• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

bud

robyn is quite possibly the worst sidekick of all-time.

she knows absolutely nothing yet she talks about everything.

Riggs

Banned

Yep my hate for her is long standing. Self righteous bitch imho.

Ya sometimes Squall ... but she is so opinionated it gets old after a while. She doesn't know shit and acts like she has been through every situation and knows everything. She has her moments where I like her, but most of the time I don't.

R2D4

Banned

You'd think after this long she'd be able to read a news report without fucking up half way through. Is there still any doubt at all that when she reads them live it's the first time she's reading it?

You'd think after this long she'd be able to read a news report without fucking up half way through. Is there still any doubt at all that when she reads them live it's the first time she's reading it?

Nope. She used to collect the articles herself but now she just has interns do it. Basically she's just there at the show to laugh at Howard's jokes. (which is no easy task when he does his Jay Leno-esque monologue)

Grinchy

Banned
Does she ever disagree with Howard about anything.....ever?

Brad Pitt is not a movie star.

Nope. She used to collect the articles herself but now she just has interns do it. Basically she's just there at the show to laugh at Howard's jokes. (which is no easy task when he does his Jay Leno-esque monologue)
I remember how tough she used to have it. She'd have to read tabloids while she was at the beach so she could prepare news stories.

Does anyone know what soap opera Beth worked on. Howard said she was on a soap opera for a couple weeks but I don't remember him or her ever mentioning that before.

I remember how tough she used to have it. She'd have to read tabloids while she was at the beach so she could prepare news stories.

Oh man I remember that debacle. When Jackie brought that up she refused to do the news that day and walked out.

Can anyone explain why Howard really does not like Amanda Peet? In the interview with Jason Bateman he jumped right into bashing her again.
I think her and Beth had some kind of negative interaction. Possibly before Beth even met Howard. Whatever happened between them still draws Howard's ire.

Does anyone know what soap opera Beth worked on. Howard said she was on a soap opera for a couple weeks but I don't remember him or her ever mentioning that before.

Oh man I remember that debacle. When Jackie brought that up she refused to do the news that day and walked out.

I think her and Beth had some kind of negative interaction. Possibly before Beth even met Howard. Whatever happened between them still draws Howard's ire.

Hmmmm....I just did a quick Google Search and found this:

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/xen/index.php?threads/why-does-howard-hate-amanda-peet.25026/

Amanda Peet had the female lead (Mia) in the movie, "Whipped," in which Miss Ostrosky played "Chick #2."

Perhaps Ms. Peet wasn't very nice to Miss Ostrosky (in her pre-Stern daze) on the set.

Perhaps Miss Ostrosky was overly familiar with Ms. Peet's "Whipped"...

Enzom21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFodl2MunAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQzGwhy8UNY

I miss Jackie's plugs for some weird reason.

nocode

What really set her off was because after she said she spent her time on the weekend on the beach going through articles for the show, Jackie mumbled under his breath "yeah, you do have it pretty rough". She lost her mind. It was awesome because she brought it up in the first place, and set it up on a tee for Jackie to knock it out of the park. So great.

Edit: haha, oh shit, I see someone posted the clip.

What really set her off was because after she said she spent her time on the weekend on the beach going through articles for the show, Jackie mumbled under his breath "yeah, you do have it pretty rough". She lost her mind. It was awesome because she brought it up in the first place, and set it up on a tee for Jackie to knock it out of the park. So great.

Edit: haha, oh shit, I see someone posted the clip.

Damn, this make me reminisce of what the show once was :|

I love the show, but I usually only feel compelled to post when there's something that pisses me off about it.

Ditto. I complain a lot but the fact of the matter is I've been listening for 20 years and haven't missed an episode since 2003. And I don't know what I'll do when the show is done and gone for good.

Xanadu

Banned
Ditto. I complain a lot but the fact of the matter is I've been listening for 20 years and haven't missed an episode since 2003. And I don't know what I'll do when the show is done and gone for good.

do you think its even half as good as it used to be?

