• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

smurfx

get some go again
my favorite years of howard was when jackie was on and so was stuttering john and kc. hank the angry dwarf was still alive and crackhead bob was still a regular.

The Debbie stuff has been great. T-O-P-L-E-S-S. Topless.

The interviews have been good lately too. Sammy Hagar was amazing, and I'm not that big a fan, honestly.

My biggest complaints are too much Robin, still nobody in Artie's chair, and the fucking radio swap meet phonecalls have overstayed their welcome.

Oh, and I'm a pretty big Mac/Apple guy, and I'd been frustrated with Stern talking shit about stuff he didn't know about for years, but now that he's a switcher, I kinda am done hearing about it. If I want Apple talk, I'll listen to Gruber's awesome low-key podcast.

Lets all post when we started listening to Stern.

I personally became a casual fan in about 94 or so (thanks to the E show). At the time I was in high school so I didn't get to listen to the actual radio show a lot but I saw every E show there was. Ever since I started working full time - 2003 - I haven't missed one single broadcast. Wheeee!

"Who wants a box?! I gave away a box!"

DJ_Tet

Banned
I knew of Stern through Letterman since the late 80s but here in the bible belt (Charlotte, near the home of Jim and Tammy Fay, those god-fearing folk lol) Stern couldn't get on the radio. Eventually, by some miracle, our local fox affiliate started carrying his 'Channel 9' show when it went into Saturday syndication around 1991 or so (this was before the 'E Show on Saturdays on CBS era.) It was awesome, I absolutely loved the first week with Homeless Jeopardy.

The second show was forever burned into my brain. Kenneth Keith Callenbach did his smoke through the eyeball trick and threw up. It was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen and if I think about it now can still work myself into hysterics. Well, Howard was gone the next week, and was never again seen on our local Fox affiliate :(

Probably around 1996 before the second Jackie strike we started getting him on the radio locally. I got to hear about a year of great radio before a Jackie strike. Memories are kind of fuzzy but it seems he came back (didn't he leave for good around 2000?) Either way he was gone for awhile and the show suffered, but he came back. I think he was on in Charlotte until 1999 or so but I moved to Raleigh and they didn't have Stern. So again I was back to the dark ages.

Thank goodness for Stern fans I've been able to hear a lot of the early years, and it's amazing that the amount of shows he's put out and people have faithfully kept around. Glad they weren't lost forever, although I'm sure plenty of his material has been. What's crazy for kids to understand nowadays is when I was growing up, you couldn't just go online to get what wasn't available locally. I knew of Stern, I knew what he was doing, but I couldn't get it. 'Freedom of Speech' indeed. Stern had similar problems getting into the Atlanta market, but as far as Charlotte, except for a few morsels, and a 6 year stretch in the late 90s, Stern couldn't get on the radio here.

Sad. So much for 'choice.' Makes me laugh when I hear local radio ratings nowadays. I can't feel sorry for dying media when they made their own bed.

nocode

Well, I've listened for as long as I can remember. Jr high I guess on a regular basis though. Early 90's. My parents hated Stern and wouldn't want me listening to him (out in the open anyway), but I figured out how to reverse my stereo hookup on my homemade "surround sound" setup for my tv to tape the entire show on a VHS tape in my vcr, and listen to the show at night before I went to bed. Then I'd set up to tape over the previous day before I went to school in the morning. Haha, if only my parents knew what I was up to back then.

Having him on all day every day in my apt through the fm transmitter has been fucking amazing though.

gdt

I would rub one out to the E! show everynight in like 6th/7th grade.

In 8th grade, I skipped school with a buddy of mine, and we went to the house of his friend. He was listening to Howard, and I had an "oh shit!" moment. Memorized the station, tuned in next morning before school, and have listened EVERY SINGLE DAY since. I'm 21 now.

Juanadams

Banned
Sadly I never lived in an area that had him on terrestrial radio, but I always used to watch the E! show and once he jumped over to sirius i've listened to him ever since.

Its a bummer I missed out on a lot of his earlier stuff, but I've enjoyed a bunch of it through master tape theatre and the history of howard stern.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Master Tape Theater and History of Howard are both great, but they are edited. I've heard they take out Allison references for legal reasons, among who knows what other edits.

Trevelyon

It's difficult to get into it when it's all horrible shtick, that makes Benjy blush and sweat profusely. Such contrived horse shit typical from Hack Napkin Ed who's so, so hard up for air time it makes his ass leak worst than the Exxon Valdez.

gdt

Trevelyon said:
It's difficult to get into it when it's all horrible shtick, that makes Benjy blush and sweat profusely. Such contrived horse shit typical from Hack Napkin Ed who's so, so hard up for air time it makes his ass leak worst than the Exxon Valdez.

Oh, of course it's bullshit. At least on Ed's part, don't think on Debbie's. When the marriage plans came up, I lol'd.

smurfx said:
my favorite years of howard was when jackie was on and so was stuttering john and kc. hank the angry dwarf was still alive and crackhead bob was still a regular.
This. I stopped listening regularly shortly after Jackie left. Was just never the same.

