• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

Grinchy

Banned
I read the contract a while ago, and I'm no lawyer, but it did seem to be worded so that he would be given bonuses based on his performance in bringing in Sirius subscribers. The idea of there being a merger was only a distant and unlikely possibility at the time of the contract signing. The $25 million merger bonus was supposed to be his only merger bonus IMO.

When the companies merged, there wasn't an increase of Sirius subscribers. That's why Howard was bitching every day about how "Is it one company or two, Robin? I can barely sit through your news. Anything else?" I think it was all an attempt to grab some money from the company. Howard wasn't expecting to get all $300 million, but he was hoping that either SiriusXM would settle out of court, or that at least the court would find that he could get a portion of it.

Grinchy

Banned
Howard's money most likely isn't used for production. That's not really how production works. It could be different for radio but I doubt it.

I don't really know how it works, but every time I read about Howard signing up with Sirius, it was about how the $500 million deal was a production budget. The only source I have right now is Wikipedia though, too lazy to actually research this.

wikipedia said:
With an annual budget of $100 million for all production, staff and programming costs, Stern launched two channels on Sirius in 2005 named Howard 100 and Howard 101

I read the contract a while ago, and I'm no lawyer, but it did seem to be worded so that he would be given bonuses based on his performance in bringing in Sirius subscribers. The idea of there being a merger was only a distant and unlikely possibility at the time of the contract signing. The $25 million merger bonus was supposed to be his only merger bonus IMO.

When the companies merged, there wasn't an increase of Sirius subscribers. That's why Howard was bitching every day about how "Is it one company or two, Robin? I can barely sit through your news. Anything else?" I think it was all an attempt to grab some money from the company. Howard wasn't expecting to get all $300 million, but he was hoping that either SiriusXM would settle out of court, or that at least the court would find that he could get a portion of it.

Howard always argues that if not for him Sirius wouldn't have been able to merge with XM. So technically the XM subscribers should be counted for him. BTW - remember how hard he pushed for the merger? All makes sense now doesn't it?

I don't really know how it works, but every time I read about Howard signing up with Sirius, it was about how the $500 million deal was a production budget. The only source I have right now is Wikipedia though, too lazy to actually research this.

I've always heard the same thing. The $500 million was Howard's pay and his production budget rolled into one. That's why my dream of three (thats what it was at the start) Howard channels where different shows were playing all day were dashed and instead we get Howard's show and usually one other show per day .. generally hosted by people doing it for free or close to nothing, ie Sour Shoes, Reilly, King of All Blacks, Mutt, etc. Gotta hold on to those marbles!

Grinchy

Banned
Howard always argues that if not for him Sirius wouldn't have been able to merge with XM. So technically the XM subscribers should be counted for him. BTW - remember how hard he pushed for the merger? All makes sense now doesn't it?

Oh hell yeah, I remember hearing about how important the merger was every single day on the air. That's all he was talking about for a while. I still don't know if I agree that he deserves the Sirius subscriber limit bonuses though. It just seems like an already established company (XM) with millions of people who couldn't even access the Stern show shouldn't count. Maybe they could have said that anyone from XM who bought the premium package and had access to Stern was now a Stern subscriber and should count toward his performance-based bonus.

But to suddenly say, "Hey look! This merger happened all because I ranted about it on the radio every day, so now those 8 million people who can't even hear my show only exist because of me!" I don't know. I can see why someone would feel either way about it. But I'm sitting on the side of the fence that thinks Howard and his lawyers thought this was a good time to attempt a cash grab. I don't think Howard actually believes his contract states that he deserves the money.

LordCanti

Can a mod see if this account is registered to Howard's agent?

If only; his agent gets like 10% of everything, which has probably added up to at least a hundred mil over the years.

As far as the lawsuit goes, I'd just ask you this question: Without Howard, does Sirius still exist? Unless I'm really remembering incorrectly, Sirius was dying on the vine and on the path towards a takeover (not merger) by XM when Howard came along. Arguing in court that those subscribers aren't due to Howard is kind of disingenuous.

Having said that, hearing Howard whine about having to pay for this or that is kind of infuriating. He's made hundreds of millions of dollars off of the show, so the least he could do is spend a little bit of it to make the show better. His contract stipulates a maximum budget, but no minimum budget (thanks to his shitty agent again) so there's really no room to be pissed off when Sirius doesn't fill the show coffers.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but it seems like Howard has said that there was an understanding between him and the company about what happens in the event of a merger. The wording of his contract is so vague that one judge could have ruled one way, and one another though. That's all on his agent.

