• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

Its driving me crazy that they don't just say whats going on with her. If they just said it it'd be over and people would move on but as it is we're all left to constantly speculate. She's sick enough to not go in to work for 4 hours a day for 3 days a week but not sick enough to be prevented from going to movies, dinners, parties, etc

Listening to an October 1994 episode right now - its funny hearing Howard talk about how he's so sick of KROCK and how he's retiring when his contract is up at the end of the year. Some things never change.

I'm around '94 now in the History of Howard Stern III. I've already listened to all of IV, so I'm going to be a bit sad when I get to the last of these shows.

Has anyone listened to I and II? I've never really enjoyed the shows from the 80s, so thinking I'll probably skip them unless you tell me they're worth it.

Wow, no Robin today. Gary, Jon Hein and Bigfoot Jr. sitting in. I can see Howard getting annoyed today.

Oh, wild. She hasn't missed an entire episode since her surgery, right? Must have had something scheduled unless she was just ill or something.

RangersFan

They said it was a scheduled absence. As for Robin's health I think it's pretty obvious she told Howard that she would like it to be a private matter much like Alison and the divorce. It's hard to speculate, but I imagine if she was going through chemo it would have ended long ago and she is just gathering her strength back. I really doubt she had radiation, as it would have affected her vocals a lot, though if it was it would explain her need to be at home via ISDN as recovery can take a long long time. If her cancer was really that bad I would respect her wises, with a show so open I think I would keep things like that private as well.

I guess we have to assume it's her wishes, but it sure seemed like she was ready to tell all and then had a talk with Howard and everything has been mum since. If it was his decision to keep it off of the show I can sort of understand, as having people calling in and talking about Robin's health every day could get tiresome, but it's way more compelling and real than anything else on the show in the last year.

Howard never went in to details of the divorce but the show also never failed to acknowledge that it had happened (in fact the show sort of centered around the aftermath for a while with Howard's wild period). The complete silence is what's so maddening with the Robin stuff.

He gave Sal shit for putting together a good bit. It was strange.

I turned it off when Bobo was walking around outside telling people he had thought the world was going to end. I didn't really find that part funny at all and switched back over to History of Howard Stern.

RangersFan

can't help but shake the feeling that the bobo bit felt a bit contrived. guy is such a stern whore he would do anything to add to the show.

Grinchy

Banned
can't help but shake the feeling that the bobo bit felt a bit contrived. guy is such a stern whore he would do anything to add to the show.

I almost posted in here earlier explaining why I thought that whole bit was complete bullshit. I gave up because I can't possibly know for sure and I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone else. But yeah, I wish I bought it a little bit more because I would have enjoyed the bit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm around '94 now in the History of Howard Stern III. I've already listened to all of IV, so I'm going to be a bit sad when I get to the last of these shows.

Has anyone listened to I and II? I've never really enjoyed the shows from the 80s, so thinking I'll probably skip them unless you tell me they're worth it.

Wait until you get to Kinison v Stern, or you would have already passed it then. I mix up my 90s and 80s constantly now.

Grinchy

Banned
I listened to History I and II. I vaguely remember the very first day of History I being very boring, though. It was a lot of shit that he recorded as a little kid and then family members and friends talking about what he was like at the time. On paper it sounds awesome that it starts literally at the beginning of his story, but it was long and tedious.

Also the show had a lot of soul in the 80s but the humor can be kind of dated now. I liked listening to it just out of a fascination about how much the show and the times have changed, but that isn't to say there are no funny moments. A good portion of it can still hold up decently well today.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does he talk about losing his pants?

Also the Axl interview when he's waking up is really good. I think that's from 89. It's on youtube, but I don't know if it's on part II.

Risible

I listened to History I and II. I vaguely remember the very first day of History I being very boring, though. It was a lot of shit that he recorded as a little kid and then family members and friends talking about what he was like at the time. On paper it sounds awesome that it starts literally at the beginning of his story, but it was long and tedious.

