• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

LOL I just read about how he pranked Sal, did this really happen? If so I gotta catch the replay :lol

When show writer and prank phone caller Sal Governale showed up late for work and missed the 6 AM announcement, Stern brought his staff together and somberly told them he turned down the deal and he'd be done in a week. Only after Governale broke into tears and lamented the future of his three sons did Stern tell him the real news, suggesting that Governale should show up to work on time and put some money aside because this is his last deal.

Chorazin

Gary Whitta said:
Yay, great news! And the mobile devices announcement is LONG overdue, finally I can get Howard on my iPhone! (yes I know there have been workarounds before but there should have been an official solution long ago).

Now make George Takei the permanent fourth chair and everything will be perfect!

Sweet, now I don't have to stop listening to Howard when I get out of the car at work.

And fuck yes, George is awesome on the show.

gdt

Gary Whitta said:
No no NO!

He got really annoying towards the end, but I think (hope, I guess) he'll have more restraint if/when he comes back.

At least have him back on the show so he can talk about his whole ordeal.

rise888

Awesome news to wake up to :)

I've liked the past year of just Howard and Robin. Artie in his last few months was getting obnoxious sometimes and cut others off and as a result Robin spoke a lot less. I liked sleepy Artie.

I have another request for Howard - for the next five years how about some sponsors less irritating/revolting than Ashley Madison, CougarLife and fucking Beezit? bzzzzzzzzzzz*changes station*

smurfx

get some go again
Gary Whitta said:
Yay, great news! And the mobile devices announcement is LONG overdue, finally I can get Howard on my iPhone! (yes I know there have been workarounds before but there should have been an official solution long ago).

Now make George Takei the permanent fourth chair and everything will be perfect!
NOOOOOOOOOOoooo! george takei is perfect in his current role. he would get a little stale after a few weeks.

Gary Whitta said:
I have another request for Howard - for the next five years how about some sponsors less irritating/revolting than Ashley Madison, CougarLife and fucking Beezit?
lol howards always had those kinda sponsors even when he was on regular radio.

smurfx said:
NOOOOOOOOOOoooo! george takei is perfect in his current role. he would get a little stale after a few weeks.

I guess I can see that, George is like the McRib, it's less awesome if it's available all the time.

I know, it just makes me feel bad about myself for listening to the show, the idea that his target audience seem to be identified by advertisers as either sleazy scumbags or the kind of idiots who fall for bullshit scam offers. (which, to be fair, I'm sure is largely true)

Booshka

Ya George is great a few weeks a year, I wouldn't want him to be there for 1 day only like a lot of other sit-in celebs (David Arquette, Adam Carrolla). Takei is great for a week, then he is off the show for a few months.

I hope Artie is at least back on the show to explain the last year and what happened the end of last year, but I'm not sure if I want him back on permanently. I've gotten used to the show and how it has been the last year, and I don't really want an Artie replacement. If he can come back and be funny and work with the show, I would enjoy Artie coming back.

Really happy Stern is coming back for 5 years; that Sal prank was legendary. I live in SoCal, so I turned on the west coast feed at 7 am and I wouldn't have known about the new contract if it weren't for Jillian Barberie (Reynolds, whatever) blabbing about it on Good Day LA. It would have been funny to get pranked by the show along with Sal, wonder if I would have figured it out. It was hilarious how it became all about him, when Robin, Fred and Gary were supposedly just hearing the news too, Sal didn't find that suspicious, he is so self absorbed. :lol

AVclub

Gary Whitta said:
I know, it just makes me feel bad about myself for listening to the show, the idea that his target audience seem to be identified by advertisers as either sleazy scumbags or the kind of idiots who fall for bullshit scam offers. (which, to be fair, I'm sure is largely true)
Whenever I hear an Ashley Madison commercial, I imagine a company that collects the personal information of spouses who want to cheat, then blackmails them to keep paying the monthly payments by threatening to send the cancellation notice to their home address. It's really a brilliant scam. Similar to the "penis enlargement" scam of offering a money back guarantee knowing full well that a man isn't going to call an operator to discuss with her how his tiny penis is still tiny after taking the drugs he bought.