Is it just me or are Howard's technology discussions the most boring shit on the show... like... ever.

I can usually stomach even the worst of shows but I'm getting real fucking tired of the computer and cell phone discussions. I don't give a shit about him loving his iPad for fuck sake. I'm not usually one of those listeners who complains about the show either.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It was so funny to hear karma finally striking back at Langford today. I feel like he lost a bit of respect in Howard's eyes by not coming into the studio when he was called out.

nocode said:
"What do I do?? I'm scores man you fuckin' fool"

GET RID OF THESE WIVES. SHIT.

I didn't properly represent myself on how I wanted to explain myself. What I meant was that white women don't usually have sex with black men.

Speaking of Sal. He had a few of the funniest lines since the show moved to Sirius. He had an appearance on the wrap up show that had me CRYING. He described hell as being chased around by lobsters. I don't know what it was... but I was on the floor laughing.

Another was when he came into the studio and said that if Howard got a divorce from Beth the B on his finger (tattoo) wasn't going to stand for Bitch. It would stand for broke. Great line. He's had a ton. I LOVE Sal and Richard. Sal is pure radio gold and Richard seems like the sweetest guy ever. Weird? Sure, incredibly gentle and nice sounding though. I get a warm feeling from Richard and his dad.

I also love Bengy on the show. Him showing up at that pillow fight in New York as an Israeli commando is fucking classic. Also "I'M IN YOUR LIFE TRACY. I'M IN YOUR LIFE." and "I'M A HORSEY. NEEEEEEEEIGHHHHHHHHHHH."

He needs a bigger role on the show... or his own show.

Daigoro

T-O-P-L-E-S-S

sykoex said:
It was so funny to hear karma finally striking back at Langford today. I feel like he lost a bit of respect in Howard's eyes by not coming into the studio when he was called out.

oh shit, i need to hear this. Langford is such a cunt. he really irks me.

im listening now, cant wait for this.

gdt

Gosh, wasn't Jesse Ventura just in? He's solid like once a year dammit.

But, I'm interested to hear whatever tiff he has with Benjy.

Hayward. You dont undershtand. I wuzh a marine. One day I'm gonna roll up there on the beach there in the Haymptonsh and you'll never she me coming.

Please no more Joan Rivers, Jesse Ventura, Lisa Lampenelli, or Kathy Griffin.

Trevelyon

What the fuck am I listening to.

Shtickoma at it's most bewildering, is Howard in on this? This has gotta be a bit. How does Benjy constantly get away this shit, especially in light of the still ripe Langford controversy, it's like he took Stuttering John's invincibility vest, and gave to to blotchstien Bronk.

I swear, he'll never be fired or really seriously taken to task on any of his hacky play for air time bullshit, just won't happen, he can be late every day of the working week for the rest of the Sirius contract, Howard won't do shit.

I think he missed almost every Monday episode that George was in. Probably because he figured George would be the focus anyway so why bother showing up.

Daigoro

Gary Whitta said:
What happened with Langford?

Takei let it slip that Langford called him up so he could ask to have his daughter interview George for some school project bullshit.

Stern was pissed because he hates it when employees take advantage of guests for personal shit so he called Langford out, but the fucker refused to come out of the office in to the studio and take his beating like a man.

his excuse was that his kids shouldnt be invovled, but Howard made it clear that he wanted to yell at Langford not talk about his kid.

fucking absolute hypocrite.

just listened to the aftermath from today's show. Langford didnt nearly get enough shit.

Trevelyon said:

Shtickoma at it's most bewildering, is Howard in on this? This has gotta be a bit. How does Benjy constantly get away this shit, especially in light of the still ripe Langford controversy, it's like he took Stuttering John's invincibility vest, and gave to to blotchstien Bronk.

I swear, he'll never be fired or really seriously taken to task on any of his hacky play for air time bullshit, just won't happen, he can be late every day of the working week for the rest of the Sirius contract, Howard won't do shit.

Benjy is hilarious. You don't know what you're talking about.

gdt

Langford is being really slimy with that. Hiding behind his daughter, when that was totally besides the point.

I love it!

statham

why does howard hate that his stars become popular. I kinda get it, but you are still holding people back. sal can make money on his tshirts why stop that?

Weenerz

Banned
statham said:
why does howard hate that his stars become popular. I kinda get it, but you are still holding people back. sal can make money on his tshirts why stop that?

Because he's greedy.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Trevelyon said:

Benjy was totally in the right and Howard's tantrum was just annoying. Langford bothered a guest for personal gain, Benjy "bothered" a guest for Howard TV content (and subsequently the radio show when they inevitably play the clips HTV taped).

Also here's the awesome 1994 version of this bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKBUCHOdfvE

slit

Oh man, listening to the replay for today's show and just listening to George Takai take the nipple clamps off of Jason Ellis's dick sounded painful as hell. That entire segment was just nuts, George was really into it :lol

Top Bottom