• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

ToxicAdam

Ninja Scooter said:
Is there any kind of "where are they now?" for the old characters/employees from the heyday of the E! show? I've wondered like wtf the Wack Pack or KC Armstrong (NICE!) are up to. And I assume Benjie is still on the show. That guy was hilarious.

Most are dead or in jail.

Dead:

Blue Iris
Bigfoot
Kevin Keith Kallenbach
Hank the Angry Dwarf
One of the Jesus Twins

KC has been in and out of jail for awhile. He's always in some sort of scam or owing people money.

AVclub

BTW: The other day they were talking about how nobody will ever see those 5 pilots Stern made for Fox back in the day. Well, a buddy of mine said they are currently on the Stern newsgroups. If I could figure out how to use newsgroups, maybe I'd get them, but I thought it was worth passing on the information.

Weenerz

Banned
You guys aren't tired of him rehashing the same complaints over and over? He bitched about that homeless guy for an entire week, the jokes and arguments. And he still brings up Jay Leno, wtf.

Van Owen

Banned
Usually when they do a results show like the IQ stuff it's on the last day of their work wee. But I have no idea if he will be on tomorrow or not.

Darko

Weenerz said:
You guys aren't tired of him rehashing the same complaints over and over? He bitched about that homeless guy for an entire week, the jokes and arguments. And he still brings up Jay Leno, wtf.
Hes always been like that

nocode

cubanb said:
The show went nearly 4 hours today. http://marksfriggin.com/index2.htm shows both Tuesday and Wednesday's show had Robin's News start at 9:20am and the wrap up show beginning at 10:15am.

Okay, good. Did I just get trolled by the 3 hour show guy and the other guy complaining about Howard? You're mad he brought up Jay Leno when a nationally televised interviewer asked him about it last night? Really?

gdt

I don't really have an issue with him ending earlier, and doing it 3 days a week.

He's earned it (and he's supposed to end at 10, always has but rarely did), and it's still far more content than, say, my weekly dose of Chuck.

I'm listening to the 12/16 show and I just had to laugh at the irony of Howard blasting Glen Beck for having shady sponsors and saying you can judge the quality of the show by the caliber of its advertising and then he reads a live ad for a soda making machine.

nocode

Maklershed said:
I'm listening to the 12/16 show and I just had to laugh at the irony of Howard blasting Glen Beck for having shady sponsors and saying you can judge the quality of the show by the caliber of its advertising and then he reads a live ad for a soda making machine.

Yeah, he was pointing out one day how his sponsors must mean that his listeners like to cheat on their wives (ashley madison.com) sell jewelery for drugs (cash for gold), and gamble. Haha, it's funny because it's true!

Howard said he wouldn't be tweeting much but now he can't leave it alone! He's live-tweeting a commentary track of the Private Parts movie right now, interesting stuff! @howardstern

I kind of wish that each person who bumped the thread out of obscurity would also update all the casts members. I'm curious when I see the title thread, but not enough to do a wiki search.

I recently saw an Artie Lang comedy show on Comedy Central, and he talked about the two people who saved his life. I couldn't place when this happened, because he's been off of drugs and secretly taking them while lying so much that the man belongs in jail more than anywhere else. He is a criminal who admits his crimes and has yet to be arrested for reasons I can't imagine.

Anslon said:
I kind of wish that each person who bumped the thread out of obscurity would also update all the casts members. I'm curious when I see the title thread, but not enough to do a wiki search.

I recently saw an Artie Lang comedy show on Comedy Central, and he talked about the two people who saved his life. I couldn't place when this happened, because he's been off of drugs and secretly taking them while lying so much that the man belongs in jail more than anywhere else. He is a criminal who admits his crimes and has yet to be arrested for reasons I can't imagine.
Read his book. He practically uses "___ saved my life" as punctuation. And other than Artie being gone there hasn't been any changes to the staff in years.

Maklershed said:
Read his book. He practically uses "___ saved my life" as punctuation. And other than Artie being gone there hasn't been any changes to the staff in years.
Too fat to fish? I wonder who the ghost writer on that was. (Edit: it was Anthony Bozza who also wrote Tracy Morgan's book.)

I did end up checking the Wikipedia page and followed some links to different shows. The most interesting to me was the nose dive of Bubba the Love Sponge. Back when I was a big listener to Howard's show, I was also working at a call center for Sirius customer support. I received two calls the same day about people wanting to cancel their subscription over the matter of Bubba leaving Sirius. I didn't handle their cancellations because I wasn't in that department. Apparently he was trying to do his contract negotiations over the air, always a classy move, and things broke down. He was cut off while doing a tirade against his employer.

Now, years later, I see that the boost he got from Sirius is totally gone, and he's hosting a show on the internet. Couldn't think of a more fitting match.

P.S.: Seeing his history with history with TNA wrestling, a hilarious bit of red neck celebrity that ended up badly when he ragged on Haiti after the earth quake, was icing on the cake.

nocode

Gary Whitta said:
Howard said he wouldn't be tweeting much but now he can't leave it alone! He's live-tweeting a commentary track of the Private Parts movie right now, interesting stuff! @howardstern

I saw that David Spade is doing this today for Tommy Boy. What are the odds that this becomes a thing now, and in a couple of years everyone will give Howard shit for claiming he did it first?

