• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

RangersFan

Wow Howard talking about Artie and his book on Fallon briefly today. And he brought it up without a caller or anyone else bringing it up. I'm probably reading into it but I'm hoping this leads to a booking. But I don't think he has ever mentioned Artie before unless someone else brought him up.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else here when Howard asked his crew "Who's Zelda?" And none of those nerds spoke up? Then the guy that called in to call them out on it and even he did not correct Howard when he said Zelda doesn't sound like a very masculine name.

Also, I'm sure Fred also knows with his trivia knowledge.

RangersFan

Beth O's latest appearance...Holy shit, as if her appearance's can get any worse she brought the show down to a whole new level today.

Nuklear

Banned
Good lord @ Hanzi from Monday. I'm surprise Howard even puts him on the air. The guy is scary crazy. Ronnie can't protect Howard from that psycho.

I had no problems with the kittens on Monday. Shit it got me choked up but I'm an animal lover and respect what those two are trying to do. Howard is very lucky to have Beth. She's a remarkable woman.

Edit: Also, lol today @ ETM for raging when he didn't get the movie part. That guy doesn't deserve it. Howard is way too nice.

Good lord @ Hanzi from Monday. I'm surprise Howard even puts him on the air. The guy is scary crazy. Ronnie can't protect Howard from that psycho.

I had no problems with the kittens on Monday. Shit it got me choked up but I'm an animal lover and respect what those two are trying to do. Howard is very lucky to have Beth. She's a remarkable woman.

Edit: Also, lol today @ ETM for raging when he didn't get the movie part. That guy doesn't deserve it. Howard is way too nice.

What's your take on Shuli Egar's comedy: great or the greatest?

And how good is that AGT?

Nuklear

Banned
What's your take on Shuli Egar's comedy: great or the greatest?

And how good is that AGT?

I don't care about AGT. I hate Shuli so I don't care what he does. I'm very glad he isn't on the Jay Thomas show anymore. I havent' listened to the Stern show for a few years now. Ever since Art Bell came back to radio I've started listening to Stern again so Shuli being gone is the best thing ever.

bitchdog.gif

seems like a nice lady

I've decided I actually like the kitten segment as it's clearly the low point of the show thus far and impossible to defend given Howard's Imus criticisms in the past.

Read Artie's Rolling Stone interview today on dawgs. He not only stabbed himself but cut his wrists and drank bleach. Also, he wants to get on the Stern show to talk about his book but he's waiting to hear back and said Gary's reading his book currently before he gets the word. What's weird though, and what makes me think that the book must put Howard and/or the show in a bad light is that just yesterday (before the RS article came out) Gary was playing dumb about Artie wanting to come on the show and said he didn't think he would or wanted to ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpMwNTNnJkc

Holy shit that was fast. Has he ever had a show that went more than a few episodes?
He seems like a super cool dude but he's like a modern day Ted McGinley.

bitchdog.gif

seems like a nice lady
Wow this seems like something straight out of 30 Rock between Jenna Maroney and Rachel Dratch.

EDIT: Oh and apparently O&A were reprimanded by Sirius management for making fun of Howard and Beth and the whole kitten give-a-way stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJiJNBrHRc

Kuroyume

Banned

Someone asked Bababooie during the Wrap up show about having Artie in for an interview and his response to it felt so hostile to me. Something along the lines about him not hearing about Artie wanting to come in. I suppose they're uncomfortable about asking him in given what happened because of the show. Sounds like Artie would have to make the first move and ask.

Reaching for his fifth slice of pizza, Lange casually notes it happened in this very room. He chugged from a bottle of bleach, stabbed himself in the stomach nine times and slit his wrists.

lol

Are you going to go back on Howard to promote the book?
I don't know. I haven't set foot in there. Howard is afraid he's gonna say the wrong thing and set me off. He's like, "God forbid something happens." What happened was real intense. The times I've talked to him, he's been real supportive. He's happy for me that I'm back on track and doing better, but actually being on the show . . . He's afraid something might happen. I'm not saying it won't happen. Gary [Dell'Abate] has the book. He's reading the book . . . Look, if he does, he does. I'm not going to put any pressure on him because the guy has done everything for me, and he's just been amazing. But if he feels it's too intense and too risky to do it, that's gonna be his decision. And that's fine. I told the book company not to press him at all.

