• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

I started listening right around the time Howard went to Sirius. Anyone have any show suggestions for before then? Pretty much the only before Sirius shows I've listened to are September 11 and the Gary apology tape.

The History of Howard Stern is good and pretty over arching. It's too bad he abandoned the project.

I started listening right around the time Howard went to Sirius. Anyone have any show suggestions for before then? Pretty much the only before Sirius shows I've listened to are September 11 and the Gary apology tape.

If you look around in the right places you can find the full month of October 1994 shows. I recommend listening to that. I dont know what was going on that month .. full moons, stress from the show/movie, etc ... but a lot of fight week segments come from that single month. A lot of Jackie bashing that month too.

Speaking of fight weeks, I recommend listening to all three weeks of those episodes. And if you can find it, listen to the Conan O'Brien episode from 1993. He gets demolished by Billy West / Jackie Puppet. It was hilarious.

Saw this article about how AGT contestants get screwed on dawgsaloon and thought it was interesting ..

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...Gz2vBtStenGTrM

Hopefuls auditioning for “America’s Got Talent” must agree that producers can trick, exploit and embarrass them -- and depict their life stories in a manner “that may be factual or fictional” -- according to the show’s grueling 45 page contestant agreement, obtained by The Post.

“I further understand that my appearance, depiction and portrayal in the program may be disparaging, defamatory embarrassing...and may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation,” the agreement states.

Acts are also required to a psychiatric evaluation and enter into binding management, recording or personal endorsement deals -- at the option of producers -- which would block them from accepting more attractive deals elsewhere.

And they can’t sue for any reason.

“You are pretty much signing away your life,” one former contestant says. “It’s almost non-negotiable.”

“Talent” -- now in its eight season -- is holding auditions in front of judges Howard Stern, Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum and Mel B. this week at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

The show allows singers, dancers and variety acts of any age a chance to win $1 million.

That prize, according to the fine print, is paid as an annuity over 40 years -- leaving the winner with $25,000 annually before taxes.

Among the show’s other terms and conditions:

•Hidden cameras may be used to film contestants in bedrooms, bathrooms, dressing rooms or “any other area in which a person under other circumstances might have a reasonable expectation of privacy.”

•If an act are disqualified, “Producer and the Network may make any explanation or announcement, on-air or otherwise...as to the reason why.”

•Participants and their families agree to a penalty of $5 million for providing false information to the show.

•Producers and NBC can require talent to participate in additional unscripted, “reality based” programs for up to one year.

Saw this article about how AGT contestants get screwed on dawgsaloon and thought it was interesting ..

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...Gz2vBtStenGTrM

Hopefuls auditioning for “America’s Got Talent” must agree that producers can trick, exploit and embarrass them -- and depict their life stories in a manner “that may be factual or fictional” -- according to the show’s grueling 45 page contestant agreement, obtained by The Post.

“I further understand that my appearance, depiction and portrayal in the program may be disparaging, defamatory embarrassing...and may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation,” the agreement states.

Acts are also required to a psychiatric evaluation and enter into binding management, recording or personal endorsement deals -- at the option of producers -- which would block them from accepting more attractive deals elsewhere.

And they can’t sue for any reason.

“You are pretty much signing away your life,” one former contestant says. “It’s almost non-negotiable.”

“Talent” -- now in its eight season -- is holding auditions in front of judges Howard Stern, Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum and Mel B. this week at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

The show allows singers, dancers and variety acts of any age a chance to win $1 million.

That prize, according to the fine print, is paid as an annuity over 40 years -- leaving the winner with $25,000 annually before taxes.

Among the show’s other terms and conditions:

•Hidden cameras may be used to film contestants in bedrooms, bathrooms, dressing rooms or “any other area in which a person under other circumstances might have a reasonable expectation of privacy.”

•If an act are disqualified, “Producer and the Network may make any explanation or announcement, on-air or otherwise...as to the reason why.”

•Participants and their families agree to a penalty of $5 million for providing false information to the show.

•Producers and NBC can require talent to participate in additional unscripted, “reality based” programs for up to one year.

Most if that seems reasonable and doesn't really differ from other shows. The private recording stuff seems odd.

Speaking of fight weeks, I recommend listening to all three weeks of those episodes. And if you can find it, listen to the Conan O'Brien episode from 1993. He gets demolished by Billy West / Jackie Puppet. It was hilarious.

When did Billy West get demolished by John K.? Would love to hear that again.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I would never agree to that contract for a very slight chance at $25k per year for 40 years. Holy shit.

Yeah it's crazy. I remember there were these same contract concerns leading up to the show's first airing, but somehow enough people have agreed to it that they're at an 8th season.

Saw Ronnie's Cougar Town appearance last night. He has one line and during that line he spits or a booger falls from his nose or something. I can't believe nobody caught that while they were filming.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Never had heard the last day on terrestrial radio. Teared up a couple times with the closing speeches. Great stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
Does anyone here actually think he deserved the bonus or enjoyed the constant bitching about it?