Also the show had a lot of soul in the 80s but the humor can be kind of dated now. I liked listening to it just out of a fascination about how much the show and the times have changed, but that isn't to say there are no funny moments. A good portion of it can still hold up decently well today.

I often wonder if younger listeners realize just how fucking awesome Stern was back at the start of his career.

I'm old enough to have listened to him back in his WNBC days, and the things he did were literally ground breaking. It was revolutionary. His early tenure at K-Rock was fucking legendary. Every day it was "Holy shit, what's going to happen next?" His feuds with celebrities and others were astounding in a time when everyone who was a celebrity would never say anything bad about another celebrity.

I didn't follow him to Sirius as I just didn't have the money to pay for another subscription service, but in a way I'm kinda glad because I only remember him at his height. It was an amazing, amazing time for radio in Howard's heyday.

Listening to 1/2. A show based on honesty has devolved into this? They're manufacturing bits with Bobo pretending to believe its the end of the world? Really? The 'earthquake' is an intern jumping up and down and Bobo supposedly doesn't realize this? And if this isn't completely set up .. Bobo doesn't realize they're harping on his obsession with 12/21 and the Stern show just happens to have him in on that date?

R2D4

Banned
Listening to 1/2. A show based on honesty has devolved into this? They're manufacturing bits with Bobo pretending to believe its the end of the world? Really? The 'earthquake' is an intern jumping up and down and Bobo supposedly doesn't realize this? And if this isn't completely set up .. Bobo doesn't realize they're harping on his obsession with 12/21 and the Stern show just happens to have him in on that date?

After hearing Bobo for years I completely believe it. He's a fucking moron.

Now him calling in every day only to say how good Beth looks and to praise Howard TV? That's totally all staged.

Now him calling in every day only to say how good Beth looks and to praise Howard TV? That's totally all staged.

I totally believe it too. Why would they stage that? He's a fucking moron. It would take the same effort to try to fool him for real vs. setting it up. Plus he hates having his toupee off so I doubt he would have been up for it.

I hate him, by the way.

Ok well maybe they didn't stage it but Bobo was definitely playing it up in believing it. I just don't believe he really thought the world was ending. First of all - the man claimed to be planning to spend that day in a missile silo and he abandons that to hang out in the center of Manhattan? Literally the worst place in the entire world to be when a major crisis happens? I dont know, maybe he was for real but it came across as really forced to me.

R2D4

Banned
Ok well maybe they didn't stage it but Bobo was definitely playing it up in believing it. I just don't believe he really thought the world was ending. First of all - the man claimed to be planning to spend that day in a missile silo and he abandons that to hang out in the center of Manhattan? Literally the worst place in the entire world to be when a major crisis happens? I dont know, maybe he was for real but it came across as really forced to me.

On Howard 100 news they were talking to Bobo and he said he went into the studio to do the bit on the 21st because he woke up that morning and the world was still there and nothing had happened. So that line of thinking made me wonder:

1. Why would the world end over night when he was sleeping?
2. Why would the world ending be dependent on his timezone?
3. Why would the world ending mean it would have to happen at the strike of 12am on the 21st?

Then I realized that it was Bobo. Why ask?

On Howard 100 news they were talking to Bobo and he said he went into the studio to do the bit on the 21st because he woke up that morning and the world was still there and nothing had happened. So that line of thinking made me wonder:

1. Why would the world end over night when he was sleeping?
2. Why would the world ending be dependent on his timezone?
3. Why would the world ending mean it would have to happen at the strike of 12am on the 21st?

Then I realized that it was Bobo. Why ask?

Bobo's not so stupid.

Just like those calls Bobo will do anything to get on the air. He is the worst but sadly Howard doesnt give two shits about the quality of the show.

R2D4

Banned
I wonder how much Howard makes off of Howard TV that it pays more than a pay per view internet streaming site would. I don't even know how to get Howard TV? Does your cable company have to offer it? Is it offered out side of the New York City area? It just seems stupid that he doesn't have a pay per view site online to watch all these shows or just a live stream of the live show for $20 a month or whatever. Ridiculous.

