podcast or use my phone to stream it to my car. Pain in the ass. I'm sure I'm not a lone. Especially with all the people that have been listening to him from the beginning that are getting pretty old now. I'm sure the large majority of people don't want to mess with getting him by smartphone or podcast.
Pretty much all cars now come with an MP3 jack, it would be a small matter to set up a daily podcast subscription to your MP3 player or phone and plug it into your car radio. Plus it would be great to be able to listen to the show from the beginning and not wherever it happens to be when you turn on the radio. Plus, no commercial breaks! (or at least ones you can scrub through).

Ultimately though none of this is a replacement for the golden days of terrestrial radio. I remember recently the Stern show was playing a classic bit where they were running Bababooey's old "please take me back" videotape he made for his ex-girlfriend; one caller in his car called in to say that he was stuck in freeway traffic and he could see everyone in their cars all cracking up as they were listening to the show. That kind of communal experience can never happen today with the limited subscriber satellite radio market, and it certainly cannot happen with podcasts.

Gary Whitta said:
Pretty much all cars now come with an MP3 jack, it would be a small matter to set up a daily podcast subscription to your MP3 player or phone and plug it into your car radio. Plus it would be great to be able to listen to the show from the beginning and not wherever it happens to be when you turn on the radio. Plus, no commercial breaks! (or at least ones you can scrub through).

Ultimately though none of this is a replacement for the golden days of terrestrial radio. I remember recently the Stern show was playing a classic bit where they were running Bababooey's old "please take me back" videotape he made for his ex-girlfriend; one caller in his car called in to say that he was stuck in freeway traffic and he could see everyone in their cars all cracking up as they were listening to the show. That kind of communal experience can never happen today with the limited subscriber satellite radio market, and it certainly cannot happen with podcasts.

I don't think that communal experience can be had ANYWHERE as it relates to radio nowadays. There are just too many different delivery mediums competing for the same audience. It isn't like 20+ years ago when all you had were cassettes and radio or nothing.

Have you been listening the show for the past two weeks? Baba-Ballbusting has been at level red what with the release of Gary's new book. Classic Stern show moments being made every day. I think the show is still very good but there are aspects I find missing in its current form.

When the show was on traditional radio people who weren't necessarily fans would call up and yell at Howard. Since the only people who listen to the show now are die hard fans you'll don't get callers like that one Jamaican lady who kept saying "It doesn't MATTA!"

nocode

Gary Whitta said:

I really miss those times too. Every once in a while I'll be stuck in traffic around NY with Stern on. I'll be sitting there laughing my ass off, look around, and realize that between the delay/smaller listener base, seeing people laughing in their cars thing doesn't happen anymore.

Small price to pay for how great the show has been on satellite though IMO

Does anyone really think that if Eric the Midget gets his IQ scores off the air that the show will be done with him?

With less than 20 shows left it's not as if that's a huge threat. Still... even if the show was renewed on Satellite for another couple years it would only take a few months for the show to come around. Howard loves that little midget too much.

gdt

I also love ETM. The fact that he's so difficult and such an asshole is the very reason I love him so much. I don't think Howard would ever drop him.

I hope he doesn't get his IQ off the air, but either way, this whole controversy is almost as good as the bit itself.

nocode

Van Owen said:
It seems like Robin should be a lot thinner after years of only eating vegetables and training for a marathon...

I'm not the biggest Robin fan, but for someone that is almost 60 years old, she looks pretty damn good. Her pitch was MILES better than Gary's. Sucks so bad that we have to wait over a week to hear them comment on this.

Edit: Just looked at that youtube link which you were probably basing your opinion on. That must be old, because she looks a lot better now.

Has Howard hinted at all what he's going to do next year? I'd say most likely he'll stay with Sirius for maybe 3 days a week. If not then he might do some kind of podcast thing. But if he's leaving or going somewhere else then he hasn't gotten anything setup or ready. So it seems like it would be months and months before he started doing his next thing if he leaves Sirius cause they have to set up a studio and all that kind of stuff at the new place (unless Sirius lets him use his current studio and equipment for working somewhere else).

