• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jeanne D'arc Thread - SRPG goodness from Level5 for 29.99$

Given that most PSP games retail for 50$ here, 35$ is a steal. That's as cheap as most new DS releases.

Linkzg said:
yeah, it is much easier that way.

Access to demos is one of my chief complaints with the PSP. From day one you should've been able to get demos for PSP games online via official game sites or off of Sony's Playstation site. I shouldn't have to pre-order a game just to get a demo.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
jaundicejuice said:
Were you as excited about Rogue Galaxy?

I haven't gotten to it yet (but I will) Been spending most my time with Valkyrie Profile 2 (don't have as much time to play console games anymore..this is why I'm hyped for this game).

Also, tri-Ace is above Level 5 for me. OMG STAR OCEAN 4 pls

Diablos

Oh man, this game is SO AWESOME. Just played the demo. Day one purchase. This is quality. Which is funny, because it's from the same people who gave us Rogue Galaxy, which I personally found to be complete trash. It went to eBay so fast, lolz.

Now I need to play a demo of Wild Arms XF...

Honestly though, this seems to be on par with Final Fantasy Tactics. I've been looking for a game like this for a looooong time.

BlueTsunami said:
I haven't gotten to it yet...

Oh, you're in for a treat.

JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
DESERT WIND!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
DESERT WIND!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
DESERT WIND!

Diablos

jaundicejuice said:
Oh, you're in for a treat.

JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
DESERT WIND!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
DESERT WIND!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
JASTER!
DESERT WIND!
:lol

Oldschool

MoxManiac said:
Sweet price!

Any word on the difficulty of the game? I hope it isn't easy.

It will be easy if you level up your characters returning to cleared stages. Like in final fantasy tactics.

But is is very balanced, trust me.:D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ethelred said:
No kidding. Considering I just spent 40$ last week for a PSP port of a GBA game, I'm delighted to get this great-looking brand new PSP game for only 30. Ridiculous deal.

I'll assume that's Riviera. If so, is it better than the GBA version at all? Or is it better just to search for a used GBA copy?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'll assume that's Riviera. If so, is it better than the GBA version at all? Or is it better just to search for a used GBA copy?

The PSP game is definitely the definitive version. Janky (by PSP standards) graphics, but VERY colorful. Decent VA (and En and Jp language tracks), FANTASTIC music, 2x CG stills, and even a good bit of extra content (including a new chapter, IIRC!) It's not a question about whether it's better than the GBA version, but whether it's worth paying $40 for a PSP version of a GBA game that cost $30 2 years ago...

Pimpwerx

The demo was pretty cool. It's my first SRPG, so I liked that it had some story elements still. I don't know, but I like RPGs more than anything else for my PSP. This, Tales and Brave Story are the perfect appetizers for Crisis Core. I don't know what comes after that, and I don't care. Maybe PSP owners will get Vagrant Story Portable. :D PEACE.

Mejilan

Some PSP owners already have Vagrant Story Portable.

Observe:
snap006.jpg

ethelred

GreenGlowingGoo said:

If you missed out on the GBA game, then yeah, just grab the PSP version. The important thing isn't which system you play Riviera on but that you play Riviera.

Pimpwerx said:
The demo was pretty cool. It's my first SRPG, so I liked that it had some story elements still.

You've never played an SRPG before? Holy hell, how did you miss out on that entirely? You've got some serious catching up to do...

icecream

Public Health Threat
GreenGlowingGoo said:
New cutscenes, full voiced. I think getting the PSP version would be easier than finding a GBA copy at this point. Having both, I prefer the larger screen and voices in the PSP version though.

BlueTsunami said:
Also, tri-Ace is above Level 5 for me. OMG STAR OCEAN 4 pls
Infinite Undiscovery :D

And the release date for this game is too far away...

Mejilan

leehom said:
Ok...how do I do that? I'm going to buy a PSP Slim and Vagrant Story on it would be KILLER.

Forget about it on a PSP Slim.

You need to crack your PSP, and currently that means having one with firmware 3.50 or lower. PSP1.5 starts off at 3.60, and on top of that, is liable to have higher hardware security than the current PSP models...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WOW I love the second mission. I mean, I don't think I can heap any praise upon Jeanne D'arc that you can't say about other SRPGs, but the presentation is top notch. That's far too frequently taken for granted in the SRPG genre :lol

I'm trying to think of something to say is uniquely Jeanne, but I'm sure I'd be forgetting some game somewhere. So I'll just say what I like about it.

I like the transformations! heh

The lack of a job system is interesting. Sometimes I have trouble deciphering who is what traditional role ("job"), but I'm guessing it's more like a main series FF (say, 4 or 9) where everyone is set in a specified role. That's not all that uncommon, but it does remove a layer of customization...and complexity.

Still....

LEVEL 5 WOW

Truly becoming a not-shit company!™

ps I played through VS again on my PSP over christmas break. awezom

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Y2Kev said:
WOW I love the second mission. I mean, I don't think I can heap any praise upon Jeanne D'arc that you can't say about other SRPGs, but the presentation is top notch. That's far too frequently taken for granted in the SRPG genre :lol

I'm trying to think of something to say is uniquely Jeanne, but I'm sure I'd be forgetting some game somewhere. So I'll just say what I like about it.

I like the transformations! heh

The lack of a job system is interesting. Sometimes I have trouble deciphering who is what traditional role ("job"), but I'm guessing it's more like a main series FF (say, 4 or 9) where everyone is set in a specified role. That's not all that uncommon, but it does remove a layer of customization...and complexity.