I think there is someone in here who thinks he deserved it. I enjoyed the bitching in a weird way. I enjoy listening to Howard pretend he believes things though.

Enzom21

I think there is someone in here who thinks he deserved it. I enjoyed the bitching in a weird way. I enjoy listening to Howard pretend he believes things though.
There is some bitching he does that I enjoy. The bitching about the homeless game, are you smarter than a sixth grader, and other bits that have been stolen from the show have always been enjoyable to listen to because I actually heard the particular shows when they were created.

Him being owed this bonus always came off as bullshit and it was never enjoyable.

To be fair Sirius and XM would have never merged if it wasn't for him. But since you can never prove that, the lawsuit was pretty stupid. I'm sure the bonus checks is the only reason he cared for the merger in the first place. The dude already received close to billion dollars when you include salary and bonuses. So even if he's wrong or right the lawsuit makes him look bad.

LordCanti

To be fair Sirius and XM would have never merged if it wasn't for him. But since you can never prove that, the lawsuit was pretty stupid. I'm sure the bonus checks is the only reason he cared for the merger in the first place. The dude already received close to billion dollars when you include salary and bonuses. So even if he's wrong or right the lawsuit makes him look bad.

The crux of his argument was always that he had a verbal agreement with Mel about what would happen in the event of a merger and that Mel screwed him over when push came to shove. The contract not specifically spelling that out was entirely the fault of Howard's agent. I can understand how a judge could rule the way they did, even though it's pretty obvious that the subscriber numbers were hit because of Howard.

No one is going to cry for a guy that probably has a billion dollars at this point, and he really shouldn't have complained about it on air as often as he did. The guy driving to his 9 to 5 job doesn't want to hear a billionaire whine about losing out on even more money.

To be fair Sirius and XM would have never merged if it wasn't for him. But since you can never prove that, the lawsuit was pretty stupid.

He had an explicit merger incentive that was given to him, so they built in a reward for his part of making that happen. Given the specific language acknowledging a future merger this suit seems to have been tossed out with relative ease at each level.

Grinchy

Banned
I would happily defend Howard if I believed he was owed this money. His contract does not state that his subscriber number bonuses would be hit if the 8 million existing XM subscribers (who couldn't even access his show at the time) suddenly fell under the Sirius umbrella.

Howard may have been the reason the merger was possible, but gaining millions of subscribers overnight was never supposed to count toward his performance-based bonus. If they were, it would have been in his contract. I still wonder if Howard's people purposely left it vaguely worded just in case of a merger happening, thinking that they could at least get a big fat settlement. IMO of course. I'm no lawman.

LordCanti

I would happily defend Howard if I believed he was owed this money. His contract does not state that his subscriber number bonuses would be hit if the 8 million existing XM subscribers (who couldn't even access his show at the time) suddenly fell under the Sirius umbrella.

Howard may have been the reason the merger was possible, but gaining millions of subscribers overnight was never supposed to count toward his performance-based bonus. If they were, it would have been in his contract. I still wonder if Howard's people purposely left it vaguely worded just in case of a merger happening, thinking that they could at least get a big fat settlement. IMO of course. I'm no lawman.

His agent gets a cut of whatever Howard makes, so it would have been in his best interest to make the contract as air tight as possible. I think he simply fucked up.

Grinchy

Banned
His agent gets a cut of whatever Howard makes, so it would have been in his best interest to make the contract as air tight as possible. I think he simply fucked up.

True, but what I mean is that I don't think Howard and his people ever thought that Sirius would agree to that in the first place. If they just kept quiet, they had a chance in the future of trying to steal some of the money in a settlement. I don't think either party at any point intended for a potential merger to work into his performance-based bonus, and that's the reason it isn't written into the contract.

I really don't believe Sirius would have ever agreed to paying him $300 million in the event of a merger.

I have no idea but to assume that he was being devious is ridiculous. Nothing he has ever done business-wise indicates this. He screwed up the writing details in his contract. He most likely didn't plan to steal money through a lawsuit.

I feel like I've heard Howard say in the last couple months that they could walk away from Sirius at this point. Could that be possible? If it is, I wouldn't be surprised if something came from him losing the appeal.

LordCanti

I feel like I've heard Howard say in the last couple months that they could walk away from Sirius at this point. Could that be possible? If it is, I wouldn't be surprised if something came from him losing the appeal.

It's possible if he wants to be in obvious breach of contract and get sued. I guess Sirius could let him out of it, but there's no reason why they'd want to.

I really don't believe Sirius would have ever agreed to paying him $300 million in the event of a merger.

I believe Howard when he says that he had a verbal understanding with Mel about what was supposed to happen if he turned Sirius completely around and forced a Sirius dominated merger/takeover. I also believe that Mel probably knew exactly what he was doing when that language was nowhere to be found in the contracts.

Grinchy

Banned
I have no idea but to assume that he was being devious is ridiculous. Nothing he has ever done business-wise indicates this. He screwed up the writing details in his contract. He most likely didn't plan to steal money through a lawsuit.