I think the smart business move would have been to cut Howard a check for whatever amount would have placated him, in exchange for a contract extension or something. I don't know what Sirius is going to do when his contract is up and a huge number of their subscribers cancel.

RangersFan

I really wish we knew more about the meeting they had on the 5th.

it's was supposedly about how shitty the show has been lately and about actually producing content and making the show good again and booking more and better guests again. which it why it was so bad that gary fucked up with the double booking.

it's was supposedly about how shitty the show has been lately and about actually producing content and making the show good again and booking more and better guests again. which it why it was so bad that gary fucked up with the double booking.
Wow interesting! Where did you hear this?

master15

I'm recently been converted to a Stern fan a few months ago and watching lots of old content on Youtube.

As long term Stern fans what would you consider the show's peak? I immediately gravitated to "Artie years" but recently watching clips like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdogxyEGAvE shows how great Jackie was and how on point Howard was.

I started listening in college when he went to satellite. Never listened to him at all on terrestrial. I was a huge fan for years and when I worked at a job that let us listen to MP3 players during work would download every episode and listen to the whole thing + wrap up show and probably listened to every show they produced for a period of at least 2-3 years.

The show is still good but not as good as it used to be. I don't feel compelled to find out what I missed or really go out of my way to listen anymore. Part of it is the lack of Artie, or an Artie like person. I always listen to the George episodes. Those are great. I think the show has just settled into a formula that's easy for them to do. The dynamic of the staff doesn't really change. They don't have that many good bits anymore. Celebrity interviews are hit and miss. It's just kind of a "been there, done that" feel. Not that it's not entertaining, it's just not compelling.

I'm recently been converted to a Stern fan a few months ago and watching lots of old content on Youtube.

As long term Stern fans what would you consider the show's peak? I immediately gravitated to "Artie years" but recently watching clips like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdogxyEGAvE shows how great Jackie was and how on point Howard was.

For me I think it was like 96-99. I have fond memories of those times....but I still enjoy the show, but it just isn't what it used to be.

Riggs

Banned
So I guess Christopher Dorner and cops started a shoot out. Later on about 3 min ago , captain jenks just pranked the live local news lol.

Makine!

This spelling game is amazing. I'd be really bummed if I were Howard that I had such dummies working for me. Especially Tim.

This is the greatest show on Earth.

EDIT: Whoever came up with the name 'The Badass clip of the week' for JD's segment deserves a raise. That gets me every time. And all the songs for it are great too.

Does anyone believe Howard's OCD claims? I get a strong feeling he's making this up for some reason.

Also, I love how Speech Impediment Man always asks questions to things Howard has given the answer to. Howard was just saying a an episode or two ago (from where I'm at) that he'd never want a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame anda here's SIM to ask him if he'd want a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. These type of questions are way better than his normal, "Howard, who would win in a fight - Aquaman or Superman?"

LordCanti

Does anyone believe Howard's OCD claims? I get a strong feeling he's making this up for some reason.

Also, I love how Speech Impediment Man always asks questions to things Howard has given the answer to. Howard was just saying a an episode or two ago (from where I'm at) that he'd never want a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame anda here's SIM to ask him if he'd want a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. These type of questions are way better than his normal, "Howard, who would win in a fight - Aquaman or Superman?"

I believe that he's a bit neurotic about germs (he's got enough hand sanitizer within arms reach to last years) but actual OCD? No.

Are they gone all three days this week, or was it just Monday? It's a shame that they don't get to talk about the prank call while it's still fresh if they are off all three days.

Very interesting comment from Howard - "If my suit doesn't go through and I leave the company on bad terms in three years from now I'll keep going. I'll go to a competitor and destroy this company." I like the idea of that and that he'd have such passion again but I'd be scared to higher Howard at this point. Between being distracted by AGT and then the more important issue - I don't think he's not sued an employer since NBC in the 80s. Think about that. You really have to dot the I's and cross the T's when you're dealing with Stern.

aparisi2274

Very interesting comment from Howard - "If my suit doesn't go through and I leave the company on bad terms in three years from now I'll keep going. I'll go to a competitor and destroy this company." I like the idea of that and that he'd have such passion again but I'd be scared to higher Howard at this point. Between being distracted by AGT and then the more important issue - I don't think he's not sued an employer since NBC in the 80s. Think about that. You really have to dot the I's and cross the T's when you're dealing with Stern.