It's mediocre to horrible Stern, but still better than most other radio. Part of the reason I listen is because I want it to get better, but truthfully so much of the show has decayed (mostly the lack of talent and the prominence of weak personalities) that it's hard to see where it gets better.

I may have said this before, but it's like a sports team where your big stars are either past their prime or have left for greener pastures and you've done a terrible job developing young talent and keeping them in the stable. Once you realize how shitty you've become, it's way too late to do anything about it.

Xanadu

Banned
we complain because we want to recapture the show that we listened to in our youths

i dont thin thats the case, i only started listening a year ago and the shows i watch from the mid 90s are hilarious and much funnier than recent episodes i see. i think the lack of jackie/artie is a huge problem

Risible

Nothing will ever beat the Jackie/Stuttering John/Cabbie/Kinison days. Just magical radio. Every day you tuned in to hear what insanity would transpire.

When Howard isn't talking about himself or AGT the show can be great. There are still flashes of brilliance in there - the Tim shitting fiasco, Fred not being allowed to go to the One Direction concert, Gary sleeping, staff fights, etc. But those instances are getting to be too few and far between. And I don't know what to make of this new change with these lame pre-scripted jokes Howard does along with all the horrible and overused bits like the opera singer. I think what would really help the show is if there was a strong, non-sychophantic personality in the studio .. ie a Jackie or Artie type. Someone that Howard can play off and someone that will keep Howard grounded/real.

Xanadu

Banned
When Howard isn't talking about himself or AGT the show can be great. There are still flashes of brilliance in there - the Tim shitting fiasco, Fred not being allowed to go to the One Direction concert, Gary sleeping, staff fights, etc. But those instances are getting to be too few and far between. And I don't know what to make of this new change with these lame pre-scripted jokes Howard does along with all the horrible and overused bits like the opera singer. I think what would really help the show is if there was a strong, non-sychophantic personality in the studio .. ie a Jackie or Artie type. Someone that Howard can play off and someone that will keep Howard grounded/real.

i agree, why didnt howard fill in arties position after artie left?

i agree, why didnt howard fill in arties position after artie left?

I think Howard's official position is that its unnecessary to have someone in that chair and its 'too many voices'. I'm sure the real reason is saving $100k+ a year and more marbles.

LordCanti

I think Howard's official position is that its unnecessary to have someone in that chair and its 'too many voices'. I'm sure the real reason is saving $100k+ a year and more marbles.

He's said that Artie's salary got yanked out of the budget hasn't he? He's obviously too cheap to spend his own money filling the chair, and I can't really blame him.

It's a shame that he didn't pounce on someone like Louis CK when he was still available, and when Sirius wasn't in "Howard's an asshole" mode.

Grinchy

Banned
He's said that Artie's salary got yanked out of the budget hasn't he? He's obviously too cheap to spend his own money filling the chair, and I can't really blame him.

It's a shame that he didn't pounce on someone like Louis CK when he was still available, and when Sirius wasn't in "Howard's an asshole" mode.

I don't know shit, but I always felt like it boiled down to a situation where Howard would have had to pay the new person out of the production budget, which would mean less money for him.

I don't know shit, but I always felt like it boiled down to a situation where Howard would have had to pay the new person out of the production budget, which would mean less money for him.

Howard's money most likely isn't used for production. That's not really how production works. It could be different for radio but I doubt it.

Doug Stanhope would be awesome. I'm not a fan of his comedy per se but he has great stories and he's nuts. I always thought Colin Quinn would be a great choice too.

Yeah, not afan of his comedy but the craziness would be great, especially with Bingo around. Colin is great but he's too nice really.

LordCanti

Things are complicated these days. They've let it slip that Gary and a few others (Robin, Fred, etc) aren't actually employees of Sirius. I don't know if that means their pay comes from Howard TV, Howard himself, or what, but it makes it difficult to tell where the money is coming from.