Assuming they even need someone in the 4th chair (and that he would agree to it) I say give it to Colin Quinn. Great stories, smart, up with current events, great w/ the insults, etc.

My father will be super pleased.

To this day, getting him a Sirius radio before Howard made the switch is my best gift for him I think :lol

Possibly one of the few things that have lasted so long!

Listening to the replay now, five drum rolls so far and still no announcement, he dragged this out worse than American Idol :lol

Can't wait to hear the Sal pwnage...

danootz

I usually don't mind king of all blacks but when he called in asking about whether he could listen on the ipod...

It kills me when not a single person can chime in about the correct info with regards to technology. Not even Gary. Some tech enthusiast. And Howard, he claims to be researching these devices and he can never pronounce the names right.

And KOABs, going on about how "android is garbage and the 'h-v-o' (sic) is sick"

All these uninformed discussions and the ppl listening not knowing any better.

I know it sounds way geek elitist to moan and groan about but given the time spent talking about how they do individual research about a product or something; Sometimes they couldn't sound more far removed from the culture they attempt to discuss :p

CaptainABAB

danootz said:
I usually don't mind king of all blacks but when he called in asking about whether he could listen on the ipod...

It kills me when not a single person can chime in about the correct info with regards to technology. Not even Gary. Some tech enthusiast. And Howard, he claims to be researching these devices and he can never pronounce the names right.

And KOABs, going on about how "android is garbage and the 'h-v-o' (sic) is sick"

All these uninformed discussions and the ppl listening not knowing any better.

I know it sounds way geek elitist to moan and groan about but given the time spent talking about how they do individual research about a product or something; Sometimes they couldn't sound more far removed from the culture they attempt to discuss :p

Yeah, as a computer programmer and general tech enthusiast, this show is frustrating to listen to when it comes to technology.

And don't get me started on Ralph's love of Apple.

I finally got to hear the Sal prank and that was truly EPIC RADIO.

Howard said the show would be on the Sirius app as of today but I'm not seeing it on mine.

aparisi2274

I really wish he would expand Howard TV to other outlets besides Digital Cable. I really want it on FiOS, and I am sure there are people who would love to see it on Dish Network or DirecTV

nocode

HighAmperage said:
Huge fan of the show and glad they will be back for 5 years, but the Sal bit reeked of bullshit to me.

Well, there's always one that says this, never fails. B/c Howard has such a history of setting up fake, scripted situations on the show. Watch it on Howard tv. I don't think Sal, George and Robin are good enough actors to pull that off. They were all crying.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anything Sal-related on the show reeks of bullshit to me. He's in that Benji realm where I can't take anything he does seriously.

Although Benji has seemed to change over the past year and became more like a normal person who makes interesting points and not all shtick coma.

nocode said:
Well, there's always one that says this, never fails. B/c Howard has such a history of setting up fake, scripted situations on the show. Watch it on Howard tv. I don't think Sal, George and Robin are good enough actors to pull that off. They were all crying.

OK, OK, I'll check it out on Howard TV. I just find it really hard to believe that no one on the street said anything to Sal, no one texted him etc.

Soybean

Clearly it's a contentious issue, but I loved Artie and I'm on the fence as to whether I'd want anyone else. My worst nightmare is having someone like Greg Fitzsimmons take over. I suppose it doesn't matter in the end. If Howard's doing most of the talking, I'll be listening.

rise888

I finally heard the goof they did on Sal. Hilarious! I felt really bad for the guy.

Love that he didn't mention Christine, only his sons :lol

RS-12-09-10---Sal-the-Stockbroker-crying-on-air.jpg

RS-12-09-10---Sal-the-Stockbroker-crying-on-air-3.jpg

The one good thing about no Robin is that there'd be no news stories about fast food, nutrition, and kids being raped. I'm pretty sure I'd miss her though.

