• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

Grinchy

Banned
I'm curious how they go about getting clearance on regular pranks, as it seems like a big risk that someone wouldn't allow it.

I remember Richard talking on the air about it before. He was saying that they'd have a ton of good, funny calls they never got to use because they couldn't get the person to give permission. But he talked about getting permission and how they'd have to call people sometimes a handful of different times to talk them into giving permission. It sounded like a pain in the ass.

R2D4

Banned
I just started listening to BOR, Jon Hein's TV Show and Geek Time. Why do they insist on running music the entire show when everyone is talking. It's so fucking annoying.

Been listening to Geek Time for years and have never heard that. Never heard it on any other shows either.

Screening. The reason they prank radio is they don't have to get permission, as they're recording the same thing that goes over the public airwaves. I'm curious how they go about getting clearance on regular pranks, as it seems like a big risk that someone wouldn't allow it.

They fake many of the pranks so thats how they get around that.

But why don't they prank anyone high profile, like Rush, Hannity, etc.? I'm sure if they bombard the station enough they could get a call in. It wouldn't be the rapid-fire style on tradio where they get on the air 5 times in a row but I'm sure they could come up with a bit that would last them on the air for a few min. Like the G Gordon Liddy prank call. That was funny.

I think it's probably for legal reasons, or the call screeners are too good/the hosts are too good at filtering out the trolls. But they could always fake it, like they do for half the calls.

But why don't they prank anyone high profile, like Rush, Hannity, etc.? I'm sure if they bombard the station enough they could get a call in. It wouldn't be the rapid-fire style on tradio where they get on the air 5 times in a row but I'm sure they could come up with a bit that would last them on the air for a few min. Like the G Gordon Liddy prank call. That was funny.

I think it's probably for legal reasons, or the call screeners are too good/the hosts are too good at filtering out the trolls. But they could always fake it, like they do for half the calls.

Nothing legal. It's the mere existence of call screeners and that the hosts have a dump button. Country bumpkins don't have any of that. Plus no big personality takes a lot of phone calls. Even if you get pas the screener, how long are you going to wait on hold not knowing whether they'll ever get to you or not? They're under pressure to produce, so it'd have to be something special to justify that risk of getting nothing.

They don't air prank calls every day. Usually it's once a week or less. I'm sure they could spend a few hours to try to get something on. Plus it would be epic to get a prank on a well known radio personality. Yet all we hear about is them pranking tradios or other local stations. I think there's another reason. Whether it's legal or otherwise.

I remember Richard talking on the air about it before. He was saying that they'd have a ton of good, funny calls they never got to use because they couldn't get the person to give permission. But he talked about getting permission and how they'd have to call people sometimes a handful of different times to talk them into giving permission. It sounded like a pain in the ass.

I remember Richard mentioning pranking a celebrity and I dont know if I'm making this up or not but I feel like I remember him suggesting the nature of the call revealed the celebrity as being gay even though they aren't officially out. He keeps saying its the one call they never got permission to air that he wishes they could .. and I think he said he calls this person once a year to see if they've changed their mind yet.

I remember Richard mentioning pranking a celebrity and I dont know if I'm making this up or not but I feel like I remember him suggesting the nature of the call revealed the celebrity as being gay even though they aren't officially out. He keeps saying its the one call they never got permission to air that he wishes they could .. and I think he said he calls this person once a year to see if they've changed their mind yet.

Daddy's girl's been a bad girl

I love you seriously this isn't personal. But are you a regular caller by any chance?

Well I dont like Beth or Howard TV so I don't think he would pick up

I'm suspicious sometimes. Are there any in particular you think are fake?

I remember them using this lady in a different prank but I dont remember the other call
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NqLzRidFIc

I actually don't think its that big of a deal. They could be fake and still be funny.

Just listened to the state of the station address from Tim - I wonder if Jason/Will were the source about the Brandi Glanville story and thats why Tim decide to cancel what is probably Sirius' most listened to show other than the Stern show.

EDIT: I could listen to the Gary apology tape and MTV audition tape over and over. "If you're wearing a bra you're gonna go from bootsy yay to go tee yer"

lol Buchwald is busy again

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...night-show-job/?intcmp=features#ixzz2NuOALC1v

The Tinseltown rumor mill continues to run rampant with reports that the 2013-14 season will be Jay Leno’s last at the “The Tonight Show,” potentially to be replaced by popular NBC comedian Jimmy Fallon.
However, an inside source tells FOX411’s Pop Tarts column that there’s another famous funnyman in the running for the top job.
“Howard Stern. They love him at NBC and ‘America’s Got Talent’ is doing really well,” said the source. “He’s very self-censored, so it works well. And let’s face it, Howard Stern would be great at it – and I can’t imagine that he wants to do radio forever.”

In the words of the immortal Henry Hill, "puh LEASE!"

That's such bs. There's no way Howard would consider it and there's no way the network would take him at this point. Its a non story.

Ah think vahnyl is the way to listen to music!