I think the show has a small (relative to its success) budget for things like new equipment and for hiring new staff. When Artie quit, Howard was promised that his salary would go back into the budget, but that never happened. It all kind of boils down to Howard being promised a huge bonus for X amount of subscribers, and then getting stiffed of that bonus (on the technicality of that number being hit through the merger with XM and not from Sirius subs alone) before suing the company for millions of dollars. In retribution, it sounds like they've basically stripped the show of its budget, and are forcing Howard to pretty much keep the thing afloat out of his own pocket/the Howard TV budget.

This always happens to Howard. He makes a company millions of dollars, and then they fuck him.

He didn't get stiffed. There was a provision that covered the merger and he got a bonus from the merger happening. His case was thrown out with prejudice, and his assertion that the judge didn't even read his contract is pretty shameful. I was hoping when it was thrown out that it'd be the end of it, as the whole thing is just stupid.

You can read the contract in question here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/howard-stern-contract?page=0

There are actually lots of details in there about how the channels/shows/staff are funded. Howard has a sweetheart deal but it's his nature to run around burning bridges.

Also be sure to read the judgement (which is awfully detailed for a judge who Howard now smears on-air): http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/howard-stern-loses?page=0

LordCanti

He didn't get stiffed. There was a provision that covered the merger and he got a bonus from the merger happening. His case was thrown out with prejudice, and his assertion that the judge didn't even read his contract is pretty shameful. I was hoping when it was thrown out that it'd be the end of it, as the whole thing is just stupid.

You can read the contract in question here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/howard-stern-contract?page=0

There are actually lots of details in there about how the channels/shows/staff are funded. Howard has a sweetheart deal but it's his nature to run around burning bridges.

Also be sure to read the judgement (which is awfully detailed for a judge who Howard now smears on-air): http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/howard-stern-loses?page=0

The provision that covers the merger doesn't exclude Howard from receiving the subscriber number based bonuses. Unless I'm missing something, his argument seems to be that all the subscribers Sirius currently has are due to his show, and Sirius's position is that those subscribers aren't his to claim. I'd side with Howard in that debate, personally.

Again, unless I'm missing something. His agent should never have let them word the contract like that, but Sirius should know better than to screw their only breadwinner. It's going to be bad for business long term.

He's already cashed in bonuses totaling at least 100 million (25 when the merger happened, 75 for a performance bonus), on top of whatever he was making to begin with. He's also probably hit those bonuses for the subsequent years and been paid. He's got to be worth at least a couple hundred million dollars, which does make his whining about money (and the budget) seem very juvenile. With just the money he makes in interest on whatever liquid assets he has (not even counting dividends on stocks), he could fully fund any expenses that the show might encounter. He could also alleviate the never ending "problem" of his staff being poorly paid (outside of Fred, Gary, and Robin).

I'll trust the system on it since I'm not an expert, and it still could be overturned, but I don't want to hear him whine about it. And if you sue your employer I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect that to affect your relationship at all.

Van Owen

Banned
Things are complicated these days. They've let it slip that Gary and a few others (Robin, Fred, etc) aren't actually employees of Sirius. I don't know if that means their pay comes from Howard TV, Howard himself, or what, but it makes it difficult to tell where the money is coming from.

I think the show has a small (relative to its success) budget for things like new equipment and for hiring new staff. When Artie quit, Howard was promised that his salary would go back into the budget, but that never happened. It all kind of boils down to Howard being promised a huge bonus for X amount of subscribers, and then getting stiffed of that bonus (on the technicality of that number being hit through the merger with XM and not from Sirius subs alone) before suing the company for millions of dollars. In retribution, it sounds like they've basically stripped the show of its budget, and are forcing Howard to pretty much keep the thing afloat out of his own pocket/the Howard TV budget.

This always happens to Howard. He makes a company millions of dollars, and then they fuck him.

Can a mod see if this account is registered to Howard's agent?

Top Bottom