Van Owen

Banned
The self-congratulating he's been doing on Twitter for the commentary thing is so ridiculous I had to unfollow him.

Thank God he's off Monday so I don't have to hear how "innovative" it was for an hour.

nocode

Van Owen said:
The self-congratulating he's been doing on Twitter for the commentary thing is so ridiculous I had to unfollow him.

Thank God he's off Monday so I don't have to hear how "innovative" it was for an hour.

I actually agree with you about the self-congratulating. As well as giving a run down of his conversations over twitter on the show. "So I tweeted blah blah blah, and she tweeted back.." Not interesting at all. But its a new thing he just discovered, and Howard always does this with shit like that. It'll settle down. The live commentary on his movie was pretty fucking interesting though, you have to give it to him for that.

Weenerz

Banned
I'm surprised he hasn't thrown a tantrum yet because his "millions" of listeners to his satellite show aren't following him on twitter.

Van Owen

Banned
nocode said:
I actually agree with you about the self-congratulating. As well as giving a run down of his conversations over twitter on the show. "So I tweeted blah blah blah, and she tweeted back.." Not interesting at all. But its a new thing he just discovered, and Howard always does this with shit like that. It'll settle down. The live commentary on his movie was pretty fucking interesting though, you have to give it to him for that.
Yeah, I was on the edge of my seat seeing him gloat about Giamatte and how Edie Falco was in the backseat of the car for the 800th time.

nocode

Van Owen said:
Yeah, I was on the edge of my seat seeing him gloat about Giamatte and how Edie Falco was in the backseat of the car for the 800th time.

Way to pick the worst of the bunch. Eh, maybe you're done with Stern. Nothing wrong with that.

I still think the show is better than ever, and I love the Sirius years more than any other "era" of the show.

Van Owen said:

Agreed, the tweet commentary was awesome but obviously he is still learning the basics of Twitter etiquette, and one of those basics is that you don't retweet every single comment you get about how awesome you are.

dropping in to say i miss Artie. i hope he gets on the show for one more appearance again, with George of course, but no phone calls. i can only hope he's in a good place right now.

danootz

I know a fair amount of humor is pretty adolescent on the show, but the computer generated dialogue is getting tired as hell. And it's only been about 2 days I've heard them using it.

I'm guessing Howard is getting real big on technology ever since he got his Droid Pro and hopped on Twitter, but as soon as he heard Fred using the dictionary.com/google translate voice generation, it's like a 10 year old thinking he's clever making it say dirty things. I hope he get's over it soon. It doesn't help that the system doesn't speak some of the things clearly in addition to him and Robin talking over it and then them having to repeat it.

Trevelyon

It's a flash in the pan, hopefully its forgotten as quickly as wackpacker to be, "Hillbilly Jack". Though the twitter garbage is here for the foreseeable future, until Howchie gets back on the Chess tip or..... North Shore Animal League explodes.

Trevelyon said:
It's a flash in the pan, hopefully its forgotten as quickly as wackpacker to be, "Hillbilly Jack". Though the twitter garbage is here for the foreseeable future, until Howchie gets back on the Chess tip or..... North Shore Animal League explodes.
Ha I forgot all about Hillbilly Jack. Guess he didn't work out quite as well as Bigfoot.

Trevelyon

If I recall correctly he was pretty much a developed oddity/personality known throughout other radio markets already, with his own line of merchandise ready to shill. It was a bad fit and a terrible choice in a pretty lackluster line up, most of the best wackpackers are just stumbled upon randomly and molded organically by the show, though the *new Bigfoot was a great find in that contest.

AVclub

It's amazing how a man can put five hours of original programming on every weekday for 25 years and still get shit on the internet for 15 dull minutes here and there. Then he starts spending more of his own personal time to interact with fans and provide additional original content on Twitter, and that seems to be fodder for more shit.

Internet critics are awesome! :D

Booshka

That's how most Stern fans are, which is why he got rid of the forums on his official site. Now, he tries to avoid going on sternfannetwork like the plague, all people do on there is bitch and complain.

It's also a nostalgia thing, I always hear about how amazing the old years were, I've only been listening since 04, but every new year seems as good or better than the last.

danootz

Trevelyon said:

I don't mind the Twitter stuff at all. I'm kind of glad to see him on there.
It probably confuses some listeners who shared the sentiment when Howard thought things like FB and Twitter were wastes of time and now have to listen to him spend several portions of the show discussing it.

Howard just said on Jon Stewart that they might have Charlie Sheen calling in on Wednesday. I guess they got his cell number somehow and Gary called and Charlie actually answered. Could be epic.

AVclub

Gary Whitta said:
The problem is everyone's going to be sick of Charlie Sheen by then. The guy did like six interviews today.
...and not one of them was uncensored the way it would be on Stern. Also, there isn't an interviewer on this planet that can milk the crazy from a guest like Stern. I expect great things.

Top Bottom