• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

Grinchy

Banned
Howard made a big deal of how he signed on for 5 more years because he was being loyal to his staff. So, surely, he would never leave early. /sarcasm

I think the Liberty Media takeover of Sirius XM is the underlying story to this, whether it's Howard being bought out, quitting or simply trying to get more money.

Kosmo

Banned
I think the Liberty Media takeover of Sirius XM is the underlying story to this, whether it's Howard being bought out, quitting or simply trying to get more money.

If that happens, I think Howard will just go to a podcast. They can still have the same setup, have a livestream, and have people call in during the show and not deal with the headache of working for a company like Sirius.

If that happens, I think Howard will just go to a podcast. They can still have the same setup, have a livestream, and have people call in during the show and not deal with the headache of working for a company like Sirius.

I used to think that'd be the best thing to happen, but I get the feeling that it's all over soon no matter what. The show has lost so much steam and Howard's not even pretending that he likes doing it anymore.

I also think Robin's health is a factor. She's been out of the studio for two months now. Something is amiss.

By the way, I guess Benjy and his girlfriend broke up? And they said it wouldn't last.

He's been mum on the Liberty Media stuff beyond his teasing about "terrible news" at the end of the show back in June (disclaimer: I might have missed a few shows so if he did discuss it then I'm interested to hear what he did say). This was a day after http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/06/...media-steps-up-its-complex-dance-with-sirius/ and I assume lots of inner turmoil has been going on since that time.

http://www.examiner.com/article/howard-stern-teases-devastating-news-at-sirius-xm
“I’ve had it here," said Stern as The Who's classic "Who Are You" blasted behind him. “What do I do?...How do you do a show when you’ve just been given devastating news?”

Listeners held their breath, bracing for tragic news about Stern's senior citizen bulldog Bianca, or a Robin Quivers cancer diagnosis, but Quivers seemed as clueless as the audience.

"What's the devastating news?" she asked.

"I don’t want to talk about it. That’s how devastating it is. I don’t know how you do that. You know what? Just finish this song and I’ll go recover.”

Stern then made it clear that the news was related to some sort of business at Sirius XM, saying:

“I’m sorry if I sound disjointed, but there’s stuff that goes on around here sometimes, and they bring it to me during the show, and sometimes it so f**ks my head up that—usually I can right back into the show, but this time, they rocked me. This time, they rocked me. There’s always something going on around here Robin. I want to get out. When you tell me you’re ready to get out, I’m getting out with you. …Let’s get out. It’s enough already. We did so much for this company, would they be kind enough to release me? If I need to? For my mental health? Would they do it for me? I mean, maybe it’s the one last decent thing they could do for me. I need to get out…”

Maybe I'm using selective memory here, but it seems like his attitude has been constant since that moment.

He's been mum on the Liberty Media stuff beyond his teasing about "terrible news" at the end of the show back in June (disclaimer: I might have missed a few shows so if he did discuss it then I'm interested to hear what he did say). This was a day after http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/06/...media-steps-up-its-complex-dance-with-sirius/ and I assume lots of inner turmoil has been going on since that time.

http://www.examiner.com/article/howard-stern-teases-devastating-news-at-sirius-xm

Maybe I'm using selective memory here, but it seems like his attitude has been constant since that moment.

He never elaborated on it at all.

Stern has been hinting at leaving Sirius lately but then again the ratings at AGT have been at all time lows since he's joined so who knows if he'll get a second season there. He might be retiring from show business altogether soon.

He never elaborated on it at all.

My guess is he has been advised to stay mum about it, but that's why he's so down on the show/Sirius as of late.

Problem is there's nowhere else he can go with radio that combines the freedom that he now requires from satellite with the insane contracts he also demands. And AGT is showing him how easy TV money is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If he leaves Sirius, I can't see him doing a 4 hour "radio" show anywhere. He could get a late night show akin to Letterman or Leno, but I would be very surprised if he were to retire completely from show biz. Dat ego is just too large.

Kosmo

Banned
If he leaves Sirius, I can't see him doing a 4 hour "radio" show anywhere. He could get a late night show akin to Letterman or Leno, but I would be very surprised if he were to retire completely from show biz. Dat ego is just too large.

I don't think he would want to work 5 days a week like that. And yeah, he already have enough money than he knows how to spend, so I can see him doing AGT or something like that - it's a fucking cake walk for $15M a year.

I know Adam Curry was on his show a couple years ago and said flat out he had investors that would offer Stern $100M for the first year. Not sure if that would still fly, but would be interesting. I listen to his No Agenda podcast and they have the technology to livestream, which would get the callers, but I'm not sure if they could execute on the level of Stern.

Howard made a big deal of how he signed on for 5 more years because he was being loyal to his staff. So, surely, he would never leave early. /sarcasm

Yeah because his staff is filled with untalented people who will have a hard time finding jobs when he is gone so he really needs to keep going.

It would be worth Howard ending the show just to see what happens to some of these people.

So the deleted tweet is fake, as someone noticed there is a "Delete" link which only shows on your own posts.

