• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jeanne D'arc Thread - SRPG goodness from Level5 for 29.99$

Wow! Awesome.

First Parappa releases at $29.99 now this?

Has Sony lowered pricing on first party software officially? If so, awesome! I payed $29.99 for TMNT GBA - Nintendo's pricing monopoly on handhelds needs to be challenged in earnest. :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ethelred said:
Is it Tomohito Nishiura's dreck again? He's a terrible composer.

Dunno. What else has he done?

That may not be original, but it's not a bad thing to emulate, either. TO's MP system was absolute genius.

Kind of reminds me of a combination of Tactics Ogre and Stella Deus, and frankly, I suspect it'll land somewhere in the middle in quality. Way better than Stella Deus, and nowhere near as tight as Tactics Ogre. General combat mechanics seem somewhat TO-ish (though archery seems to be toned down to a select, click, and hit mechanic, not taking into account topography, allies in the way, etc.) with Stella Deus' specialized characters and skills.

Stage 1 was terrible (and likely the very first map in the game, and a tutorial, at that), but Stage 2 felt like a mid-late game map, what with the level 30-something characters, and made for a MUCH better battle.

Should be a decent way to spend $30.

I'm tempted to try to go order the soundtrack (if there is one) right now based only on Mejilan's dislike of it. He's amazing in that almost every opinion on music I've ever seen him express has been the exact opposite of mine.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The Take Out Bandit said:
Wow! Awesome.

First Parappa releases at $29.99 now this?

Has Sony lowered pricing on first party software officially? If so, awesome! I payed $29.99 for TMNT GBA - Nintendo's pricing monopoly on handhelds needs to be challenged in earnest. :D

It'd be kinda ironic if first party sony was $30, cause first party nintendo is mostly $35

I downloaded the demo but am getting an error message when trying to boot it up - 80020148.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm running 3.10 OE-A, does the demo require a more recent firmware?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
UltraMagnanimous said:
I downloaded the demo but am getting an error message when trying to boot it up - 80020148.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm running 3.10 OE-A, does the demo require a more recent firmware?

Probably :(

Has it been confirmed that the new PSP allows you to preload the game onto the memory stick?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Perfect timing, I've got a loooong flight ahead of me in early September. Saving Brave Story, Tales of the World, and Jeanne D'arc for that trip.

kanugo

TekunoRobby said:
Perfect timing, I've got a loooong flight ahead of me in early September. Saving Brave Story, Tales of the World, and Jeanne D'arc for that trip.

Are you going around the world 32 times? :D

Anyway, since europe isn't receiving any Level 5 soon (Rogue Galaxy doesn't count), that's an import for me.

Defuser said:
I thought you only have a DS? :lol

As my Sec 3/4 form teacher always used to say,

"'Thought' is past tense."

Huahua close enough: 16 hours there and 14 hours back. I figure these games will entertain me for the entirety of both flights.

Going by standard handheld RPG proviso of approx. 20 hours, 2 games should be more than enough. 3 is a bit of overkill, really.

TekunoRobby said:
Huahua close enough: 16 hours there and 14 hours back. I figure these games will entertain me for the entirety of both flights.

You better dim the screen and bring a few extra battery packs.

the-iek

UltraMagnanimous said:

well, same problem here and i got the m33 :(

aznpxdd

I ran into the same problem when I rip out the update folder and compressed it to CSO. When I just put in the plain ISO it worked perfect on my 3.52-2 M33.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Pureauthor said:
Going by standard handheld RPG proviso of approx. 20 hours, 2 games should be more than enough. 3 is a bit of overkill, really.
And that's not counting the DS goodness I'm bringing along too. On my trip I'll be traveling a lot by train as well; I forgot to factor that in. I'm bringing more than enough but I guess there's no danger in over packing with a few extra little discs and cartridges. :D

How difficult is it to set up and use custom firmware? Does it make playing new releases a pain in the ass? At this point I'd just be doing it to get the Jeanne D'Arc demo as my memory stick (512MB) ain't exactly largeenough for homebrew at the moment.

Mejilan

For what its worth, the CSO I downloaded worked straight off on my 3.52 M33-2 PSP. Since this CFW is modeled after legitimate 3.52, I can run any UMD released to date, from the disc or from the memory stick. The JDA CSO is less than 200MBs, so a half-gig mem stick is more than enough for that.

TekunoRobby said:

Roughly 4 days before Metroid Prime 3 comes out, I'm setting out on a similar trip. Flying to the Mid East for 2.5 weeks, flight times of about 12 hours there, 10 hours back, not including time spent in the airports.

I too will have a SHIT TON of PSP and DS RPGs to play during my trip. But I'll only really want to play Metroid Prime 3. :/

I agree with all your comments earlier in the thread Meijin. It is quite simple and it's hopefully going to have a little more depth than shown in the demo but I'm still going to get it. TBH I kinda think SRPGs are in desperate need for something a little simpler than the Disgaea's and Phantom Braves out there and if the full game is decent I think the genre might have a few converts.

Mejilan

Actually, I think the Disgaeas and Phantom Braves of the world are utter disgraces to the SRPG name, but whatever. I'm just hoping that JDA winds up closer to Tactics Ogre than Stella Deus. That game was a freakin' travesty.

Edit - Meijin? Is my handle THAT hard to make out? You aren't even close to the first to get it wrong, but most of the others at least manage to get an 'l' in there somewhere! :lol

the-iek

UltraMagnanimous said:
I updated to 3.40OE-A and it now works. So if anyone is in the same situation - upgrade your firmware.
did you use the file from the megaupload link of this thread? cause i tried it as an cso, did not work, tried to convert it to an iso, did not work, updated, nothing worked :(

edit: had to force the region to US.

Mejilan

I used that megauploads CSO without any issues.

Are you sure that you've put it in the ISO folder of your memory stick?

Aeon712

Dunno rather to buy this day 1 or wait till I get my PSP next mth. Either way I plan on spending more time with Jeanne d Arc then all my DS games combined.

Lain

Mejilan said:
Actually, I think the Disgaeas and Phantom Braves of the world are utter disgraces to the SRPG name, but whatever.

I'm launching a Prinny squad over to have a chat with you.

jjasper

Mejilan said:
Actually, I think the Disgaeas and Phantom Braves of the world are utter disgraces to the SRPG name, but whatever. I'm just hoping that JDA winds up closer to Tactics Ogre than Stella Deus. That game was a freakin' travesty.
Glad I am not the only one. Of course I still think I fly solo in not really liking Fire Emblem

VegaShinra

Just picked up the demo and loved every minute of it. This should tie me over until Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea hit later this year. Hopefully the game doesn't get overshadowed by those two titles though.

zoku88

Mejilan said:

Edit - Meijin? Is my handle THAT hard to make out? You aren't even close to the first to get it wrong, but most of the others at least manage to get an 'l' in there somewhere! :lol
I agree with you for Disgaea, but I really loved Phantom Brave. You had to account for the limited amount of turns your characters could inhabit the map.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Kadey said:
Toady is in it. That's enough to justify a purchase.

What is the deal with Level 5 and that frog/toad? Is it a Japanese thing to associate an amphibian with weapon/item synthesis?

Top Bottom