• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

aparisi2274

Anyone watching Stern on Kimmel?

Its weird, cause Howard is in NYC, but they are making it like he is in LA on the set of the show...

aparisi2274 said:
Anyone watching Stern on Kimmel?

Its weird, cause Howard is in NYC, but they are making it like he is in LA on the set of the show...

I'm waiting for it on the west coast but it sounds...weird.

Comedian Gilbert Gottfried fired as voice of Aflac duck

http://www.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/03/14/georgia.aflac.duck/index.html?hpt=T2#

The Aflac duck lost its voice Monday after the insurance giant fired the comedian behind the commercial quack for tweeting jokes about the earthquake and tsunami that has devastated Japan.

The Columbus, Georgia-based company fired Gilbert Gottfried less than an hour after discovering the tweets, according to a news release from Aflac.

"Gilbert's recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac," Michael Zunda, the company's senior vice president and chief marketing officer, said in a statement.

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking when I read the article "Haven't these people seen Dirty Jokes?" it has the most offensive, profane jokes ever.

AVclub

He was still working for them after making the Jokes about 9/11 at that roast where he went on to tell "The Aristocrats" joke, right? Could his tweets have been any worse than that?

This is the same guy who on the Howard Stern show... pretended he was molesting black children AS THE AFLAC DUCK!

Gilbert is my favorite comedian alive today. Aflac knew who he was when they hired him. This isn't the first time he's said something in poor taste.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Ducky_McGee said:
This is the same guy who on the Howard Stern show... pretended he was molesting black children AS THE AFLAC DUCK!

Gilbert is my favorite comedian alive today. Aflac knew who he was when they hired him. This isn't the first time he's said something in poor taste.

Seriously. This shit makes me angry.

Perhaps AFLAC should change their mascot to a fucking ostrich, cause their head has clearly been in the sand for a decade.

Get a life AFLAC, no one is buying your PC bullshit. Gottfried's act hasn't changed since the 80's.

DJ_Tet said:
Get a life AFLAC, no one is buying your PC bullshit. Gottfried's act hasn't changed since the 80's.
To most people that would be an insult but its literally true with Gilbert. "Back in my day we had these things called westerns."

<3 Gilbert

dem

Back in the day Gilbert was the voice for the mayo jar in miracle whip ads..

He got fired from that too once they heard him on Stern.

I'm going to say it again.

GILBERT PRETENDED TO MOLEST CHILDREN AS THE AFLAC DUCK ON HOWARD STERN.

That didn't lose him the gig. Gilbert apologizing for a joke he made is like a dagger through my comedy heart.

DJ_Tet

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Gilbert must not have saved his 'Up All Night' money :(

gmOZJ.jpg

Ohhhh That's Right!

Anyone read the RS article yet? I thought it was good. I've been listening for so long that I didn't really find anything new from it. I knew Howard struggles with his anger and constant need for approval and no big revelation on the situation with Artie. It's a family matter so that's why Howard doesn't say too much about it.

Good interview with Bill Murray. I wish Bill would've sounded more in to it but oh well. Interesting none the less.

(and yes I'm still quite a bit behind)

I did hear a tad bit of live show this weekend and can't wait to hear whatever this controversey is with Lisa G and Howard TV. Sounded good based on the wrap up show but I couldn't make out what exactly happened. All I know is Gange and Scott got shrapnel as well and I love hearing those two get in trouble.

Yeah a little bit. He mentioned basically that he's had the script on his desk for awhile now but he just hasn't gotten around to it because its not high on his priorities right now. (sounded like he wasn't into doing another one)

Van Owen

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Ugh, did he confirm 3-day weeks on the show today? What extra day is he cutting out?
Did you really think it wouldn't happen?

Howard has been in the cash-out phase since he got to Sirius.

nocode

Van Owen said:
Did you really think it wouldn't happen?

Howard has been in the cash-out phase since he got to Sirius.

Oh, you're one of those people. Ugh, so annoying. I knew someone like you when I was in high school and Howard released Private Parts. Same stupid comments over and over, when meanwhile the show on Sirius are the best years. I've heard it every time his career has any sort of change like leaving NBC, writing books, Billy leaving, movie, divorce, Jackie leaving, Artie, etc etc etc.

smurfx

get some go again
nocode said:
Oh, you're one of those people. Ugh, so annoying. I knew someone like you when I was in high school and Howard released Private Parts. Same stupid comments over and over, when meanwhile the show on Sirius are the best years. I've heard it every time his career has any sort of change like leaving NBC, writing books, Billy leaving, movie, divorce, Jackie leaving, Artie, etc etc etc.
no fucking way the sirius years are the best. the best years were the jacky years and the early artie years. not everything stays as good forever but to say the sirius years are the best is nuts. wish the wrap up show was 2 hours long though.

nocode

smurfx said:
no fucking way the sirius years are the best. the best years were the jacky years and the early artie years. not everything stays as good forever but to say the sirius years are the best is nuts. wish the wrap up show was 2 hours long though.

I stand by my statement. I should have added IMO I guess, but I figured it was obvious.

gdt

Howard can cut a day. He (and his people) put out an insane amount of content weekly. Will I miss that day? Absolutely.

But he can take that day. Doesn't bother me too much.

ToxicAdam

I don't listen to Howard anymore, but his latest contract really should have been 5 1-hour days. His first hour of the show is as good as any other content out there and he could do it with much less overhead.

I just don't think his ego would allow him to take such a drastic paycut.