Still....

LEVEL 5 WOW

Truly becoming a not-shit company!™

ps I played through VS again on my PSP over christmas break. awezom

OK, this is going to seem like a strange question, but during the videos I've seen of the battles, there is always this slow rotation going on. It was really annoying, is that always going on? Is there a way to turn it off?

Pimpwerx

Mejilan said:
Some PSP owners already have Vagrant Story Portable.

Observe:
snap006.jpg
Hehe, I had it for a while. And anyone complaining, YES, I am one of the chosen few who bought this game on the PS1. I played a few hours into it, then quit. I decided I wouldn't play anymore ports on my PSP when the catalog of PSP-exclusives already has me with a big backlog. I'm talking about a NEW Vagrant Story. Yes, I am forever stuck in dreamland. ;) PEACE.

Mejilan

Yeah, you could say it was a miracle that a second Valkyrie Profile was green-lighted. Another Vagrant Story? Without Matsuno? I'm not sure I'd even want to see that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GreenGlowingGoo said:
OK, this is going to seem like a strange question, but during the videos I've seen of the battles, there is always this slow rotation going on. It was really annoying, is that always going on? Is there a way to turn it off?

It doesn't rotate. Just for commercials and promotional vids I think.

Diablos

"Har, not bad, lass... But it won't be so easy in the retail version." :lol

ahaha, I love it. I've already played this demo three times.

Another Vagrant Story? Without Matsuno? I'm not sure I'd even want to see that.

If the rest of the staff including the event director, art director, character designer, music composer and most of the game design team are on board, then I don't see having a different director as a huge deal, but whatever. I still see the chances of a VS sequel or at least spiritual sequel being currently in development by Minagawa's team as about 75%.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So...no job system? How does that work and still make an SRPG interesting? I don't think I've ever played one without a job system...

Do you have a large party where each character is one specific "class" and you have to choose which to use in battle?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Picked up the demo today (along with pre-ordering it). This game is bad ass! The PSP is on such a roll right now. Tough this game is, though. Still, day 1 purchase confirmed.

Just downloaded the demo and I'm definitely going to pick this up, at 30$ I can't resist :D.

PSP's been getting some very nice RPG's lately and the (near) future seems bright as well. Awesome.

Decado

How does it compare to Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) and Tactics Ogre (PS1/SNES)? If it isn't up to those standards (which, IMO, no console SRPG has been), I doubt I could summon enough interest to try it.

Karakand

Y2Kev said:
I don't play that many SRPGs but what about the archer having healing powers?

Well, the answer was no, but the game has been pre-ordered and fully paid for (along with Metroid Prime 3).

FoxhoundNL said:
Just downloaded the demo...

Care to point out where I could get the demo from? I'd be very interested in trying this out, everyone else seems to be loving it.

Oneself

Level 5 rocks. I'm not really into this type of RPG (I like the more action oriented like Dark Cloud and Rogue), but at this price it's tempting.

jaundicejuice said:
Did a quick google search and found this megaupload link to download the demo on the Gamespot forum.

It's giving me a real shit transfer rate but was the only non-torrent link I could find.
You know that you'll only be able to play it on one of the custom firmwares, right? It's not official downloadable demo, you know.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I was a bit hesitant, then I played the demo. Wow, it interested me a lot more than I thought it would! :D
I've played a few SRPGs, but I'm not the hardcore guy who goes into them analyzing and exploiting every nook and cranny.
Based on the demo though, Jeanne hits the sweet spot for me where it's not terribly complicated and hard, but still hard enough to give me a challenge and reward me for thinking before acting. And with top-notch presentation (going by SRPG standards) at that.
But no jobs? What's that all about? So each character simply has a pre-determined "job" and you learn new skills as you level up? Is that how it works?

FoxhoundNL said:
You know that you'll only be able to play it on one of the custom firmwares, right? It's not official downloadable demo, you know.

****, that I did not know. I know the homebrew scene is big n' all on the PSP but it's something I've kind of avoided doing at this point. I was thinking once I picked up a slim PSP that I'd use my old one for homebrew, but as of now it's just staright up firmware.

nice, I went to my gamestop to pick up a gamecube controller and they had a demo for the game, just playing it a bit im pretty sure im gonna buy it now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I traded my PSP for another guitar... I now regret that decision.

Mejilan

Alright, since the download was made so freely available, I'll bite.

Video - Quite nice.
Stage 1 - Boring. Have you guys actually played an SRPG before?
Stage 2 - Ah. Definitely better than Stage 1. And it definitely starts to feel like more of its own creature, and less like a gimped TO clone.

Overall - It's but a very limited demo, so it's hard to say, but from a purely mechanics standpoint, there's absolutely nothing new or impressive here, so far. From the little I've experienced from this demo, it feels kind of like a very simplified version of Tactics Ogre, what with the way MPs start off at 0 and regenerate a set amount each turn, and the melee counterattacks. But no class/job system? Oh boy... Very nice graphics. Awful music.

ethelred

Mejilan said:
Awful music.

Is it Tomohito Nishiura's dreck again? He's a terrible composer.

Mejilan said:
From the little I've experienced from this demo, it feels kind of like a very simplified version of Tactics Ogre, what with the way MPs start off at 0 and regenerate a set amount each turn...

That may not be original, but it's not a bad thing to emulate, either. TO's MP system was absolute genius.

Top Bottom