I wonder how much Howard makes off of Howard TV that it pays more than a pay per view internet streaming site would. I don't even know how to get Howard TV? Does your cable company have to offer it? Is it offered out side of the New York City area? It just seems stupid that he doesn't have a pay per view site online to watch all these shows or just a live stream of the live show for $20 a month or whatever. Ridiculous.

They offer it as a premium channel (like HBO) on my Comcast service in central PA. I subscribed to it in the beginning but its way too expensive for what it is/was. It barely updated with new shows and when it did it was just video of the audio I already heard and that was mostly just a shot of Howard at his desk. It would've been worth it if they had original content or more importantly imo, the old E shows. I'd pay $20 a month for a channel that just constantly rotated E episodes.

They offer it as a premium channel (like HBO) on my Comcast service in central PA. I subscribed to it in the beginning but its way too expensive for what it is/was. It barely updated with new shows and when it did it was just video of the audio I already heard and that was mostly just a shot of Howard at his desk. It would've been worth it if they had original content or more importantly imo, the old E shows. I'd pay $20 a month for a channel that just constantly rotated E episodes.

I always loved the E! Show-they once did an entire episode with various stern show animations-like Gary falling asleep on the plane and wanting orange juice.

EDIT:
Oh look here it is!
http://youtu.be/CEuARoD6RlY

I always loved the E! Show-they once did an entire episode with various stern show animations-like Gary falling asleep on the plane and wanting orange juice.

That episode with the Jackie puppet harrassing a very young, very green Conan O'Brien when he was taking over The Late Show was one of the funniest things I ever saw. Billy was relentless. And remember the episode where that guy came in to drink his pee because he thought it was healthy? I think I may have actually thrown up watching that. haha

I cant find the video, which is crucial because you have to see Billy work the puppet but here's the audio ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvlBRkA7Tf0

EDIT:
Oh look here it is!
http://youtu.be/CEuARoD6RlY

Nice thanks. I love the orange juice story. I never tire of it.

"I gotta wet em down again boff!" lol

RangersFan

The E! archive being on HTVOD would definitely make it a better value. HTVOD is way too much at this point for the amount of content offered. most of the best stuff can be found on youtube and other sites

Grinchy

Banned
I got HTV back when it started in like 2006. I loved it at first because it was finally like having an uncensored E! show. My roommate at the time split the cost with me.

As the show itself got more tame, HowardTV became completely pointless and boring to have. I can't even imagine what meager offerings the channel has now. The worst is when they do like an hour and 15 minute phone interview, and they actually try to turn that shit into a TV episode. Staring at Howard while he hides his hideous face with his microphone and having a little picture of the person on the phone does not make for good TV.

He's weird to look at it during an interview. Especially if he's talking to someone on the phone. His eyes dart back and forth like he's watching a high speed ping pong match.

Ok, good. I was getting worried for her.

Unrelated: Ronnie's after dump cleaning process is wild. I never heard anything like this. I had a friend in college who would have to shower after he did it and that I can understand but not squatting over my sink and splashing away and getting mess everywhere.

Ok, good. I was getting worried for her.

Unrelated: Ronnie's after dump cleaning process is wild. I never heard anything like this. I had a friend in college who would have to shower after he did it and that I can understand but not squatting over my sink and splashing away and getting mess everywhere.

No the craziest story is Ronnie-he sits in the sink after taking a dump!?!?

Grinchy

Banned
hahaha I love when Ronnie throws something out there that he thinks everyone else has done, then he finds out he's just a fucking weirdo.

RangersFan

Howard's rant about Downton 'DownTown' Abbey had me laughing hard because I have the same irrational hatred of the show for the same reasons because of the title.

edit: also pretty obvious at this point Robin is indeed getting chemo because she let it slip on Tuesday about taking steroid injections when they were talking about Lance Armstrong.

gdt

God, the clips from the Medicated Pete movie had me rolling. The director especially. Any pics anywhere of the girl?

Top Bottom