If he didn't plan on stealing the money through a lawsuit, then that plan just suddenly came to him and his people. That is just as bad, and it also sounds devious.

It's possible if he wants to be in obvious breach of contract and get sued. I guess Sirius could let him out of it, but there's no reason why they'd want to.

I believe Howard when he says that he had a verbal understanding with Mel about what was supposed to happen if he turned Sirius completely around and forced a Sirius dominated merger/takeover. I also believe that Mel probably knew exactly what he was doing when that language was nowhere to be found in the contracts.

this seems more likely, than the ridiculous notion that he was being devious and trying to steal it. man, the lengths some go to to try and paint Howard poorly as a thief or a piece of shit are absurd.

If he didn't plan on stealing the money through a lawsuit, then that plan just suddenly came to him and his people. That is just as bad, and it also sounds devious.

this isn't an either or scenario. He thought his contract was supposed to work a certain way and he was wrong. your implications are absurd. you should read the court findings. it has nothing to do with money for a merger. it has to do with money for subscribers that happened to be acquired through a merger.

Listening to the 4/1 show

Good: Bobby Moynahan interview. He seems like a really cool guy.

Awful: Trying to sell AGT101 as real. And the fact that certain callers call in on April Fools Day and believe not only that the channel is real but its 'awesome' makes me embarrassed to be considered a fan of the show. Its just cringe worthy.

Grinchy

Banned
this isn't an either or scenario. He thought his contract was supposed to work a certain way and he was wrong. your implications are absurd. you should read the court findings. it has nothing to do with money for a merger. it has to do with money for subscribers that happened to be acquired through a merger.

We'll agree to disagree. When there is $75 million a pop on the line for bonuses, you don't just get lazy with your contract or trust that a backroom conversation will hold up.

We'll agree to disagree. When there is $75 million a pop on the line for bonuses, you don't just get lazy with your contract or trust that a backroom conversation will hold up.

so you make a huge logical leap that he intended to steal money through a negotiated settlement? that's absurd. he's never in his entire career made a money grab. not once. if so, he'd be selling t-shirts and mugs. to turn your ire at the quality of the show into a completely wild theory is the same level of awful shit seen on Dawg Saloon. There's nothing to agree to disagree about. The reason for the lawsuit was wording in his contract that he felt one way about and his employer felt another way about.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
https://twitter.com/ArtieQuitter/status/322883198302441473/photo/1
BHscjuNCUAA73_L.jpg:large

Grinchy

Banned
Information on the lawsuit if anyone is interested:

Appellate Decision http://scarylawyerguy.blogspot.com/2013/04/in-case-you-missed-it-new-yorkappellate.html

Trial Court Ruling http://scarylawyerguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/howard-stern-lawsuit-dismissed.html

Motion Papers http://scarylawyerguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/breaking-down-stern-v-siriusxm.html

I don't know who this is who runs this site or wrote this information, but it is broken down into a nice easy-to-understand way. It's just really fucking long. The last one (motion papers) goes into some really good detail.

interesting snippets:
I do not think, having read the briefs submitted to court, that it will find, as a matter of law, that the contract term in question is clear on its face and that both parties understood it to mean only those persons who subscribed to Sirius, the service, not Sirius, the company. I say this for several reasons. First, and tellingly to me, is a passing line in Sirius’s Memorandum in Support of its Motion for Summary Judgment: “Although ‘Sirius’ is a defined term, the words ‘Sirius subscribers’ are not expressly defined[34].” If you are conceding at the outset that the term in question was not expressly defined, in my view, you are basically conceding that there are likely to be, at least at the summary judgment stage, two colorable definitions of that term such that your motion is going to get denied. You are also acknowledging that the contract was not “clear and unambiguous on its face[35]” if you are resorting to dictionary definitions, nuanced arguments about internal estimates and spinning hypotheticals about day after agreement mergers.
In Sirius’s favor, there is a point to be made that the insertion of a “merger clause” and lump sum payout suggests that the parties were aware of the possibility of a merger (although the vague language of the clause does not indicate that it would necessarily be Sirius buying XM necessarily) and that the significantly larger performance-based compensation clause would obviate the need for a lump sum payout if subscribers to another service were intended to be counted for the purposes of this contract. Further, had the merger gone the other way, that is, XM had acquired Sirius, and the merged company termed “XM Radio, Inc.” based on Stern’s reading of the Agreement, he would have no case because all the Sirius subscribers would be XM Radio subscribers.

LordCanti

I'm just starting the show, but I had to laugh at Robin's "See Howard? The rich just keep getting richer"

Howard has got to be near a billion if not over it (depending on how well he invests). I was so happy when the caller said that he was the only rich guy that couldn't get richer.

Howard's agent fucked up so bad.

RangersFan

another underwhelming show. nothing notable, nothing special, marky mark only there to promote, nothign more. amy schumer pretty much the same thing as her last 2 visits. hope tomorrow's show is better with something for them to actually discuss with the boston marathon.

Top Bottom