Van Owen

Banned
nocode said:
I stand by my statement. I should have added IMO I guess, but I figured it was obvious.
They're by far the worst years. They were much more tolerable when Artie was there. And now Howard doesn't even care about filling the chair. Having Robin being the one other regular mic is awful.

nocode

Van Owen said:
They're by far the worst years. They were much more tolerable when Artie was there. And now Howard doesn't even care about filling the chair. Having Robin being the one other regular mic is awful.

Well, now you're just wrong. It's more like the krock days now with just Howard and Robin. So I assume you think the best years were when Jackie was still around, but say that it sucks when it's just Howard and Robin on the mic. Jackie didn't talk all that often during the day to day show at all. He used to have to lean over to use a mic because his was hardly ever on.

Van Owen

Banned
Well, Jackie wrote better jokes than Benjy and was the only one to ever call Howard out on his shit which kept things interesting. And Howard is a lot different than he was back then. Now he's going through the motions to get done by 10 and Robin is there to agree with anything he says.

The best days were with Billy West though.

nocode

Van Owen said:
Well, Jackie wrote better jokes than Benjy and was the only one to ever call Howard out on his shit which kept things interesting. And Howard is a lot different than he was back then. Now he's going through the motions to get done by 10 and Robin is there to agree with anything he says.

Before the new contract, so less than 3 month ago, the show ran until 11 regularly, and usually longer. And they give Robin more shit than ever because of all her green drinks, enemas, wines, and travel. Sooo, go back to SFN and take all those whining bullshit reasons with you.

Or, its all opinion, and both of us are right..or wrong.

ToxicAdam said:
I don't listen to Howard anymore, but his latest contract really should have been 5 1-hour days. His first hour of the show is as good as any other content out there and he could do it with much less overhead.

I just don't think his ego would allow him to take such a drastic paycut.

+100 im also really pissed off that he wont get artie back or replace him...

oh an the jackie years were terrible...

smurfx

get some go again
nolookjones said:
+100 im also really pissed off that he wont get artie back or replace him...

oh an the jackie years were terrible...
are you a new howard stern listener? how can you possibly say they were terrible.

nocode said:
Well, now you're just wrong. It's more like the krock days now with just Howard and Robin. So I assume you think the best years were when Jackie was still around, but say that it sucks when it's just Howard and Robin on the mic. Jackie didn't talk all that often during the day to day show at all. He used to have to lean over to use a mic because his was hardly ever on.
i didn't like jackie on the show because of his opinions but the jokes he wrote for howard and other material he helped write. although it was nice having somebody there that would bust howards balls. all they do now on the show is kiss each others asses. jason and occasionally sal are the only ones who tell people the truth.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I only listen to the interviews, JD, Rickyman (LFSW), and Sal & Rich stuff these days. His banter with Robin about iPads and cellphones gets old.

It sucks for fans that Howard will be cutting his time back but the guy is nearing retirement age and even with the reduced schedule he will still be producing more quality original content every week than most people in entertainment. Plus he doesn't owe us anything, he's earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.

As for Jackie I was never really a fan of his material but I feel like his presence on the show was (and continues to be) priceless if only because it's hilarious to hear Howard mock him in that faux high-pitch Jackie voice.

smurfx

get some go again
Gary Whitta said:
It sucks for fans that Howard will be cutting his time back but the guy is nearing retirement age and even with the reduced schedule he will still be producing more quality original content every week than most people in entertainment. Plus he doesn't owe us anything, he's earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.
i agree but i wish he didn't cut the wrap up show down to an hour or even less sometimes. i'll be honest i sometimes want howard to rush through the news so the wrap up show can get started. i think its become a good show and its at its best when they are just goofing around and talking about other topics other than howard or the show.

Salmonax

Gary Whitta said:
As for Jackie I was never really a fan of his material but I feel like his presence on the show was (and continues to be) priceless if only because it's hilarious to hear Howard mock him in that faux high-pitch Jackie voice.
And whatever you think of Jackie, he did revel in stirring things up to pretty humorous ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFodl2MunAE

As much as I've enjoyed the Sirius years, you don't get moments like this anymore, outside of perhaps Artie attacking Teddy.

Teddman

Van Owen said:
Yep. The Channel 9 show era was also particularly good, so were the early syndication days when he was only on in NY, DC, and Philly.

Jackie was a great writer. A lot of people don't realize that he used to feed Howard lines over a rudimentary IM type system, it's why his wit fell off after Jackie left.

The problem with the Sirius era is that he just doesn't reach the audience he used to, so really big name stars don't feel a need to subject themselves to his interviews for the sheer publicity of it. It was so awesome when celebrities were basically required to go into the lion's den when they had a big movie/album/show coming out, now that his audience is smaller he doesn't have that pull.

nocode

Salmonax said:
And whatever you think of Jackie, he did revel in stirring things up to pretty humorous ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFodl2MunAE

Oh man, Jackie really was great as well. I still love the Sirius years the best though.

Teddman said:
The problem with the Sirius era is that he just doesn't reach the audience he used to, so really big name stars don't feel a need to subject themselves to his interviews for the sheer publicity of it.

For all the endless Joan rivers and Lisa Lampanelli interviews there are Bill Murray, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Billy Joel and Francis Ford Coppola to make up for it. And how many listeners does he have exactly? Sirius is over 20 million, so how do you figure he has no listeners? Lets assume half of those people listen to Howard. Thats more than five times the audience of the most popular talk show hosts on tv. And Howard does a 4 hour show every day.

Top Bottom