:/

You wrote in the book that after your suicide attempt, you held out some hope you'd return to the show at some point.
Sure. In my head I said, "Well, maybe I can still make this work again. Maybe I'm not so ready to move on." But then I really thought about it. I thought about the position I put them in. I said to myself, "Well, okay, that's probably not going to work." But there was definitely a time where I said to myself, "I can do this again." Then I said to myself, "OK, well, now what?" And my agents and managers didn't abandon me. They were there and they said, "OK. We'll just try to find a gig for you." And then I got a call from Nick DiPaolo. He said that DirecTV was a fan of his and mine and wanted to maybe do this show. And I said, "Oh my God. All right. Let's get right back on the horse." And we did a test show and in a few months we had a deal.

I want him back on the show so badly. I just know it's not going to happen anymore and that bums me out. Maybe he'll do a phone call or come in for once but that wouldn't satisfy. I just miss having him around.

Btw, the Jeff the drunk ETM bit the other day was hilarious. I love how Jeff gets under Eric's skin.

RangersFan

In a way I understand Howard's hesitation. He was artie's ONLY champion during all the speculation in early 2007 when he was missing shows left and right. And in many ways was indeed an enabler. Literally everyone from Gary, Robin, Fred, Benjy, Will, Jason, Hein, and almost every single caller was telling Howie that Artie was definitely using again but he kept defending him. It's really sad to listen to if anyone else has been listening to old shows. Whether it was his diet, his gambling, his Daner, or his drug abuse, it added a lot of content to Howard's show. It's just a shitty situation all around.

The show is clearly better with Artie but at the same time Artie clearly cannot be trusted. I shudder every time I listen to the old shows and he's lying through his teeth. And Howard is always pretty strict with people whom he felt betrayed or hurt him. Leno, Jackie, Dee, Cabbie, Artie, etc. Sure there were a few times where he had "reconciliation" with someone but the relationship is always clearly different.

In a way I understand Howard's hesitation. He was artie's ONLY champion during all the speculation in early 2007 when he was missing shows left and right. And in many ways was indeed an enabler. Literally everyone from Gary, Robin, Fred, Benjy, Will, Jason, Hein, and almost every single caller was telling Howie that Artie was definitely using again but he kept defending him. It's really sad to listen to if anyone else has been listening to old shows. Whether it was his diet, his gambling, his Daner, or his drug abuse, it added a lot of content to Howard's show. It's just a shitty situation all around.

The show is clearly better with Artie but at the same time Artie clearly cannot be trusted. I shudder every time I listen to the old shows and he's lying through his teeth. And Howard is always pretty strict with people whom he felt betrayed or hurt him. Leno, Jackie, Dee, Cabbie, Artie, etc. Sure there were a few times where he had "reconciliation" with someone but the relationship is always clearly different.

I can understand how Howard feels but for him to feel betrayed by Artie is just nonsense. He made a bit out of what Artie was doing. Howard is not stupid. He knew what was going on.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't think howard was naive enough to think artie wasn't on drugs. i just think howard didn't want artie to leave because it would hurt the show. maybe he was naive enough to think artie would figure things out on his own. even when artie talked about going into rehab howard didn't encourage it too much. i've heard rumors that artie's family does not want artie to go back on the stern show and are mad at the show as well.