Just listened to the state of the station address from Tim - I wonder if Jason/Will were the source about the Brandi Glanville story and thats why Tim decide to cancel what is probably Sirius' most listened to show other than the Stern show.

EDIT: I could listen to the Gary apology tape and MTV audition tape over and over. "If you're wearing a bra you're gonna go from bootsy yay to go tee yer"

Back Office Radio got canceled? I didn't get the chance to hear it often, but enjoyed it when I did. Seems like an odd choice considering how popular the show was with fans. There are far shittier things on the channel.

Just checked dawgsaloon. I suppose its not cancelled but the situation doesn't sound good ...

Back Office Radio Is On Hiatus. 03/18/13. 8:10am
After the break we heard a prank call the guys made to the guy using Jay Thomas audio clips. We also heard some voice mails that Gary got from various fans and Wack Packers. They played a news clip where a reporter had a tough time talking during a report.Howard came back and went right to the phones. Howard took a call from a guy who said he's been looking forward to this special that's on tonight. He said he wishes that they'd have more show related stuff on the channels. He said he was bummed when Back Office Radio wasn't on last week. Howard said that was his doing. He said he won't say it's canceled but they have too many guys working on too many shows. Howard said the show is on hiatus right now. He said it takes a lot of work to put shows on the air and they needed more time for this show. The caller asked about Superfan Roundtable getting another hour. Howard said that's up to Tim. He said if he decided to go another hour he's fine with that.

The caller said he loved Back Office Radio. Howard said they don't always have the time to get it on every week. He said they have real work to do around there so he told them that they had to clear up the schedule for a while. Howard said he asked them not to do the show last week. Howard said the show will be back. The caller said they were attached to the show in the Stern Facebook Superfans group. Howard said they are good. He said they'll get them back but they have stuff to do right now.
Howard said everyone there wants a radio show but then he doesn't have them there working for him. He said Tim has a bunch of guys working to produce shows. He said he'd hire more people but they need budget to fix doors around there. He said he gets billed like 3 grand to fix doors around there.

Howard said that was all coming about when Mel was after him. He said this new guy, Jim, might not be like that. Howard said hopefully it'll be like that. He said he needs budget for the shows they put on there. Howard said it's one big headache. He said he may eliminate the channels and just do his show. Howard said that's the conclusion he's coming to. He said he could just do his radio show and that's it. Howard said he doesn't want to be cock blocked every step of the way. He said he didn't get into it for that. Howard said he just wants to entertain his audience. He said he's just going to go do his own show and forget about the management thing.
Howard said last night he was hearing about how they need a door fixed and they needed to budget 3 grand to fix it. Howard said it's a union thing and he didn't know he'd have to do repairs around there. Howard started moaning and asked what has it all come to.

Howard said today that BOR would be back. Who knows, probably just appeasing the audience.

Oh another note, what's this weeks schedule going to be like? He leaves for San Antonio tomorrow.

In studio guest Michael Kearnse was hilarious.I guess the show is not really totally UN censored.They bleeped out a lot of the convo.Remind me of the K rock days.I wonder what pianoman they were talking about?

The staff needs more time to work on a show that is SOMETIMES on 3 days a week?

lol
Yeah tell me about it. What in the hell does that staff do all Thursday and Friday?

Howard said today that BOR would be back. Who knows, probably just appeasing the audience.

Yeah, just like how during the first year when they went to the four day a week schedule and Howard said they'll still occasionally do 5 shows a week and how they don't need to play commercials. My guess .. the show doesn't come back but its just not talked about and any questions about it are immediately ignored just like how when anyone asks about Robin's health or if she's coming back to the studio.

Fred's drop show was dissapointing. 90% of them were from the Sirius years. Hearing clips of Artie laughing never gets old though. Always gets me laughing.

Listening to the bumblebee kid whine about taxes and unions was just.... where is Artie to make fun of him when you need him?

This interview pissed me off so much. Seriously, this is why we need to tax the shit out of the 1%. This guy is 5'9" 250 lbs with a model girlfriend, been flown around in jets since he was 16, and was handed down a billion dollar company from his dad. Then he says nepotism had nothing to do with it, and he's moving away from NY because the taxes are too high.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not sure who the gay dude was (Michael something?) who sat in during the news yesterday, but he was one of the best guests they've had on in a while. I think maybe he was just someone who donated to a charity to sit in or something? I only really heard him talking and had no idea who he was the whole time. Hilarious stuff though.

edit- ok nvm that's who Dirk was talking about a few posts up

Grinchy

Banned
Fred's drop show was dissapointing. 90% of them were from the Sirius years. Hearing clips of Artie laughing never gets old though. Always gets me laughing.

Yep, it was disappointing. Maybe my expectations were too high. It just didn't feel cohesive and halfway through I just realized I didn't care much anymore.

RangersFan

Yep, it was disappointing. Maybe my expectations were too high. It just didn't feel cohesive and halfway through I just realized I didn't care much anymore.

I felt like they chose such obvious drops. I wanted some obscure ones.

yup, and they were only drops used the past couple of years. so many obscure ones and good ones from years past they didn't use.

Top Bottom