Van Owen

Banned
I won't be surprised if there are some unexpected departures. I'm sure Sirius doesn't want to pay the entire staff for a 3 day a week show.

Weenerz

Banned
Van Owen said:
I won't be surprised if there are some unexpected departures. I'm sure Sirius doesn't want to pay the entire staff for a 3 day a week show.

I wouldn't be surprised if Howard actually has Sirius paying the employees now so he gets a bigger cut. His previous contract had him paying for the entire show budget, prizes, trips and staff.

smurfx

get some go again
Weenerz said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Howard actually has Sirius paying the employees now so he gets a bigger cut. His previous contract had him paying for the entire show budget, prizes, trips and staff.
probably. he is most likely getting the same amount of money he did with the last contract and the rest of the staff will have to take a paycut.

gdt

I forget, it's History of Howard time, right?

Can't wait, I've loved all of these, except parts of the first.

From Robin's Twitter: "Hey there. Just finished portobello mushroom episode. You r gonna love it."

:lol

No Robin, no I don't think I will.

BTW - does anyone else get slightly annoyed when she crowbars some nutrition story into the news? And a lot of time its a story where the point of it is obvious .. like eating a lot of salt or fast food is bad.

If you want to hear something funny/frustrating, go back to the episodes while the merger was going through and listen to Howard rail about how if the companies merged the prices wouldn't go up, if anything they'd go down and how there'll be so much more content and better infrastructure and service. Apparently the senators trying to block the merger were right on this one.

I used to listen to this show every day. I'd listen to the aftershow pretty often as well. Then I discovered podcasts, and I canceled my subscription.

I never liked the idea that Stern didn't pay his staff enough. It seemed like he expected all this work out of them, and it gave them a chance to self promote. This was cool before there were things like Facebook, YouTube, Myspace, and twitter. None of these are pay services and I imagine they reach a wider audience. Stern talked about all these great ideas and how he would fill his channels with so much content, but he was never willing to put his money where his mouth was. He would take an exorbitant amount of money from Sirius, which in turn left less to go to other employees, and then he defers to Sirius when it comes to paying other people decent wages. I'm not saying it was his responsibility to pay people to work, but he should not promise what he was not willing to fulfill.

Edit: People like bengie need to not be on any form of radio. I get no enjoyment of hearing a guy deflect answers in a long stuttering fashion. Andrew Fitch is another offender. I understand it's interesting to his friends, but I find his inclusion on podcasts to be borderline offensive. If you're not willing to be part of the conversation, then please stop being on the show.

nocode

Anslon said:
Edit: People like bengie need to not be on any form of radio. I get no enjoyment of hearing a guy deflect answers in a long stuttering fashion. Andrew Fitch is another offender. I understand it's interesting to his friends, but I find his inclusion on podcasts to be borderline offensive. If you're not willing to be part of the conversation, then please stop being on the show.

Benji writes a ton..A TON of Howard's jokes and topics that he goes off on. Just because he doesn't laugh every time Howard reads them like Jackie did doesn't mean he didn't write them.

Is there any kind of "where are they now?" for the old characters/employees from the heyday of the E! show? I've wondered like wtf the Wack Pack or KC Armstrong (NICE!) are up to. And I assume Benjie is still on the show. That guy was hilarious.

nocode

Ninja Scooter said:
Is there any kind of "where are they now?" for the old characters/employees from the heyday of the E! show? I've wondered like wtf the Wack Pack or KC Armstrong (NICE!) are up to. And I assume Benjie is still on the show. That guy was hilarious.

KC is on a few times a year by phone. He's had a bunch of legal problems this year that were reported by Howard 100 news. Benji sits in the studio and writes for the show. He is also a nutjob.

Top Bottom