What "competitor" would give him the freedom to do what he does now? He's said numerous times that he is not going back to terrestrial radio, so thats out. What is left? An internet show?

He has no other options really...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
What "competitor" would give him the freedom to do what he does now? He's said numerous times that he is not going back to terrestrial radio, so thats out. What is left? An internet show?

He has no other options really...

He could go on netflix, itunes or some random internet startup.

Agreed that his only real outlet is doing something on the Internet and if anyone could turn that into a huge platform, it is Howard. Personally, I think that is the future regardless. Streaming audio from the Internet via smartphones or other devices seems like it will be the next big thing, and I already use my phone to listen to podcasts via BlueTooth in my car. Howard launching a show like that would be a big deal, but I personally think him leaving Sirius is going to hurt the company regardless.

Also, in three years I don't expect him to be distracted by AGT. I wasn't surprised that he signed up for a second year, but I would be surprised if he came back for a third.

Also, in three years I don't expect him to be distracted by AGT. I wasn't surprised that he signed up for a second year, but I would be surprised if he came back for a third.

Wasn't he always signed on for two years? I always figured he was milking whether he would return for attention.

The real question is would they even want him back for a 3rd season? Its not like he improved the ratings.

Grinchy

Banned
Here's the major reason I don't necessarily see him doing an internet show. Where is the studio going to come from? Sirius built him that insane studio for his show. A lot of money went into that. No random startup internet show is going to do that. I don't even think Netflix or any currently existing businesses would want to do it either.

Howard can't just mic himself from home and do the show. There needs to be guest interaction for games and fights and everything that makes the show what it is. And there is no way in hell Howard would put up his own money to build a new studio or start up his own internet show. He will wait for someone else to pay for it.

My guess is he'd go back to radio. I imagine he's missing greatly all the attention he used to have. I don't think he'd do a podcast. I think he needs immediate response. And internet radio isn't well developed enough.

Maybe a combo of radio with the option to sell each episode as a podcast?

EDIT: I love Tim. I love his hyperness, his ocd, his businessman nonsense phrases, his drops, etc.

If I had to rank my favorite 'characters' from the show it would probably go ...

Tim Sabean
Elliot Offen
Medicated Pete
Hank the Drunken Dwarf
Eric the Midget
Jesus Twins

And honorable mention goes to Stuttering John. Although I didn't care for him and would've hated to work around someone like that he brought a lot to the show with his muckraking, back stabbing, pranks, and interviews.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't listen to the Whole Lotta Love special the last time they did it, so I've actually been really enjoying it.

And I also vote that the manager of the Jesus Twins was the best character of that act.

I love the Artie years especially when KC and Stuttering John are still there and the Sirius years

Grinchy

Banned
An update on Howard's cash grab...err I mean lawsuit on SFN:
http://www.sternfannetwork.com/xen/index.php?threads/update-on-howards-appeal-for-bonus.676639/

(I guess the source requires a membership, but the SFN member copied and pasted the whole article)

My favorite part and a great description of why the lawsuit seems like bullshit:
Naftalis said the terms had to be read in the context of the overall contract, and that if the parties wanted XM subscribers to be included in the calculations of overall subscribers to trigger Stern's stock bonus they could have easily included them.

"You don't gain rights by a negative implication. You don't gain rights by something that isn't said, you gain rights by something that is said," Naftalis said.

He'll go back to terrestrial or do an internet podcast, if he wants to continue. ANd being that he hates being ignored, being on a podcast makes him easy to ignore. At this point he could probably just go to terrestrial. I mean besides using curse words, is there any really explicit stuff on the show anymore?

^ double negatives, misspellings. Was I drunk when I wrote that? Haha

And yes, I personally feel that if he continues after his current contract ends, he'll go back to terrestrial.

I'm on a plane with Howie Mandel right now. Going to Orlando. Don't think AGT is filming yet though.

Try to shake his hand!

EDIT: Time to go for a walk and listen to Fight Week round 3 / day 3.

My first thought was, he must be having a fit inside his head, as he's in a tin can surrounded by germs and coughing and sneezing people and children. Though the translucent purple walls on Virgin America 1st class flights probably ease his somewhat ridiculous ocd

Top Bottom