But cubanb also copied my post from above (which I stand by simply based on Howard's negativity apart from the fake tweet) and used it on reddit verbatim. ;)

8hdn.gif

gdt

So the deleted tweet is fake, as someone noticed there is a "Delete" link which only shows on your own posts.

But cubanb also copied my post from above (which I stand by simply based on Howard's negativity apart from the fake tweet) and used it on reddit verbatim. ;)

8hdn.gif

lol

This poop/dna incident is 1,000 x more interesting than AGT. I hope they stick with it. My guess = Tim Sabean. He always seems to have just left the bathroom before something major happens.

(Note: I'm listening to the 7/23 show so they could've abandoned it by now or determined the culprit already for all I know)

Kosmo

Banned
This poop/dna incident is 1,000 x more interesting than AGT. I hope they stick with it. My guess = Tim Sabean. He always seems to have just left the bathroom before something major happens.

(Note: I'm listening to the 7/23 show so they could've abandoned it by now or determined the culprit already for all I know)

Tim already confessed

smurfx

get some go again

i'm currently on the 5/25/2011 show and something similar happened and i think it was tim. this dude has a history of this stuff it seems. his excuse is that he never checks the toilet after he finishes.

From the way they described it it was like a Jackson Pollack painting on the wall. And not only that, Lieberman found fresh fecal matter under the nearby handicap rail and ... THE LIGHT SWITCH! *Psycho stab music*

It sounded like what happened was similar to the beginning of Men at Work (one of the greatest movies of all time btw) when they open the locker and the airbags filled with poop explode.

I'm firmly convinced this was a deliberate act on Tim's part. No one in their right mind does that - there's no way it's an accident, and there's no way he wasn't aware of the mess he left behind.

smurfx

get some go again
From the way they described it it was like a Jackson Pollack painting on the wall. And not only that, Lieberman found fresh fecal matter under the nearby handicap rail and ... THE LIGHT SWITCH! *Psycho stab music*

It sounded like what happened was similar to the beginning of Men at Work (one of the greatest movies of all time btw) when they open the locker and the airbags filled with poop explode.
maybe he was getting a coffee enema in the stall and had a mishap and it exploded everywhere?

Tim really is an odd guy...he always claims he's so busy with the channels, but based on the amount of content being put out by those channels-is that even remotely a possibility?

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Man, I got into the Stern show so late in life. Started listening right after Artie left. But the show is absolutely stunning, a great piece of work that makes all other talk-radio seem unprofessional and downright cheesy in comparison.

You guys are freakin me out tho. You can tell Stern isn't happy with how he's being treated by Sirius.. it really shows. If he leaves, I will cancel my Sirius subscription immediately.

Van Owen

Banned
Man, I got into the Stern show so late in life. Started listening right after Artie left. But the show is absolutely stunning, a great piece of work that makes all other talk-radio seem unprofessional and downright cheesy in comparison

If you think it's good now, you should have heard it like 15 years ago.

Man, I got into the Stern show so late in life. Started listening right after Artie left. But the show is absolutely stunning, a great piece of work that makes all other talk-radio seem unprofessional and downright cheesy in comparison.

You guys are freakin me out tho. You can tell Stern isn't happy with how he's being treated by Sirius.. it really shows. If he leaves, I will cancel my Sirius subscription immediately.

Wow AFTER Artie left? I wasn't the biggest Artie fan, but the years that he was with the show-there are so many great shows. I didn't like him-but he did bring an energy and voice to the show that is no longer there-the show just seemed more exciting then. But then Artie would have a tendency to take over the show-and I'm glad that's gone.

You should do yourself a favor and at least seek out the first year at Sirius to download as a torrent-from 2006 I think

smurfx

get some go again

wow you missed all the good artie years. i started listening about 6 years before jackie left the show and have ever since.

Well if he leaves you can go back and find the old shows to listen to. In fact just do that anyway.

dem

I go back and listen to old shows with Jackie all the time.

Jackie and Nancy made for some hilarious ball busting.

The new shows don't compare at all

I like how each era of the show has its own feel. It really keeps the show fresh after so many years.

Personally, I prefer the modern era, as it's less "bits" and more about the reality of the members' lives. The Shitlock Holmes scandal was perfect Howard radio.

Was there actually a lot of shit in the bathroom? They posted some pics on howardstern.com and it's just a few drops. The way they were describing it was like it was a shit explosion, like that scene from Dumb and Dumberer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6C9RBMCJOY

Anyway the Artie years were amazing. I started to listen when they went to satellite. The show is still good but without someone like Jackie or Artie it is missing something.

Reading Skeletons on the Zahara reminds me of a classic Stern segment from the 90s when I remember Howard puking (or coming very close to it) on air .. I don't remember the guys name but it was a dude that thought drinking your own urine was very healthy. He came in with a jar of it and drank it on the air. I just remember thinking how funny it was for how visibly upset Howard was during the bit. Props to anyone that can find that on Youtube or let me know where to see it again.

Top Bottom