Blackface

Banned
R2D4 said:

Opie and Anthony are the best duo on radio, give them a shot.

smurfx

get some go again
Maklershed said:
According to her Twitter, she'll be talking about her new online cooking show, "Vegucating Robin".
lol robin threw a pitch on the show and it was perfect. can't wait for the show to come back from vacation and have them resume the gary ball busting. :lol

adztds.gif

1zg81lg.jpg

kimmels reaction after the pitch. he knew he had screwed gary once again after she threw that perfect pitch.

Robin had me hot and bothered. She's a tiny bit on the chubby side but she's damn cute for nearly 60 years old. Plus her knockers looked great. :D

nocode

It really blows me away at how angry and upset Gary is with Kimmel over this. He genuinely gave him 3 chances to redeem himself and toss a baseball 60 feet. This is not some difficult thing to do, AT ALL. Gary went on and on about how he can really throw great, and was just psyched out at Citi field, and Kimmel I think was giving him a shot to get it right. Even still this week on the show Gary was in complete denial that he throws like a girl. He really needs to face it. I can throw a baseball lefty better than he threw it, and I'm hardly a major league player. He can't throw, stop denying it and face the facts. The fact that he got so angry at Kimmel for giving him a chance to redeem himself is insane. Typical crybaby. I love Gary, but he's gotta face the facts on this one.

AVclub

Stern has re-signed for another 5 years with Sirius/XM....they are reporting it all over the news. This is fan-fucking-tastic! What a great piece of news to wake up to. I can't wait to hear his comments on the whole thing.

nocode

Awwwww yeah. Thank god he is staying. He'll be available on the Sirius app starting Jan 3rd as well! Great day.:D

xclaw

AVclub said:
Stern has re-signed for another 5 years with Sirius/XM....they are reporting it all over the news. This is fan-fucking-tastic! What a great piece of news to wake up to. I can't wait to hear his comments on the whole thing.

So happy right now! Glad to since my resub it up on the 16th this month... be buying another few years now!

Darko

AVclub said:

sweet! :D link?

gdt

Hmm, I admit I was curious as to what his other plans were, and I think he would've done very well on his own.

Anywho, I wonder what his schedule is like this time. There really is no reason for him to wake up so early anymore.

CaptainABAB

Finally!

Under the terms of the new contract, SIRIUS XM will now have the right to transmit Howard's exclusive programming to mobile devices

I assume this means he will be on the iPhone app. (Beaten by nocode ..arrgghh!)

Stern will work four days a week in the first part of his contract, then it will fall to three days per week in the coming years as his retirement nears.

xclaw

CaptainABAB said:
Finally!

I assume this means he will be on the iPhone app.

Ya I just got off the phone with Sirius and they were touting apps for Android and iPhone...

AVclub

The show has been knocking it out of the park lately with interviews, guests and general funny antics. I hope the level of quality continues and they don't just fall into the "Oh man, we're stuck here for another 5 years" mentality.

I remember when the show first started on Sirius there was so much positive energy and excitement in the room. That was among my favorite periods of listening over the last 15 years or so.

AVclub

CaptainABAB said:
I really thought that Stern was done with Sirius after he blasted the CFO on Tuesday.

http://msn.fool.com/investing/gener...&source=eedmsnlnk0010001&published=2010-12-08

Only he can get away with publicly ranting against a C-level executive and still stay employed.
Yesterday he went on the air and said the story about which he was ranting misrepresented what the exec said. He basically apologized and said the rant wasn't warranted given what the man ACTUALLY said about Stern.

Van Owen

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Hmm...three days a week? Ok, that's fine, I guess.

Yeah, he'll do four days a week for the first week they come back from break, and then it will be 3 days a week after that.

"Sometimes 4 days a week" = "the new sometimes there will be a Friday show"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
does this mean he will finally replace artie and get someone else in the chair? the show isnt the same with just howard and robin

Yay, great news! And the mobile devices announcement is LONG overdue, finally I can get Howard on my iPhone! (yes I know there have been workarounds before but there should have been an official solution long ago).

Now make George Takei the permanent fourth chair and everything will be perfect!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Gary Whitta said:
Now make George Takei the permanent fourth chair and everything will be perfect!

i vote for breuer so that we can have more off the cuff "celebrity interviews". having pesci breakin balls would never get old :)

op_ivy said:
i vote for breuer so that we can have more off the cuff "celebrity interviews". having pesci breakin balls would never get old :)
Really? Breuer is great and a lot of him impressions are fantastic but his Pesci gets old after about 10 seconds :(

Top Bottom