RangersFan

meh show yesterday, the highlight surprisingly was the who's the better dad game. it was mild compared to most games they have, but nonetheless these days i pretty much enjoy any "event" they plan to break up the monotony of howard droning on about the same shit everyday. though it was awesome to hear the lil' lupe sound drops during the x-art girls portion. also yesterdays WUS was the most frustrating thing ever. yes depace is a moron, we all know that, but he was making some valid points in criticism of apple computers, yet pretty much every jumped on him and the dog pile including of course #1 apple fanboy ralphy cakes. pretty much every time he laid out a valid point the pro apple group countered with the typical "No, apple is better" without explaining why.

edit: also gotta love JD's new song play this morning right now live "spoonman" by soundgarden lololol

Paul McCartney now Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger. Everyone rejoice!

Maybe Howard will ask about the Nickelback hate. Any one have a valid argument about it?

RangersFan

avril and nickleback was terrible as expect. shatner was ok, wish he would do an appearance once when takei is in studio, that would be epic.

RangersFan

I know I've said it many times before but ugh, I want to quit this show. Boring guests upon boring guests, that's the show these days. Howard is all about revamping THSS into a talk show because "he's the best interviewer" meh. I've always appreciated his great interviews with GOOD guests but because there is no longer content and no new ideas the whole refocus on the show booking guests is missing it's mark. Damn i miss the days when they had so much fun shooting the shit that it didn't even matter that they didn't book a guest that day. Those shows were very often the best. BORING fucking week.

Nuklear

Banned
The Piers interview today was really good. I was expecting the opposite. The Chubby Checker shit was retarded though. The Hanzi stuff was pure gold though! lol

I know I've said it many times before but ugh, I want to quit this show. Boring guests upon boring guests, that's the show these days. Howard is all about revamping THSS into a talk show because "he's the best interviewer" meh. I've always appreciated his great interviews with GOOD guests but because there is no longer content and no new ideas the whole refocus on the show booking guests is missing it's mark. Damn i miss the days when they had so much fun shooting the shit that it didn't even matter that they didn't book a guest that day. Those shows were very often the best. BORING fucking week.

Oh c'mon you mean Avril and Nickelback didn't keep your interest? I'm bored as fuck.

Grinchy

Banned
I've just reached the Beth cat-a-thon. It basically just started, and I got to the part where one of the cats shit on the studio floor. The animal expert then demands that one of the staff members from the show come in and clean it up because she can smell it.

I can just imagine Letterman doing an animal segment where a crocodile shits on the floor and Vinny has to run out and clean it up as the animal handler waves his hands around while talking nonsensically.

VPhys

The Beth cat episode was bad radio but she didn't deserve those comments on twitter. I could tell after the segment when the listeners lashed into Howard and he told Beth about it, she really felt like crap.

The Beth cat episode was bad radio but she didn't deserve those comments on twitter. I could tell after the segment when the listeners lashed into Howard and he told Beth about it, she really felt like crap.

Pretty sure that was on purpose, given how he immediately went to negative callers combined with the constant rumblings[1] about their marriage being misery for the last few years. He's used the show to dig at personal issues in the past, no reason to think he's above it now.

[1]: Lots of unsubstantiated rumors, but most damning recently was the stuff on http://smodcast.com/episodes/get-up-off-this-5-w-nate-corddry/ after Rob Corddry's brother discussed how awful/awkward the fight with Benjy was (Stern talk starts at ~1:19:00).

RangersFan

1bIOBet.jpg

He actually looks like he dropped a few pounds...

Hopefully this means Howard helps at being less "scared" and lets Gary finally book him. I've always said the onus is on Artie to actually somewhat show he doesn't have a death wish. I watched a few of his shows on youtube a few months ago and he looked really really bad. Any improvement is a win for the guy.

Nuklear

Banned
Jackie is going to be on the show on Monday. I can't wait!

Artie will never be on again. Even if he did have him on it wouldn't be funny. Howard would have to walk on eggshells during the entire interview. It'll never be the same.

Yeah I'm certain Artie won't be on again after Gary recently pretended to not know that Artie wanted to be on the show and the same day its revealed that Gary not only knew but had read Artie's book.

And is that Rachel Fine in that picture? Kinda looks like her but kinda doesn't.

Top Bottom